Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: another newly worried  (Read 9351 times)

Offline bertram

another newly worried
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:43:23 am »
Hello,

I hope you'll be able to provide me with some advice - I had brief (1 minute max) unprotected vaginal sex just over a week ago and have been in turmoil since about the risk of picking up HIV from this encounter - I'm going through what most of the people have described - not eating or sleeping well etc? What is the risk of female-to-male transmission - is the length of exposure a factor?

Many thanks,

Bert

Offline RapidRod

Re: another newly worried
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:50:48 am »
In your case I would be worried more about other STDs. Transmission from female to male is a lot harder than male to female. Exposure time does lesson the risk. Have you ever tested? Do you know your status? If not, test. Always use condoms with plenty of water base lube when having vaginal or anal sex or you are in a monogamist relationship that both of you have tested together. If this was your first time you've done this I expect you to get a negative result.

Offline bertram

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:10:42 am »
Hi RapidRod,

Thanks for the quick reply - and yes it's the first time this has happened (lesson learned!)- the usual story of a too much drink and not enough brain. I've been for a test for STI's this week and'll get the results next week. Should I go for an HIV test - my friends think I'm over-reacting to the whole situation given how brief the encounter was.

Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:19:58 am »
Bertram, it's good that you're awake to the dangers of unprotected intercourse. Use this experience as a reminder to always, ALWAYS wear a condom when you have intercourse. No exceptions.

As to HIV and this particular incident, HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. But, low risk is not the same as no risk. So I do recommend that you take the standard HIV test at 13 weeks past this incident. I do expect you will test negative, but HIV status is never something to guess about.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bertram

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:53:15 am »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the support. I'm currently trying to get out of a total anxiety state by not scouring web site after web site for info - wish I'd come across yours earlier.

Is the 6 week test a good indicator at all?

Bert

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:03:21 am »
6 weeks is a good indication but not conclusive. Your body has to produce enough antibodies for the test to detect.

Offline dmav23

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 01:51:33 pm »
bertram, i had an identical experience, i went through all of that anxiety that you have described, all because i was in a girl unprotected for literally less than a minute. the only thing that calmed my mind is knowing my HIV status. so a year and half later i got tested, my test though was real stressful though because i got a false positive and about an hour later they called after my sample had gone to the western blot to tell me that i was 100% negative..it was quite the experience.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 02:05:21 pm »
dmav23, don't be posting in others thread. Keep all your concerns in your own thread.

Offline dmav23

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 12:53:48 am »
???? i can't give the guy some support?

Offline bertram

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 01:23:26 am »
Hi,

Just a bit more detail - the short unprotected vaginal sex was followed straight away by me receiving oral sex and ejaculating - would this increase my risk level?

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 08:47:18 am »
No, your having received oral after the unprotected incident would not have increased your risk level. In fact, it's totally irrelevant.

Not so incidentally, there's never been a confirmed case of transmission via receiving oral so it's safe to say you won't make history by becoming the first.

A negative result at 6 weeks would be very reassuring since all but the smallest number of those who will seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. You should still confirm that negative result by re-testing at 13 weeks. A negative at 6 weeks is the next-best-thing to an all clear.
Andy Velez

Offline bertram

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 12:44:19 pm »
Hi,

I'm afraid the wait for the test in 5 weeks is getting the better of me - early mornings are worse at 4am and the future seems dark and bleak - all the worst scenarios start rushing through my mind.

Is there any data on female-to-male transmission risks? Is there a way to stop this getting the better of me?

thanks again

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 12:52:51 pm »
Go seek one on one and work with a mental health professional to work out your issues. You have to wait that long to test for your body to build up antibodies. Then you have to get the 6 week test confirmed and conclusive at 13 weeks. 

Offline bertram

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 06:50:07 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know the mechanics of female-to-male transmission - is it through vaginal fluids and how infective they are?

Thanks.

Offline bertram

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 02:52:07 pm »
Hi,

I spoke to an HIV helpline in the UK and was told not to overly worry about the encounter or lose any sleep over it (which is what I've been doing for 11 days now) as the chances of infection are small - they said with that it is unlikely the encounter stimulated enough vaginal fluids. It's the first time I've heard of this - does anyone have any thoughts on this - does this sound reasonable advice?

thanks,

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 03:28:09 pm »
As I replied to you early on, the likelihood of your becoming infected via this very brief and single incident is very remote. Please re-read what I said to you previously.

Nothing you have said since has changed my opinion. I expect you will test negative.

Just keep those condoms handy for future use and use one everytime for intercourse. 
Andy Velez

Offline bertram

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 06:49:20 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know of any places in the North of England that do the rapid HIV tests (2-3 weeks after exposure) - I've been searching on the Internet, but all the places that do these tests are located in London?

Thanks,

Bert

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 06:56:08 am »
There are no Rapid Tests for 2-3 weeks after exposure. You can get an antigen test done, but they are expensive and you will still need to get an antibody test.

Offline bertram

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 06:59:38 am »
Hi,

Thanks - yes the anitgen test is the one I was after.

Bert

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 09:36:54 am »
The term "rapid test" is often misunderstood. It means that you can get a result very quickly as in as little as 20 minutes.

But a rapid test still needs to be done at 13 weeks past a risky incident in order to give a reliable result.

Your risk was very low and whenever you test I expect you to test negative no matter what your mind is busily scaring you about.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bertram

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:56 pm »
Cheers Andy - your a star  :)

Offline bertram

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 01:17:26 pm »
deleted this - sorry was in a panic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 05:19:02 pm by bertram »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 05:18:50 pm »
Bert,

Hiv does not cause red, itchy bumps that resemble insect bites. If you're worried about your bumps, please see your doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bertram

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 05:21:13 pm »
Hi Ann,

Thanks - I deleted my last post as I was in a not very good frame of mind when I wrote it. Thanks for the reply.

bert

Offline bertram

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 12:19:01 pm »
It's day 35 for me today since my encounter which is seen as 'low risk' and I'm getting tested later today - can I rely on the results of this test as an indicator? Also, I know it's said that symptoms are not an indicator, but i developed a mouth ulcer two days ago (day 33) - does anyone think that is ars related (i've had no other symptoms)?

Thanks,

Bert

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
Bert,

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection. ONLY testing will reliably inform you of your hiv status.

A test at the six week mark would be a more reliable indication of your status. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. I've yet to see a six week negative result change. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point.

I'm fully expecting you to test negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bertram

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 06:27:07 am »
Hi,

The test result was negative last night - but will still be getting re-tested at the 12 week mark. Thanks to all on the forum for the support.

Just a bit more info I got from the staff at the UK test centre (which is what everyone here on the forum has said all along) - female-to-male transmission is very difficult and even harder if the male doesn't ejaculate inside the female. The analogy I was given as to why ejaculation makes it slightly more risky is one of squeezing liquid out of up a washing up bottle - after squeezing the bottle when you release the pressure there is a slight inward pressure of air going back into the bottle to fill the void caused by the loss of liquid - this sort of process may cause vaginal fluids to be pulled into the head of the penis after ejaculation. Hope this isn't too graphic, but it seemed to make sense.

Bert

Offline bertram

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 10:17:03 am »
Hi,

thought I was getting there with my 35 day negative anti-body test - can I take any comfort from this result? Waiting another 6 weeks or so to get tested again seems like an eternity.

thanks,

bert

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 10:26:09 am »
Any negative result is nice, but the only one to rely on is your 13 week test results.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.