Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:53:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 221
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Me and my big mouth! Update  (Read 23247 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Me and my big mouth! Update
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:48:45 am »
I knew I shouldn't have said it.

I knew the very moment after I had uttered those fateful words I would regret it.

UGH!  :-[

I was visiting with the doctor yesterday, going over the litany of people needing this or that and I was trying to find out when a person now on a trach tube would be able to speak to me.

In the middle of all this, I had a bit of a coughing jag. Not unusual. But, before I could stop myself, those fateful words spilled forth from my lips.

"I have to quit smoking."

EEP!  :o

My doc pounced on those words like a cat on a mouse. He has been after me for four or five years to quit.

Oh lordy, what have my words wrought?  :'(

The next thing I knew, I had a prescription in my hand for Chantix.

http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/drug_information_online.asp?title=Chantix&page=1007652&ad=true

I guess it is a good idea. The COPD issues are getting worse, which isn't a good sign. I am already useing Advair inhalation therapy.

Also, I am approaching the age my father had his first heart attack.

Smoking also lowers a person's HDL cholesterol, which I have had trouble raising to minimal levels.

Smoking probably isn't good for keeping my HIV at bay and probably opens the door for other problems, although I don't know of any direct correlation.

All of these things tell me I should not continue smoking.

But I fear I will miss it, nonetheless.

Worse, the panic is already setting in. Just the thought of being without my smokes causes me to panic.

Those who have never smoked may not understand this. Actually, even smokers may not understand this.

But, it happens.

Maybe this script will help. I hope so.

Patches didn't work. I used to smoke while wearing a 21 mg nicotine patch. Not a good idea, so I'm told.

Some may remember I tried quitting last year. It wasn't pretty. I started eating everything I could get my hands on. People started running the other way when they saw me coming. (I said I tried to eat everything I could get my hands on.)

I also became a compulsive cleaner. I scrubbed until my hands bled.

Now, what have I gotten myself into?

SIGH!  :'(

Mark

(Who now must find a rabid anti-smoker just so he can blow smoke in his/her face before he quits, just to say he did it.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:17:33 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Re: Me and my big mouth!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:04:01 am »
Good luck Mark! Maybe you should move to Aspen, and you and Eric can both have aching jaws from, er, sucking too many lozenges.  ;D Hope it works out this time. And if the going gets tough, aw shucks, you have this space to rant. (Maybe we should have a "Ranting and Raving Thread" specifically for people trying to quit smoking.)

As for me, I'm recently down to 3 to 4 cigarettes a day, a pretty big deal for me.

Another quitter -- hurray!

Jay

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:10:39 am »
Hey Mark

I know how hard it is to quit an addiction. Smoking seems to be one of the hardest things to quit because it is more socially acceptable but those television commercials airing here on every single network channel in New York are pretty blunt and cruel. You are giving up something that you enjoy and has become part of your life but you are also gaining peace of mind that you are doing something good to your body by quitting or even minimizing the amount of cigs you smoke. You can do it Mark!
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:13:48 am »
Well, good luck.  I need to quit too but I've decreased to about 8/day so whatever.

If you're having all of these panic issues why not help yourself to a benzo prescription to calm yourself down?  Just do it for a month and I bet it will help.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:21:13 am »
Hi Mark -

I hope the new prescription helps.  Definately give it a chance.  From what I just read about COPD, it's a very serious matter.  I've had my own fixes over the years and can somewhat relate to what you're saying but I also know that time eventually heals.  Nothing is forever. 

Best wishes on this one!

Jason 

Offline jinghua

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 10:22:55 am »
Mark,

Hahaha.....that's what i said to myself yesterday when i was celebrating my 27th birthday!!! i hope you ca n do it.......and let me know if it works!! ok? been trying to quit for years, but just can't do it right~~~i wish you can with my birthday wish power!!!

jing hua  ;D
Live started to change...i wish i can have a better life...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 10:26:16 am »
::looks up COPD because I'm dumb::

Wow... you had THAT and still smoked?  What a trooper!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 11:10:22 am »
I stopped smoking tobacco on the day of my diagnosis, my doc convinced me and I was ready and willing to follow her advice. Now or never, I told myself, and I'm proud to say that I managed to stay nicotine-free for the last six months. No plasters, no chewing gums, nothing but my free will. The only stuff I smoke now are some pure dutch herbs for relaxing purposes. On an occasional basis, not regularly. Doc says go ahead, no harm will come from that.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:15:40 am »
Mark
You know you have tons of support from me!!! And lots of sympathy...yikes...its not easy.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline racingmind

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 11:33:43 am »
Mark,

I feel your pain.  I am on day 10 of not smoking.  I'm talking a 20 year habit here.  I am on Wellbutrin and will power.  I am not using any nicotine replacement methods.  I bought the lozenges, but never really used them because they taste like shit.   Just take the medication the doctor gave you and continue smoking (try to cut back during this time if you can).  After 2 weeks, stop smoking altogether.  Get yourself ready.  Change the times that you smoke to break habits..Throw away lighters and ashtrays. And then smoke your last cigarette.  Here's the key that worked for me:  Don't make a big deal about smoking that last cigarette. Just smoke it like you smoke any other one.  And then just don't buy any more.   If you are absolutely dying for one, bum one from somebody.  DO NOT BUY A PACK!  This is the best advice I can offer.  The medication will ease the withdraw symptoms.  After 3 days, you are home free from the physical addiction....then it's just the psychological part that you have to deal with.  The urge to smoke will pass!  Just take control.  Don't panic.  If you are ready to do this, you will do it.  If this process takes longer than 2 weeks, so be it.  I was on Wellbutrin for a month before I quit altogether.

