Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:45:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 373
Total: 373

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 159514 times)

Offline Cliff

Re: Smokers
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:26 pm »
I don't smoke, but I don't have any problems with people who do.  A good percentage of my friends do and I don't mind.  I do plenty of things that aren't healthy for me. It's my choice and I own up to it, and I don't want folks preaching to me about it, so I shouldn't do it to smokers.  I suppose I should worry about 2nd hand smoke, but I don't. Statistically speaking, I'm much more at risk for other types of cancer (especially prostrate cancer), than getting lung cancer from 2nd hand smoke.  I think the issues with 2nd hand smoke is more hype than substance. Not that inhaling smoke isn't unhealthy (duh). But that, people aren't worried about the things that they are really at risk for, while stressing over the things that are low risk.

I do prefer nonsmoking venues (I think London goes smoke free this summer), but only because I don't like it when my clothes smell of smoke after a night out.  Dry cleaning a leather jacket or a blazer can be expensive (though the smell usually goes away after a couple of days of airing out).

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:52 pm »
And continue to ban marijuana. Even more interesting. But that's a whole different thread.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2007, 09:31:44 pm »
After NYC bars went non-smoking, the smokers would pop out frequently, even in the bitter cold, to get their oral/nicotine fix. It was nice, actually, in a way -- there was a kind of camaraderie. Even met a couple of hotties that way. (Easiest pick-up or intro line, I suppose: "Could I bum a smoke?")
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2007, 09:36:31 pm »
After NYC bars went non-smoking, the smokers would pop out frequently, even in the bitter cold, to get their oral/nicotine fix. It was nice, actually, in a way -- there was a kind of camaraderie. Even met a couple of hotties that way. (Easiest pick-up or intro line, I suppose: "Could I bum a smoke?")

I have made more friends and gotten more play from that.

The Unspoken Rule of Ye Who Borroweth Cigarettes Must Engage the Person Who Gave To Thee In Conversation.

I've actually scored very high points with hot guys who ask me for a cigarette... I say yes... put it in my mouth and light it for them, and then hand it to them.

It's a gesture that says, "Do me now.  Really."
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2007, 09:44:54 pm »
Note to self: Remember to do that the next time a cutie asks me for a cigarette. Second note to self: Always listen seriously to Benj's tips on How To Score With Hot Guys.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2007, 09:53:11 pm »
I've actually scored very high points with hot guys who ask me for a cigarette... I say yes... put it in my mouth and light it for them, and then hand it to them.

It's a gesture that says, "Do me now.  Really."

You know, you just don't get quite the same results when you're using Little Debbie snack cakes instead of cigarettes...  hrm...

*scratches head*

-joseph

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2007, 09:56:22 pm »
You know, you just don't get quite the same results when you're using Little Debbie snack cakes instead of cigarettes...  hrm...

*scratches head*

-joseph

OK... you just made me laugh and almost choke on my Pepsi...

That's funny!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2007, 10:22:47 pm »
whore
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2007, 10:29:10 pm »
whore

Moi?   ::)

But look at how cute I am!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2007, 10:30:44 pm »
Yes, but you wear WHITE SHOES

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2007, 10:32:35 pm »
Yes, but you wear WHITE SHOES

Not anymore actually. 

They didn't match my new fag. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2007, 10:34:42 pm »
I trust that's dye in your hair! :)  Nice color.  (and if that's not a "Come Hither" look I don't know what is... like I said:  whore)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2007, 10:35:51 pm »
OK -- in the spirit of a good debate....   ;D

First -- the legal disclosures:
I quit drinking in 1989
I quit smoking in 1993

OK --
I don't consider asking that I be allowed to breathe smoke-free air in public places to be a horrible request.  I too believe that people should be allowed to do as they wish with and to their body, so long as it doesn't harm anyone else.  Certainly one can argue that a business owner has a right to allow smoking in his/her establishment.  I'd be fine with that -- just post it plainly, so that I and others who don't want the smoke know this.  The problem with this is, most people (at least in the US) do NOT smoke, so the economics would get to many businesses and force their hands -- but not all, I'm sure.

I'm just saying.....

