Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:16:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 200
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Quit Smoking Thread  (Read 83242 times)

Offline minatl

Re: The Quit Smoking Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2014, 02:30:44 pm »
This is what worked for me.  I bought the E-Cig.  Used it for a few days while I finished my last 3 packs of cigs.  I smoked a pack a day for about 20 years.  Got used to the E-Cig...and finished the last of the cigarettes, and never went back.   This was May 11, 2013.  After gradually cutting down on the Nicotine levels on the E-Cig, I went to zero nicotine on October 1, 2013.  I found myself using the E-cig less and less, and it's now been a month since I have used it at all.  I find the smell of smoke both nasty and alluring at the same time...but I haven't given in.  I have gained some weight...but I can lose that.  Previously I had tried Chantix...that shit is EVIL...I don't suggest that to anyone.  I know you have to be ready to quit...then find what works for you. 
DX'd 12/18/13
CD4 - 364 VL - 23K 12/18/13
Started Stribild 1/23/14

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2014, 02:38:03 pm »
This vaporizer is a high end product and feels like I am really smoking .  I'm liking it so far except for the slight headache and rectal bleeding . It seems to be far better than the gas station one I tried before .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Matts

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »
I'm using my "Ego-C" from Joyetech since December. I think its a great invention. The normal e-cigs with these plastic depots didn't work for me- not enough steam.
I refill the liquid once a day, 50 ml cost only 10€ a month- its really cheap.
The Ego-C is cheaper in the long run than the Ego-T, because You only change the small head once a month and not the whole atomizer as before.

But there are so many vaporizers on the market, maybe some of them are even better.
Dovato

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »
This vaporizer is a high end product and feels like I am really smoking .  I'm liking it so far except for the slight headache and rectal bleeding . It seems to be far better than the gas station one I tried before .

How many times do I have to tell you to pad your headboard and get a bucket of lube? ::)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2014, 03:03:30 pm »
How many times do I have to tell you to pad your headboard and get a bucket of lube? ::)

Evidently at least this one more time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2014, 03:48:17 pm »
  I'm liking it so far except for ..... and rectal bleeding .

I'm not certain you are using it correctly, might want to re-visit the instructional materials.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:30 pm »
I'm not certain you are using it correctly, might want to re-visit the instructional materials.

Naw, he just misunderstood the guy in the shop when he said, "you can take home and try out anything you see here". Like I said, padding and lube, Jeff, padding and lube. 

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2014, 04:15:08 pm »
Now yall mean to tell me these vapor units are not suppository's ?  Yall blowin smoke out my ass .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2014, 06:25:35 pm »
Still not smoking regular cigarettes.  Picked up a disposable e-cig at the tobacco store.  The vape cig that my friend gave me in Vegas ran out, so I'm out of that.  I'm thinking of getting a vape kit at the tobacco store.  Seriously.  Like tomorrow.  Oh, I'm also wearing 1/2 a patch. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2014, 07:27:37 pm »
Still not smoking regular cigarettes.  Picked up a disposable e-cig at the tobacco store.  The vape cig that my friend gave me in Vegas ran out, so I'm out of that.  I'm thinking of getting a vape kit at the tobacco store.  Seriously.  Like tomorrow.  Oh, I'm also wearing 1/2 a patch.

Nice Betty! So what is this like the 4th day? You know, once I got to 7 days it became drastically easier thereafter.

Just beware of triggers and avoid them if possible.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:30:57 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline AverageJoe

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
I loved my cigs too guys, I'm from England and loved my Benson and Hedges Gold.

I managed to give up by using a vaporiser/ecig.  My advice would be don't even bother with the disposable or cigarette style .

Get one with a fat battery and a proper cartomiser/atomiser that really kicks out vapor.  Experiment with flavours, there's tobacco style, fruit, candy, puddings, you name it .  Ejuice makers are creating crazy flavours all the time.

Buy Ejuice with high nicotine content at first, then over time taper it down

Good luck to you all trying hard to quit.

I confess to still smoking a spliff occasionally though.

James

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2014, 03:32:04 am »
Nice Betty! So what is this like the 4th day?

