Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:14:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 753
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 736
Total: 739

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Executive Order -- Revised List of Quarantinable Communicable Diseases  (Read 2968 times)

Offline zach

In the fight to contain and control Ebola, there seems to be a little spill over. Just so you folk are aware, if you show signs of pneumonia, you can now be detained and quarantined without due process.

Enyoy

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/07/31/executive-order-revised-list-quarantinable-communicable-diseases

EXECUTIVE ORDER
- - - - -
REVISED LIST OF QUARANTINABLE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 264(b) of title 42, United States Code, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1.  Amendment to Executive Order 13295.  Based upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Acting Surgeon General, and for the purposes set forth in section 1 of Executive Order 13295 of April 4, 2003, as amended by Executive Order 13375 of April 1, 2005, section 1 of Executive Order 13295 shall be further amended by replacing subsection (b) with the following:

"(b)  Severe acute respiratory syndromes, which are diseases that are associated with fever and signs and symptoms of pneumonia or other respiratory illness, are capable of being transmitted from person to person, and that either are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic, or, upon infection, are highly likely to cause mortality or serious morbidity if not properly controlled.  This subsection does not apply to influenza."

Sec. 2.  General Provisions.  (a)  Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department, agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b)  This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

BARACK OBAMA

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: Executive Order -- Revised List of Quarantinable Communicable Diseases
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:19:06 pm »
Thank you.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Torchwood

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:59:56 pm »
Glad I had my pneumonia shot 4 years ago. Good information to know though. Thank you.
Discovered 4/2006
VL: 1600
CD4: 1005
Started Complera 10/2011
VL: 48,500
CD4: 570
1/17/12
VL: Undetectable
CD4: 890
4/12
CD4: 895
11/12
CD4: 1193
4/12
CD4: 1461
11/13
CD4: 1273
5/14
CD4: 1788
11/14
CD4: 1532
5/30/15
CD4: 1313
VL: HIV-1 RNA Detected: < 40 copies/mL of plasma.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:18 pm »
That would be a lot of quarantined folks, for pneumonia.  I mean, there are tens of thousands of cases.  I suspect this will result in profiling.  If you have dark skin with pneumonia, then you would be the one quarantined.  White grandma-- not.

This is just so odd.  When you read about pneumonia, most sites say people are infected by the bacteria already living in our noses and throats, which got an opportunity to get to the lung and cause disease.  Having said that-- both times I got it, I was around the same family member, who had it.  I only found that out later-- both times.  Could be a huge coincidence.  Perhaps it is more communicable. 

So, what about flu?  Flu causes so many deaths and is often the cause of pneumonia.  Why would flu not be included?  It expressly states it is not included.  It certainly has the chance to cause a pandemic.  How many people, especially elderly, have died or suffered badly, because someone had flu and went on to work?  Very confusing why pneumonia was added, when it seems it is very unlikely to be transmitted-- especially to those with fully functioning immune systems. 

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:46:45 am »
Hate to tell you all this, but there are a number of legal precedents that allow States to quarantine you for the Public's Health.  No need for a list -- just a real concern.  Now -- you do have the right to fight your quarantine in court (via a lawyer, of course), which is how this can be kept in check.  I'd have to pull out my old text on "The Law and the Public's Health" for specifics, but I have to head off to work now so.......
Though, I'm not sure that the Federal Government has ever been involved with quarantines -- seems to me that it should be a more "local" thing.

M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.