I joined a gym....I know I needed the exercise to take better care of myself anyway.  And the thought of lighting up after a workout seems so ridiculous.  So the way I see it...by quitting smoking and starting exercise, I am no longer killing CD4 cells with carbon monoxide and hopefully producing more CD4 cells with the exercise.

I am actually on a mission to see if I can improve my numbers without HAART. 

Plus, if I do end up living a long life, I don't want to spend my final years hauling around an oxygen tank.....

GOOD LUCK MARK....YOU CAN DO IT!!! ;D
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 11:46:18 am »
I am actually on a mission to see if I can improve my numbers without HAART. 

I think this is a good goal; however, don't let yourself get into a trap of dispair if this does not improve the numbers.  Sometimes they are out of our control regardless of the good we do.  I speak from personal experience on this one.  When I realized what I was doing didn't stop the declines I broke down for a bit. 

Offline Christine

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 11:53:15 am »
Sending lots of support your way. It is going to be hard, but you can do it!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Javicho

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:00:40 pm »
GOOD LUCK Mark, you can do it  :-X

J.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 12:04:31 pm »
Mark,

Big mouth is fine, especially for the simple reason that it is going to be a lot better for you eventually.

I say eventually, because having been on both side of the fence, to stop smoking is a very hard thing to achieve.

You can do it my friend, I know because if I was able to do it, so can you.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 01:26:13 pm »
Mark,
He is right; you do need to quit.  For me, it wasn't all that hard.  I smoked over 2 packs per day and randomly picked a day to quit.  For 2-3 weeks prior to that date, I cut out all caffeine and any other stimulants.  The night before I quit, I smoked almost 3 packs in addition to the almost 2 I'd smoked during the day.  It made me physically sick.  The next day, I had a big, strong cup of coffee and thought about a cigarette and just the thought almost made me barf.  I had lots of caffeinated drinks for a couple weeks, thenwent back to drinking my usual amount.  For several months, the thought of a cigarette would make my stomach queasy and I'd quickly think of something else.  It's been over 16 years since I've smoked a cigarette (never cheated or slipped up) and I've never regretted it.  I did start walking a lot in the evenings which seemed to help.  I stayed busy with work, projects, and exercise and didn't allow myself to think about it.

The other thing is to QUIT thinking about quitting.  When I was having those damned Bicillin shots, just thinking about them would almost bring me to tears.  After I just resigned myself to the fact that I had to have 'em, that there was no option, it wasn't nearly as bad.  Also, don't give yourself the option to start back when you quit. 

Good luck and I KNOW you'll succeed, if YOU really want to.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 02:09:12 pm »
The Chantix has made it very easy for me to quit smoking.  I'm not eating more, sleeping less, or anything.  Its effective and very subtle.  You take it for a week and continue to smoke.  During this week, the Chantix builds up in your system.  Day 8 was quit day for me and I'm now starting Week #3 without smoking.  As I said, the Chantix is very subtle - nothing made me quit, other than having the desire to quit.  Although it seems, the Chantix makes it easier by blocking nicotine's effect on your brain.

I can smell tobacco smoke on others now and while it still has a certain intoxicating effect on me, the greater effect is one of "Yuck, did I smell like that?"   The urge hits now and then, but passes quickly, if you distract yourself.  Suddenly, it seems like I have 3 extra hours a day to do something now that I'm not smoking.  Cough is gone, voice is in excellent form.

There is life after smoking!  Good luck to you!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 03:17:38 pm »
Hey Mark

If it helps to hear others' stories I'll add mine. This coming August will be 20 years off of cigarettes. I had smoked 17 years prior to quitting and quit at two packs plus per day cold turkey. Like RacingMind I threw away every accessory related to the habit--ashtrays, lighters, leather cases, etc. Where he and I differ...I had four cigs left and chain-smoked them fast and inhaled hard so each would hurt as much as possible. Within several days went through the withdrawal which I'd experienced a couple times before, gained 23 lbs (had gained 30 previously) which I eventually lost just by walking and being re-energized. During the initial weeks, if I experienced an urge, I took a deep breath as I was told by others the urge passes within a short period of time. Knowing I would gain weight---I looked at it as two problems 1. quit smoking 2. lose weight. In subsequent years, both smoking siblings also quit multi-pack per day habits. We are all grateful to have conquered this addiction. My father's death was hastened by emphysema and he'd smoked a number of years of his life on and off.

