Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 376
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1 Week  (Read 6988 times)

Offline QueenB

1 Week
« on: August 30, 2017, 09:29:38 pm »
Hi All,

I'm new here, and newly diagnosed as of last Thursday. To give some backstory, my husband and I got tested about 10 months ago and we discovered that he was positive. Before that time, neither of us knew much about the disease at all. So, of course, we panicked initially, like ya do... but as we began to research, we realized it isn't the doom and gloom stigma that the general population (like us) had about it. I was negative, and took another test 3 months later (January) which was also negative. That same week, just a day or so before that test, I began to get sick. Said sickness lasted a solid month. I've never felt worse in my life; I could hardly eat because I had 0 appetite, I lost 20 pounds, and I was in horrible pain and with a constant fever for 3 of the 4 weeks.

I'm sure some of you can already see where I'm going with this... I was so worried this was seroconversion and that I was then infected. Every symptom I had was so strange and everything I read about them (I know, shame shame for Googling, but even my doc was baffled after 2 visits 2 weeks apart) pointed to either HIV, leukemia, or another type of autoimmune disease. Another reason I was nervous was because my WBC was tested and was down to about 3.2. In all of that, I was terrified to get tested again, so I put it off. I put it off until last week, when it came back reactive. And the confirmation indeed proved that I was now positive.

After learning that my husband was positive, my biggest concern on top of his health was our future; having children. Upon researching more, I realized it really wasn't all that difficult or risky, and was relieved... so long as I wasn't positive, it seemed mostly OK. Now, I am back to being so scared of that possibility. I know it's possible, but I also know I would hate myself if something went awry and I gave this to my child(ren). Then again, this is still new, I'm still processing, and I am still awaiting treatment.

Latest: My husband didn't even begin the process to get treatment until the same day I tested reactive (don't ask why; I wish I knew, and I tried to push him to, and even made this appt for him). We went to his appointment first, then to the clinic for me. His results were 637 CD4 and 33,000 VL. Higher VL, but I'm grateful his CD4 is in a good range right now, especially after waiting as long as he did.

I am currently in process of scheduling with his same doctor once my insurance is effective in a couple days. I figured it would make sense for us to see the same doc, and he is entirely ok and glad about that as well.

The day after I was confirmed positive, I was bursting at the seams thinking that I can't tell anybody. But over those 30 or so hours, I thought long and hard about who 1 single person would be that I could confide in... and I did. It was a massive weight off my chest even in that brief period of knowing. The way I cope is to talk things out, voice things verbally and get them out of my head. I told one of my best friends, and she was nothing short of kind, loving and supportive for both me and my husband. I am so grateful for her.

Anyway. I've read through a lot here and it's really helped to see other people going through the same thing and all the support that's given.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: 1 Week
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:50:40 am »
Hi

Sorry to hear your husband have tested positive, and that you had an exposure at some stage and have also tested positive.

By the sounds of it you are still digesting the news and that is normal, have you setup a follow-up appointment to receive your current VL and CD4 counts and also to start treatment ?

Also your husband is in the process of starting treatment, I am unsure what that means, has he been given or started medication?

After learning that my husband was positive, my biggest concern on top of his health was our future; having children. Upon researching more, I realized it really wasn't all that difficult or risky, and was relieved... so long as I wasn't positive, it seemed mostly OK. Now, I am back to being so scared of that possibility. I know it's possible, but I also know I would hate myself if something went awry and I gave this to my child(ren). Then again, this is still new, I'm still processing, and I am still awaiting treatment.

Look there are plenty of HIV positive parents here who have HIV negative children, I'm not sure what you have been reading but with a bit of planning and treatment you can sill have more children in the future if you so wish.

Also unless you are breastfeeding you are no danger to your current children as day to day normal environment or activities is not how HIV is transmitted - ever. People with HIV are simply no danger to people around, unless you are having unprotected intercourse or sharing needles. HIV simply is transmitted in only very limited routes and circumstances, so in short you are not going to infect the kids or anyone else for that matter.

Take it easy and try not to overthink this.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline QueenB

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:35:17 am »
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the support. I have an appointment with a Ryan White foundation location on the 6th, however I SHOULD have a new insurance plan effective as of tomorrow. If all goes accordingly with that, I will cancel the RW appt and just book something ASAP with my husband's ID doctor. We both think it would make sense for us to see the same doc, and we both really like him. However, if it does not, then I still have my appt for the 6th.

My husband got all of his labs done last week and has a follow up scheduled with his doc. I believe at that point he will walk him through his lab results and prescribe his meds? That appt is not until Sept 21 though. He said a couple of the more in depth labs can take 2-3 weeks, so that may be why?

I have read a lot of positive things regarding having children even with Poz parents, so that's definitely a relief. :) Thanks again.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:54:28 am »
I am also sorry to hear of you and your husbands diagnosis.
Your time line was a little confusing but I'm happy to hear your husband is ready to start treatment after 10 months.
Stay focused and get yourself started on meds as well.

Best,

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline QueenB

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:13:18 pm »
Update: Insurance issues have been solved and I have an appointment with my husband's ID doctor on Thursday this week. A bit nervous, and anxious to begin treatment. Thursday also happens to be the same day as my husband's follow up appointment from his initial intake appointment, so hopefully he will be able to prescribe him some medication now that all his test results are in. Hoping I won't have to wait an entire month for treatment as well.

I'll report back end of the week once I know my CD4 and VL.

Offline QueenB

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:32:19 pm »
Got some results back. CD4 of 395 and VL at 26,953. Have a follow up on Oct 10 to get my meds. Hubby started Genvoya a week ago and is doing very well with no side effects thus far. Here's to the beginning of the road to wellness with HIV!

Offline QueenB

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »
UPDATE: Got prescribed Descovy and Tivicay. The combination of the two apparently because my birth control Rx would interact with Genvoya and become a bit less effective. Hopefully not too many side effects with these two. I'll pick up tomorrow and begin them!

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:47:32 pm »

ojo     good luck, you'll see that everything is going to be fine...best of luck for both of you...please keep us posted...hugs                                                    ojo

Offline QueenB

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 07:45:57 pm »
Latest:

Medications are working well for us both. I am UD and hubby is so undetectable his results all say N/A on his VL. Hubby's CD4 went up from 637 to a whopping 1091 so I was happy to see that! I'll get my CD4 next month but was 395 initially. I am hoping it went up a good bit as well! My WBC dropped but I had to get a metabolic panel for something else and it had come back up some, so I was glad for that.

All is well! Thanks for the support.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.