Yeah, that was day #4.  I have bad insomnia right now, comes and goes.  I think quitting smoking can add to insomnia, not sure. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2014, 05:50:31 am »
Yeah, that was day #4.  I have bad insomnia right now, comes and goes.  I think quitting smoking can add to insomnia, not sure.

Betty when I gave up in the past the first week was always terrable for me and anyone I came into contact with. Insomnia was one off the many disturbances.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2014, 02:20:07 pm »

Hey Betty,

Please get yourself a "real" e-cig, because the difference between those and the disposable ones is huge.  When you consider what we spend to smoke cigarettes, I figured the price of the e-cig, would more than pay for itself, in like a week or so, to be worth the investment to stop for good.

You can do this Betty.

Joe

Offline Theyer

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2014, 03:34:22 pm »
Just want to join in, Betty , with the get yourself a rechargeable , powerful , e-giggie more outlay at fist cheaper in the long run. I am using www.10motives.com brand going to try the cigar option as I want the experience to be as near ingesting nicotine through tobacco as possible .This brand is cheaper through there website than buying there product in shops-plus web site sell,s bundles which again cuts the cost .

My GP said that France has made e-giggies prescription only . This is my fear because the tobacco companies are not going to look kindly on a device that even keeps this ardent euro smoker away from ciggies . Can anyone comment on that . Another thing I like about then is that I can hold then in my fingers, take a puff in bed without fear off major fire incident .Really we can fly to the moon , develop HIV drugs so you would think that a tar/Toxin reduced smoking device is not beyond our ken.

I miss the smoking room at the Hospital , Gallows humour the like off which I had never experienced and the maddest mix off people.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:14 pm »
Joe, I did it.  I had gotten e-cig kits in the past, but the batteries always burned out and I had to replace them about every 4-5 months.  The one I got today (my best friend, who has an all wheel drive truck came over and took me to the tobacco store, plus we went out to eat) is different. It's the kind I can put different flavors in lol.  Right now it's got candy cane in it.  I also have another e-cig that is just regular menthol.  I'm liking the flavored one.  I can also get regular menthol flavor for it.  I mentioned my friend coming over because I was just bitching about the snow we got and I don't want people thinking I'm fabricating. 

You're right Joe. I was bitching about the cost, when my friend reminded me that if I were to pay that price in cigarettes, it would only be 6 packs. 

Michael, I do not understand, other than the tobacco companies lobbying, why they would want to make e-cigs prescription only.  That seems counter productive.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »
That's how I understand it Betty.The Tabac company,s will want to restrict access .As I said I have only heard this from my GP , and was hoping some one reading the thread would be able to add more light on it.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »
That's how I understand it Betty.The Tabac company,s will want to restrict access .As I said I have only heard this from my GP , and was hoping some one reading the thread would be able to add more light on it.

I do not believe they could do that here in the States, since they've been selling them at tobacco stores for such a long length of time.  People wouldn't stand for it.  I hope they don't start doing it there, though I'm sure you would have no problem getting a script, would you?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2014, 06:07:33 pm »
Hey Betty,

I am so happy that you found an e-cig that works for you.  I initially thought the price was rather high, but when you figure in the price of refilling the e-cig, it's much cheaper than smoking.  I pay $17 30ML of oil - 18MG dose and that represents well over a carton of smokes for me, as I use the lowest battery setting.

I have saved over $200 bucks so far, above the cost of the e-cig and the change in my health has been quite impressive.

Just keep saying: "I can do this and I deserve to be smoke free."  You are doing this for yourself and you can do it... and I know you will.

Joe

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2014, 07:16:37 pm »
Thanks, Joe. The costs of oil are similar here.  But I'm using the highest milligram for now. I'm sure I will go down as it seems a bit strong.  I like the fact that it can be dialed down for an easier inhale.  I know it will save money in the long run. 

I thought the initial cost was high also, but also know from getting e-cigs that use cartridges, the initial cost of those kits are high also.  But, like my friend said, it isn't any more expensive than the price of 6 packs of cigarettes, and that was with everything.  Just buying the oil will be much cheaper, though I do want to get another battery. 

We can do this!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:11 am »
I'm also looking into getting one of the non-disposable e-cigs. In my town, I can only buy disposables (tried 'em, don't like 'em) or a non-disposable that doesn't have the dial, and I want a dial.

