Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:21:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 603
Total: 603

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I just found out i was positive on Valentines day  (Read 6222 times)

Offline newlyintexas

I just found out i was positive on Valentines day
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:51:56 pm »
Hey i just found out i was positive on valentines day and i am still in denial and i just keepmon replaying the moment over and over and over and over again and it just saddens me . How do i cope with this...I turn 33 on feb 16 so this who;e week was so ruff and bad for me. I feel nasty, i feel like i will never marry or he kids. I disclosed the information to my family they didnt handle it well, but they didnt get mad they have really been there for support.Any advise i dont go back to the dct till mar 16 on that day ill take more test to find out the status of it, whether i need meds ar not...please ..please help

Offline mikeyb39

Re: I just found out i was positive on Valentines day
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:34:19 am »
welcome to the forums,

just take a deep breath and let your doctor do his job.  you will be fine.  What part of texas?  Dallas here.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline newlyintexas

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 01:23:27 am »
Thank you Near mesquite ,Texas

Offline +/-

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:02:14 am »
I remember a year ago, the GUM clinic called me and asked me to call in because they wanted to speak to me and that was when I got the news that I was positive. That was the 14/02/2011 - V-Day ... I can understand how you feel but all I can say is that by time things will get better.

I had to share my news with my wife who is still NEGATIVE so as you can see you will be able to get married and perhaps in the future have kids like we are planning to do. Do further tests as requested - start meds if the need may be - your goal now is to get your VL undetectable. At the time I was diagnosed, my VL was 29,000 and my CD 4 cells were 255. As from December 2011, my CD 4 cells rose to 455 and my VL was < 20 copies, that is I am undetectable.

If there's the need to start the meds, make sure you'd be adherent and never skip a dose. Meds will keep you living healthy and you'll still be able to continue with you life.

Be well and take care!

Offline newlyintexas

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:13:13 am »
Thank you for the encouraging words, that's what i am hoping when i do go back to get tested that, they don't find either , I'm hoping i am wrongly diagnosed, being through God and faith we are heal..But if not i feel like this experience will be a eye opener and testimony to young adults , women and others. God has a way of getting your attention.

Thank you and be blessed.

Offline MarkB

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:31:02 am »
Hi newlyintexas

Welcome to the forums: you will find a great deal of information and support here. I'm sure that all of us here can relate to the feeling you have of sadness, and of replaying that moment. Also to the sense of feeling nasty. But you are not nasty: you have a chronic condition which is eminently manageable; and, as others have said already, what has happened doesn't mean that you will never be able to marry or have kids.

I hope I'm not being intrusive, but I'd like to comment on one thing you posted:

I'm hoping i am wrongly diagnosed, being through God and faith we are heal..But if not i feel like this experience will be a eye opener and testimony to young adults , women and others.

I may have misunderstood this, but without in any way wanting to be disrespectful of you or denigrate your deeply-held beliefs, it is important that you reflect on the fact that acts of faith do not heal this condition. I would be sad to think that you were hoping for a cure from God, because experience shows that's just not the way it works.

Also, your comment about what has happened being an eye opener and testimony to others: what do you have in mind here?

Please keep coming back, and don't hesitate to ask any questions, or share any concerns, that you may have. There are some very knowledgeable and supportive people on this site.

Kind thoughts to you.

M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:42:05 am »

I'm hoping i am wrongly diagnosed,

Welcome to the forums.

How, exactly, were you diagnosed? You should not only have had a positive antibody test, but you also should have had a positive Western Blot. The WB test is needed to confirm any positive antibody test, as false positives can happen but a positive WB rules them out.

If you were diagnosed using only a rapid test with no further testing, there is a chance that you've had a false positive. If you have had further testing, please clarify and let us know.

And I agree with Mark. God has nothing to do with whether or not you've been infected and god certainly can't cure you if you have. It doesn't work like that. The only time god comes into hiv infection is if your faith helps you cope with being positive.

Hiv is just a virus that anyone who has unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse may become infected with. Hiv is not inflicted on some or withheld from others by some judgemental higher power, regardless of what any religious person might tell you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:15:06 pm »
Hi,
I have been pos. for 6 years now..Dr. said I've been infected and pos. alot longer when I officially found out..I had jut gotten married,and my wife had just had our first born..Make a long story short,I now have 2 childeren and the same wife and all 3 are negative...Take meds,take care of yourself and you will be just fine.

Offline MarkB

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:22:26 am »
Hi newlyintexas

Just to let you know I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Let us know how the visit to the clinic goes on the 16th.

M

Offline TexasPOZ

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 06:07:03 am »
Hello newlyintexas,
I also live in Texas, and I was diagnosed 4 years ago. It was tough in the beginning, but God got me through it. I'm glad your family is supportive, and I hope you can find a support group in the city where you live. I went to one when I was first diagnosed and it helped a lot. Find out about all the resources available to you and make use of them. I have met some amazing people in this journey, and each and every one of them have helped me get through it. Don't let anyone bring you down, keep a positive attitude, and know that you're not alone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.