Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:11:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773217
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 510
Total: 513

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Connections to a previous life.  (Read 5907 times)

Offline PozBrian

Connections to a previous life.
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:20:06 pm »
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in a different forum but I'll start here because it has more to do with my state of mind than anything else. So here it goes.

Recently I've developed a pretty strong desire to contact friends I've lost contact over the years. I don't really know why this is, but it is pretty strong. I'm not sure if it is because at 48 nearly 49 I realize that HIV nor not I'm likely in the second half of my life. Put HIV on top of that and thoughts of my death have become more tangible if not imminent.  Anyway I've googled several friends from different periods of my life and have some success. I've not contacted any as yet. I'm working on the courage to do that.

Today I found out that a fraternity brother and roommate died last November. It knocked me back a bit. Many of the folks I've found have had happier results. I even managed to find a childhood friend (1st to 4th grades) still living in the same little town.

So there it is. I'm not sure what to make of this relatively recent desire to reconnect with people from different parts of my life. I'm nervous about contacting them. Will I be remembered? I certainly remember them which after all this time makes them important to me,  but will they want to hear from me? I think that most will.

The other thing that I'm not sure about is if this desire stems from my middle-agedness or coping with HIV, or if it even matters. I'm seriously considering a pilgrimage to the first 2/3's of my life. (I kind of segment my life like this: up to 22, 22-45 & 45 and up.)

So I guess I'm just feeling a little melancholy and not quite sure how to handle it.
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Connections to a previous life.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:51:06 am »
It can lesson the weirdness for both parties, or potential weirdness, if you can find them on Facebook, or email, and have the first contacts be quite light and superficial and virtual. Asynchronous communication works for this - keeping the pressure off and not feeling put on the spot.     

Facebook is great for this.  Almost ANY old friend will respond positively to a old friend on Facebook.  The follow up runs from nothing, to a relit friendship. 

I don't think there is anything stange about your desire.  Some people are like that, other people always look to the present or the future.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:52:43 am »
I agree that it is hardly weird to think back cause for me it was a happier innocent time and there is that part that wonders about the past. I have a habit of thinking I will run into friends all the time and I remember when I was disheartened when I finally realized that the world was big enough that I would probably never see friends again and I really should have kept in better touch. I really thought I would. I still hope.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:32:46 pm »
Last May I needed to go job searching, so I updated my resume and contacted my old references to let them know that they might be contacted. About two days after I sent an e-mail to an info@ address of a company I worked for from 93-97, I was contacted by the manager (who recognized me immediately) informing me that the owner had passed away of esophageal cancer in 2006.

I called immediately and this began a series of calls and e-mails back and forth. As the manager (now co-owner) and I had been close throughout our professional relationship and always very frank, it took fewer than ten minutes before all awkwardness was gone; we both commented on how it seemed that the intervening years seemed to melt.

Overall, it was a highly satisfying time, though it really went nowhere. I've had similar experiences contacting my ex Carlos (1985-89) in 2005: pleasant, but as they say in French sans issue.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:02 am »
This is a direct result of your "40 cycle" and will abate soon enough.  However, like  Bucko said, it also can be rewarding, but I find the key is to keep expectations in check, because you are only one side of the quotient here.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline allanq

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:51 pm »
During the last year, I’ve reconnected with six people from my past — five former high school classmates and one former coworker. It had been at least 40 years since I had heard from my classmates, and 32 years since I had last seen my former coworker. In three of these reunions, I was the one who initiated the contact, and in three instances, they contacted me. In each case, the reunion was a very happy occasion. (In case you’re wondering, I’m 62 years old.)

I’ve gotten together in person with four of these people, and I exchange occasional e-mails with all of them. In each case where we got together, it was almost as if we had been seeing each other all along. The conversation flowed very easily. If they lived closer to me, I can imagine being good friends with them once again.

In general, I think that if you try reconnecting with someone from your past, it helps if you mention something that you valued in that person. If you have fond memories of someone, I think there’s an excellent chance that they feel the same about you.

There was only one time that I was not happy when someone contacted me. It was a guy I knew in college, and my main recollection of him was that he treated his girlfriend miserably. He used to call her “dunderhead.” (Fortunately, she eventually wised up and left him.) I responded to him, but I did not offer any encouragement to get together or have any further contact, even though he lives just 30 miles from me.

The internet has made it so much easier to find old friends. I would encourage you to give it a try. By the way, various ways were used to initiate the above contacts with old friends, including Facebook, classmates.com, and a plain old Google search for my former co-worker.

Offline Fondoo

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:33:43 pm »
Ha Ha! I got all exited seeing the name of this thread I thought we were going to talk about rebirth. Good luck mate!

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:09:46 pm »
i actually contacted an old friend of mine today  from high school we both came from a very small not very open minded town.  he's been on my facebook for like a month now i just haven't wrote too him.  well, i wrote him today when i noticed he had one of those little ribbons on his profile too show support if u know someone with hiv. i told him about my status, he wrote me back and i found out it was him.  really tore me up. now i'm scared to contact any of my other old friends, no telling what i'll find out..
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.