Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Boston Meet and Greet Proposal  (Read 15658 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Boston Meet and Greet Proposal
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:54:39 pm »
Hi all,

Below is a proposal for next years Meet and Greet in Boston.  Nothing has been confirmed and I welcome your feedback.

The location I propose is unique to Boston and very reasonable, in my opinion, for it's location. 

CHEERS at Faneuil Market Place
http://www.cheersboston.com/fh_directions.htm

Less than two miles from the hotel and easily accessible from the hotel by subway (Orange Line).

Price Per Person: $41 (based on 50 persons)

Price includes menu below (served buffet style), private room in lower pub, 5% Massachusetts sales tax, 15% service charge, 5% taxable administrative fee, and entertainment. Full cash bar will be available.

“CARLA’S PASTA BUFFET”

Mini Pizzas

Crisp Mozzarella Sticks
Served with our delicious tomato basil sauce

Buffalo Tenders
Boneless chicken tenderloins fried crispy and dipped in our hot sauce

Pasta Primavera
Our pasta of the day, sautéed in a Chardonnay cream sauce with char-grilled chicken,
tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, peppers and Parmesan cheese

Penne with Tomato Basil Sauce
Topped with grated Parmesan cheese

Caesar Salad
The traditional preparation of romaine, Parmesan cheese
and herbed croutons in the classic dressing

Garlic Bread
Oven-baked with Parmesan and garlic. Served with our tomato basil sauce for dipping

Boston Cream Pie

Cheers,
Dennis

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Boston Meet and Greet Proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:27:35 pm »
I think this is a very interesting choice.  Faneuil Hall Market Place (aka; Quincy Market) is a top tourist destination in Boston.  As you might imagine, they "imported" a Cheers themed restaurant to that location for the draw (the "actual" Cheers is by the State House, across from the Boston Common).  I've never been to this Cheers location so I can't comment on the food, but I do like the location.
At one end of the Market Place is Boston's (ugly) City Hall, but the other end has been transformed after the "Big Dig".  Where there used to be a mass of steel girders holding up Boston's Central Artery we should now find the Rose Kennedy Garden.  I haven't seen this yet and had every intention of doing so on this trip -- so I like the location.
The food isn't really unique, but the whole meet and greet is the part I'm most looking forward to, so I have no problems with this menu.

Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:27 pm »
I did enquire about the original Cheers.  However, they don't have space for private events.  The only way to secure the original was to rent out the entire establishment. 

You are right.  The food is not unique to Boston.  However, the location and theme is. 

I can't comment on the quality of the food.  I suspect it is going to be descent.  Food and staff  is actually being supplied from Hampshire House, which from what I understand, is a fine dining events facility on Beacon Hill.

Dennis

I think this is a very interesting choice.  Faneuil Hall Market Place (aka; Quincy Market) is a top tourist destination in Boston.  As you might imagine, they "imported" a Cheers themed restaurant to that location for the draw (the "actual" Cheers is by the State House, across from the Boston Common).  I've never been to this Cheers location so I can't comment on the food, but I do like the location.
At one end of the Market Place is Boston's (ugly) City Hall, but the other end has been transformed after the "Big Dig".  Where there used to be a mass of steel girders holding up Boston's Central Artery we should now find the Rose Kennedy Garden.  I haven't seen this yet and had every intention of doing so on this trip -- so I like the location.
The food isn't really unique, but the whole meet and greet is the part I'm most looking forward to, so I have no problems with this menu.

Mike

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:06:02 am »
It sounds splendid to me! Good food, good price, and if anyone gets bored they can wander out and trap a tourist. And we all can say that this year, we had a private party at Cheers!

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:04:49 pm »
Thom and I are ready to jump on this bandwagon.  "Cheers" sounds perfect to us.  Any chance of them including a cup of clam chouder?

Regards, Ric & Thom

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:16:48 pm »
Hey Mr. AMG

Sounds good to me too!   ;D

RAB

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:56:13 am »
Hi Everyone!

I've been quietly sitting back, watching the attendees list. And while it has grown the last couple of months, I don't quite think we are going to hit the 50 persons mark this year.

So my dilemma is what to do for this years Meet & Greet. With school and my student teaching, I have very little time. I need your help more than ever to make this years event successful!

I can follow through with the proposal above. Although the price may increase closer to $50 per person with a decrease in attendance. I do have a couple of other ideas. However, I'd like to hear what is on everyone's mind.

For those who have attended the last events I have planned please let me know what you liked. More importantly, tell me what you didn't like! What worked and what didn't? What would you like to see done this year?

