Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:17:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 654
Total: 656

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My first Thanksgiving in the US with Dan and his family. Need advice.  (Read 6449 times)

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Hi y'all,

I will fly to the States (Jackson TN) next Tuesday to spend Thanksgiving with Dan.
For Dan it is a day that brings back painful memories of outing himself long ago.
I hope that  me being there with him will finally break the spell.

But now, all of you : I NEED ADVICE.

Some suggestions of what to do on Thanksgiving and what NOT to do if you are invited to a family dinner.

Like : do you bring presents? Flowers for the lady of the house? A bottle of wine?
HELP : I don't want to make a fool of myself.

I will bring Belgian chocolate. Guess that never hurts.

Hermie  ???
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
Re: My first Thanksgiving in the US with Dan and his family. Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 06:06:06 am »
Well, don't forget to mention that the turkey (arghhh) tastes  delicious and, most importantly, that next morning ..."you will  be washing your hair..!" so things won't linger on forever! ;) ;D
Have fun with Dan!

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:27:12 am »
Show up hungry and EAT.  Not much more to it than that.  If you don't know much about College football (American Football), it might be a good time to bone up on it.  But it's pretty easy....root for Texas (horns) and boo anytime you see the letters A&M (sorry Creighton).  Oh and bring some money with you, cause the next day you'll probably go shopping.

That's about it.  Have fun Hermie.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday (sorry Christ)!

Offline randym431

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 07:26:00 am »
Be yourself and don’t try saying things you are not sure of just to fit in.

Like when I had dinner once with a real pure bred Italian friend and family. They were having spaghetti like I never tasted it before. Wonderful!
So I say "pasta ma-coo-la", thinking it was the Italian word for spaghetti. Everyone at he table dropped on the floor laughing except for the father, who kept the poker face he always had.

I ask my friend "what did I say?" He said "I'll tell you later"

Did I feel like a real moron when he told me what I had said. And I couldn’t remember where I heard that saying or from whom? I thought it was the word for spaghetti.   :o
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 09:42:12 am »
Don't talk religion or politics until you get the vibe where the family stands. Depending on the area how nice ( here in the NYC anyway) or terrible the weather is. As you gather Americans can't take criticism so tread carefully. Maybe how crazy "people are " shooting for a video game and OJ.
Good luck and use all diplomatic skills you can muster.
And the more you eat the more endearing you will become, I always bring flowers!
Oh and some Beerenberg for me as you won't be allowed into America without that !
eet smakelijk :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:48:51 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 09:49:44 am »
Show up hungry and EAT.  Not much more to it than that. 

Herman,

After you are done eating, you get yourself comfortable in a reclining chair, you undue your belt, and the top button of your pants, and rest your hand down there , while enjoying TV. Its an American ritual ! ;D

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 09:56:20 am »
My dear Hermie,

You just be your adorable self. My parents love you and will always welcome you into their home. You don't have to bring presents, a bottle of wine or even chocolate. Just come hungry, eat until you can't take another bite  & enjoy being home with a family that loves you very, very much. Then Friday I will show you the experience of the day after Thanksgiving shopping frenzy that is truly an American experience. LOL

I can't wait to pick you up Tuesday.

Love,

Dan

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:06:23 am »
Herman

Sounds like you and Dan are going to have a memorable Thanksgiving!  That makes me happy.

As far as what to bring, just yourself I suspect, but any gift from Belgium (like Chocolates) would be a gesture I'm sure Dan's parents would be touched my.

Enjoy yourselves and when it's time to do dishes, DISAPPEAR!   ;D

RAB

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 11:12:07 am »
like Cliff said, it's a great American tradition.  I love it.

Now, there is something in the turkey that will make you very, very sleepy.  Combine that with the wine and you'll be out like a light as soon as you hit the sofa.  DO NOT WORRY.  It is as natural as pumpkin pie to fall asleep in front of the tv.  No need to apoligize.

oh lucky dan!!

robert

Offline Longislander

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 11:22:43 am »
OK, I'm extremely jealous!! ;D Especially after reading Dan's reply. It's going to be a great day for you both. Happy Thanksgiving!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 12:40:16 pm »
Your thoughts on what to bring Hermie are universally welcome.  Some Belgian chocolates or a bottle of wine and some flowers for the hostess, all will be lovely.  You'll be peppered with questions probably as Americans are curious about foreigners and their countries.  Eat a lot, laugh a lot, and hang with Dan.  I personnally couldnt care less about football - so I hang at the table and chat and continue to nibble.  Have fun.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 12:48:30 pm »
Hermie,

Although not required, I think the "flowers for the lady of the house" is truly classy.  The fact that you brought it up speaks volumes about you. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Christine

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 01:22:46 pm »
Flowers, wine, chocolates are all perfect! Gifts for the hostess are always nice. Maybe a box of chocolates for all the ladies attending.

