Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:06:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 607
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Protein Powder (That Tastes Good?)  (Read 7149 times)

Offline TheRoof

Protein Powder (That Tastes Good?)
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:06 pm »
I am very healthy in terms of my "cholesterol", heart health, liver / kidney functions are normal. I do like to workout, and can’t eat a lot of meat. I’ve never been a huge meat eater… so I try to supplement at least some of my protein in-take through “Shakes/Whey”.

Sadly, anytime I drink it. It feels like I am drinking a glass of rotten milk. The pungent taste of Whey Protein makes me want to throw it back up (It has happened before). I LOVE Dairy; I can drink Milk Just fine.  I love those "Protein Shakes" they sell at gyms. I think its muscle milk. I've tried to recreate that, but it's almost impossible.

I was wondering; Does anybody know of a brand that is moderately priced (i.e 20-45$ ) for example that I could buy at my local Wal-Mart; GNC; that tastes decent?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Protein Powder (That Tastes Good?)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:44:55 pm »
I used to use EAS Myoplex -- mixed with lowfat milk it's like a milkshake, and you can also add in strawberries and bananas in the blender.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:23:29 pm »
I recently bought, use and like a GNC product called Lean Shake, comes in chocolate and vanilla. You can mix with water (doesn't taste bad) or use milk and it tastes terrific!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:55 am »
Here's what I discovered with protein powder.

If you are going to mix it with plain milk or water, you will have to either endure the taste or suffer loads of sugar and additives and flavorings.

I use protein powder after a workout, in a smoothie with milk, plain nonfat yogurt, some frozen berries, a banana for potassium, and a packet of Splenda for extra sweet. That, a little ice, and I'm good. Not everyone can do the blender thing though, I understand.

Have you tried mixing the powder with a flavored nonfat yogurt and some milk or water? The extra sweet might make up for the sometimes chalky flavor of the protein.  Even a simple packet of Splenda would be better for you than some of those mixed protein powder/candy things.

Sadly though, the purer the protein, the more, um, protein powdery it will taste. And the more stuff you get to make it taste better, especially if you get it pre-processed, the worse it gets for you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »
I really like optimum nutrition's hydrowhey protein powders. They are very light and easily digested protein mixes and they taste decent as well. You still have some of that whey smell but it goes down very easy. I tried the eas myoplex and thought it was rather rotten and it did not site well in my stomach. bodybuilding.com sells the 1 pound canisters for 20 bucks which is extremely cheap compared to retail. I usually mix it with milk in a Blender Bottle. The little spherical whisk helps dissolve the whey better then other shaker bottles if you don't have a real blender.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:26:20 pm »
How about making shakes with casein protein instead of whey?  It allegedly digests slower, which feeds your muscles over a longer period of time.  I also seen egg-based protein powders but I've never tried it...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.