Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:55:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 233
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PEP & Testing  (Read 9955 times)

Offline DontKnowWhatToDo

PEP & Testing
« on: February 13, 2007, 02:44:23 pm »
First Off, Please don't judge me. I've made some mistakes in my life and certainly have told some lies. And I hope you will read my entire story. (Some may have seen it on other boards). I would appreciat your opinions.

In mid-December, after a final exam, I went out to drink with some classmates. Didn't get drunk, got home and felt I needed to relieve some stress. I went to a Chinese brotherl (NYC) that I saw and ad for on television (late night sex channel). Well I went there around 4pm and did my thing (not proud of it). I had protected sex with a older chinese woman. Vaginal and Oral was protected. However, I had an open-cut on my penis AND THE CONDOM DID NOT cover this cut. Her vaginal fluids definitely got into the cut. I also fingered her for a second and I also had a cut on my finger.

Anyway, I went home after I was done and felt terrible about what I had done. The next morning, I woke up and felt extremely tired and ill. I managed to get out of bed but few hours later came back and vegged out all day. The day after that it was the same terrible feeling, maybe worse. I couldn't move. Well I managed to get to the library where I needed to study for an exam. But that wasn't happening. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I went to the ER and tolf a fib. I couldn't face up to the fact that I had done an illegal act of sleeping with a prostitute. I told them something else. They offered me Post-Exposure Prophylaxis for a month. I started taking the PEP meds approx. 48 hours after possible exposure.

I felt terrible for the next month. Excessive diarrhea, fatigue beyond belief and just all-around bad. I'm thinking that was due to the severe side-effects of the PEP medication. Well when I was done with PEP on the 14th of January I thought I'd feel much better. And for a day or two I did. However, sometime later (maybe 1 or 2 days) I started getting violent diarrhea, sore throat, red bumps and white film on the back of my tongue (it's never been there before and the red bumps are huge). There is something wrong with my throat/mouth, it just looks distgusting and feels weird however I've been told that it's not thrush. I've tested negative at the one-month mark (but people say PEP delays seroconversion).

I don't know what to do. I'm bugging out and I'm feeling all of the symptoms. Any opinions/thought would be most encouraging.

Thank You in Advance.   :'(

Offline RapidRod

Re: My Complete Story...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »
You didn't have a risk. Symptoms if you have them at all don't come on that quick. Your problem is in dealing with you own guilt, not HIV.

Offline DontKnowWhatToDo

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 02:54:41 pm »
#1. Great picture
#2. Thanks for the quick reply
#3. What makes you think I had no risk. Would have been a high-risk if she was definitely HIV+?
#4. I thought vaginal secretions on a open cut (the fluid got into the open cut while I was inside of her) was very high risk and near 100% of possible expsoure?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 02:57:11 pm »
The risk wouldn't have changed even if she was HIV+. You didn't have bleeding cut on your penis, so it wasn't open.

Offline DontKnowWhatToDo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 02:59:30 pm »
Oh I didn't know active bleeding was a requisite. Is it because the vaginal fluid needs to travel into the bloodstream? Just curious since I don't know too much about the disease. If so, how come unprotected vaginal is high-risk?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:04:41 pm »
Tears in the mucus membrane inside the urethra from having sex and it's not exposed to air. HIV can not live outside the body of it's host.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »
I concur with Rod on this one.  I'd like to add that transmission from female to male is very difficult anyway as the virus is generally concentrated in the cervical mucus.

You did not have a risk of HIV infection on this one.  Keep using condoms and you will be fine.  Congrats on using them this time just keep doing it.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline DontKnowWhatToDo2

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:28:08 pm »
Sorry, lost the password to my name so i had to create another one.

I wish I could believe you guys, and everyone else says the same thing. But is there any explanation for my violent diarrhea, horrible sore throat and huge scary bumps on my tongue?

I really am freaking out. Hope you are right!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 06:34:57 pm »
It's not up to us to make you believe. You came for a risk assessment and you received it. Now you can take it or live it. You can go test in 13 weeks and collect your negative result if that is what you need to do. Other than that, it's the end of this discussion.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 06:42:08 pm »
Thanks for the response Rapid. I'm going to make an appointment with my Infectious Disease Doctor so he can tell me why I'm I have diarrhea, sore throat, etc. Hopefully he can find something or provide me with some closure.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 07:03:21 pm »
Simply because you haven't gotten an explanation for your various symptoms doesn't by default mean the issue is HIV.

Because in your cause it isn't HIV. As you have been correctly told by both Rod and AC, you weren't at risk during this recent incident. Even IF the woman was HIV+, the condom provided you with appropriate protection. The secretions your penis would have come into contact would not have been from the cervical area.

It's always a red flag to me when someone has casual and impulsive sex where some drinking is involved. You mention that you weren't drunk. Nevertheless I'll just say that  drinking and impulsive sex is a potentially dangerous combination which can affect your ability to follow safer sex guidelines and specifically to use a condom for intercourse. Avoid that in the future.

