Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:58:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I have a job...  (Read 4412 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
I have a job...
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:44 pm »
I am working now and want to make the switch from medicaid and SSI to private insurance. I am thinking of calling social security and telling them I am working and can they put my benefits on hold right now until I need them again. Also if I can keep my medicaid.
 But I kind of doubt that can happen. So I'm wondering if anyone on here new of a company that would insure me.

Offline bear60

Re: I have a job...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:26:24 pm »
I am going to stick my neck out here.......as if I dont all the time anyway. 
  What do you mean "I am working now"....as a waitress, as a web designer...or what.  If you are looking to buy your own insurance, does that mean you are self employed or that your employer woun't provide you with HMO insurance?
From personal experience, if you try to pay for your own HMO insurance, it costs between $500 and $1000 and month.  I was self employed and had to buy my own....the way I reduced cost was to join the Chamber of Commerce here, and join their GROUP PLAN.
Also, from experience, there are plans social security has to ease you back into the work force.  ( BUT, your doctor needs to be part of this process. )  Are you really ready to take on the stress of full time employment?????????????????????
I would NEVER call social security and announce I am back at work.
Do you have a social worker affiliated with an AIDS group?  Ask for one.  Or call the AIDS Law Project.

As what company will sell you an HMO plan...it depends on how much you have to spend!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:35:05 pm »
The state I live in has what's called "Med Works."  It's the Medicaid for working disabled people.  I pay a certain premium for this type of Medicaid and it's always active.  I believe other states have similar programs, but you would have to call your Medicaid office.

As for asking SSA to put your benefits "on hold," well, there are different rules for SSI and SSDI, and I'm not really sure about SSI.  You can go on SSA's website (ssa.gov) and search "blue book 2012."  That has all the info about working while on disability. 

I wouldn't necessarily "not tell" SSA about working.  When they find out you've been working and collecting benefits, there could be a huge amount you would have to pay back.  But I do agree with bear60 concerning getting a hold of someone at an ASO; then,ask for the name of a "benefits counselor."  These are people specially trained in helping people on disability (both kinds) get back into the work force.  They can also give advice on keeping benefits while working, what those rules are etc.   I do know that people on SSI have a more restrictive amount one can make while working and keeping SSI.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:58:35 pm »
Idee, here's the link to the Red Book site from Social Security that Betty suggested you take a look at.

SSI and SSDI are handled differently by the SSA regarding how much a person can earn and continue to receive benefits.

Take a look at the information for SSI here.

But no matter what you do, as others have suggested here, you need to speak with someone in detail about how the possibility of working will affect your current benefits.

I know that if you make over whatever the SGA (Standard Gainful Amount) per month when you are on SSDI, you will be on the fast track to having your benefits cut off completely after a certain period of months pass -- because the way the system is set up, the SSA gives you time to figure out if you can transition back into working full time.

They start you off with 9 months (I think?) of what they call the Trial Work Period (TWP) where you can make as much as you want and it won't affect your benefits.  After that, I think it goes into something else -- I forget the name of what they call it and you have 36 months where you have to make the SGA or LESS before they will cut you off. The only good thing about this period is that if you get cut off, you can get your benefits re-instated pretty quickly, if it turns out you can no longer work -- meaning that you don't have to re-apply and go through the entire process again.

I'm not sure if it's the same for SSI, but you need to look at those links -- because they have some examples of how it works -- and also speak to someone.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:53:46 pm »
Congrats on the job as I am UK based I cannot offer any advice .I have trouble keeping up with the UK system. However where I think they share is is the need to get Expert advice before any big decision.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:04:30 am »
Oh, the "red book," and I said "blue book," sorry.  There are different rules for SSI.  I know all about SSDI since I've been going through the process for the past couple years.  Solo is right, there is a 9 month trial work period where a person can make as much as they want.  Then there are either 2 or 3 grace period months after this, when a person is making over sga, where SSA will continue benefits.  But after that, if someone makes over SGA they're off SSDI.  During the immediate 36 month period after that, if a person falls below SGA and sends SSA their paystubs, they can get that month's benefit.  And if a person finds they can't work, there's "expedited reinstatement" where a person can receive benefits without re-applying.  And actually that lasts for 5 years. A person really does need to make sure they're reporting income.  I thought I was safe, even worked with a benefits counselor, and still have to repay a month.  Which was better than it was at first, when they said I owed over $3,000.  Of course, I got the government involved and that helped a lot.

Also, the amount that triggers a trial work period month is different than SGA.  It's lower, something in the $600's I believe.  And they don't have to be in a row (the trial work period months).  SGA, for this year, is $1010/month.  So see, there is a difference.  In other words, if a person on SSDI works and makes $550/month, they're totally safe, as that's not even enough income to trigger a trial work period month. 

I'm not sure about SSI rules, but they're in that red book that Solo linked.  Please look at them and if you have questions, contact SSA.  You should contact them anyway and ask for a benefits counselor, who can help you navigate these things.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:12:09 pm »
Thank you. I favorited the red book page and will take a look at it when I have more time to read in quiet. I actually quit my job and decided to go back to school for a better chance at earning more more money. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.