Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:46:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 315
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NY Times Reviews MAMA MIA : THE MOVIE  (Read 13241 times)

Offline bear60

NY Times Reviews MAMA MIA : THE MOVIE
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:48:13 am »
GOD BLESS THE NY TIMES.
It never fails to come up with reviews I can live with. 
""Yea its just a bunch of fluff but who doesnt like a little fliuff in their movie diet?".....Thank you very much.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/07/18/movies/18mamm.html?ex=1217044800&en=2f3d0e50f68487b2&ei=5070&th&emc=th&emc=eta-1
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: NY Times Reviews MAMA MIA : THE MOVIE
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:28:43 pm »
I'm going to see it at 2:30 this afternoon!   Will let you know........

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:13:04 pm »
Alan...
Please do give us your comments.
I saw the stage production here in Philadelphia and actually "LIKE" ABBA. 
I am having a hard time seeing Merryl Streep in a lead musical role.  Does she really sing?  I would have preferred a Madonna or a Bernedette Peters type instead. So, we'll see.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:36:10 pm »
So Mamma Mia is a movie and not a pizza??  We have a movie theater here on the Russian River but they are in one of those old WWII military buildings and it is a noe-movie plex..  Oh shit, the price we pay for living in the Redwoods.  Seriously though, is there a Mamma Mia pizza that is pre made and in the frozen food section of the supermarket?   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:33:28 am »
Ok, so, Kurt ......who is the trivia master around here....says that merryl Streep really wanted to have a career as a singer but never had a singing role until......now.  So I guess she can sing.

Michael....not only is there mamma mia pizza but there is mamma mia pizza beer:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:44:35 am »
Joel -- she most certainly has had a singing role in a movie before.  Come on moviebuffs, which one was it?

Hint:  the lead guy in it had amazing abs, and it has a great diva moment on a staircase:

Suzanne: Do you remember my seventeenth birthday party when you lifted your skirt up in front of all those people?

Doris: I did not lift my skirt, it twirled up! You only remember the bad stuff, don't you? What about the big band I got to play at that party, do you remember that? No, you only remember that my skirt accidentally twirled up!

Suzanne: And you weren't wearing any underwear.

Doris: Well!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:06:05 pm »
Well guys, I thought it was FANTASTIC.   A bit sappy, and kinda silly, but overall VERY cute and lots of fun (good for a change!).

Meryl, at 59, IMHO is a tad old to play this lead, but she handled it fine; a lot of the shots occurred out in the bright sunlight (on a Greek Island) and it's hart to camoflage those lines and wrinkles....on the 'inside' shots, you could tell they were using a lens to filter and make her look a bit "softer". Yes, Joel she does sing, and quite well too!   Pierce Brosnan (56) was actually pretty good in his role, but to use my Dad's phraseology, "If he's a singer, the woods are full of them."    Not much of a voice, but was certainly fine for the role he played.

The daugher Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) was GREAT, had a wonderful voice, and was very cute in the role.

hugs,

Alan "Ebert" bama
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:27:06 pm »
Alan....Glad you liked it! Sappy and a bit over the top is a good thing.

Peter.....now you have me stumped.....I was going to say Rocky Horror but thats not right.  That was Susan Sarandon.
I loved her in Devil Wears Prada but that wasnt a singing role. I checked out her filmography here: http://www.fandango.com/merylstreep/filmography/p+68676
and there are no singing roles listed to my knowledge....so I am at a loss.  Checked again with Kurt and he cant come up with anything.
Ok I'm stumped....or having a senior moment....ha.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »
Joel -- she most certainly has had a singing role in a movie before.  Come on moviebuffs, which one was it?

Hint:  the lead guy in it had amazing abs, and it has a great diva moment on a staircase:

Suzanne: Do you remember my seventeenth birthday party when you lifted your skirt up in front of all those people?

Doris: I did not lift my skirt, it twirled up! You only remember the bad stuff, don't you? What about the big band I got to play at that party, do you remember that? No, you only remember that my skirt accidentally twirled up!

