Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 376
Total: 378

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Urgent opinion please..................another shock  (Read 14291 times)

Offline deniur efil

Urgent opinion please..................another shock
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:29:31 pm »
OK I went for my first interview with my doctor after testion HIV+ 4 weeks ago

First I will give you the details of what was another unexpected test result, my CD4 count was 150 and my VL was 3000.

Now initially this almost made me sick on the spot, I continue the session with the doc as best I could and on the way home I started to consider one aspect of what he told me, I sent an email to him with 2 senarios, I will just post the email I sent which basically explains what I'm thinking about, the main question I have is about senario 2, the dip in CD4 after infection and the time frame around this and is it possible that senario 2 could be possible if not probable, any replies would be greatly appriciated

Here is the email

Hi Suzanne, as you know I saw the doctor today and it has raised some questions for me, I had a long
think on the way home on the train, now I guess I was sort of thrown a bit when the doctor said my CD4 count
was only 150, but there are a couple of scenarios that would impact on this, perhaps you could forward the following
to the doctor for him to maybe put together a short reply or maybe you can do yourself.

scenario 1
OK during my session with the doctor I talked about an illness I had back in April/May 2007, I had indicated to him
that this may have been the result of a seroconversion, assuming that is the case then I have been infected with HIV some 10 months or so,
but during the investigation into the illness the hospital did do a number of blood tests one of which was HIV - it was negative, I since had another test
from one of those urine kits a few months later which was also negative, I don't know how accurate those tests are but it was negative.

Taking the above into consideration it could well mean that up to around October of last year I was HIV negative.

scenario 2

Suppose I was actually infected with HIV  in the November December time this may account for the low reading of CD4 in Feb because the doctor
explained to me about a graph of CD4 after initial infection showing a dip down then a recovery to sort of normal levels.

Considering the scenario 2 I did not pick up from the doctor the time frame that this dip takes place so my question is.

Is scenario 2 possible if I was initially infected with HIV  in the October/November/December time frame ?

Perhaps the doctor could take a few minutes to explain the time frame of the dip in CD4 and if scenario 2 is actually possible

Thanks if you can clear this up for me

Offline deniur efil

Re: Urgent opinion please..................another shock
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:38 pm »
very surprised nobody has posted a reply here

is it really that bad..........................................I took it on the chin 2 times in the last 4 weeks is it good from here on or is it so bad nobody wants to tell me

68 views and not one reply   :-(

not good for me

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:27:40 pm »
Dear Life,

Yup I read backwards as well as forwards. ;)

The thing you've gotta understand about HIV blood test results is that one or two sets of labs don't really mean a lot. It's all about trends over time, and quite frankly the numbers you've given us don't tell us a lot.

On the day your bloods were taken you had 150 CD4 cells per ml of blood. Well that is low, but CD4 absolute counts fluctuate considerably. You should also find out what your CD4 % was from that test. The CD4 % is a more stable figure that gives us a better idea of how our immune systems are going.

The VL result you report is also low but VL results can also fluctuate wildly from test to test.

The bottom line is, you're going to need to have a number of these labs done before anyone can say for sure what's going on with you.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:41:08 pm »
Den, don't misread into the lack of responses thus far. I totally agree with Matty. Sure you would have liked to have gotten happier numbers. But I think it would be a big mistake to try to backtrack into explanations and/or give such weight to this report to base decisions on it.

Getting additional results in the coming months will give you and your doctor a sense of the direction and will form a better basis for forming a treatment plan. Meantime work on doing healthy things in your life like rest, good nutrition, appropriate exercise and everything you can think of along those lines.

Let's see what the pattern is like. In the early months post-infection numbers can jump all over the place. The important thing is for your doctor to be keeping a watch.

You're always welcome here to talk about anything that's on your mind as well as to ask questions.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline deniur efil

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:15:13 pm »
you guys know what has me worried here, a CD4 reading of 150, how many people have a reading like that after only being infected 10 months or 5 months depending on which of the senarios is correct, either way for me it is very very disturbing, I am interested in experienced people here shedding some light on it, good or bad I need to know.

