Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:28:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 444
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Winter.  (Read 343289 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Winter.
« Reply #650 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:28 pm »
I can send her my spoon if it will help.

Oh Jeff, I saw Birmingham made NBC Nightly News w/Brian Williams tonight. They showed a shot of a highway with cars stuck and a couple yahoos trying to push them out of a snow bank by hand. When was the last time y'all made primetime? 1958?

Its a mess . The whole state has just enough salt for over passes and interstate bridges only ... the rest will have to melt . It is 16 here right now and the snow will be here for at least a day or two ...I'm thankful the snow has not taken down tree limbs and power lines . I have a gas log fireplace just in case .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #651 on: January 28, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »
Its a mess . The whole state has just enough salt for over passes and interstate bridges only ... the rest will have to melt . It is 16 here right now and the snow will be here for at least a day or two ...I'm thankful the snow has not taken down tree limbs and power lines . I have a gas log fireplace just in case .

yes it looked bad. Stay warm. Hope you don't have to get out for awhile.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #652 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:12 pm »
yes it looked bad. Stay warm. Hope you don't have to get out for awhile.

Im staying put . I have chills and a sore throat already .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #653 on: January 28, 2014, 11:23:25 pm »
I'm over this artic cold.  I've had a few respiratory issues in just the last month.  Could be HIV related and may discuss that in another thread.  But, I know low humidity levels can also assist bugs in thriving.  I noticed our digital inside/outside temp and forecast thingy tells you what the humidity is in the house.  It was 22% relative humidity inside.  I guess I need to buy a humidifier.  I've read ideal readings should be around 55%.  My boogers have been so dry.  And, dry nasal passages don't filter out the bugs as well.  Until I can buy one, I've gone old school and put bowls of water on the heat vent and even turned on the showers. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #654 on: January 29, 2014, 06:29:48 am »
I can send her my spoon if it will help.

Jeff got the 'orrible man award of the week last week for his crack at Betty about "roll aids" - you win this week for your spoon crack.

Betty, you have my permission to beat Willy with his spoon when it arrives. ;D

Sorry to hear about your stitches hun!

Until I can buy one, I've gone old school and put bowls of water on the heat vent and even turned on the showers. 

Another trick is to disconnect the hot air vent at the back of your clothes dryer and let the hot humid air into the house. If you have one of those flexible white tube things, you can use that to direct it into the house and away from the wall. We used to do this in a house I lived in when I was first married.

Boiling a large pot of water works very well too, and you can put some herbs or vanilla or even lemon in it to make it smell nice. Or you could use essential oils.

I haven't had the dry-air problem since I moved to the Rock. Here we contend with the opposite - trying to keep the damp out. I think I'd rather have the dry-air problem, it's much easier to solve.

We haven't had much really cold weather here so far this winter, but we've had more rain than you could shake a snow shovel at. I think it's Mother Nature's pay-back for the fantastic summer we had last year.

The central government is building a new road in front of my house. We used to have just a paved foot-path between two facing rows of terraced housing, with big long front gardens. They're ripping all that out and replacing it with a road, with lay-by parking on both sides along its length. My front garden is being reduced to the size of a postage stamp. (I'm happy - less mowing - but my neighbours with small children are less than impressed.)

So the point is - this estate was built on a swamp, due to a heavy clay "pan" about a foot or two down under the top soil. Whenever we get more than a day's worth of rain, the whole area reverts to a swamp and my front garden is often really squishy this time of year. The local government told the central government that if they were going to go ahead with this road works, they'd have to install some really good drainage.

The CG came out last summer and dug a few test pits - which due to the great weather, remained dry. The CG told the LG that they were talking a load of bollocks and there was no need for drainage out of the ordinary.

Ha.

They started digging trenches two weeks ago, and they immediately filled up with water. The one outside my house is filled within an inch of my front garden path (and about four feet deep). I showed Jeff via skype and he's all jellies cuz I have a moat and he doesn't. ;D

So cue much head-scratching and back-to-the-drawingboarding by the CG. We're now getting super-duper drainage installed.

Stay warm folks - and I'll do my best to not fall into my moat. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:35:30 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #655 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:14 am »
My landlord came by yesterday with the snow blower so I haven't had to shovel in a couple days.  Thanks for the offer of your spoon, Will, and kiss my ass lol.  And Jeff, I hope you feel better.