I need to get my butt on a bus and go into the capital to see what's on offer there, otherwise I'll have to wait until I go to Liverpool in April. I can order one over the internet (and that's probably where I'll get my refills from) but I want to be able to try out the different gizmos before I buy.

Regarding the tobacco companies being against e-cigs, that isn't the case if the documentary I watched last week is anything to go by. At least over here. One of the companies making e-cigs in the UK is the company that owns Benson and Hedges cigarettes (I think it was "British and American Tobacco Company"?) and they're delighted with the money they're making through them.

They asked the B&H company rep they interviewed if he thought the company was being cynical and hypocritical, and (to paraphrase), he said; "we're all about harm-reduction". He admitted that they're also all about corporate profits and it was profitable for them to jump on the e-cig bandwagon.

The one non-disposable e-cig I can buy in my town is made by B&H and allegedly, all their oils and components are made in the UK, rather than China like with a lot of other brands. I wonder if that will eventually get outsourced, just like so many other manufacturing jobs these days. (another discussion for another thread)

From what I've seen so far and what was talked about in the documentary, most of the laws due to go on the books are going to regulate what age you have to be to buy them, where you can buy them, where you can use them, and regulations regarding their advertisement. Nobody seems to be wanting to outlaw them completely. Yet, anyway.

Another thing talked about in the documentary was safety. There are over 4,000 chemicals in regular cigarettes and far, far fewer in e-cig oil, although I do not remember a number being put on the oils.

Many, including the manufacturers themselves, are calling for clinical studies to be done on their safety. But so far, going by anecdotal evidence, e-cigs are far less damaging, with people's health improving when switching from cigs to e-cigs. Even a rep from the British Cancer Association was cautiously optimistic about them.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2014, 07:05:44 am »
Yes, here, one has to be 18 to purchase e-cigs.  And I haven't seen any ads for them.  There also are regulations about where they can be used, though to tell you the truth, I haven't paid much attention to them, as I don't use it anywhere cigarettes can't be used. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:15 am »
All the websites selling in the UK, as well as all the packaging I've seen so far all clearly state that "you must be 18 to purchase", but evidently that's purely voluntary (CYA) as it isn't actually law yet.

I haven't seen any ads either, but most of the telly I watch is taped so I can FF through the adverts. I don't recall seeing any anywhere else either, but according to that documentary I watched, there are adverts in circulation and there was some concern that some were dangerously close to making it enticing to teens and others who don't even smoke cigarettes.

There aren't any laws yet (in the UK or EU) concerning where they can be used, but I do know that some pubs are banning them, while other pubs are welcoming them with open arms. The smoking ban in pubs has really hurt the pub trade, with the resulting closures and loss of jobs for many. You'd think that none of them would ban them.

According to that documentary, e-cigs are totally unregulated in the UK and EU so far. The Rock usually brings in any laws the UK does, so this will eventually effect us here too, although so far the proposed laws aren't too restrictive and are just common sense - unless of course they do the smoking ban thing and outlaw them in any enclosed public spaces. That would be annoying.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2014, 11:08:02 am »
Yes, here in Hoosierville, there are smoking bans in bars.  Which I think is ridiculous; I know when I was consuming alcohol, I would smoke like a fiend.  Bars lose a lot of business because of it, especially in this horrible weather. 

I have seen regular cigarettes advertised in some beauty magazines like Claire etc.  But mostly these cigarettes I can't think of the name, that have a Native American on the package.  I really haven't seen any e-cig adverts, though they may be coming in the future.

I'm hoping the state doesn't start taxing them to death like they do regular cigarettes.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2014, 11:14:27 am »
I am really liking my ecig . I have been using it exclusively for the last 2 days now and have zero cravings for a real ciggy .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2014, 06:37:25 pm »
I don't have any cravings either, Jeff.  I'm going to get another flavor in the next couple days.  But in a lower milligram.  I didn't realize how strong the 24 mg is.  I've smoked 24 mg in e-cigs with cartridges, but this seems a lot stronger.  It's like day 7.  Without real cigarettes.  Everyone keep it up!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2014, 10:27:01 pm »
Question for those with a puff counter on your ecig . I took 126 puffs yesterday and from what I read that is about half a pack a day in cigarette numbers .

