Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:40:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 525
Total: 528

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Anal - protected or not?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Austinscared

Anal - protected or not?
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:19 pm »
I'll try and keep this brief and avoid excessive posting.  I don't ever do anal and deviated.  I went to a bath house and went over to a couple of guys to have safe fun - hand jobs.  One immediately starting giving me oral while the other start pressing his penis up against my rectum.  I did reach back to ensure that he had a condom on and he did penetrate me for about 30 to 60 seconds.   As I don't have anal that often and I felt overwhelmed, I turned away from the oral and the guy penetrating me.  As I turned away, a few seconds later he penetrated me again (for a few seconds as I wasn't expecting it) before I walked away.  I showered and came back and he was putting another condom on the top the other guy.  As I want sure about the second time since he was behind me and I wasn't expecting it, I asked if he had a condom on the whole time and he said yes.  I guess if he was telling the truth I have absolutely nothing to worry about right?  Worst case scenario, he lied about having a condom on the second time that he penetrated me for a few seconds.  If that is the case, what is my risk of getting HIV?   Enough to go on pep?  Lastly, a health practioner friend told me I should get an HIV RNA test 14 days after the incident.  He did say there is a risk of a false positive but that a negative is golden.  I am very nervous about this as I don't have anal sex and this all caught me very off guard.  I am praying the guy was telling the truth especially since he seemed vigilant about putting a condom on before being with that other guy.

Your guidance is much appreciated.   I went to a clinic here in Austin and some of what they told me about a serious risk (oral) seems contradictory to everything I have read.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Anal - protected or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:31 am »
From what you have described it seems to me that you had very brief protected anal intercourse. I agree that the fact that the insertive guy was putting a condom on with the other fellow is a good indication that he is consistently using condoms for anal.

I would say that testing is really for your peace of mind because I don't think you actually had a risk. An RNA should be done at 28 days if you are doing one.

If you had a real risk you would need to test at 3 months for a conclusive result. A negative at 6 weeks with an ELISA would be a strong indication that you will test negative at 3 months. But that's if you had a real risk of unprotected anal, which I don't think is what happened with you.
Andy Velez

Offline Austinscared

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »
So what I can surmise from your comments is that more than likely he kept a condom on the whole, but brief time - since the whole encounter was brief.  I know he didn't cum because he was putting a condom on to be with the other guy within 3 minute of me walking away and coming back to ask if he had kept the condom on the whole time.   Not sure why he would lie.  Even if it (condom) somehow broke or he removed before penetrating me the second time that the risk wasnt high enough to warrant Pep since it was so minimal?  Is this an accurate understanding of your reply?  I think my lack of participating in anal has heightened by anxiety in this case which is why I stopped participating in the practice a few years ago; just really caught me off guard.

And I really do appreciate the reply and this site.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:32:14 am »
Austin,

I agree with Andy that it seriously doesn't sound like this guy wasn't wearing a condom. Not all men are reckless when it comes to their health or the health of others, you know. He definitely was wearing a condom the first time, and as he was going through all the trouble of putting a new one on for a new guy, I see no reason why he would attempt to enter you the second time without one.

Even if the second time was condomless, it doesn't warrant PEP.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Austinscared

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I decided not to go on pep based on your advice.  Sounds like I either had no risk (if condom stayed intact, which he said it did) or a minimal risk.  I read unprotected receptive anal without ejaculation is a 1:142 chance and figure worst case scenario, the condom broke and he didn't tell that it would be much lower since he wouldn't have been inside me very long.

I spoke to a counselor at King county in Seattle since I live their part time for work and they did say since the condom could have broken (since I didnt see it afterwards) I should come in for a test and they do RNA testing.  The only discrepancy is they say to get tested no earlier than 14 days and no later than 28 days as if you were infected your viral load would be sky high at 14 days and could be under control after 28.  They feel 14 days is conclusive as they have been doing the testing for a few years and have never seen someone come back positive (with no additional exposures) if they tested negative at 14 days.  It conflicts with Andy's advice but I guess I will go with it since I will go to them for care.   

Wish I didn't have to wait that long as I am freaking out (pissed At myself unbelievably for breaking my rule of absolutely no anal) and unable to sleep.  But based on everything I read on here it sounds like I did the right thing insisting on a condom.

Wish me luck as I pray I come out of this ok.  I guess I won't be posting results unless bad news so let's hope I don't post again.   Thank you for your assistance and you should accept donations as I would happily donate to keep you wonderful people available for this wonderful service.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:59:59 am »
Austin,

So who's gonna pay for this expensive RNA test? You? Them? I doubt your insurance would pay for it when it's not a conclusive test (unless you've got some super-duper health insurance). RNA testing is only recommended when there has been a clear risk. You have not had a clear risk and it sounds like you had no risk at all.

You know how they can say they've never ... blahblahblah ...? It's because you still would have to confirm any result with antibody testing. Sorry, but there are no short-cuts to hiv testing.

While most of what they say is true in principal, any RNA result must still be confirmed one way or the other with antibody testing.

I really think you're worrying for no good reason and all you need is antibody testing for your own peace of mind. If you've got the money to pay out-of-pocket for an RNA test, then knock yourself out.

If you want to make a donation (and thank you if you do), send check made out to AIDSmeds.com and please stipulate in the corner that it is for the running costs of the forum.

AIDSmeds.com,
462 Seventh Avenue, 19th Floor,
New York, NY 10018.

Starting sometime today, if you want/need to post further questions in the Am I Infected forum, you will need a subscription. Details are at the top of ANY Am I Infected forum page.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.