Ann, I have to find something else to beat Will with, the spoon isn't going to get it. ;)

It is -3F here right now. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #656 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:39 am »

Another trick is to disconnect the hot air vent at the back of your clothes dryer and let the hot humid air into the house. If you have one of those flexible white tube things, you can use that to direct it into the house and away from the wall. We used to do this in a house I lived in when I was first married.

There are several caveats with this.  If the dryer is already in a moist area, it can lead to mold and mildew.  I have seen people use diverters that have a container of water where the exhaust heat passes through the water trapping the lint.  They are messy and a pain in the butt.

Also, a gas dryer should NEVER be vented indoors. 

I personally would never opt for this as a lot of microscopic particles are released into the air.  And all the extra cleaning to rid the house of lint dust?  I'd opt for specific products to address the issue. 

wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #657 on: January 29, 2014, 11:10:20 am »

Ann, I have to find something else to beat Will with, the spoon isn't going to get it. ;)

You can use my Cat-o-nine-tails.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #658 on: January 29, 2014, 11:13:56 am »
Last night was the first time I regretted eliminating central heating in my bedroom.  I can't ever recall such a long period of below zero temperatures ever.  It wasn't this nasty during the great blizzard. 

Thank goodness for all the sweats that I purchased during my "event".  I figured they were long un-needed.  Well, I wore a pair to bed last night and have been wearing them over my regular clothes when I need to go outside.  I knew and was afraid I'd get too comfortable wearing them in public.  ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #659 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »
There are several caveats with this.  If the dryer is already in a moist area, it can lead to mold and mildew.  I have seen people use diverters that have a container of water where the exhaust heat passes through the water trapping the lint.  They are messy and a pain in the butt.

Also, a gas dryer should NEVER be vented indoors. 

I personally would never opt for this as a lot of microscopic particles are released into the air.  And all the extra cleaning to rid the house of lint dust?  I'd opt for specific products to address the issue. 

wolfie

Well, it's a no-brainer to not do it in an area that's damp anyway.

IIRC, gas driers have metal ducting with warning stickers to not undo them. Fair point. When we did this years ago, it was an electric drier.

We had some thin cotton mesh over the end of the white flexible tubing that caught any lint. We also kept the lint tray clean, so this extra measure didn't actually have much to catch.

We also regularly used the pot-of-boiling water method - far cheaper than shelling out for a humidifier we would only have used for a couple months a year.

I'd send you a cricket bat (they work wonders) but, as they say in 'Ole Blighty, that just wouldn't be cricket!

My boyfriend's mother used to use a slipper as a tool of persuasion, would that work for you Betty?  ;D

You can use my Cat-o-nine-tails.

Ahem. It's you, dear boy, that we're discussing how to beat!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #660 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:08 pm »
Ann, thanks for the suggestions.  The vanilla and/spice thing is a good idea.  If you're going to boil water, may as well make the house smell nice.  I remember as a kid ,we didn't have a vent for the electric dryer, so my mom put panty-hose on it to catch the lint.  Got the steam heat from it, though. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #661 on: January 29, 2014, 04:33:41 pm »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #662 on: January 29, 2014, 04:55:00 pm »
Ann, thanks for the suggestions.  The vanilla and/spice thing is a good idea.  If you're going to boil water, may as well make the house smell nice.  I remember as a kid ,we didn't have a vent for the electric dryer, so my mom put panty-hose on it to catch the lint.  Got the steam heat from it, though. 

You're welcome, Ted! Just make sure you keep an eye on the pot so it doesn't boil dry. That nearly happened to me once and as it was a good, expensive stock pot, I made sure it never came close again. Never mind burning down the kitchen/house, I just worried about my pot! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #663 on: January 29, 2014, 07:05:18 pm »
Atlanta is a national embarrassment. No wonder Sherman lit a torch to it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #664 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

What a miserable night it's on the west central coast of Florida.   :P    It's been lightly to moderately raining, since around 4:00 this afternoon, the current temp is about 45 degrees, but it feels so much colder.

It's been a while, since we had a winter like this. I don't think the temp is going to drop much further tonight.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/weather/klystron-9-radar.html.map.html/7%20County.html

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #665 on: January 29, 2014, 07:58:58 pm »
If you look on radar there are still lingering bands of freezing rain/sleet and snow in southern Georgia up to Wilmington, NC

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/georgia/weather-radar

We are going down to 9F overnight.

