Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:05:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 484
Total: 484

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Would like to visit Thailand can I?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Fondoo

Would like to visit Thailand can I?
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »
    I have never traveled to another country so any info about getting a passport would be helpfull. I have been searching around and it looks like there are no restrictions for me to take a trip over,am I right?

Offline komnaes

Re: Would like to visit Thailand can I?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:26:16 am »
Yup.. and if you're from the US, Canada or any number of European countries you don't need to apply for a visa. Just go with your passport and there's no restriction for entrance.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline joemutt

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 01:30:35 am »
Like Komnaes said. If you arrive without visa you can stay for up to 30 days.

However if you'd like to stay longer the single entry tourist visa allows you to stay 60 days extendable once in Thailand with 30 days for a total of 90 days. The double entry tourist visa would allow you to stay 60 + 30 extended, exit, 60 + 30 extended for a total of 180 days. Good news is that until 31 March 2011 these visa are free. You can get them through the mail. (see website thai embassy washington, see also thaivisa.com)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:32:12 am by joemutt »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:01:40 am »
So, how did you come to choose Thailand as your first trip destination outside your home country?

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:05 am »
    You should have a USA passport anyways. 

And of course you can visit Thailand (just avoid the tuk tuk drivers ..lol).

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:48 am »
    You should have a USA passport anyways. 

And of course you can visit Thailand (just avoid the tuk tuk drivers ..lol).

I liked the tuc tuc rides , its an adventure in itself LOL  ... and the locals kept us cool in April when the water festival was going on .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:31 am »
I liked the tuc tuc rides , its an adventure in itself LOL  ... and the locals kept us cool in April when the water festival was going on .

one word....DEATHTRAPS!

oh and forget about the "Ping Pong Show"    go for the "Banana Show"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »
My bf has gone to Thailand on holiday twice in the past two years and never had a problem taking his meds with him.

One word of advice though - make sure you get travel health insurance. It can be difficult to come by for people with hiv though. There is a company here in the UK that accepts people with pre-existing conditions including hiv. They ask you if you are on meds and what your CD4 count is. As long as it's over 200, they don't charge you any more money than they charge someone without any health conditions. I know this first hand because when my neg ex-partner and I used them, his premium was the same as mine. Their prices are VERY reasonable.

http://www.freedominsure.co.uk/

It's very good insurance and covers just about everything, including theft, damage to property, cancelled flights etc, not just health. I'm not sure if they will issue insurance to people who are not living in the UK, but they may have an American sister company or know of an American company who also accepts people with pre-existing conditions.

You may also need a vaccination or two. CDC traveller's information for Thailand.

As for how to get your passport, check this website out... http://www.americanpassport.com/

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:22:09 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Fondoo

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:23:36 pm »
So, how did you come to choose Thailand as your first trip destination outside your home country?

Some of my favorite Buddhist Monks have studied there so I would love to see the temples and get a feel of a Buddhist society.Also I am self employed and need some major dental work and I hear it's like 1/3 the price there.This trip is diffidently still in the fantasy stage but I'm stoked can at least entertain the thought.
    Thank you for the helpfull links Ann you rock
      Namaste

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »
Their healthcare, in Bangkok, is phenomenal and the temples incredible. The people, quite special.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 10:51:16 am »
I've been to Thailand many times and it really is a wonderful country. Bangkok is frenetic, but addictive, and the people are generally very welcoming. Ignore warnings about tuk tuk 'death traps'- they are great fun, cheap, and very much a part of the experience.
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 10:56:23 am »
I agree about the tuk tuks. Just keep your arms/hands inside. Traffic is so intense in Bangkok, it's quite exhilarating to be in it, exposed to the open air. What you'll find amazing are the motorcyclists, men and women, and the transporting of toddlers, groceries and more, on them. They take many risks in traffic and sadly, there are many fatalities in Bangkok per year due to motorcycle crashes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:11:37 am by emeraldize »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 11:01:59 am »
while in Bangkok I really enjoyed taking a river tour on a long tail boat , its a great way to see some of the temples from the river . The best part of the river tour was back in the canals where the local people live .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline komnaes

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:43:41 am »
I don't find tuk tuk more convenient than a regular taxi. I hate to have to bargain as well because as tourists we always get overcharged.

I have to admit though I used the motorbike taxis very often when I was there for holidays.. it's much quicker than any other means of transportation for short trips (say no more than a few blocks) and I would pick it if I knew I would not be going on traffic-heavy roads, though one time I got really freaked out when my driver was speeding up and trying to go through between two buses!
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »
I've been to Thailand many times and it really is a wonderful country. Bangkok is frenetic, but addictive, and the people are generally very welcoming. Ignore warnings about tuk tuk 'death traps'- they are great fun, cheap, and very much a part of the experience.

uh whatever

edited to add.   Try going up to Chiang Mai, I enjoyed it much better than the very busy Bangkok.  I volunteered at the Elephant Nature Park for bit which was amazing (a rescue and sanctuary rather than the awful and abusive elephant trekking camps)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:40:41 pm by sharkdiver »

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 06:37:26 pm »
It is a wonderful country. I have visited it quite some times and spent 1 month over there in 2008.

ANd of course the friendly beautiful people and the spirituality are grat ... and fo course THAI FOOD

Namaste

Herman
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 05:35:22 am »
uh whatever

edited to add.   Try going up to Chiang Mai, I enjoyed it much better than the very busy Bangkok.  I volunteered at the Elephant Nature Park for bit which was amazing (a rescue and sanctuary rather than the awful and abusive elephant trekking camps)

My bf goes to a small fishing village about an hour north of Bangkok and absolutely loves it. There are some tourist, but not enough to make the place nuts. I don't think he'd bother staying in Bangkok these days.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 11:16:54 am »
My bf goes to a small fishing village about an hour north of Bangkok and absolutely loves it. There are some tourist, but not enough to make the place nuts. I don't think he'd bother staying in Bangkok these days.

I stayed only a few days in Bangkok both times I visited . I was there to scuba dive and island hop down south . Though I must say the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok was a real treat , the spa on the Japanese side of the hotel was incredible , thank god it was all comped or I would have been staying else where .  

Thialand and its people are an exquisite thing to visit . I had no idea about the sex industry or the exploitation of the very young that goes on there and when confronted in taxicabs with menus of young women to choose from it brought tears to my eyes that later turned to anger .

As for my high moral stance after a month there and few cocktails my boyfriend and I did end up paying to see a woman perform a neat trick with a gold fish but only because the woman with a bird had gone home . It was performance art not sex after all ::)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:18:45 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 12:52:14 pm »
Menus of girls (or boys) proffered from the backseats of taxis would make me cry too. I'll never understand how people can treat children like that.

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.