How many puffs are you taking ? 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:52 am »
Keep up the good work guys!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2014, 05:17:57 pm »

How many puffs are you taking ?

About 250 give or take a puff or two....  I went the ghetto route and bought that highly advertised Blu e-cig.   It does the job without the counter.lol

Edited to add: The Blu e-cig reminds me of a crack pipe,,,,  just the trick for quitting I guess.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:20:55 pm by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2014, 10:01:11 am »
OK ... I talk Ann into getting one of the vape pipes like mine, she got it in the mail today  but she is all upset that the thing isn't working . We spend an hour on Skype scouring the internet troubleshooting what the problem could be when it finally dawned on her that you must push a button to get a hit on the thing . Just LOL . I shit you not .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:18 am »
OK ... I talk Ann into getting one of the vape pipes like mine, she got it in the mail today  but she is all upset that the thing isn't working . We spend an hour on Skype scouring the internet troubleshooting what the problem could be when it finally dawned on her that you must push a button to get a hit on the thing . Just LOL . I shit you not .

Fuck you, Now now, sweetie. You forgot to tell everyone how I made that mistake.

I'd been trying out disposable ecigs where the action of taking a drag triggers the burner and there aren't any buttons to push. I thought once the rechargeable unit was turned on you just had to take a drag and it would trigger the burner, just like with the disposables.

Easy mistake to make, no?

And nowhere in the destruction pamphlet did it say to hold the on/off button down while you took a drag. Nowhere. It's a travesty!

Put that in your vaper and smoke it!

Now that I got it working, I'm liking it. So far so good  - aside from Jeff being a meany about it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2014, 12:05:38 pm »
Fuck you, Now now, sweetie. You forgot to tell everyone how I made that mistake.

I'd been trying out disposable ecigs where the action of taking a drag triggers the burner and there aren't any buttons to push. I thought once the rechargeable unit was turned on you just had to take a drag and it would trigger the burner, just like with the disposables.

Easy mistake to make, no?

And nowhere in the destruction pamphlet did it say to hold the on/off button down while you took a drag. Nowhere. It's a travesty!

Put that in your vaper and smoke it!

Now that I got it working, I'm liking it. So far so good  - aside from Jeff being a meany about it.

We have a saying in the south ... Bless your heart .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2014, 12:07:39 pm »
We have a saying in the south ... Bless your heart .

We have a saying on the Rock - There's a boat in the morning!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Theyer

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2014, 02:38:41 pm »
So Jeff, Ann, Betty, Skeebo and me all no holds barred nicotine Junkies are managing to stay off the tabac with the Vapes.

The brand I think you are thinking off Betty is American Spirit its Tobacco with no additives. Though sadly still the Tar and carcinogenics and lung gunk making abilities.

I must admit to still wanting a proper ciggie but have not relented , I summon up all the guilt inducing mental images I can when I am near the tabac counter , and really you cannot continue after 2 bouts off hospital and 5 anti- biotic home treatments it would just be to oh God I am such a snob but it would be too .common.
There I said it.
m

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2014, 01:47:17 pm »
Miss P is hardcore and still smokes The Real Deal®
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2014, 01:49:27 pm »
I have not wanted a regular ciggy as of yet .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2014, 02:03:42 pm »
I have not wanted a regular ciggy as of yet .

I still WANT A REAL CIGARETTE REALLY, REALLY BAD, however I find that I no longer NEED a real cigarette and that difference is real and tangible.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »
When I used gum or patches in the past they took the edge off but my vape system is not like that for me . I'm preferring this over cigarettes and that is a huge change for me  . I have been puffing less than 100 times a day so perhaps I can quit this in a few weeks or months .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:35 pm »
I admire you all for accomplishing this feat.  I've quit numerous times with the longest being over 3 years.  I craved them EVERY single day.  And the accompanying weight gain each time was unpleasant.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »
I admire you all for accomplishing this feat.  I've quit numerous times with the longest being over 3 years.  I craved them EVERY single day.  And the accompanying weight gain each time was unpleasant.