Offline zach

« Reply #666 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:43 pm »

asshole  ;)

i'm not as skilled at the art of insult as you, being more rusticated and unreconstructed

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #667 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:39 pm »

At least Atlanta isn't full of people screwing cheese and masturbating at car wrecks.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #668 on: January 29, 2014, 11:50:18 pm »
At least Atlanta isn't full of people screwing cheese and masturbating at car wrecks.

That's what makes Philly so hip.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #669 on: January 30, 2014, 08:21:24 am »
Woke up to 2 degrees here in Richmond -- AND -- no water coming out of my faucets.  Ugh -- still not sure if it's my pipes or a broken water main somewhere nearby, but I'm thinking it's my pipes. 
UGH!!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #670 on: January 30, 2014, 08:27:56 am »
Woke up to 2 degrees here in Richmond -- AND -- no water coming out of my faucets.  Ugh -- still not sure if it's my pipes or a broken water main somewhere nearby, but I'm thinking it's my pipes. 
UGH!!

OH NO ! . I so hope it all gets sorted out and your pipes do not rupture . Its 10 here and I have the water dripping because I have a pipes in my crawl space and a busted pipe is a big fear of mine .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #671 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:40 am »
UGH!!

Oh, OH...  That don't sound good.  Hopefully it would be a main break, versus frozen pipes.  I've had to deal with that before, whenI lived up north,... not fun !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

« Reply #672 on: January 30, 2014, 08:42:04 am »
OH NO ! . I so hope it all gets sorted out and your pipes do not rupture . Its 10 here and I have the water dripping because I have a pipes in my crawl space and a busted pipe is a big fear of mine .

I know -- I have no water on the floor anywhere yet, we'll see.  I'd use a hair dryer on the pipe where it enters my house, but neither Sid nor I really have any need for a hair dryer, so..........................
I have a call out to the plumber but, surprise, they are BUSY today with many busted pipes.

Made it through almost 50 yrs, most of them up north, with nary a frozen pipe -- guess it's my time!
At least it happened now and not when Sid and I are in Africa and my mother is here all alone.  She is NOT good in an emergency.

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #673 on: January 30, 2014, 08:50:27 am »
I know -- I have no water on the floor anywhere yet, we'll see.  I'd use a hair dryer on the pipe where it enters my house, but neither Sid nor I really have any need for a hair dryer, so..........................
I have a call out to the plumber but, surprise, they are BUSY today with many busted pipes.

Made it through almost 50 yrs, most of them up north, with nary a frozen pipe -- guess it's my time!
At least it happened now and not when Sid and I are in Africa and my mother is here all alone.  She is NOT good in an emergency.

M

I space heater works well too if supervised so as not to burn the house down .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #674 on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:49 am »
Sounds like for once it's warmer here than in the South -- 13F!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #675 on: January 30, 2014, 09:09:08 am »
I space heater works well too if supervised so as not to burn the house down .

Yeah -- I don't have one of those either -- or an electric blanket.  A google suggestion:  wrap a towel soaked in hot water around the pipe -- great idea, except that I haven't any water due to a frozen pipe!!!

in the spirit of making lemonade from lemons -- we get to practice NOT using tap water for drinking, brushing teeth, etc in preparation for our Safari.

Sounds like for once it's warmer here than in the South -- 13F!

yes -- I'd love to be up north right now, where the infrastructure is built to handle days like this!

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #676 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:54 pm »
Oh geez Mike, fingers crossed that you don't have bursts.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #677 on: January 30, 2014, 03:34:15 pm »
Mike,

Any thawing?  Our pipes run in the basement, which is finished.  I have been wondering about the main water line, that runs from the street.  For a few years, I've gotten inserts in the water bill about taking out insurance for that.  The owner is responsible for the main line that runs from the meter.  I never took out the insurance. It is $5 a month.  So, I will feel very stupid, if something should happen to it.  If those huge main water lines can break, then the smaller ones running to your home could, too.  I'm sure that would cost $500 to $1,000 to replace.  Perhaps more.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #678 on: January 30, 2014, 04:19:06 pm »
Guilhermina, please read this and tell me how it changes your view of the politics of this catastrophe.

