Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:24:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 97089 times)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2010, 09:31:52 am »
Try this easy/no mess pork roast:

1 large cooking bag (not the turkey size)
1 center cut pork loin
1 bottle of Kens Steakhouse (or your favorite brand) balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
1 jar of raspberry jam
1/2 cup of cold water

Mix the jam, water, and salad dressing together really well
place the pork loin into the baking bag and then into a shallow roasting pan
pour the jam mixture over the pork roast, seal the bag, poke 4 small slits in top of cooking bag

OK - let this cook at 325 for 2 hours and you have a very good main dish.  I sometimes make potato pancakes as well as steamed cabbage to go with this. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:02:40 am by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:02 am »
Here is my turkey chili recipe. I hope you like it.

Turkey Chili

1 can    black beans (don't drain)
1 can    kidney beans (don't drain)
1 can    northern white beans
1 can    peeled diced tomatoes (mild green chili flavored)
1 can    tomato paste
1 lb.   ground turkey
1      green bell pepper
1      yellow bell pepper
1      onion, chopped
1 clove   garlic, minced
1 tbls      chocolate syrup
2 tsp.      chili powder
1 tsp.      basil   
1 tsp.      nutmeg
1 tsp.      pepper   
2 tsp.      salt

1 bag      restaurant-style white corn chips

1 cup      cheddar cheese, grated

Brown ground turkey and drain.  Add turkey to remaining ingredients in slow cooker.  Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally for 6 or until flavors have blended.  Top with grated cheddar cheese if desired.  Eat chili with corn chips.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2010, 10:17:16 am »
There must have been something else in that limeade if Miss P doesn't remember it. ;)

Just thank your lucky stars that it lacks Fruity Pebbles :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2010, 03:36:48 pm »
Bloody Marys

1 large can V-8 juice
juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
4 dashes of Texas Pete or your favorite Tabasco Sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon celery seed or 1 teaspoon celery salt
sliced lime for garnish

Mix well and add your favorite vodka.  Pour over ice and use celery stalk for stir stick.  Fresh lime slices are great with this as a garnish.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2010, 04:35:04 pm »
COKE CAKE

COKE CAKE
1 c. margarine (2 sticks)
2 c. plain flour
1 3/4 c. sugar
3 tbsp. Cocoa
1 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. (10 oz.) cake
1 1/2 c. sm. Marshmallows

Combine all ingredients. Blend. Beat 1 minute on medium speed. Bake in sheet pan 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

COKE CAKE FROSTING
1/3 c. margarine
1/2 c. Coke
1/3 c. cocoa
1 box powdered sugar
1 c. nuts

Have ready when cake is done! Spread on hot cake that has been left in pan. Cool and cut into squares.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2010, 06:12:30 pm »
COKE CAKE

COKE CAKE
1 c. margarine (2 sticks)
2 c. plain flour
1 3/4 c. sugar
3 tbsp. Cocoa
1 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. (10 oz.) cake
1 1/2 c. sm. Marshmallows

Combine all ingredients. Blend. Beat 1 minute on medium speed. Bake in sheet pan 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

COKE CAKE FROSTING
1/3 c. margarine
1/2 c. Coke
1/3 c. cocoa
1 box powdered sugar
1 c. nuts

Have ready when cake is done! Spread on hot cake that has been left in pan. Cool and cut into squares.

That's Coca Cola, right? If not, this is gonna be one expensive cake... :-\

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2010, 06:45:17 pm »
That's Coca Cola, right? If not, this is gonna be one expensive cake... :-\

Yup, just checked with the Cartel guy down the street....lookin at about 600 smacks.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »
Yup, just checked with the Cartel guy down the street....lookin at about 600 smacks.

