Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:38:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 631
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hell in bed!  (Read 8939 times)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Hell in bed!
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:11:54 am »
05-26-10 09:23 AM

We have been really working like "younger" people remodeling both bath rooms, laying loads of tile and new cabinets, and both of us are really exhausted. I have been running a fever for about a week, and have been coughing up some stuff from my lungs. I wore a mask to cut the concrete board, and thought that would be enough, but maybe not. Otherwise, it feels like the first time I got PCP, which it shouldn't be because of my CD4 count, but there is no way of knowing without a visit to the VA Hospital in Tucson. So, today that is what we are doing to find out why this body is failing now. I am not terribly worried, because I don't really feel all that sick, but I do know something is wrong, so we are going to find out.

Whew, long day. First off, I have had some abdominal pain at the top of my stomach, and some liver pain. So, we did loads of blood, urinalysis, chest ex-ray and finally at about 4:30, an ultrasound of the liver. Great news, my nurse said, your liver functions are the best they've been for the last 11 years. Now all we have to do is see if Doctor can find out why you are sitting here in pain, and a fever. Doctor and I chatted and examined the chest x-ray, and saw an abnormality that wasn't there last Sept. Doctor put me on a medication for common Pneumonia, and is running blood culture tests, both 24 and 48 hours. He suspects either that or Tetanus.

05-28-10 06:21 PM

OK, Doctor called today, and he is pretty sure it is Coccidioidomycosis or the more common name, Valley Fever.
Symptoms of coccidioidomycosis can include:

?Blood-tinged sputum
?Change in mental status
?Chest pain (can vary from a mild sense of constriction to severe pain, may get worse when taking a deep breath)
?Chills
?Cough
?Fever
?Headache
?Joint stiffness
?Loss of appetite
?Muscle aches
?Muscle stiffness
?Neck stiffness or shoulder stiffness
?Night sweats
?Rash, may be painful, red nodules on lower legs (erythema nodosum)
?Sensitivity to light
?Sweating, excessive
?Weight loss
?Wheezing
?Ankle, feet, and leg swelling
?Arthritis
?Enlarged or draining lymph nodes
?Joint pain
?Joint swelling

Wow, no wonder I don't feel good and have many of the above symptoms.

The fever is caused by airborne fungi, which live mainly in the Southwest of the U.S., and is common in most of Arizona. Fortunately, there are few cases here in my area, due to the altitude and the vegetation, but some do get it in the spring when the westerly winds blow.

He has initiated a test out of the blood I donated, and he will have the confirmation next Monday or Tuesday. The culture tests for Pneumonia were negative, but he has recommended I keep on the Antibiotic he prescribed for the full week, to make sure other infections don't show up. He is fairly sure this won't happen as my CD4 is now above 600. That was news in itself.  If his patients have a high CD4, he normally doesn't treat Valley Fever, because it must be treated with anti-fungals, which can really screw with HAART.  Valley Fever usually passes on its own, and you never get it again.

I am still waking up with about a 100 degree fever, which breaks about an hour later, and then in the afternoon it goes up to 101 or a bit above.

I'll keep you posted on developments, but at this point I am feeling pretty punk and not doing much but nursing the fever.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Hell in bed!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:09:28 am »
Valley Fever usually passes on its own, and you never get it again.
I'm sending some poz vibes for a quick recovery for you Tim. ;D That all sounds terrible especially when you were having so much fun being busy. Sounds like the only good news, is that you'll never have this to worry about again. (Some consolation, huh, while you're lying there feeling like crap LOL) Best wishes and get well soon! :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:15:23 am »
I hope you are on the mend and feel better .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:59:59 pm »
Bad news .....good news.  I guess the good news is that you have an incredible health care group.
Be well, and TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:10:49 pm »
Thinking of you, Daddy Tim.  Hope you feel better soon.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »
Oh Daddy Tim, I do hope you feel better soon.  Hopefully very soon!  Good wishes.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 07:33:54 pm »
Tim, lots of nasty stuff in the air around here too in my neck of the woods, take care of yourself, and get better  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 07:52:36 pm »
Tim,

Sorry to hear you've been having a rough go at things lately.  Wishing you a fast and speedy recovery. Thank the Gods/goddesses for the VA.  Sounds as though they are right on top of things.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:28:19 pm »
Speedy recovery to you!  I live in the AZ desert as well and know all about valley fever...they thought I may have had that when I was sick during seroconversion.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!
~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:30:35 am »
Thank you all so very much for the good wishes and good karma.  Yes! I do have a wonderful team on my side, and this is the reason I moved here in the first place.  My doctor is really on top of things, and my nurse is one of the angels.