Mike

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2007, 10:37:12 pm »
OK -- in the spirit of a good debate....   ;D

First -- the legal disclosures:
I quit drinking in 1989
I quit smoking in 1993

OK --
I don't consider asking that I be allowed to breathe smoke-free air in public places to be a horrible request.  I too believe that people should be allowed to do as they wish with and to their body, so long as it doesn't harm anyone else.  Certainly one can argue that a business owner has a right to allow smoking in his/her establishment.  I'd be fine with that -- just post it plainly, so that I and others who don't want the smoke know this.  The problem with this is, most people (at least in the US) do NOT smoke, so the economics would get to many businesses and force their hands -- but not all, I'm sure.

I'm just saying.....

Mike

*nods in mike's general direction*

want a little debbie snack cake???

*wink*

;)

-joseph

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2007, 10:37:30 pm »
I trust that's dye in your hair! :)  Nice color.  (and if that's not a "Come Hither" look I don't know what is... like I said:  whore)

It was dyed that color.  It's now Adorable Asian Baby Black. 

And that look is "quit taking pictures of me so I can do you right now."  There was a particularly attractive gentleman behind the camera that evening. 

He also had drugs in his pocket.  It was a two birds, one stone kind of thing.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2007, 10:39:42 pm »
Speedballing again?

Offline bocker3

« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2007, 10:45:07 pm »
*nods in mike's general direction*

want a little debbie snack cake???

*wink*

;)

-joseph

Hmmmmm!???!!  Would that be an Oatmeal Cream Treat???   :-X

Mike

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2007, 10:48:06 pm »

Hmmmmm!???!!  Would that be an Oatmeal Cream Treat???   :-X

Mike

Let me give you one *begins frothing at the mouth*

*unwraps the oatmeal cream treat*
*gives it exceptional, slobbery tongue action, and takes a small nibble*
*wipes backwash from lips*
*hands little debby Oatmeal Cream Treat to Mike*

Here you are, baby....

"Do me now, really!"

-joseph

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2007, 10:51:11 pm »
I started smoking at around 20 until I was 34 when I stopped.  I was already poz for about 9 yrs when I decided to quit.  After 3 years I started smoking again, major stress.  Going to college full-time, working part-time/full-time and my mom was terminally ill.  Plus Louie and I had a HUGE fight after talking to the rehab center my mom was in, so I grabbed a cigarette out of spite.  Started smoking a week before she died.  It's been almost 6 years and I'm getting ready to quit again, this time for good.  Can't do the patch, or wellbutrin so I did it cold turkey.  Going to try the Commit loscenges.
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2007, 10:53:56 pm »
Let me give you one *begins frothing at the mouth*

*unwraps the oatmeal cream treat*
*gives it exceptional, slobbery tongue action, and takes a small nibble*
*wipes backwash from lips*
*hands little debby Oatmeal Cream Treat to Mike*

Here you are, baby....

"Do me now, really!"

-joseph

It totally loses a certain "je ne sais quoi" when you do it.

Much like a translation of a poem... something's missing there.   ;D

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2007, 10:55:21 pm »
Good luck, Rev. Not that you need luck, you sound determined enough. Jay

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2007, 11:00:48 pm »
Speaking of smoking... I am going to be on planes and in airports from 10:20 AM until 4:50 PM (Central) tomorrow.

No cigarettes. 

I'm nic fitting just thinking about it. 

kthxbye!

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2007, 11:04:41 pm »
I quit when i got syphillis.... i was just feeling REALLY shitty and couldnt figure out why (took em 3 months to figure it out, had to go all the way up to MAYO on my own dime to get it done....but i do love my ID doc.) so, anyway, I just threw the pack away i had and stopped.  I do occaisonally smoke when I drink, but thats only once a month maybe!!!  Im not implying it is this easy FOR ANYONE else, just typing cause im friggin BORED as hell.

I may start drinkin a little and fire one up here in a few.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2007, 11:06:10 pm »
Speaking of smoking... I am going to be on planes and in airports from 10:20 AM until 4:50 PM (Central) tomorrow.

No cigarettes. 

I'm nic fitting just thinking about it. 

kthxbye!

And speaking of airports....my little buddy's gonna be gone from the boards while on his adventures.

