Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:55:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773215
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lab Question  (Read 2158 times)

Offline tednlou2

Lab Question
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:58:47 am »
I mentioned in another thread that I got my worst labs last week, since I began getting labs in 2009.  My doc moved my appts from 3 months to 4 months.  However, I still wanted to keep my labs as close to 3 months.  Over the last year, this caused a big difference from the date I did labs to my appt.  The bad labs last week caused me to take a look at my labs over 2013.  I've had a few off labs over the years.  Each time, I figured they would be off, because I was having a lot of anxiety. 

February 19, 2013 lab collection (These represent my norm over the years):

CD4- 672
CD4%- 24.04
CD8- 1,629
CD8%- 58.23
Viral Load- 31,400 (this was highest to date, as usually 15-25k bouncing around).

May 17, 2013 lab collection (I was feeling a lot of anxiety)

CD4- 425
CD4%- 25
CD8- 971
CD8%- 57
Viral Load- 51,800
CD4/CD8 ratio- 0.44 (This and the ones below hadn't been given to me before)
CD3- 1,400
CD3%- 82
Lymphocytes Absolute- 1,716

July 29, 2013

CD4- 568
CD4%- 20
CD8- 1,593
CD8%- 57
Viral Load- 27,200
CD4/CD8 ratio- 0.36
CD3- 2,194
CD3%- 79
Absolute lymphocytes- 2,795

I got the last labs today, while meeting with the pharmacist counselor.  I decided to meet with them again, just to educate myself on meds, in case I would need to make a decision, if a trend was becoming clear.  I last met with them in 2009, and there are more med options.  I left thinking while my CD4 was not back in the 600's or 700's, everything else seemed back to where is has been.  Psychologically, 568 is more reassuring than 425.  I always said I would start, when a trend around 500 began to show.  Then, I looked at the CD4%.  While my CD4 went up, it dropped. 

After 4 years, I still don't know how to really read these numbers, to see what is really a change and what isn't.  My main question is are the last two labs basically saying the same thing?  Would the drop in CD4% really make the increase in CD4 no change from my worst labs?  Are the last two labs saying the same thing, basically?  I have always blamed the few "off" labs on high anxiety.  It happened a few years ago, after a fight with a family member.  I was having a lot of anxiety, and my CD4 dropped into the 500's, but then bounced back to where it was next lab.  This is the first time I've had 2 consecutive labs, where my CD4 was under 600.  While the bad panic attacks have gotten much better, I think my daily anxiety has increased. 

I'm just curious whether the last two labs are saying the same thing, so I will know when I compare them to my next labs. 

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Lab Question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:57:10 am »
I see no significant differences anywhere in the 3 -- except maybe the 20% CD4%.  Frankly, I'd just chalk that up as an outlier at this point and happily move onward.  What I would try hard NOT to do -- is keep focusing, worrying about these results.  It certainly isn't going to help your anxiety.
I know you are stuck on that CD4 being below 600 -- sure, you should watch that, as you aren't on meds yet, but even on meds my CD4s swing all over the place at times, but generally stay around 750 (high of 1000+, low of 500).

So -- relax, focus on the happy stuff and enjoy life.
Mike

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:29 pm »
Ted, I would tell a stranger to listen to their body but you are hyper-tuned to yours almost to a fault. I think you a prone to over-reading a value outside the norm and a change in general at that. If you haven't had an illness in the last year that absolutely knocked you on your ass, and if in general you feel pretty good every day, then keep a holding pattern.

You are correct in that anxiety affects your health; I don't want to downplay that. I've been medicated for anxiety since my diagnosis. But I think your numbers are pretty steady. Keep yourself steady. Other than anxiety, have you noticed any other physical manifestations that coincide with the changes in your lab values? I apologize if I've missed anything in other threads.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:12:14 pm »
They don't seem all that different.

You think starting meds would reduce or increase your anxiety?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.