Nothing has much changed in the fevers, except they are now lower, so I guess that means healing is taking place.  I awoke this morning to a 100 degree fever, and went to bed last night with the same.  Haven't hit 101 since Friday, so there is definately progress.  Sortof. 

I'll speak with my doctor either today or tomorrow, as he gave me his personal number if I promissed not to bug him in the future.  I assured him my life is far too full to bug him anytime, and he chuckled and said "that's why I'm doing it".   Nurse is off work at home and gave me her cell number.  Actually, she didn't give it to me but Sweetie, as it is against the rules of the VA for her to give me her number, so she wrote it down and put Sweeties name at the top, with instructions not to read it, with a huge smile.

I feel well taken care of.  Good reason to move states.

Hippie Lady, I appreciate your good wishes, but you should probably not post in this forum, because the admin gets a bit testy when the newly infected post in our forum. 
Lynn Lavne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 10:09:28 am »
Speedy recovery to you!  I live in the AZ desert as well and know all about valley fever...they thought I may have had that when I was sick during seroconversion.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

HippieLady,

I know you mean well, but as a newly-diagnosed person you should not be posting in the LTS forum.

Some of the sub-forums have their own welcome thread, which supplement our main Welcome Thread found in the Living forum. You should read these supplemental welcome threads in any forum where they appear, because they sometimes list posting restrictions.

The LTS Welcome thread can be found here.

Heck, I'm only allowed to post here in my moderator capacity - so please don't take this personally.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Moffie, while I'm here, I hope you're feeling better very soon. I'm sending love, light and positive healing your way.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:11:06 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 10:13:50 am »
Ann,

Kisses on your openings doll.

Love ya, Tim.
Lynn Lavne

Offline peteb

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30:10 am »
I hope you get better soon
I caught Valley fever to same symptoms I have been sick since Feb at the same time found out I had AIDS
again hope you feel better
Pete

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 10:33:58 am »
Ann,

Love ya, Tim.

Ann,

Love ya, Tim.

Same back atcha, darlin.

:-* O :-* O :-*

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 10:47:56 am »
I hope you get better soon
I caught Valley fever to same symptoms I have been sick since Feb at the same time found out I had AIDS
again hope you feel better
Pete

Pete, how many times do you have to be told that you are NOT permitted to post in this forum?

You're going to end up with a seven day Time Out if you don't start abiding by the rules.

The rule about people diagnosed after 1996 not posting in the LTS forum is NOT negotiable.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

edited to add a third incident of Pete being told to not post in the LTS forum.  ::o
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:56:59 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Billy B

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:48:28 pm »
When I tested + in 1994 I was asked if I had ever visited the SW, now I know why.
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 10:21:17 pm »
Hey Tim,

I get back from a few days in the Colorado Rockies to find you ailing! :(

I know about valley fever as well. We southwesterners have to keep an eye out for it.

Be well soon. I will send some positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 11:28:46 pm »
Daddy Tim,

Geesh, I hope you are feeling much much better.

hugs,
Sharkie

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 09:51:46 am »
Just a quick note to let you all know I've been in communication with Doctor again, and he explained just why he prefers not to treat.  First off, mainly because if you don't treat, it gives your immune system time to build antibodies to the illness.  If you treat, it tends to cut the process short and then exposes you again to the fungi.  Otherwise, the Fluconazole has to be taken in such doses that it tends to give HIV+s far more trouble with the disease than those who are not treated.   Besides, I don't want to loose all my hair.  That would totally and permanently plug up our plumbing, so his suggestion is truly a good one.

He did say that he will be seeing me weekly or bi-weekly to stay on top of my recovery, which will probably be about 4 or 5 weeks. 

My fevers are still coming and going, which leaves my body terribly fatigued.  Last night I Grilled pork ribs, and just closing up the grill and bringing in the ribs exhausted me so much that when I sat back down I was panting like just running a mile.  Oh well, it may not be PCP, but at least I have experience in this long term fatigue, and ongoing fevers.

Isn't HIV just a laugh riot?
Lynn Lavne

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 04:47:18 pm »
For some reason I pictured you as having a shaved head. 
You dont say if your appetite is OK.  The grilled ribs made my mouth water.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 09:26:48 am »
No, not shaved, but a bit bald on the top.  My appetite is fluctuating, but mostly is gone.  I have to use some of Gods' green to get up an appetite to eat, so at least that is working for me.  Today Sweetie is baking me some brownies so I don't have to smoke it.  The lungs are not terribly welcoming to the smoke just now, so eating it will make all the difference, and appetite should really hit about 40 minutes later.  :)  :O
Lynn Lavne

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 12:51:14 pm »
Dearest Tim,

I am so sorry to hear of your illness, but I know that Sweetie will take good care of you. We will talk soon, I promise.

All our love, to you both,

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.