No PM's for me from him.

I'm Benj fitting just thinking about it.

kthxbye!  (and have fun, friend.)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline phantim

« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2007, 12:19:06 pm »
I was glad to see a post on this, as I have always wondered why anyone with HIV or any other serious disease would continue such reckless behavior. (Not casting stones, as I recognize it's my reckless behavior that, even if a non-smoker, got me here.)

That being said, I am curious to know if smokers recognize the impact that they have on those around them. I know that some are more conscious of their habit than others, but I become frustrated when I have to dodge smokers standing outside my building (who seem to form a herd that produces a disgusting cloud around them). And the ones that light up on the escaltors before we even get out of the subway ... don't get me started (have screamed at a few for such rude behavior).

Now that I think about it, smoking in public should be lumped together with HIV - which is criminalized in many states if you knowingly spread it. I'd back a law banning smoking in all public places, given that it directly spreads deadly toxins to those around you without their consent.

Anyone out there considering quitting - do it! If not for yourself (best reason), do it for the people who have to walk in your cancer-causing wake every day.

You must be kidding! Even if cigarettes didn't exist in this day and age, you would still be ingesting toxins from everything you currently put in your body. Hhmmm......Antiretrovirals, tap water, processed food, vehicle exhaust, your deodorant and cologne that is absorbed through your skin....the list goes on and on. Something to think about the next time you start your car and go to the drive-thru to get some fries and a diet coke. Oh please save the speach as you're wasting your breath, which will probably give me cancer.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2007, 12:43:01 pm »
Day 4....

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2007, 12:55:26 pm »
And here is a mental reward for you, Eric...

Just think:  as of right now, your body should be cleared of nicotine (usually takes 2 to 3 days).  If you were tested right now, you would appear to the world as a non-smoker. 

You can tell the world you're a  non-smoker if you want...and dare them to prove you wrong.

Congratulations and wishes for continued success.

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2007, 12:59:11 pm »
Tim, thank you very much... I am trying to tell myself all these things when I get into a pinch.   I even have the rubberband around my wrist.   Its not as red as it was a few days ago....  The morning cough reminds me of what I am doing...

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2007, 01:08:09 pm »
Good for you Eric (and anyone else attempting to break this addiction).

I stopped for 12 years and I intend to stop again. I know how and what works for me, and at this point in my life I’m just not ready. No point kidding myself.

In the meantime, I respect non smokers’ rights not to be around me if I smoke, just as I decline to be around people drinking. All public buildings in Ottawa are now smoke free as well. I’m all for that, just not for being arrested for smoking in public or in my own home.

Daniel

PS: here's a link to Smoker's Helpline online if any one is interested in checking it out:

Smokers’ Helpline Online

Smokers’ Helpline Online is an interactive, web-based service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week offering tips, tools and support to help with quitting smoking.

Special features include:

• Online discussion forums to post questions and experiences with fellow quitters
  • A “Quit Meter” that gives personalized feedback about financial and health gains based on your quit date
  • “Quit Buddies” an instant messenger service where you can send messages to others for quit support at any time
  • “Inspirational e-mails” with helpful information, tips and tools for remaining smoke-free

MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bocker3

« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2007, 01:10:59 pm »
Eric --

Woo Hoo...   Keeping it going.  Just for today!  I'm rooting for you from across the country.

Hugs and a  :-* ,

Mike

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2007, 01:16:49 pm »
I honestly think it helps to not look at it as quitting for life...just quitting for one day- each day that you wake up, just focus on making it for that one day.  Guess that is like that AA saying, "One Day At A Time" right?  But it is helpful to narrow the scope in your mind to something easier to manage.  When a craving hits (which should also be getting easier to manage now that the chemicals are clearing out of your system), don't even think about quitting for the whole day.  Think only about not smoking for the next 20-30 minutes.  You might even try to mentally shift it in your mind from an obstacle to a sort of game; when a craving hits, see if you can 'outwit' it for that one round- like beating an opponent at a hand of cards.  That might sound crazy, but I think doing that little mental shift might actually help trigger a pleasure response in your head.  Granted, I had a lot of help via Wellbutrin I got for depression...but that little mind game I played with myself went a long way with or without the pills.  Just a thought.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2007, 01:18:28 pm »
Mike,  Daniel & Tim...  You know it really is very supportive to have you rooting for us...  It means alot and when that moment of truth or weakness shows itself,  I am brought back to those like you who keep giving that gentle push...