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies,
Postcards from the edge, she sang two songs.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:49:04 pm »
We caught Mamma Mia last night at the Sony/Loews theatre at 68th & Broadway here in NY, and I have to say that it was probably one of the most hysterically funny movies I have ever seen. A.O. Scott (the Times reviewer) needs to lighten up. The movie is high camp, and if the sight of Pierce Brosnan breaking into song doesn't crack you up, send me your address and I''ll mail you a used Whoopie Cushion and one very old vial of Pentamidine. The movie is a total hoot.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:03:38 pm by wishihadacat »
Your name here  X_______________

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 05:03:42 pm »

That was my favorite scene from that movie.

Julie Marsden: You've got to learn to deal with your feelings, Suzanne, before they deal with you.
Suzanne Vale: Do you always talk in bumper stickers?
Julie Marsden: You know, addiction isn't the problem - it's the solution
Suzanne Vale: [talking over Julie Marsden] You do... you DO!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 05:19:53 pm »
Ok, so, Kurt ......who is the trivia master around here....

Can I ask a question about an 80's song?  Late 80's played in the dance clubs at least at Bentleys)  It was a catchy tune that everyone danced to (by the way, Bentleys was a straight dance club at the Sheraton)  anyway, the music stops, the singer goes, "The Clown Needs An Enema." and the song starts back up again.  Does anyone know the song?  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Blixer

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 10:32:53 am »
I saw the movie Saturday afternoon and I totally agree with iwishihadacat.  I loved it.  (Of course, when the critics give a movie a C, I tend to like it, when they give it an A, I'll usually pass).  A little campy, but it had so much to laugh about. It was touching in places and had some very interesting twists.  I thought the way they used "The Winner Takes It All" was very interesting.   I wasn't sure how I would react since I had seen the stage production, but I liked it better than the state production.  Lot's of beautiful photography too, and who can complain about all of those cute bare chested boys?  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:03:13 pm by Blixer »
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 11:32:31 am »
It was a catchy tune that everyone danced to, the music stops, the singer goes, "The Clown Needs An Enema." and the song starts back up again. 

batdance by prince from the first batman movie

the quote from the joker (jack nickloson) says "this town needs an enema"  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 01:38:40 pm »
Meryl did a very creditable job of singing in POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE. And then again more recently the LAKE WOEBEGON Robert Altman movie in which she and Lily Tomlin dueted.

POSTCARDS also has one of my favorite lines. Doctor to Meryl after she's had her stomach pumped: "You addicts are all alike. Instant gratification." Meryl picks up her head and weakly replies, "Instant gratification isn't fast enough."

She had been rumored years back to be likely to do EVITA, but it kept getting delayed and eventually after a long while went to Madonna. Meryl had hopes for a career in opera early on.

End of film nut's report from Sunday in NY.
Andy Velez

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 01:44:38 pm »
Andy , Peter...et al...thanks for the heads up, I had no idea that Meryl sang in "POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE" as I have not seen the movie....and no I never saw "Lake Wobegon" either.  I guess they go on the movie list.

Offline atlq

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 07:50:31 pm »
I saw it last night...It was fun, but I thought it worked better as a stage show....Meryl Streep proves again that she can do anything and Christine Baranski steals the show briefly singing "Does Your Mother Know?" with the boys, but I thought that most of the numbers were not conceived well, with a lot of jumping and arm swinging substituting for choreography-and the less said about the "script" , the better....the songs, of course, were perfect pop.....C+
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline Basquo

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 08:57:23 pm »
I can't believe no one's mentioned the opening of Death Becomes Her, where her Broadway number was incredibly horrible, with a BAD traditional number morphing into a disco review...oh, hell, just watch it for yourself!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3-d2i4PhqlM

Offline atlq

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 09:50:17 pm »
Madeline Ashton: Bottoms up!
[Madeline drinks the potion]
Lisle Von Rhoman: Now, a warning.
Madeline Ashton: NOW a warning?