Come on Wolfie, you have the testaments here for using an e-cigarette, so what are you waiting for?  Like Jeff, I tried all the ways to quit, including hypnosis and none of it worked.  I have been smoking for 45 years, non-stop and this is the first time that I have quit real cigarettes for any longer than a month or so.

I figure if it works for me, it might just work for you.  All you have to lose is a really dangerous habit, without losing the nicotine and subsequent weight gain.

Joe

Offline Theyer

« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2014, 09:38:13 am »
I still WANT A REAL CIGARETTE REALLY, REALLY BAD, however I find that I no longer NEED a real cigarette and that difference is real and tangible.

Joe

Yes, this is exactly how I am.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2014, 05:01:12 am »
I guess it's been a couple weeks?  I'd have to look back to see.

I have not wanted a real cigarette until I was in the hospital and had to go without the vape for a while.  Other than that, I do not crave them, and have even been able to go for long periods of time without vaping.  I hope, by at least the end of summer, to be totally off everything. 

Offline Theyer

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2014, 09:53:12 am »
That's great Betty , my Hos when I stayed seemed to be full off people using the vape but then the HIV ward has always had a don,t show we won,t go crazy attitude.

At the moment I am content to just stay off the ciggies . I will drop the strength and try the product Ann is using . Which is like smoking a fruit salad .

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2014, 10:06:54 pm »
I went to a new vaping store and found some really nice nicotine juice called LicLiq that is made in the U.S by an accredited lab . I now need to find out what an accredited lab means LOL .

This new batch is really smooth and I also went down in nicotine from 24 to 16 mg . They also had vaporizers for dried herbs for people who wish to incinerate parsley sage and thyme .   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:14:45 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:45 pm »
I want to find a Vape shop . The internet sites are too overwhelming at the moment but I reckon my present method off ready filled cartridges and re- chargeable battery is more expensive and certainly less flavour choice . I used a vapour unit a couple off years ago for herbal remedies and lost the use off my legs for a couple off hours.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »
Jeff, I'm also down to 16 mg.  I'm going to shoot for the end of summer to attempt to totally wean off.

Offline Irish Eyes

• Standard
  • A closed mind is a beautiful thing to lose
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2014, 10:16:37 am »
Even going through sero, I was sick as a dog, couldn't eat, raw throat, bla bla..
but still that pack in the drawer kept calling.
granted I smoke abt 10 a day, in sero was down to 2 and was planing if it's this easy to cut down, why not cut them out, can't be that hard.
Yeah right! now up 2 a pack a day, in anticipation of stopping when on meds.
Load up while u can kiddo…..

Looks like the posters have all resorted back to ciggies. The conversation changed
10/30/13          Exposure
Mid-Nov-Jan    Seroconversion (7-8 rough wks)
12.26.2013      WB dx. HIV+
02.01.2014      OraQuick (result Negative?)
01.31.2014      VL 250700
02.03.2014      CD4  491  26%
02.26.2014      CD4  503  26%
03.05.2014      HLA B6701  not present
03.18.2014      VL 530873 (typical fluctuation)
03.21.2014      Start Stribild
04.14.2014      VL 104 after 24 doses
05.12.2014      VL 129 after 52 doses
06.10.2014      CD4 940 32%
06.11.2014      VL 87
07.22.2014      VL 20
09.23.2014      VL 43
11.26.2014      CD4 1350 33%
01.26.2015.     VL 27
01.26.2015      VL <20
06/03/2015      VL 28
06/03/2015      CD4 1135 42%
12/10/2015      VL 27
12/10/2015      CD4 1111 36% cd8+tcell 1058 34%
06/23/2016      VL 49
06/23/2016      CD4 1255 41% cd8+tcell 882 29%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2014, 05:30:09 pm »
I'm still not smoking cigarettes and do not plan on starting back ... I am still vaping but cutting down on that too .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2014, 05:41:57 pm »
I'm still not smoking cigarettes and do not plan on starting back ... I am still vaping but cutting down on that too .

I'm still not smoking cigarettes either, also vaping but tapering off little by little.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2014, 11:51:29 pm »
Congrats guys and gals. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.