Love

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2007, 01:32:16 pm »
Sure thing!  It's wild that if you read back on this thread, there was a guy railing at me for being this big smoking encourager...and I'm really not!  I was just making an argument for individual freedoms.  I am ALL FOR people doing things that will make them happier and stronger. 

Oh!  I thought of another reeeally helpful thing to do!  This is a GREAT one- especially for the first month or two. 

How much are cigarettes per pack where you are?  Four or five bucks?  At the end of each day, put the money you don't spend on the cigarettes in a clear jar so you can see the cash accumulating.  At the end of each week or month, empty the pot and do something fabulous with it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »
No problem, Eric. I remember the hell and I remember it well. Anyone within 100 yards of me took their lives in their own hands during my detoxification days. I remember the emotional roller coaster and going around banging doors a lot. LOL Basically, I was a holy terror and would have preferred my own island to live on.

PS: I agree with what Tim wrote about thinking in small time frames when the cravings hit. It helped me when I quit cold turkey, the only method that works for me.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2007, 01:56:55 pm »
7 Bucks Tim.... Lets see - $7 * 7DAYS * 4WEEKS * 12MONTHS = $2352 = Cruise ship Tim..  Daniel,  thats funny about the doors.   The people I work with were wondering why I have been closing doors a bit louder than normal...   Then they said,  oh, hes quitting..  We don't mind the door slamming Eric...  We just want you to make it this time...   ;D  I havent become an asshole (yet).   

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2007, 02:06:27 pm »
$7 a pack?!  Good grief!  Here in the heart of tobacco country, they are only about $3.50...sometimes less.  Heck, you can do the cruise ship in a year.  Even if you give up on the savings before then, you can still get some nice dinners for $49...and some pretty nice swag for the $196 / month.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline hudstar

« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2007, 02:35:15 pm »

And the ones that light up on the escaltors before we even get out of the subway ... don't get me started (have screamed at a few for such rude behavior).

Now that I think about it, smoking in public should be lumped together with HIV - which is criminalized in many states if you knowingly spread it. I'd back a law banning smoking in all public places, given that it directly spreads deadly toxins to those around you without their consent.

Anyone out there considering quitting - do it! If not for yourself (best reason), do it for the people who have to walk in your cancer-causing wake every day.

Funny, I had same thought the other day about synthetic socks in public places and how they spread deadly odours to those around them. What about those crowded subways full of wool blend suits after a down pour of rain.........phew, they smell really bad when damp! Unavoidable, a heavy populated area is full of smells! Smoking yup........ I admit I light up occasionally - often within my own space. I smoke rather than kick a wall or decking someone. I puff to easy listening music. I draw back on the cancer stick while in deep thought. I always carry a portable ashtray so as not leave the stub behind to avoid choking some poor fish or dumb witted gull thinking it food.  I enjoy the occasional puff and I think the idea of the quit smoking agenda is good as it has outlined to me the dangers of passive smoking. I also feel peeved that the anti smoking campaign does seem PC more so than a whole hearted effort to save humanity...... after all, they are still selling them and with additional taxes! If we are going to be so concerned about our health and that of others - what about combining it with issues regarding the ozone layer? polluted cities? hormone enhanced food produce.  I agree smoking is bad, so is breathing in polluted city air, moist air conditioning units, white bread, raw meat, fossil fuel, roll on deodorants, microwaves, mobile phones, carbonated drinks, coffee, tea.............and on and on........come on, lets get real, something is amiss here.
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline hudstar

« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2007, 02:43:40 pm »
$7 a pack?!  Good grief!  Here in the heart of tobacco country, they are only about $3.50...sometimes less.  Heck, you can do the cruise ship in a year.  Even if you give up on the savings before then, you can still get some nice dinners for $49...and some pretty nice swag for the $196 / month.

wow, $3.50 a pack. Im use to paying $13.00 a pack............ no wonder I am an occassional smoker!
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline bocker3

« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2007, 02:51:47 pm »
OK, I agree that the anti-smoking campaign isn't about saving humanity.  For some, like me, it may be about trying to save friends and family, but it's more about insuring that I don't have inhale someone else's smoke.  I have NO PROBLEM with people smoking -- do what you want -- just don't make me smoke too.