Thanks.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #679 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:22 pm »
Mike,

Any thawing?  Our pipes run in the basement, which is finished.  I have been wondering about the main water line, that runs from the street.  For a few years, I've gotten inserts in the water bill about taking out insurance for that.  The owner is responsible for the main line that runs from the meter.  I never took out the insurance. It is $5 a month.  So, I will feel very stupid, if something should happen to it.  If those huge main water lines can break, then the smaller ones running to your home could, too.  I'm sure that would cost $500 to $1,000 to replace.  Perhaps more.

Well Ted, good call!! -- the plumber who came by does think that the pipe is frozen underground.  I have to wait and see now -- once the water is running, I'll have him come back out and we can try and figure out if the pipe busted anywhere underground. 
He was a nice guy and didn't charge me for today's visit, because he didn't do much - except look adorable.
I did see some drips beginning, so hopefully the faucet will be flowing soon............

Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #680 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:32 pm »
Mike, thought this would make you feel less crappy about a water pipe leak.  :)

Not weather related but we had our main 4" copper sewer pipe split 3 winters ago. Our crawl space is about 5' tall with a dirt floor. We had no idea until we started to smell the faint odor of well... not hard to figure.

When we took a look it was obvious that this leak had been going on for quite some time. It was scary!!!

Homeowners insurance didn't cover the cost of replacing the pipe but they did cover the cleanup. I insisted that they would have to pay for either digging out the contaminated soil or pay to cover it with cement. We now have a cement floor.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #681 on: January 30, 2014, 04:43:01 pm »
Mike, thought this would make you feel less crappy about a water pipe leak.  :)

Not weather related but we had our main 4" copper sewer pipe split 3 winters ago. Our crawl space is about 5' tall with a dirt floor. We had no idea until we started to smell the faint odor of well... not hard to figure.

When we took a look it was obvious that this leak had been going on for quite some time. It was scary!!!

Homeowners insurance didn't cover the cost of replacing the pipe but they did cover the cleanup. I insisted that they would have to pay for either digging out the contaminated soil or pay to cover it with cement. We now have a cement floor.

Wow, that was a pretty shitty situation (sorry -- couldn't resist!).  :o

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #682 on: January 30, 2014, 04:51:47 pm »
There are models appearing (obviously over a week out isn't dependable) showing an "epic" storm on February 9th -- and guess what, Philadelphia is in the bull's eye with an obscene 36". And I'll be in NYC on that date but they are projected to get 31". Now I'm going to have to sit around all week and monitor this and decide whether or not I should travel.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #683 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:43 pm »
There are models appearing (obviously over a week out isn't dependable) showing an "epic" storm on February 9th -- and guess what, Philadelphia is in the bull's eye with an obscene 36". And I'll be in NYC on that date but they are projected to get 31". Now I'm going to have to sit around all week and monitor this and decide whether or not I should travel.

Oh, HELL NO!!!  that is the day I fly out of D.C. for Kilimanjaro, so I absolutely FORBID snow until after my 6:00pm departure (at least in D.C.).

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #684 on: January 30, 2014, 05:19:16 pm »
Oh, HELL NO!!!  that is the day I fly out of D.C. for Kilimanjaro, so I absolutely FORBID snow until after my 6:00pm departure (at least in D.C.).

Mike

Hope you bought travel insurance because DC will be getting 26" according to this map (disclaimer, this is the European model as of now for an event still ten days away.) But I'll post it anyway just to make you pee in your pants. Looks like a drive from Richmond up to Dulles or BWI will not be possible, much less a flight departing.

Sample totals:
Dover, DE: 32"
Cumberland, MD: 17"
Toms River, NJ: 37"
Philadelphia, PA: 36"
Atlantic City, NJ: 38"
New York City, NY: 31"
Staten Island, NY: 32"
Middletown, NJ: 34"
Monroe Township, NJ: 34"
Freehold, NJ: 36"
Bethany Beach, DE: 22"
Wilmington, DE: 37"
Boston, MA: 18"
Baltimore, MD: 30"
Washington, DC: 26"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:21:58 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline bocker3

« Reply #685 on: January 30, 2014, 05:34:56 pm »
Well, if they are forecasting this now, then the inevitable changes will be to my advantage!
If Mother Nature fucks with my Safari, she will rue the day, this trip is all about celebrating (and not focusing on) turning 50 on the 15th............. And yes, I am fully insured.

Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #686 on: January 30, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »
We are under a winter storm warning, with possible 6" more.  The watch is through Saturday at 1:00 pm.  Well, hopefully we won't get frigid temps again.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #687 on: January 30, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »
Guilhermina, please read this and tell me how it changes your view of the politics of this catastrophe.

Thanks.

Idiocy is not just confined to the democrats, it spans the political spectrum.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #688 on: January 30, 2014, 06:27:56 pm »

You obviously either didn't read the article or lack the aptitude to comprehend it.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #689 on: January 30, 2014, 07:55:21 pm »
You obviously either didn't read the article or lack the aptitude to comprehend it.
Can we return to important topics for this thread - Betty's pending (additional) snow and my possibly ruined Safari - the one I booked 20 months ago!!!!

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #690 on: January 30, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »
Can we return to important topics for this thread - Betty's pending (additional) snow and my possibly ruined Safari - the one I booked 20 months ago!!!!

Mike

I AM SOOOO JEALOUS! What part of Africa?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #691 on: January 30, 2014, 09:58:24 pm »
I AM SOOOO JEALOUS! What part of Africa?

Tanzania.  We will be in Tarangire National Park, the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti.  One morning we will be taking a hot-air balloon ride over the Serengeti too.  Assuming Miss P's meteorological expertise is off!
I wanted to do something big for my fiftieth.

M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #692 on: January 31, 2014, 04:57:11 am »
Mike, that sounds like it will be a blast!  I love that you're doing something big to celebrate your 50th. 

No knew info about the "maybe" snow storm.  Looks like we still may get up to 6-8", though the meteorologist said the snow may be trending North, in which case we'll get a lower amount. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #693 on: January 31, 2014, 10:03:12 am »
One morning we will be taking a hot-air balloon ride over the Serengeti too. 

M

That would be so amazing I think I would cry.

Im excited for you, and will be expecting a pic of a giraffe upon your return.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline britchick

« Reply #694 on: January 31, 2014, 11:38:52 am »
bocker3,

Im sooo envious that you are going to Tanzania soon.Have an amazing time

britchickx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #695 on: January 31, 2014, 01:01:59 pm »
The first Winter ever where I'm actually over it.  Because I absolutely hate the heat of Summer, I usually enjoy this time of the year.  But all these continuous below zero days is playing havoc.  Our little lake region recorded the lowest temperature in the country @ -19 yesterday (or perhaps the day before).  It was the first time ever that Ohio was the coldest area of the US.  And that was without the windchill factor.

I had to go to town yesterday and was shocked by the amount of crewmen working to repair all the frozen shit.  Several stores had signs indicating that they didn't have water due to freezing.  We have several frozen lines and drains at the post which is a fairly new building. 

And, we're expecting up to another foot of snow by the beginning of the week.  There are still some areas that haven't even been cleared out yet.  Thankfully, my entire family drive trucks and are fairing pretty well. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #696 on: January 31, 2014, 01:23:47 pm »
We finally topped out at 40F today and will be up to 50F on Sunday, but then a conga line of storms go through the area -- first on Monday (possible 2-3" snow), then a second Tuesday night (on the rain/ice storm line), then the third next weekend that could be the worst of the entire season but no meteorologist is willing to commit to yet.

I'm not too bothered by winter yet, but if I had to endure what the Mid-West is then I probably would be.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #697 on: January 31, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »
My water started flowing at 11:00 this morning - Woo Hoo!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #698 on: January 31, 2014, 03:08:33 pm »
Greg, I feel your pain.  Yesterday was the first day we were above 0F in three days.  Now the forecast is up to a foot of snow between tonight and tomorrow night.  No frozen pipes at businesses around here though, but maybe this area is better equipped to deal with that.  I'm over this season also. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #699 on: January 31, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »
So far this winter has been not too atypical for us. Some snow, some cold, but nothing horrible... yet.

My mother on the other hand.....
Her first winter in Minnesota since 1976. :o

If the groundhog sees his shadow in a few days I'm thinking his chances of survival are slim. 

On the plus side daylight is getting noticeably longer. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.