I wouldn't have considered PEP necessary in relation to this incident, but it's done now. You have to wait until 13 weeks after the completion of the PEP treatment and then you will collect what I certainly expect will be a negative test result.

Your doctor needs to find out what is going on in relation to your symptoms. Sounds to me like stress is certainly playing a part as well as perhaps a residual reaction to the powerful PEP meds.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 07:38:02 pm »
Thanks Mr. Velez, That did make me feel better. Quick question though, and this may sound extremely dumb but where exactly is the cervical area?

Thanks!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 07:44:43 pm »
  Not a stupid question at all.
RIDE!!!

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:34:21 pm »
Awesome, thank you. For a second I got a flashback to health class about two decades ago. So does that mean in order for a man to contract HIV through vaginal sex, the tip of the penis has to reach all the way to the cervix?

Question about tongue problem
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 09:43:23 pm »
After talking to some professionals and people on this board, I've come to the conclusion (without testing, but I will when in 2-monts) that I do not have HIV. Now I've been looking for an explanation to why my body is doing weird things. One weird thing is I have large bumps on the back of my tongue and more whitish film that usual. After searching the internet, I found out it's circumvallate papillae. I dont really know what that is however, it looks EXACTLY like this (it's pretty gross): http://www.doctorspiller.com/circumvallate_papillae.htm

Can someone  tell me if that is normal?

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: Question about tongue problem
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 10:55:35 pm »
Keep all your questions or thoughts in your orginal thread. Do not keep starting new threads.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Question about tongue problem
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 07:50:45 am »
Don't,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You CANNOT diagnose yourself by looking at photos on the internet. If your tongue worries you, so see your doctor or dentist. It has nothing to do with hiv. You didn't have a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Feel Worse because I Feel Better
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 08:03:20 pm »
That may sound stupid but...now that I've confirmed from multiple people (although still MUST test!!) that I didn't have a risk or if I did, it was low...I've been feeling BETTER lately. Diarrhea is not as rampant and not feeling fatigued anymore. Feels like I'm back to normal. But that has me worried because I felt this way for a month AFTER i was done with PEP and now it has be believing I didnt have the ARS symptoms (which supposedly subside after a week or so).

I'm just venting because of it. Sorry.

PEP & Testing
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 03:30:56 am »
Since 4-6 weeks is somewhat conclusive and 3 months is definetly conclusive, would that be the same for someone who has taken PEP? Say I tested 4-6 weeks after I finished PEP, can I take that outcome to the bank? Or is only a 13 week posts PEP recommended?

Thanks

As a side Q, does anyone know the effectiveness of PEP for non-occupational exposures? They say Occupational is at 80% but does that mean 80% of people who were actually exposed to HIV+ fluids do not seroconvert or 80% who were exposed to unknown status fluid do not seroconvert?

Offline RapidRod

Re: PEP & Testing
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 04:44:41 am »
4-6 weeks is never conclusive the only conclusive test is 12/13 weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 07:28:03 am »
Don't,

I've had to merge your threads again - read the posting guidelines like you've been asked to and get with the program.

The testing window period starts after the last day of PEP. You're hardly going to test positive as you didn't have a real risk in the first place.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Around78

Anyone know?
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 05:51:48 pm »
I had intercourse with an HIV+ woman a month ago (protected) but was wondering what my chances of contracting HIV were if I had a open cut on my penis that was unprotected (condom was not covering the cut)? I've read they are quite high when infected vaginal secretions enter the cut while inside the vagina. Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

Offline ACinKC

Re: Anyone know?
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 05:59:40 pm »
You were very smart to wear protection.  You do NOT have a risk of HIV infection through what you described.  For several reasons, one it is very hard to transmit HIV as it is fragile and even more difficult to transmit from female to male.  The HIV virus is found mainly in the cervical mucus far inside the vagina and it needs to get into your urethra for a POSSIBLE infection.  You were protected so this didnt happen.  Your skin provides a very effective barrier even when healing a previous wound. 

I would not test over this personally.
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Anyone know?
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 06:03:20 pm »
Around,

Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used DontKnowWhatToDo and  DontKnowWhatToDo2

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 10:24:46 pm »
Hello All,

I've got a question. I've had "hot-spots" on my neck and face (mainly neck). My neck gets extremely HOT!! sometimes yet I don't have a high temperature (normally below 99.5). Can this be due to ARS?

Thank You

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 06:32:38 am »
I've got a question for you too, mate.

Why did you never answer MY question when you posted as Around78?

If you continue to ignore me on this issue, you will be permanently banned, no more questions asked by either one of us.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 08:06:39 pm »
Don't,

You PMd me with an explanation, but you owe the others here an explanation too. Don't PM them either, do it here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2007, 09:49:14 pm »
Forget it, just ban me

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.