I did have a hep C jab a week to 10 days before the bloods where taken, the doctor said this would drop it but not by very much, the strange thing is my VL reading of only 3000, so CD4 150  25% and a VL of 3000, I find it difficult to get my head round this mostly because the 2 reading for me sort of contradict each other, could this be a very early detection, would a very early detection show  readings like these, has anyone else experienced this, are still alive to talk about it ?? or what else would cause this, quite frankly it is doing my head in especially when nobody here has much to say about it, sort of like nobody has the nerve to tell me how bad this is, yes mabe me being paranoid but guys and girls this whole thing is so new to me, I only found out a few weeks ago

so if anyone has anything to say about this I'd rather they would than stay quiet

cheers

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:12:44 pm »
I read your post and did not answer because the writing was complicated, the question was not precise and I had no clue how I could help you.

Wendy

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 06:14:52 pm »
you guys know what has me worried here, a CD4 reading of 150, how many people have a reading like that after only being infected 10 months or 5 months depending on which of the senarios is correct, either way for me it is very very disturbing, I am interested in experienced people here shedding some light on it, good or bad I need to know.

Well I don't know if anyone can really tell you which if either of those scenarios are what happened. What we do know is that you're HIV positive and that your CD4 count is low.

Really the time for looking backwards (if there ever was such a time) here has passed and the most fruitful thing you can do is think about what happens next. I can assure you that what happens next involves more blood tests so a fuller more definitive picture of your disease progression can be established.

That can take some time.

People who are newly infected (say less than two years) often have low CD4 counts because it can take a while for the immune system to adjust to HIV infection. Over time the immune system fights back and you may well find that your CD4 count goes up all on it's own.

But that's not a guarantee. In fact there are no guarantees (good or bad) about what happens after a person is infected.

I appreciate that this is confusing and very frightening for you. We've all been there. If it's any consolation I've walked around with much lower CD4 counts than you have now and the world didn't end.

But that's just me.

However, why don't we try something concrete? My advice to you is that you should read our Lessons on understanding your test results. These explain in plain terms what you need to know. They're very good.

MtD

Offline deniur efil

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:06:05 am »
Thanks

i really mean THANKS

you have taken the time to share with me, and have really moved my emotional  direction upwards, you have a beautiful way with words

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:27:00 am »
I'm glad I've been able to help.

And for the record, your life isn't ruined. ;)

MtD

Offline deniur efil

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:47:17 am »
I'm sure some people will already have read these articles, I'm interested in what you think, after reading them myself it seems to have added just more confusion about the whole thing.

here's the link

[removed by moderators]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:06:09 am by Peter Staley »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 06:20:56 am »
I'm sure some people will already have read these articles, I'm interested in what you think, after reading them myself it seems to have added just more confusion about the whole thing.

here's the link

[removed by moderators]

Oh honey, this is denialist rot. I have to report it.

MtD
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:06:29 am by Peter Staley »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:21:12 am »
deniur efil -- please read the following from the Terms of Membership you signed when joining these forums:

The premise of the AIDSmeds.com Forums, along with its parent site (AIDSmeds.com), is that HIV is the cause of AIDS. Individuals hoping to use the AIDSmeds.com Forums to disseminate “denialist” or “dissident” information will be automatically banned from the Forums.

The link you posted led to theories espoused by infamous HIV denialists (crazy folks who think HIV doesn't cause AIDS).  If you want to continue to read their deadly drivel, then this site is not for you. 

Please do not post links that like here again, or we will have to end your membership in these forums.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline deniur efil

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »
as you know I'm new to all of this and the word denialist didn't really mean anything until right this moment, perhaps the response should have been removal and a PM explaining to me the contents of those articles and that everyone is here fully aware of their implications, I assume the subject has been debated here before, I was unaware of that, perhaps a better option than a public dressing down.

I also assume my forum name seems to be somewhat offensive to some folks here............I'm a realist not a pessimist

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 04:21:54 pm »
I have no clue what your forum name means.

I assume its not english?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »
I have no clue what your forum name means.

I assume its not english?

fi uoy daer ti sdrawkcab, ti slleps ruined life.

-mit
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 12:07:56 am »

I also assume my forum name seems to be somewhat offensive to some folks here............I'm a realist not a pessimist

Don't worry about your name buddy.. many started with names that are even less life affirming. You can change it later by sending a PM to the moderator and I have the feeling that you will... ;)

You have only talked about numbers, but how do you feel? You're feeling fine physically? Anyone you can share and talk to? Are there support groups in your area you feel might be useful to join/check out?

