Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:51:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 217
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AAA life insurance offer  (Read 10759 times)

Offline optimize

AAA life insurance offer
« on: January 09, 2014, 12:36:47 am »
I just received a letter saying that I am eligible for AAA life insurance, and that a blood test is not necessary.  I do have to answer a few questions about underlying conditions.  The question asks if I have ever been treated for AIDS or ARC (AIDS related complex.  Yes Or No.  The truth is NO.    If I check this would I be hiding information?  Also, could they deny me coverage in the future if they found out that I was positive?

Offline tednlou2

Re: AAA life insurance offer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 12:54:35 am »
Well, if it only asks about AIDS and you've never been diagnosed as having AIDS, then I don't see where there would be an issue.  Most questions I've seen ask about HIV.  Even if you have had an AIDS dx, it asks whether you've ever been treated for it.  That seems very vague.  What does "treated for AIDS" mean?  Does it mean having an AIDS-defining illness, which you were treated?  It would seem they would just ask whether you've been diagnosed as having AIDS. 

Are there more options for life insurance, now that we are told this is a chronic illness and we can expect near normal to normal lifespans?  I hear some say having HIV Is no longer an automatic denial.  Is diabetes an automatic denial?  Or, do you just pay higher premiums?  Or, is it really the same as it has been? 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:03:52 am »
I think if you try to argue semantics you would lose, or your beneficiary would lose. 

HIV is still a disqualifier for most life insurance plans - therefore when you start a job and they offer you insurance guaranteed if you sign up within thirty days, SIGN UP.  You can usually keep it after you leave employment. 

I've only got $100,000 of life insurance because I was foolish and didn't opt for the supplemental insurance when I got hired at my current job (wasn't thinking).  Now if I want to up the amount I have to provide eligibility of coverage, aka blood test and questionnaire. 

I'm not sure if diabetes is a disqualifier or not.  Probably is but so are heart disease, cancer, and everything else.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline optimize

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:36:51 am »
Thanks for the replies.  The application asks if I was treated or diagnosed in the past 10 years with AIDS or HRC.  I have to assume that they know the difference between being positive and ever having AIDS in 2014.  They are pretty much offering me life insurance coverage and I would assume that these policies are reviewed by medical professionals.  I am going to check off NO and try to apply for coverage.  I am healthy and I dont think I should be denied based solely on this condition

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:43:26 am »

I have to assume that they know the difference between being positive and ever having AIDS in 2014.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I haven't heard anyone using the term ARC (AIDS Related Complex) since the 90s. According to Wikipedia; "Clinical use of this term was widely discontinued by the year 2000 in the United States after having been replaced by modern laboratory criteria." 
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:53:03 am »
I would be very cautious about answering that question "No".  Given the "hysteria" around HIV in the general public, I don't see a high likelihood of any beneficiary winning a case in court if the Insurance company finds out you are positive.
So......  if you choose to do what you are suggesting, you may very well be doing nothing more than "donating" money to this company.
What good is life insurance if it doesn't pay out AND if it requires your beneficiary to have a potentially long, battle to try and collect.

My 2 cents.....
Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 12:34:22 am »
Can the AIDS question not be cleared up, either through the insurance company or a lawyer?  The question specifically asks about AIDS.  The definition of that is clear for the CDC, medical journals, etc.  Insurance companies are usually very deliberate in their questions.  I mean, I think they would know there is a difference between AIDS and HIV.  If having HIV was a disqualifying illness, then I would think they would say HIV and AIDS.  They would write the question to protect themselves in clear terms.  I would hate for you to pay into something that wouldn't pay out, but would hate for you not to get it, if you're indeed eligible. 

If you go the route of clearing it up through the insurance company, I would want it in writing that they specifically mean an AIDS dx and are not talking about an HIV dx.  It is probably best to just clear this up with the insurance company.  I would think you could get this cleared up in writing, without even giving your name.  It would seem you could call them and have them email you exactly what they mean. 

Offline optimize

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:07 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Very true.  Whats the point of paying into something that might not pay back.  I dont want to have to fight to prove anything later.   I hope to have enough to pass on to my beneficiaries without life insurance.  .  f*** it

Offline seriously

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:21:19 am »
It really depends on your state insurance laws...  after a life insurance policy has been in force for two years the policy is generally incontestable - and in many states, it is incontestable even in the case of a lie on the application.

