Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:32:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is it too morbid...  (Read 6479 times)

Offline 404error

Is it too morbid...
« on: October 26, 2007, 06:07:06 pm »
I celebrate my HIV birthday.  I've made it the day I was diagnosed which was February 10th.  I don't celebrate out of happiness to have contracted the disease, more out of respect for what it has done and is capable of.  I guess celebrating is the wrong word, more like paying respect to.  Does anyone else do this, mark the day they were diagnosed on an annual basis?
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline srmn98

Re: Is it too morbid...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:12:12 pm »
I had my first "birthday" earlier this month. It had quite an impact on me -- emotionally I had a lot of anxiety and grief. At the same time, I know the day marked the first year in many where I have been forced by this virus to look at my life honestly and make the appropriate changes to continue with a good life. (whatever that means !)  So yes, I definitely recognize the day.

Offline 404error

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:15:25 pm »
I went out for dinner with some of my friends earlier this year.  I wanted to do something nice for myself that day (and I'll continue on with that) and to be able to reflect on my life.  I guess I do that often enough but for some reason I feel like I should make time in my day to ensure I do that every February 10th...

Offline keyite

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 06:25:11 pm »
I think it's hard not to. My first anniversary was last month and in the days leading up to it it was playing on my mind quite a lot. A bit of sadness, when I think about that first month. It was pure hell. But also a realisation that I've come a long way since then and that it has made me stronger and prompted some positive and long overdue changes in my life.

I don't think I'll ever be celebrating it as such, or even particularly marking it, but I think it's inevitable that it causes you to look back and take stock.

Dan J.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:19:37 pm »
I was diagnosed on May 20th, 1986. I can say that I have done anything "special" on this day through the years. I'm usually too depressed on the 20th to go out & do anything. This year I stayed in bed all day & will probably do the same next year.

Dan

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 07:33:19 pm »
OK, upallnight, I don't get it.  If you were diagnosed Feb. 10th, what are you talking about having an anniversary of the date when it's October 26th?  Did I miss something?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:35:31 pm »
Back in the day I use to go out and get jiggy with my virus. Now we just stay in and rent a movie.

p.s. am i missing something or are you "celebrating" a little early?

Dan J.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 07:43:44 pm »
I guess he wants to plan a big shindig! :D

Offline 404error

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:48:52 pm »
I get pretty baked, pretty often, so this was only a random thought that ran through my mind at the time of posting.  Nearly everything I write online comes to me that way.  I'm stoned, something comes to mind and I type it out.  I haven't even finalized plans for tonight, there's no way I'm planning for February.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:50:50 pm »
I don't actually celebrate or even pay respect to but, I am aware of those dates every year.  If we were on the Jeopardy set and Alex Trebec said,"June 26, 1996", I would punch my button and say, "What is the date Michael Sonomabeach found out he had AIDS?"  If we were spinning Wheel of Fortune and Vanna White turned the letters CH_ I S_MAS 1994,  I would tell Pat Sajak, "Michael Sonomabeach has HIV", the answer would be wrong but the date correct so, another contestant would win the prize while all I got was a "lovely parting gift"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael
(who has spent entirely too much time on the game show circuit)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:19:15 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:34:04 pm »
The thought has never crossed my mind to celebrate the day I exited and re-entered my body through my eyeballs after the tester uttered the word " ...positive." I can think of a hundred plus things to celebrate, but that would not be among them.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 11:12:04 pm »
I don't remember the exact day any more.

I know it was in July 1985.

I just remember the doc coming into the room, telling me I was positive, that I had about two years before I croaked and that I should start getting things in order, then he left the room.

But, the actual date escapes me.

So, I celebrate for an entire month - not that I am a possie, but that the damn doctor who gave me the news was dead wrong about when I would shuffle off this mortal coil.

Funny part is, I outlived the doc too.  :o

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 11:13:49 pm »
I remember the day I was diagnosed, 5th April 2002, but the only reason I celebrate is because my beautiful Border collie Annie who was born on that day.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline seekay70

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 12:19:05 am »
The day that I recieved my diagnosis, I was celebrating my 8th wedding anniversary.. What a present to recieve.  I am now going through a divorce and would rather forget that day.  I have had no adverse effects from this disease, I consider myself lucky in that aspect.I look at it as another of lifes challenges, I was raised in foster care...my bio father died when I was 15 years old and my bio mother whom I have seen one time in 30 years does not believe that I am her daughter,....it is all of these things that have made me the person that I am today and I will keep trudging on down the road trying to avoid any more potholes...lol

Sherry

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 08:01:57 am »
I remember the date.  It was Feb. 12, 1989.  The only reason I remember it is because it was three days before my first husband died.  Of course I remember that date.

Sherry, I would encourage you to join us females in the "Positive Women's" thread.  Love to hear more from you. Sounds like you've been through a lot.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.