-W

LOL ... I don't think our Willy has ever bought coke before , you are low balling guy  ;)   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2010, 06:48:44 pm »
CLICK HERE WHILE MIXING INGREDIENTS

White Castle Breakfast Casserole

The best name for this breakfast casserole should be "Belly Bomber Breakfast". If you love White Castle Hamburgers, then you will love this breakfast casserole. Serve your friends with this unique breakfast. They will be talking about it all day, or maybe it will be talking to them all day.

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

Things You'll Need:
8x10 casserole dish
12 White Castle Hamburgers
8 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup of cheddar cheese
1/2 lbs bacon
Put 12 White Castle Hamburgers in an 8x10 casserole dish. They will fit in this dish quite well.
Sprinkle cheddar cheese all over the White Castles Hamburgers. Cheddar cheese taste best, but American cheese could be used or a combination of different cheeses.
Scramble 8 eggs with 1/2 cup milk and add to the casserole. Mash down each of the White Castle Hamburgers with a fork to soak up the liquid.
Fry 1/2 pound of bacon. Cut bacon in small pieces before you fry and spread over casserole. Adding all the grease from the bacon is optional.
Refrigerate 2-24 hours.
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2010, 06:54:28 pm »
LOL ... I don't think our Willy has ever bought coke before , you are low balling guy  ;)   

bought it? Ha! I used to deal it. I was the Scarface of West 4th st in Austin. Of course this was many years ago in a previous life.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline ds4146

« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2010, 08:23:07 am »
That sounds disgusting, reminds me of another post......."Fruity Pebbles and marshmallows?  I'll never find my way out of the trailer park." Those who liive in Trailer Parks shouldn't throw fruity pebbles! 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:05 pm »
Hey everyone!

Excellent response on the recipes!

For the time being, please hold off on submitting to this thread, as there will be a new thread shortly (today) to submit too :)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

The best name for this breakfast casserole should be "Belly Bomber Breakfast". If you love White Castle Hamburgers, then you will love this breakfast casserole. Serve your friends with this unique breakfast. They will be talking about it all day, or maybe it will be talking to them all day.

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

Things You'll Need:
8x10 casserole dish
12 White Castle Hamburgers
8 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup of cheddar cheese
1/2 lbs bacon
Put 12 White Castle Hamburgers in an 8x10 casserole dish. They will fit in this dish quite well.
Sprinkle cheddar cheese all over the White Castles Hamburgers. Cheddar cheese taste best, but American cheese could be used or a combination of different cheeses.
Scramble 8 eggs with 1/2 cup milk and add to the casserole. Mash down each of the White Castle Hamburgers with a fork to soak up the liquid.
Fry 1/2 pound of bacon. Cut bacon in small pieces before you fry and spread over casserole. Adding all the grease from the bacon is optional.
Refrigerate 2-24 hours.
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

You can almost throw up in your mouth a little just reading the recipe.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2010, 04:15:22 pm »
You can almost throw up in your mouth a little just reading the recipe.

You love it

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2010, 04:29:47 pm »
You love it

I actually do.  The reason is because I am going to make this for the 10 assholes in my football fantasy league.  They've taken exception to me kicking their ass this year.... well, also because I swiped photos from their facebook profiles and photoshopped them a bit.... and posted on our league website.  Luckily the commish is my best friend cuz I got 10 guys trying to vote me out just for being who I am.    I'll spring this dish on them next year at the draft party all doctored up to make it look good.  I can do this!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2010, 04:34:16 pm »
I actually do.  The reason is because I am going to make this for the 10 assholes in my football fantasy league.  They've taken exception to me kicking their ass this year.... well, also because I swiped photos from their facebook profiles and photoshopped them a bit.... and posted on our league website.  Luckily the commish is my best friend cuz I got 10 guys trying to vote me out just for being who I am.    I'll spring this dish on them next year at the draft party all doctored up to make it look good.  I can do this!

I actually bought two boxes of frozen White Castle cheeseburgers yesterday.  There are no longer any WC restaurants here, and the frozen boxes are even difficult to locate (fortunately I suppose) but I know one place around the corner from my dentist, so when I went for an appointment yesterday I snagged some.  Anywho, that inspired me with my recipe copypasta.