In the event you were to die in the first two years of the policy the insurance company would most definitely scrutinize the circumstances and attempt to deny the claim -- and if in the first two years, they were somehow to discover the misrepresentation on the application, they could rescind the policy... but after the two year contestability period has lapsed the policy is obligated to pay out as long as the premiums are up to date.

Get a copy of the policy and read the fine print, specifically the incontestability clause section... and then check with your state insurance commissioner about your specific state's laws with regard to life insurance rescission and fraud-- you may be surprised.
Infected 7/25/03
In denial until 12/1/10
12/7/10 CD4 160 VL 456k
12/18/10 Started Isentress/Truvada
12/12/13 CD4 456 VL <20

Offline AnotherUserinCO

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 03:55:48 pm »
There is also something called the MIB - Medical Information Bureau that some companies rely / use.  You can get a copy of yours every year for free.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:13:14 pm »
There are several companies that offer Life Insurance for anyone including HIV/AIDS, Globe is one, there are others, I think Mutual of Omaha is another. They will not pay out within first 2 years (but will refund amt paid in if you die during that time) and maximum policy is $10K I think, but hey that amount will almost plant ya ;). The premiums are of course higher than you would get with an exam policy. I think its $50 or so a month for a 45yo.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »
I just so happened to get an offer in the mail today from Globe Life.  And, I find the questions kinda vague.  I'm thinking the Clinton, "Depends on what the definition of the word "is" is. 

Here is the question about AIDS-- yes AIDS and no mention of HIV. 

"In the past 3 years, has the proposed Insured had or been treated for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), AIDS Related Complex (ARC) or test results indicating exposure to the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Virus? 

Well, I was given an AIDS dx in 2008, so in the past 3 years, I have not been treated for AIDS.  Not treated for ARC.  I have not had another HIV test, although I am sure they mean a CD4 and viral load lab would be considered tests indicating exposure. 

I would just think they would be much more specific with their language, to cover them legally.  As I've heard, even if you lie, they have to pay off after 2 years.  But, the rates are awful on this, despite HIV.  And, they increase dramatically as you hit each new 5 year age range.  The rates in this do not stay the same for the life of the policy.  Perhaps that is typical. 

I suppose someone who hasn't been in care for those 3 years (no labs or anything) could answer honestly and not run into an issue.   

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:27:40 pm »
I just so happened to get an offer in the mail today from Globe Life.  And, I find the questions kinda vague.  I'm thinking the Clinton, "Depends on what the definition of the word "is" is. 

Here is the question about AIDS-- yes AIDS and no mention of HIV. 

"In the past 3 years, has the proposed Insured had or been treated for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), AIDS Related Complex (ARC) or test results indicating exposure to the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Virus? 

Well, I was given an AIDS dx in 2008, so in the past 3 years, I have not been treated for AIDS.  Not treated for ARC.  I have not had another HIV test, although I am sure they mean a CD4 and viral load lab would be considered tests indicating exposure. 

I would just think they would be much more specific with their language, to cover them legally.  As I've heard, even if you lie, they have to pay off after 2 years.  But, the rates are awful on this, despite HIV.  And, they increase dramatically as you hit each new 5 year age range.  The rates in this do not stay the same for the life of the policy.  Perhaps that is typical. 

I suppose someone who hasn't been in care for those 3 years (no labs or anything) could answer honestly and not run into an issue.

Globe has a "No Medical questions, No medical Exam" policy...that is what i was referring to.

Edited to Add: maybe it wasnt Globe, but It was one of those companies, I know this because I was looking for a policy to supplement my current Life Ins Policy and ran across a couple "No medical questions" policies. Ill try to dig up the info

Edit#2- they are called Guaranteed Acceptance policies, here is one...https://www.nylexpress.com/Guaranteed-Acceptance-Life $44/mo for $10k for 50yo
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:34:32 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:19 pm »
Globe has a "No Medical questions, No medical Exam" policy...that is what i was referring to.

Edit#2- they are called Guaranteed Acceptance policies, here is one...https://www.nylexpress.com/Guaranteed-Acceptance-Life $44/mo for $10k for 50yo

Actually, for this one you have to be at least 50 years old to apply....   :-[

I have group life through employer, but was seeing about getting something that wasn't tied to employer.... oh well, less than three years left and I can apply....
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 08:30:16 pm »
Actually, for this one you have to be at least 50 years old to apply....   :-[

I have group life through employer, but was seeing about getting something that wasn't tied to employer.... oh well, less than three years left and I can apply....

That was just one I randomly found on Google. I know there are ones that take at least 44y/o cause thats how old I was when I was looking.

Just Google
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.