Ciao,

Dennis

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 11:36:23 am »
Hi Dennis:   :)

I think you're right that we aren't going to hit the 50 attendees # this year.  My guess is that we'll be closer to something like 25 or so.

As far as the Meet and Greet goes, I'd try to keep it as simple as possible.  The two you've organized for us (from the pink dungeon in SF to the glass penthouse in Mexico City) were wonderful.

I don't think we need entertainment--you know how we are. . . .we're our own entertainment.   ;)

I do however, think it's important that we have a space of our own.

Anything we can do to help keep the cost down is probably a good idea (though I'm not sure what the price point should be--maybe $50.00 is a bit high   ???).  Hopefully others will chime in and express their thoughts on the cost issue.

Either way, I'll go with whatever the group decides.  (As long as it doesn't inclube LOBSTER  :P)

RAB

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:07 am »
Thanks Rab.

I'm in agreement regarding keeping the price point down. I understand everyone is on a budget. Personally, I think $40 - $50 is reasonable to have our own space with some sort of food service.

Ironically, one way to keep the cost of the event down is to have more in attendance. Sooooo, if anyone is playing with the idea of attending, now is the time to decide!

And after you've made up your mind to attend, post your ideas here. Please include the maximum you would contribute towards the cost of the Meet & Greet.

Dennis

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 05:41:05 pm »
Dennis , I know you have a lot of experience in working this area..is it really possible in a high cost area  like Boston to set up something in a private location for $50 a person???   I have many relatives and friends in  Boston area.....when they have "get togethers"  whether private or "family" oriented  by the time costs are rolled up they seem to spend $65 to $70 per person....most of it on food/ entertainment....  If the weather is nice there are many "parks" and  public places where you can have a gathering.....but as soon as you look for a private place I fear the prices will exceed $50..
I think the current suggestion was a big concession on the part of the club owner to fill a space he normally would not be using...  all the rest comes down to food...anyone for  pigs in blanket??
just a joke guys.....I am just concerned that if we try for something "cheaper"  it will be a real disappointment... RAB said  "no Lobster"  for $50 /person  don't worry about that....
One of the lesser known "bargain" areas of Boston are  all the restaurants in  "China town"  there are dozens of them that serve great meals at reasonable prices.....having a private function at one of them may be possible  to have a huge spread of various foods within or under Budget... just a possibility.... they frequently have large family groups and I don't think 25 or 30 would be a problem for the larger ones...  may not have the huge Buffet like Mexico or the lavish spread at the top of the Hotel....but could be fun

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:24:23 pm »
I do think it's possible, Nick. We did it in SFO, one of the most overpriced cities in the world. Each city has had it's own unique problems when it has come to planning this event, and I suspect Boston will be no different.

This has been a struggle the last couple of years. However, something always seems to come through. I imagine something will  come through this year as well.  I'm hoping the recession will work to our advantage.

Dennis , I know you have a lot of experience in working this area..is it really possible in a high cost area  like Boston to set up something in a private location for $50 a person???   I have many relatives and friends in  Boston area.....when they have "get togethers"  whether private or "family" oriented  by the time costs are rolled up they seem to spend $65 to $70 per person....most of it on food/ entertainment....  If the weather is nice there are many "parks" and  public places where you can have a gathering.....but as soon as you look for a private place I fear the prices will exceed $50..
I think the current suggestion was a big concession on the part of the club owner to fill a space he normally would not be using...  all the rest comes down to food...anyone for  pigs in blanket??
just a joke guys.....I am just concerned that if we try for something "cheaper"  it will be a real disappointment... RAB said  "no Lobster"  for $50 /person  don't worry about that....
One of the lesser known "bargain" areas of Boston are  all the restaurants in  "China town"  there are dozens of them that serve great meals at reasonable prices.....having a private function at one of them may be possible  to have a huge spread of various foods within or under Budget... just a possibility.... they frequently have large family groups and I don't think 25 or 30 would be a problem for the larger ones...  may not have the huge Buffet like Mexico or the lavish spread at the top of the Hotel....but could be fun

Nick
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:26:54 pm by AMG Coordinator »

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 12:22:43 pm »
I have spoken with the director at CHEERS at Faneuil Market Place and she has agreed to reduce their event minimum for our group.

The proposal above still stands. The price could be reduced to around $35 if we only went with appetizers. They would include buffalo tenders, chips/salsa, mozzarella sticks, pub skins, and quesadillas. Personally, I think the pasta buffet is much better deal.