Oh, and I ate an entire box last night :)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2011, 02:27:35 pm »

Boy this is good.

Shrimp and Cheese Grits

1 1/4 lb shrimp (shelled and deveined)
   4 cloves garlic
   4 T spoon of parsley
   3 T spoon butter
   pinch of pepper flakes
   1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
   1/4 cup fresh grated fontina cheese
   3/4 cup of quick grits
   3 1/2 cups water
   1 lemon

Put 3 1/2 cups of water on to boil.  Once boiling, whisk in the grits and add salt and pepper.  Make sure to continue stirring throughout the cooking process this helps keep them smooth.  After about 5 minutes the grits should be done.  Add both grated cheeses to the grits along with one tablesppon of butter.

Set to the side...

In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoons of butter.  Saute the garlic quickly, careful not to burn.   Add the shrimp, pepper flakes, and parsley and cook until the shrimp is pink.  Remove from the pan.   Add 3 tablespoons of water to the drippings left in the pan along with juice from half of the lemon.  Add the shrimp back to the pan and coat well with the sauce. 

Put your cheese grits in a bowl and drizzle a little of the sauce over them before you add the shrimp.

This is soooooo good...

Enjoy!   

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:53 am »
Some of you folks may want to fix a ham for Easter.  There is an easy Bourbon Glazed Ham recipe that a friend of mine gave me this week (permission granted to share) that sounds rather tasty.

The Meat:
1 bone in or boneless ham (these are purchased already 'cooked')

Glaze:
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup honey
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (use the dark)
3/4 cup bourbon
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup spicy prepared Dijon mustard
dash of ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Mix all the glaze ingredients in a bowl or large jar.  Wash the ham and trim off some of the excess fat.  Place ham in a foil lined (13 X 9) baking pan.  Hint: Always place the ham with the large flat side face down in the pan. Coat generously with the bourbon glaze mixture.  Bake at 350 for 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours inside the pan placed on the bottom oven rack.  Loosly cover the ham with a layer of foil after 45 minutes to 1 hour but continue to baste the meat every 20 minutes or so throughout the process. 

Note:  If you use a boneless ham, reduce the baking time to just 1 and 1/2 hours.

Slice it and serve it up!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:51 am »
Bourbon Glazed?  Honey, if you're a true Southern boy shouldn't that be a salt-cured country Ham, preferably with a side plate of biscuits?

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
salt-cured country Ham, preferably with a side plate of biscuits?

Now that does sound good!  If I cant get biscuits, then some cracklin bread will do just fine.  YUM!!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2011, 01:03:51 pm »

That ham recipe sounds like a good one.  I also have a ham recipe for the holidays I've shared here.  I'm definitely going to give yours a try.  Oh, that adding marshmellow to the egg whites for the meringue idea was a big hit at my ex-wife's barbecue.  I was grilling the ribs and saw my 19 year old daughter about to make some banana pudding, so I told her to get some marshmellow cream before she started.  Let me tell you, it was a hit among some harsh critics.  It's hard to convince an 85 year old black woman (ex mother in law) that is a legend in the kitchen that you found a new way to do something.  After she saw it, she said that would be the way she would make hers from now on.  Funny.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »
After she saw it, she said that would be the way she would make hers from now on.  Funny.

I will never go back to making it the old way either.  Great that you had a chance to add some value to that pudding with this one simple step.  Its the little things that sometimes make a huge difference when it comes to cooking.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2011, 02:14:21 pm »
Now that does sound good!  If I cant get biscuits, then some cracklin bread will do just fine.  YUM!!

I'm going to Virginia for Easter (parents) and hopefully my mother will do a salt cured ham.  If so I will make biscuits.