Best of luck, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 02:36:35 pm »
fi uoy daer ti sdrawkcab, ti slleps ruined life.

-mit

Oh Jesus. LOL

BTW - I've been known to be dense on occasion but I've been sick lately and I feel like total crap. So with my non-existant tcell count I have an excuse.

Offline deniur efil

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 04:09:14 pm »
I feel 100% fine, I really do, I haven't even had a cold or a flu for a very long time, as I have stated before, I am definately 100% sure I have only been recently infected with HIV (less than 10 months) and probably more like less than 6 months, it was pure routine that I got a test otherwise I would never have known, what really puzzles me is my reading after my first ever CD4 and VL test, surely there must be something wrong  150 and 3000 respectively with I believe 25-30%. What a shock that was

I have had a further test for CD4 and VL and will know the result next week, I think there may be a need for further tests if this also comes back without improvement. Jesus according to everything I have read I have AIDS all within the space of a few weeks.

Thanks anyway everyone for taking the time to post

PS I live in Ireland and cannot really let anyone know I have HIV, I'll be stoned and driven out of town, my close family live a distance away and are elderly, they are aware of my condition but I cannot really disclose too much as they have their own worries, so I guess I'm on my own mostly.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 04:13:45 pm by deniur efil »

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 09:57:32 pm »
Guess you'll have to wait for the results of your next test. Its possible they made an error. Labs have been known to do that on occasion.
Try not to worry because it wont do you any good. It will only stress you and stress can make you sick.

I was given an AIDS diagnosis in 1994. Back then I was told you had to have a tcell count below 200 and have at least two opportunistic infections to be given an AIDS diagnosis.

Its possible that not everyone uses those rules. I'm sure I will hear otherwise in following posts from those who are more educated in updated information.

Best of luck,
Wendy

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 10:14:37 pm »
I was given an AIDS diagnosis in 1994. Back then I was told you had to have a tcell count below 200 and have at least two opportunistic infections to be given an AIDS diagnosis.

Its possible that not everyone uses those rules. I'm sure I will hear otherwise in following posts from those who are more educated in updated information.

Just one of a host of indicating conditions will lead to an AIDS pronouncement, along with the requisite CD4 numbers:

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/adult/medical_services/infect/hiv/conditions/aids/diagnosis.html

Namaste,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 10:16:57 pm »

PS I live in Ireland and cannot really let anyone know I have HIV, I'll be stoned and driven out of town, my close family live a distance away and are elderly, they are aware of my condition but I cannot really disclose too much as they have their own worries, so I guess I'm on my own mostly.

Don't be too upset for this. Ireland is far better than a lot of countries I am sure. Think about those poor poz people in China, or India (I don't know that for sure, but from what I read, they don't get good care there).
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 11:47:15 pm »
I am definitely 100% sure I have only been recently infected with HIV (less than 10 months) and probably more like less than 6 months, it was pure routine that I got a test otherwise I would never have known,

Well, first, your moniker here isn't offensive. Trust me, I've seen much worse.

Second, if you are 100 percent sure you were infected that recently, then your numbers will most likely yo-yo all over the place. It's just the way it is.

Please don't panic and fear the worst.

The first year with HIV is, quite frankly, a bitch because it is an emotional rollercoaster. We've all been there and we all understand the fears you are experiencing because we've had them too.

Which brings me to another point. You are not alone. It may be cyberspace, but you have us.

You wouldn't believe how reassuring the people here can be. I live in the middle of nowhere in the southwestern U.S. desert. Without the people here, I would be lacking a support system.

So, you're stuck with us. While I am sorry you've tested positive, I am glad you found us and are here.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 10:10:49 am »
Check out my numbers in my signature. It seems you are not alone.

Offline deniur efil

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 05:47:28 am »
yes indeed, only difference is the VL mine was only 3k,  are now taking meds ? or waiting for more tests ?  I am dying (excuse the pun)to see my next results in 2 days time

problem I have now seems to be a chest infection on the way, my chest is painfull breathing and had a sore throat for a few days.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:54:15 am »
Life,

One of the big problems HIVers face is thinking that every sniffle, cough and sore throat we get is The Beginning of The EndTM.