Please advise if this works for you.  If not, please continue to post ideas and suggestions.

Dennis

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:44 pm »
Dennis as usual you have good insight to this issue..I think the Cheers idea  is a good one....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 02:56:40 pm »
Dennis,

I think the pasta buffet is still a great deal and I am pleased that the proprietor is willing to lower the minimum.  In this economy, it pays to be flexible.  I am still hoping to get a better air ticket price so I haven't posted yet, but I wlll be attending the entire gathering.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 05:29:24 pm »
Hi

CHEERS at Faneuil Market Place sounds wonderful...so count me in.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 08:26:45 pm »
Dennis,

The Davids and Bonnie all think the pasta buffet sounds good.  Thanks for all the work you're putting in; I know it's going to be a great time!

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 10:19:46 pm »
Santi is all low-carb talk until you wave some pasta under his nose...so count us in!  ;D

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 07:58:06 pm »
Ask and you shall receive  ;D

A soup bar will be included with clam chowder.

Dennis

Thom and I are ready to jump on this bandwagon.  "Cheers" sounds perfect to us.  Any chance of them including a cup of clam chouder?

Regards, Ric & Thom

Offline PRMike

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 02:42:57 pm »
Hi I know that this is not with the topic but a girl friend of mine just moved to Boston and she would like me to move there also so What I would like to know is---  how are the services for people with Hiv/Aids and if someone could tell me what is the SSI benifit  amount in Boston ???
thank you for any and all info as always your friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline Basquo

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:48 pm »
Hi Mike, none of the people who've posted in this thread actually live in Boston, we're just planning to meet there. I'm not sure if anyone who lives in Boston is following this thread or not, but you might want to start a new thread in the Living with HIV forum asking about what's available in that area.  You might get more people from that area checking in that forum.

Best,
Creighton

Offline PRMike

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 09:43:25 pm »
Hi Mike, none of the people who've posted in this thread actually live in Boston, we're just planning to meet there. I'm not sure if anyone who lives in Boston is following this thread or not, but you might want to start a new thread in the Living with HIV forum asking about what's available in that area.  You might get more people from that area checking in that forum.

Best,
Creighton
  Thank you I will give it a shot...
PRMike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 11:42:01 am »
Space and menu has been confirmed. The original price point noted above was $50 for approximately 50 persons in attendance. With the lower expected attendance, I was still able to bring that down somewhat with clam chowder thrown in upon request.

CHEERS at Faneuil Market Place
http://www.cheersboston.com/fh_directions.htm

Price Per Person: $42

Price includes menu below (served buffet style), private room in lower pub, 5% Massachusetts sales tax, 15% service charge, 5% taxable administrative fee, and entertainment. Full cash bar will be available.

“CARLA’S PASTA BUFFET”

Clam Chowder

Mini Pizzas

Crisp Mozzarella Sticks
Served with our delicious tomato basil sauce

Buffalo Tenders
Boneless chicken tenderloins fried crispy and dipped in our hot sauce

Pasta Primavera
Our pasta of the day, sautéed in a Chardonnay cream sauce with char-grilled chicken,
tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, peppers and Parmesan cheese

Penne with Tomato Basil Sauce
Topped with grated Parmesan cheese

Caesar Salad
The traditional preparation of romaine, Parmesan cheese
and herbed croutons in the classic dressing

Garlic Bread
Oven-baked with Parmesan and garlic. Served with our tomato basil sauce for dipping

Boston Cream Pie

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 05:09:12 pm »
What day is the meet and greet?

I was going to try to either drive in from Springfield or drive to Westboro and take the train in?

I was trying to look at the other thread but it looks like people are coming in on the 5th, 6th and 7th.

Thanks,
Snow

PMRMike- I think the SSI is around $500 to $600.  I am not sure of the exact amount.  There is an ASO called the Boston Living Center that might be able to answer a lot of questions for you.  I believe the website is www.BostonLivingCenter.com.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »
The meet and greet is on Friday evening, August 7th. While most people are arriving earlier, it's not necessary. You are welcome to join us at anytime.

What day is the meet and greet?

I was going to try to either drive in from Springfield or drive to Westboro and take the train in?

I was trying to look at the other thread but it looks like people are coming in on the 5th, 6th and 7th.

Thanks,
Snow

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 10:53:46 am »
Sounds good  count me in.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 06:52:47 am »
Hi everyone thank you for your answers to my question but I will not need any info since I'm no longer seeing my friend...
thank you all again as always your friend Mike
PRMike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.