I might make bread pudding too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »
I love salty ham vs a sweet one  . My recipe is buy a good quality salty ham and put it in the oven till its done . Good ham is one of those things that doesn't need much done with it except heat and serve . Of course I'm open to the possibility of a better ham , please .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2011, 04:28:40 pm »
Yum!
I'm going to try that one, Hope4

One Christmas when I was visitng NC from OH, my sis-n-law turned me on to Jezebel Sauce. It's really good poured over a block of softened cream cheese and served up on honey-flavored wheat thins. It also makes a great ham glaze - when you're not going the old-fashioned way of sticking the ham with cloves and putting on a mustard glaze.

1 jar (16 to 18 oz) pineapple preserves
1 jar (16 to 18 oz) apple jelly
1/2 cup horseradish
3 tablespoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

mix and chill for 4 or 6 hours before serving. It can be stored for up to 6 months
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »
I love salty ham vs a sweet one  . My recipe is buy a good quality salty ham and put it in the oven till its done . Good ham is one of those things that doesn't need much done with it except heat and serve . Of course I'm open to the possibility of a better ham , please .     

My mother does this method where you put the ham in the oven and blast it for a certain time on high heat, then you turn the oven all the way off and leave the ham in overnight and it cooks the rest of the way in low heat, meaning just the heat that remains in the oven and in the roasting pan w/lid.

Also, of course, got to soak that salt cured ham for 2-3 days in water that you change daily.

Oh, and when I make ham biscuits and also make mayonnaise from scratch -- MUCH tastier!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2011, 04:35:16 pm »
Its been 70 and sunny for a few days and I've been stuck in all day training sessions. I got out this Friday evening at 5 - and stores closes at 7 sharp. I stopped at the local discount grocery store and bought petunias.  On my way home I ran into a colleague and she saw the name of the shop on my bags and gave me a lecture about how it was the German WalMart and destroying everything yadayadayada.  What a kill joy but OK.

Next up the street was my local liquor store. The lady proprietor waved me in and to my surprise she had ordered Angostura bitters for me! 

So I came home and now I'm enjoying an Old Fashioned, god haven't had one in years:

Put sugar cubes into a heavy glass.
Splash on some Bitters.
Wet it more with water or soda
Crush
Add the bourbon and ice
Orange and lemon and/or lime slices
Locate the ancient maraschino cherries from the back of the fridge, and throw one in too
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2011, 04:44:36 pm »
Old Fashioneds are a fab drink.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2011, 03:58:19 pm »
  It's hard to convince an 85 year old black woman (ex mother in law) that is a legend in the kitchen that you found a new way to do something.

You got some balls for even trying. LOL!!!

forgot to add:

That ham recipe sounds yummy.

I usually just make sure I have mustard dip but I might not need it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:00:07 pm by Snowangel »
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »

This was my breakfast this morning.  While some prefer SOS made with hamburger, this would be the version made with sliced dried beef.  Some call it SOS, but my family always called it Chipped Beef.

It's really easy to make and taste very good.  I usually make it with a few over medium fried eggs.

How to make.  Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of margarine in a pan and stir in 2 tablespoons of All Purpose flour, make a rue and let it turn slightly golden before you add some milk.  Before adding the milk remove from heat and now stir in a small amount of milk.  By adding a small amount it will be easier to incorporate the rue into the milk properly, slowly add more milk until you have enough gravy to cover 3 slices of toast.  Add a 1/2 jar of dried beef sliced into strips.  Now place back on medium heat, add a good sprinkle of black pepper and just a pinch of cayenne.  Keep stirring until it thickens, add more milk if you need to thin out to proper consistency.  Put over toast and enjoy....

Btw, this is the dried beef I was talking about:

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2011, 05:42:49 pm »
SKEEB...I thought you and me were cool?????

That pic just brought back some bad memories and yes, my father called it shit on a shingle.  What child would want to eat shit on a shingle?  EEEEwwwww, I hated that shit..LOL
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2011, 05:53:05 pm »
SKEEB...I thought you and me were cool?????