Basquo....lol....hilarious scene!...
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline northernguy

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 02:40:55 am »
I've got all you bitches topped: I saw ABBA live when they kicked off their only North American tour in Vancouver 8)  Funny, how a band which was on the "uncool" side then has become such a phenomemon, where are all the Foghat and Jethro Tull fans now?

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.  I enjoyed Meryl's singing in Postcards From the Edge, but not as much as Shirley Maclaine's rendition of Sondheim's "I'm Still Here" from the same.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 09:07:33 am »
I've got all you bitches topped: I saw ABBA live when they kicked off their only North American tour in Vancouver 8) 

Please tell me you don't have an ABBA turd in a vial around your neck. ;)

I've always loved ABBA and thought they came up with some great songs. I wish I had been able to see the musical Chess back when it was running.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 11:11:39 am »
Please tell me you don't have an ABBA turd in a vial around your neck. ;)..

You're terrible Muriel ;D
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 04:03:23 pm »
where are all the Foghat and Jethro Tull fans now?

Why, I'm right here. For Tull anyway, always hated Foghat. I really like ABBA too, but will be avoiding the movie like the plague. I saw the theatrical version when it was here, and I must say I was more than a bit underwhelmed. But to be honest, my gay gene is defective in that I don't like musicals. Or fashion, celebrity gossip, or much of anything that the community ingeneral seems to like. Give me anything that involves internal combustion engines and I'm a happy boy....

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:56 pm »
Well, I love Foghat.  I can always rock out to "Honey Hush." 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 05:59:57 pm »
Oh Betty,

Your new avatar has only 179 Days, 5 Hours and 56 Minutes before everyone forgets him  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline letmebeyourhero

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
Meryl Streep had a singing role in the recent "A Prairie Home Companion."  I wouldn't say she is a good singer, but my oh my is she good in this role! It makes you forget that she's not a singer, because her acting is so fantastic!
Hollywood is starting to make more of these musical movies where the lead actors cant sing a lick.  Look at "Sweeney Todd,"  no one could sing in that movie/musical and somehow it worked. 

Anyways, i heard Mama Mia was awful.
A decent guy, named Chris - spanning time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 03:05:43 pm »
Oh Betty,

Your new avatar has only 179 Days, 5 Hours and 56 Minutes before everyone forgets him  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Thank heavens (as long as the right person gets in office).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 10:57:12 am »
Oh Betty,

Michael

I wish that we would be able to forget him so quickly, but I have a feeling that we will be remembering that asshole for a very long time :(
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 03:44:04 pm »
The jokes will write themselves  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Edited to add... at this moment, he has 177 Days, 8 Hours, and 8 Minutes left

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:47:09 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 09:32:04 pm »
I went into the theater just to see Meryl Streep in the farmer overalls she was wearing on the poster. She looked so funny to me because I have always seen her so elegant.  Once the movie began and the ABBA music fever went to my head, I smiled and kept that smile on my face almost througout all the movie. It was so dorky in some moments, but I I had so much fun and could not help singing softly the Abba songs. Talk about a guilty pleasure! :D I will see it again on dvd...
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline bear60

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 03:45:29 pm »
Well......................I saw "POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE" yesterday.  Now honestly I think I may have seen it when it first came out in 1990.  I kind of remember "Debbie" the Mom pouring  VODKA into the morning blender of yogurt and fruit....and I kinda remember Richard Dryfuss asking "Carrie"for a date.
But, since this is obviously a SENIOR MOMENT...it seems like I saw it for the first time....which, when one thinks about it, means that I can go back and see all the movies from that era that I havent seen since and they may be like first timers to me.  Won't that be fun.
As for her singing.....the first song was meant to be kinda pitiful....YOU DONT KNOW ME...a real pity party song.  The second was a western ballad that she belted out with all her might.  So....that was a treat.

Modified to add:  and here is a link to the song she sings at the end of the film...."I'M CHECKING OUT....OF THIS HEARTBREAK HOTEL".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eR9pJaqcg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:06:32 pm by bear60 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.