Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 418
Total: 418

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: That "Price" Sure As Hell Ain't Right: Wife of Former Health Secretary Comments  (Read 5769 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Absolutely Disturbing and Evil:

Excerpt:

People with HIV should be quarantined, and the U.S. would be safer if they “died more readily,” according to Betty Price, a Republican state representative and wife of former Health Secretary Tom Price.

The Georgia-state lawmaker and former anesthesiologist, who now represents people who live in the northern Atlanta area, was asked in a hearing what the U.S. is “legally able to do” to limit the spread of HIV throughout the state.

“It’s almost frightening, the number of people who are living that are carriers with the potential to spread,” Price said during a Georgia House of Representatives committee meeting on access to health care in the state (around the one-hour mark of the video). “Whereas in the past, they died more readily, and at that point they’re not posing a risk. So we’ve got a huge population posing a risk if they’re not in treatment.”

Link:

http://www.newsweek.com/tom-prices-wife-georgia-lawmaker-says-people-hiv-should-be-quarantined-689836

OT
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:42:36 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline harleymc

It's such a brain fart that it's funny.

First that she kvetches that we're living too long, then kvetches that we are infectious because we aren't on treatments.

Somewhere between treatments extend lives and U=U, she thinks that longevity with effective ART rubs off on those without ART.

I'm not surprised that she no longer works in the medical field.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Yeah. Very sick, illogical and twisted view of people living with HIV and perhaps an element of misusing recent u=u hype to mislead people.

With or without treatment day to day contact is not a risk. Period and anyone this late in the game believing otherwise should have their head examined.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline zach

kvetch, good scrabble word

More interested in that word than anything that bitch or her husband have to say about us

Offline daveR

How many others still carry these irrational thoughts with them. They should by all accounts be well educated and know better.
The stigma and discriminstion will never leave this condition. Even if they find a cure to some we will still be the people who had the virus. Surprised she doesn't want us tagged in some way.

Dave

Offline zach

Dave, take heart, she'll die soon. Old folks die readily

I promise you I'll piss on her grave laughing

Offline BKKKevin

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:48:35 pm by BKKKevin »

Offline em

here is some spin for it

at least she is bringing some much needed attention by grabbing headlines

might help  those of us with HIV making some people think about HIV as still out there? making it seem worse now that people are living longer might be dark version  but true by living longer we are a burden to  our  economic system medication is expensive and my productivity is down ( i do not produce as much as a non HIV positive person might) that I would like more then anything to be a more productive member of society who wouldn't  and making others think about maybe finding a cure might be nice  ?  ( even though by getting old she is just as much a burden to society so why stop at people with HIV gather up old people to  they already do that it is called retirement homes ) May Be HIV positive shelters instead of quarantine just call it by another name ??

maybe what she said will make people think about funding research and HIV treatment

ways to help instead of ignoring and not thinking about it

bad press is still a call for action even if what is mentioned  is in the wrong direction

bad attention at least is some attention to a neglected topic Just saying

always a bright side like civil disobedience to draw attention to a topic playing to fear to get action maybe proposing extremist actions might be beneficial might not be such a bad thing. if it makes others think about a problem the results might be just what we want making people think about HIV as something to work on?

even is something is insignificant, negligible not important enough to get noticed not on anyone's mind  it is  not likely to happen it still has some merit to ponder or think about?  even if the thought should not be as long as this post turned out to be

open for debate? or just condemnation and dismissal as not worthy of getting much needed media attention ?

believe it or not she in my crazy thought, did us a great service by playing to fear to get attention

just wanted to share a thought or two

thank you for having this website for in my way of thinking is what it is for sharing thoughts about HIV

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Bad attention is bad attention at this stage. People look towards lawmakers to be more knowledgeable and end up believing such shit, its a problem.

Can We Quarantine People Living With HIV?

Georgia lawmaker Betty Price says her statement was “provocative.” Elton John calls it “horrific.”

https://www.poz.com/article/can-quarantine-people-living-hiv

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline em

bad attention is bad attention

bad press over no press

no press is like it does not exist
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:48:10 pm by em »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
I regularly hear gay men say hateful things about HIV+ people.

There are 2 mindsets in this world. Fearful and liberal.  The conservative (fearful) mind seems increasingly a pox on civilisation.  People who are unable to think critically.

Shudder that this creep was ever in the health profession but I know from experience there are more like her, still working.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Harry Belefonte wasn't wrong the other day. When you reach a tipping point in a culture, of fear and narrow-mindedness, selfishness, and scapegoating, the gas chambers loom up - not as an inevitability, but as a reminder of how routine evil can become. 
Do not forget that EUGENICS, one of the things we despise the German Fascists for, was EXTREMELY strong in the US of Amercia.

The hate and bigotry and fear I hear in this creep's opinions are the same I heard all through the 80's.  AIDS was the deserved disease, god's wrath on homos, drug addicts and the blacks, we were expensive, we were dangerous and immoral and we were all doomed, and for the latter, the sooner we died the better.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Offline mecch

PS the irony or hypocrisy of me stereotyping the conservative - fearful mindset for being hateful (me hating on the hateful) isn't lost on me. 

I don't know what to do with this. 

Maybe this person needs to have a heart to heart with Bono of U2. Supposedly he worked wonders on Jesse Helms.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
bad attention is bad attention

bad press over no press

no press is like it does not exist

Personally I feel the time of being content that bad noise or bad press is at least press coverage is over if you ask me.  Sick of waiting for headlines when we should be making far more of our own, particularly during this time with the advancements that have been made.

I include in bad press, headlines about "cure's" that simply lead people to mistakenly believing HIV cured or near cured, equaling in young people taking risks, or worse delaying treatment / not being treated, infecting others and becoming sick or dying. Other bad press and people with media attention grow and continue to create a level of stigma and misunderstanding, like this Lady. Clear and swift push-back is needed, undoing the damage from bad press is pointless, we need people to be better educated this includes from "good" press and headlines, so they can push back when idiots like this open their traps to start with.

But I don't think we will see eye to eye on this one, and I don't want to hijack the thread either. So ill just chalk this one down to, agreeing to disagree.

Take it easy

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline em

I had written a long fright filled what if scenario

but would not want to burden you with my missguided thought processes 

under the current administration and leadership such a thought might actually gain some ground at least in the US were absurdity seems to be the law of the land the zeitgeist  of our  time

I hope this is received with the humor I had meant it to be 

wouldn't it be cosmic justice that while they are trying to conceive this evil endeavour a cure is found, A hollywood ending in real life

sorry I have to clean up the living areas for the home I live in no one else here wants to do ,  so it is my task to get done

all my best to you

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
The South is still a scary place...
I'm sure she's a good Christian and sits in church every Sunday with the rest of the hate spewing assholes
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
I think they should quarantine people like her
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.