That pic just brought back some bad memories and yes, my father called it shit on a shingle.  What child would want to eat shit on a shingle?  EEEEwwwww, I hated that shit..LOL

LOL you and me is cool sister!  I admit, it's an acquired taste.  My 19 year old hates it and my 9 year old loves it.....

Now that I'm by myself I can make this stuff without all the strange looks of disgust lol.  It beats scrambled eggs, grits, and bacon anyday..

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2011, 06:49:43 pm »
mmmm SOS is good. even better with crumbled hard-boiled egg sprinkled on top. ;) we just had this for dinner a few nites ago at my house.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »
is that creamed chipped beef?

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:56 pm »
mmmm, chipped beef.  I buy mine right from the farmers market, and where's the home fries?
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2011, 01:17:29 am »
is that creamed chipped beef?

Yes, that's it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2011, 02:41:29 am »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2011, 08:03:38 am »
PICKLED ASPARAGUS ?

Anybody out there in AM Land ever actually made this?  Several weeks ago I was served this as a side with a ham and cheese sandwich and it was actually very good.  I know I could 'prolly' just google it but was wondering if anybody here in the family has a good recipe for it.  We found some at Sams Club yesterday and scarfed it up but with the new crop just around the corner, I thought it would be swell to make some of me own.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2011, 10:44:51 am »
Shit On a Shingle?
In military slang it is commonly referred to by the dysphemism "Shit On a Shingle" (SOS)—or more politely, "Stew On a Shingle" or "Same Old Stuff".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipped_beef
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2011, 10:55:32 am »
PICKLED ASPARAGUS
I'm going to look around for this to try some; but as we were talking about this at my house, I was reminded of something very delicious - pickled watermelon rind!  :-* I'm going to have to find a recipe this summer to try making some myself since I haven't had any since before my grandmother passed away.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2011, 11:10:37 am »
pickled watermelon rind!  :-* I'm going to have to find a recipe this summer to try making some myself since I haven't had any since before my grandmother passed away.

My mom always made these in late summer.  From what I hear, you have to use the big long ones with seeds that grew before these newer 'ice box' varieties came out.  The thickness of the skin on those makes them more conducive for making pickles.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »
OK Mikie,

This one came from my grandmother (mom's mom) and should still work well:

Watermelon Rind Pickle
Peel green and cut red from rind.  Soak 12 hours in lime water (2 cups pickling lime to 3 gallons of water) then rinse.  Next, soak in alum water 12 hours (2 teaspoons alum to 2 gallons of water) rinse thoroughly for a good 10 to 15 minutes with cold water.

Drain well and weigh, then cook in white vinegar with a dash of green food coloring.  Use 1/2 pint of vinegar to each pound of rind.  When desired color is obtained add 1 pound sugar to each pound of rind, 12 whole cloves, 12 whole berries of allspice, 4 cinnamon sticks then bring to a boil.  Boil this slowly for 1 hour.  Put in sterilized jars (note: 6 pounds of rind makes 5 quarts of pickle) for storage.

Offline ds4146

« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2011, 01:21:04 pm »
Well Mike someone beat me, but here is a great recipe. Last summer I finally decided that I needed to make these as I loved them as a kid when my grandmother made them. It is a bit of work, really just waiting, but worth it.

Wonderful Watermelon Pickles

From Chef Jean-Pierre Debeuf’s Kitchen at Elixir in White River Junction, VT

Makes about 8 pints

Hard to find at a local grocery outside the south, these morsels will make you a believer the first time you try them. Save the rind from your next watermelon and take a little time over the following three days to complete a series of simple steps.

The First Day

■Rind of a large watermelon
■3/4 cup pickling salt
■1 gallon of water
This is the toughest part of the process. Cut the watermelon rind into manageable chunks. Scrape any remaining red watermelon meat from the inside of the rind. Then pare off the hard green skin of the outer rind with a small knife. It’s not difficult, but it takes a while. Cube the rind into bite-size pieces.