Asking if you can help before dinner being served, helping to clear the dishes afterwards, helping to wash dishes will make any Mom really happy!!!!

Chances are they will probably tell you to sit and relax, you are the guest. There will probably be football on the tv, maybe some parades.

Go hungry, there will be lots to eat! Enjoy yourselves!

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Iggy

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 01:27:12 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:36:33 pm by Iggy »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 01:44:30 pm »

Oh you are in for some real Tennessee hospitality for sure.   As the others have said just enjoy the meal then sit back and relax.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 02:16:48 pm »
Just be you Hermie and have the best time with Dan and his family...but the flowers and Chocolates sound good...women like that kind of thing, makes them feel special.

Enjoy the holidays.

Hugs to you both.
Jan :-*
Edited to add...pay no attention to Iggy he is just extremely jealous.... ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »
Thank you all a lot!!!!

After you are done eating, you get yourself comfortable in a reclining chair, you undue your belt, and the top button of your pants, and rest your hand down there , while enjoying TV. Its an American ritual !

O maaaaa lord........Ray, I am encouraged by  you to "undue" my belt and the top button of my pants and rest my hand there. Danny, are you sure your parents won't mind if your hand rests there as well?

Actually you should just make plenty of references to how much better Europe is to America.

Iggy, would I still get desert ?;D ;D ;D

Asking if you can help before dinner being served, helping to clear the dishes afterwards, helping to wash dishes will make any Mom really happy!!!!

Christine, what if she doesn't want to let me go afterwards? ::) ::)

Although not required, I think the "flowers for the lady of the house" is truly classy

Thunter, thank you. My french influence??? 8) 8) 8)

oh lucky Dan!!

Robert, I hope I will be rewarded later that night :o :o :o

Well, don't forget to mention that the turkey (arghhh) tastes  delicious
Show up hungry and EAT.
And the more you eat the more endearing you will become
eat until you can't take another bite 
there is something in the turkey
Chocolates sound good
just enjoy the meal

Now wait a minute....... Are y'all trying to insinuate I should put on weight? >:( ;D >:( ;D >:(

women like that kind of thing, makes them feel special

Oh Jan.... I know many things that make both men AND women happy ::) ::) ::)

Oh you are in for some real Tennessee hospitality for sure

I have had the privilege of witnessing that hospitality before... yes, southern style.

like Cliff said, it's a great American tradition.  I love it

I will keep this in mind.
To be honest..... the States feel like home to me already.

Thank you all...

Kisses

hermie :-* :-* :-*

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 07:48:23 pm »
Herman,

I am so glad you are going to come to the US and spend the holiday with Dan! This is wonderful news.   I'm excited for both of you, and I know you will have a wonderful time!

love you,

Alan

PS - speak some of those languages of yours, that always impresses the hell out of Americans!  Is it 5 languages that you speak?
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Basquo

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 01:53:05 am »
I agree with Christine, offer to help with the dishes! You guys are going to have a great time.

and Cliff, about the A&M-t.u. game, don't count your chickens while there's leftover bird in the fridge...

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 04:24:04 am »
huuuuuu Alan.......I speak 7

I bet when I put my burqa on and do the impersonation of an Iraqi woman it would spoil the evening , right??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh Alan... and of course the universal language of love ( slime, slime...)

Hermie, who is already rejoicing.... :)

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 06:19:15 am »
I leave for Atlanta and Memphis tomorrow.
Have started fasting already.

Turkey, here I come....

Hermie :)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 06:25:47 am »
Eating all that turkey will also make you sleep alot too. To bad you will not be around on December 2nd we have invited Lisa and Dan to come and share a after Thanksgiving meal with us here in Tennessee. Would have been nice for you to come with Dan too. But you are always welcome to come here anytime. Love you. Jerry

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 10:51:26 am »
Dont forget to belch alot during dinner.  Its a sign of a good meal.  And memorizing a show tune and coreographing it and then PERFORMING it in the living room is a good ice breaker as well.  Something from Cabaret would be good.

Be yourself Hermie, how can they NOT love you.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 10:54:56 am »
I leave for Atlanta and Memphis tomorrow.

bon voyage honey  :-*

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 01:18:41 pm »
Well, y'all ,I safely made it home .... that's what I like to call Jackson Tennessee.

The weather is splendid, the hugs and kisses abundant and the love vibrating..
What more can I ask for my first Thanksgiving.
Now all I have to do is fast for tomorrow's dinner.

I did bring loads of Belgian chocolate and lace...

Hermie ;)

Hermie

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 04:25:30 pm »
Glad you made it back to the states to be with your sweetie. :-* :-* :-*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.