In reality the opposite is generally true. You just have a run of the mill chest infection, nothing more. See your doctor and deal with it as you would have before you were diagnosed.

:)

Fond regards,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 08:14:17 am »

I live in the Isle of Man and was diagnosed as part of a "cluster". The fact that eight of us all from one town were diagnosed as hiv positive ended up as front page news in the local rag. They didn't name names, but they didn't really have to as the article confirmed some rumors that had been flying around.

I fully expected what you expect - petrol bombs through the letter-box and being driven out of town - or off the island.

It never happened.

I'm pretty open about my status now and have even been interviewed by Stephen Fry (for the HIV and Me documentary - although my segment ended up on the BBC website instead of on the telly program) and I've also done an interview for World Aids Day on Manx Radio. I've had nothing but support from the locals.

I'm not saying you should do the same, I'm just saying that things probably wouldn't be as bad as you fear.

About your numbers - they're pretty common in a new infection.

And your chest infection? As Matty says, probably just a normal chest infection that anyone could get. I don't know about Ireland, but there's been an awful lot of that sort of thing going around the Rock this winter, and the recent cold weather isn't helping.

Hang in there, you're going to be alright. Really, you are.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
yes indeed, only difference is the VL mine was only 3k,  are now taking meds ? or waiting for more tests ?  I am dying (excuse the pun)to see my next results in 2 days time

problem I have now seems to be a chest infection on the way, my chest is painfull breathing and had a sore throat for a few days.

No meds yet. I even think I need to postpone my next lab, currently scheduled at 4/8, till I am fully recovered from the fever I had last weekend. I heard CD4 doesn't come back to normal in 3-4 weeks after an infection. What's your percentage? Matty has taught me to look at the %, which is a more stable and accurate indicator.

Here is thebody.com's doctor's comment on my situation, anyway, he is a real doctor so he might be right. http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Current/Q191561.html

Given the steady CD4 percent, and the intercurrent illness, I would not be too concerned over the increase in viral load and decrease of CD4 count, which are consistent with an intercurrent illness. However, if these numbers remained like this a month or so after the illness has gone, then treatment may be required.

Offline yasoza

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 06:57:45 am »
hey deniur efil

When my CD counts was 160 october 08 and vl was about 89,000, this didnt mean i was infected 10months  or 2 years ago, my infection is back in 1993 started mt meds january 09. was told my genes are strong to live that long without meds and am someone who does alot of execises, i will be going tomoro to check my second CD and vl. sometimes it could be your genes are quite weak or strong. I have never been ill since being positive,, even now I dont feel any illhealth, sometimes i always think maybe blood test was wrong +, but testing positive never lie with my past history when i was raped in 1993 and the guy dead of aids related illness in jail!
I hope everything will be ok with you, start thinking positive and it is your choice who you want to know about your status.stay blessed

Offline deniur efil

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 11:15:13 am »
Thanks guys and girls for the good support and sharing, I guess the human body is rather complex and doesn't follow any general set rules

my CD4 was 150 again, not up or down, one thing I didn't mention here but did to my doctor is the fact that my teeth are in poor repair, nobody would notice but some of my back teeth (out of view) broke off some time ago due to me neglecting lost fillings and I have had gaping holes in my gums where part of these teeth are still there, I would guess that my body is constantly fighting infection from these and has been for several years, don't know if this would have an efffect on CD4 but it is a worry,

I am due to see a dentist soon to get it sorted out, it may even have been the source of my HIV infection, oh well scared of dentists has mabe got me in some trouble

PS my % was 27, don't know what this means exactly

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 12:19:10 pm »

When my CD counts was 160 october 08 and vl was about 89,000, this didnt mean i was infected 10months  or 2 years ago, my infection is back in 1993 started mt meds january 09.

Are you from the future?  ;)

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 12:24:46 pm »

PS my % was 27, don't know what this means exactly

27% is not bad. See Matty's comments: (he is my new idol)

this is the link that that thread. http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=19761.0

I think your teeth problem plays an important role of lowered CD4. I think my sudden drop is due to my hemohroid outbreak.

The CD4 % Rule of Thumb is this:

> 21% -- You're ok.
<21% >13% -- Damage has been done to your immune system, medication is a consideration.
<13% -- You should probably start medication.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.