In a large bowl, dissolve the salt in the water. Transfer the rind cubes to the salted water. Weight the rind down with a plate to keep it submerged. Soak the cubes at room temperature for 24 hours.

The Second Day

■6 cups sugar
■4 cup white vinegar
■2 cups light brown sugar
■2 lemons, sliced thin
■1 tablespoon whole cloves
■1 tablespoon whole allspice
■4 sticks cinnamon, broken
■¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
Combine all the ingredients in a large sauce pan and bring them to a boil; simmer the syrup for about 5 minutes.

While the syrup simmers, drain the cubes, rinse, and drain again. Rinse the bowl the cubes were soaking in and return the cubes to the bowl. Pour the hot syrup over the cubes. Cover lightly and let sit at room temperature for another 24 hours.

The Third Day

Sterilize 8 pint canning jars according to the manufacturer’s directions.

Pour the cubes and the syrup into a large pan and bring the mixture to a boil. With a slotted spoon, pack the cubes lightly into the prepared jars, dividing the lemon slices and spices equally among the jars. Pour the syrup over the cubes, covering them but leaving about 1/2-inch at the top of each jar. Seal.

Process the jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. Allow the pickles to sit for at least 1 week, and preferably

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2011, 02:28:53 pm »
Wow! Thanks guys! I'll try both recipes later this summer and let you know the results. Wonder when watermelons will show up in the fruit-n-veggies stands down here in SC? Although I guess I do still have time to get some started growing in my own garden. LOL

I seem to think that my grandmother (who also made the best canned beans, and always had three tall crock pots of brine curing several types of pickles at any given time) used that recipe DS because I remember the plate weighing down the rinds while they were soaking.

God! My mouth is watering just thinking about these. Thanks again guys! Of course, I'll post pictures when I make both of these - GAINT pickle pictures. ROFL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:39 pm »
God! My mouth is watering just thinking about these. Thanks again guys! Of course, I'll post pictures when I make both of these - GAINT pickle pictures. ROFL

;)   

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2011, 02:32:36 pm »

You guys eat the watermelon rinds?   I've never heard of this before... It's not a Southern thang is it?

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2011, 02:35:51 pm »

You guys eat the watermelon rinds?   I've never heard of this before... It's not a Southern thang is it?

I think it may be a Carolina thing..  not sure but maybe some parts of GA too.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2011, 02:50:33 pm »
don't misunderstand the word "pickled" either. The rind is soaked in a heavy sweet syrup, so these aren't sour but super sweet. I always thought it was a Southern thing as my relatives in NC, SC, GA, FL, and TX all know about pickled watermelon rind; but my yankee friends in OH, PA, and NY had no clue. From DS's story too, I gather you need a granny who did a lot of cooking, canning, and pickling, to know about this stuff.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:22:18 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #248 on: April 10, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »
don't misunderstand the word "pickled" either. The rind is soaked in a heavy sweet syrup, so these aren't sour by super sweet.

Oh yeah, There's a convenience here where I can get Watermelon pickles, they're in one of those big jars, between the pickled pigs feet and pickled eggs. Take one of each and you got a well rounded meal, although you ahve to watch out for the shits the next day.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #249 on: April 10, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »
don't misunderstand the word "pickled" either. The rind is soaked in a heavy sweet syrup, so these aren't sour by super sweet. I always thought it was a Southern thing as my relatives in NC, SC, GA, FL, and TX all know about pickled watermelon rind; but my yankee friends in OH, PA, and NY had no clue. From DS's story too, I gather you need a granny who did a lot of cooking, canning, and pickling, to know about this stuff.

Ya'll must be living at a lower standard than us Tennessean folk.... we throw that part of the watermelon on the ground, leave it for the coons.  lol

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.