As for using other harmful things as an excuse to make smoking "ok" -- I don't buy it.  Sure our air is full of crap, so is our water, so is our food, so is the medicine I take, but come on -- just because I may get hit by a truck while getting mail from my mailbox, doesn't make it OK to play tennis in the middle of a highway.

So I agree that things can go too far and we should respect people's right to self-determination, let's just be sure that that respect goes both ways.

Mike

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2007, 02:59:02 pm »
Day 4 Eric -- Yay! Great suggestions from Tim, btw.

Dammit, now I'm getting the cravings again -- for quitting. And I thought I'd quit quitting.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2007, 03:01:34 pm »
Eric,

Here's a little something I hope will help you hang on to positive thoughts when you feel like slamming those doors. ;)

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=a29a8133d891989c5f6551f6cf281939&topic=7830.0

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2007, 03:11:35 pm »
whoah....  I put that on my desk top!  Thanks Daniel....  I love that gooshy stuff!  Yup, fag fag fag fag fag.... ;D

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2007, 03:19:30 pm »
Fag? Who'd of thunk it? ;D

Glad you find it meaningful too, Eric.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bear60

« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2007, 06:43:57 pm »
Guys.....there are people I know who have quit smoking who still talk wistfully about it. Becoming an anti smoking "nazi" is not necessary just cause you dont smoke or have quit.  My partner quit 4 or 5 years before I quit.  He never said one word about my smoking.  Never.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2007, 07:07:55 pm »
Day 4....but, still in a quandary as to the discussion regardings "rights" as in rights to breathe, rights to smoke, etc.  Clearly, a commercial building that goes non-smoking does so under the belief that an economic advantage is gained thereby...a person that goes non-smoking does so under the belief that a health advantage is gained...as well as the economics of $5 per pack...presumably, governments would ban the practice for the same reasons, but is this merely a case were a rational relationship will suffice to support such action...or does it rise to the level of a compelling state interest in prohibiting the conduct...even though I'm not smoking, I hate the idea of government intrusion into so many facets of life.  Its truly the camel's nose under the tent.  Personally, I think an argument can be made that with the amount of taxes paid on a pack of cigarettes, that people are purchasing the "right" to "pollute" the public air.  But, who gave the air to the government to regulate?  Its strangely similar to corporations buying and selling emission quotas.  The government has determined a set amount of pollution that is "economically beneficial" and set the market to allocate it most efficiently. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2007, 07:32:25 pm »
I'd be happier if there was an equal societal breathless obsession with smokers as with the obese.  I know it's coming... but I say shun these gargantuan drags on our national health expenditures.  I bet they cost us all FAR more than the smokers.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »
ps:  I lost 10 lbs this week (all my mother's holiday food)

Also considering joining a gym, but not until February... hate those fools who swarm in January due to resolutions.  I used to be SUCH a gym bunny years ago but fell out of it when I had a 35 lb. weight loss and a sprained ligament doing leg presses.  However, it should be noted that I still made a grand appearance at Twilo (NYC nightclub) wearing head to toe Westwood and a pair of crutches.  The queens all applauded.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2007, 07:52:36 pm »
ps:  I lost 10 lbs this week (all my mother's holiday food)

Also considering joining a gym, but not until February... hate those fools who swarm in January due to resolutions.  I used to be SUCH a gym bunny years ago but fell out of it when I had a 35 lb. weight loss and a sprained ligament doing leg presses.  However, it should be noted that I still made a grand appearance at Twilo (NYC nightclub) wearing head to toe Westwood and a pair of crutches.  The queens all applauded.

I remember Twilo! :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2007, 11:55:56 pm »
please child... I *RULED* that club!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2007, 11:56:44 pm »
(too bad my life is so BORING now!  ha ha)

::retired from clubs::

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.