Like many things, much of this is played out in the mind. You are quite capable of doing this and the freedom is incredible. Food tastes better. You smell better. The world smells better. After a while, the hacking up in the morning will cease and you will find that over time, you'll be hanging out with non-smokers. It is a natural migration someone had alerted me to and by golly, it's true! From another angle, I found cold turkey was simpler for me to handle than coordinating patches, lozenges, etc. and less expensive, too.

You'll be so glad you dumped this habit and start thinking of how you can fund your trip to AMG with all the dough you'll save and savory goodies long after that!

Em

I

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 03:19:42 pm »
Good Luck. Quitting smoking was very difficult for me. I am sure I quit 50 times, the last being for almost ten years. The three years prior to quitting I would only buy one pack a day at lunch time, and smoke one or two and throw the rest away. I got up every morning for years telling myself they would kill me cause they have killed every person over 50 in my family who smoked. The best time to quit is when you are sick,which seemed to be alot when I smoked. I must of had 100 ties with cigarrete holes in them. I would have smoking dreams the first 5 years I quit,waking up in a cold sweat knowing I had smoked only to find out it was a dream. You have to convince yourself they are killing you and that you are just committing a slow suicide. Thats what I did to quit.
How can weed be illegal and this shit be legal?

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 03:31:32 pm »
Mark,
  The smoking addiction is an amazingly powerful thing.  Just reading this thread makes me want to smoke one, and I quit years ago.  Anyway, good luck buddy - and if you ever need a non-smoker to blow smoke at I'll volunteer if it helps !
Ernie

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 03:53:28 pm »
Hey Mark,

We like you.

We care about you.

It's good that you're giving up smoking.

That's hard to do.

You can do hard things. Not all of them are bad to do. You know that.

So stick with it.

Rock on, buddy!

Andy Velez

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 03:54:26 pm »
Good luck Mark!   I pray that you can find the strength to quit, and stay that way!

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bluelove

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 06:24:29 pm »
Mark

Know how you feel two weeks smoke free for me.It is not easy but you can do it.Drinks lots of water that seems to be helping me and like Eric finding something to suck on helps.

Maybe we should start a quit smoking group here.

Blue

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »
January does seem to be the month, doesn't it.  Sore jaws.  Sucking.  Big mouth.  Like something drifting over from the I love p. thread :)

I wish you much success on this project, Mark, whether it's a direct flight or has some detours on route.  I can only feel for you and the others imagining if I were asked to stop drinking coffee. 

I would second, third or fourth having at least a thread here in which everyone working on quitting smoking can jointly post updates and offer each other support, as only people going through the process can (hence the living with hiv forum, right?).  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline virgo71

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 08:16:32 pm »
It's been a little over a year since I quit and the only reason I quit was that I had to have my tonsils out and I never started again. If this is at all encouraging once I got over the "hump" I stop missing it. I smoked for about 15 years (I started VERY VERY young ;)) so I know what you are going through. Just stick with it and soon you are going to realize that it's easier then you thought.

Good Luck!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 08:41:37 pm »
Hello Mark,

As a former smoker, I know how difficult, giving up the cigs will be. I have got all the confidence in you, that you will succeed.

http://www.healthgoods.com/education/Health_Information/How_To_Quit_Smoking/after_you_quit.htm

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact11.html

Time since quitting
 Beneficial health changes that take place :

20 minutes
 Blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.

8 hours
 Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half, oxygen levels return to normal.

24 hours
 Carbon monoxide will be eliminated from the body.
Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.

48 hours
 There is no nicotine left in the body.
Ability to taste and smell is greatly improved.

72 hours
 Breathing becomes easier.
Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.

2 - 12 weeks
 Circulation improves.

3 - 9 months
 Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function is increased by up to 10%.

1 year 
 Risk of a heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker.

10 years
 Risk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker.

15 years
 Risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked

Good luck- you can do it !!---------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 10:00:25 pm »

Mark,

I am pulling for you and please keep us updated on how you are doing.  I think one thing you might want to do is every time you have an urge pull up this thread and look at the info Ray above me has posted.  Ray, thanks by the way.   I know my time is coming.  It has been on my mind more and more.  I saw something while at the clinic today about second hand smoke and I don't want to put my kids through this.  They have become innocent victims to my nasty habit.

Like I said, please keep us updated on your progress.  I am interested to know how the prescription aids you in quitting, because it maybe something I have to look into also.   I quit for a year and a half about 4 years ago and instead of gum and candy would keep a toothpick in my mouth.  It helps with that oral fixation us smokers have.  I wish you the best of luck.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 11:18:43 pm »
Hi Mark,

I am glad you opened your mouth to your doctor.  I support you not putting any cigarettes in there as well.

Wishin' u the best,
Drew

Offline Longislander

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 11:34:14 pm »
Hey Mark, I wish you the best~

I've been taking Chantix for just over a month, I guess. I passed my quit date.  But as time goes by I can really see the effect the drug has on my physical desire to smoke.  I'm no longer enjoying the hell out of the cigarette.  Many times I think about lighting one, I find myself saying, nah, don't feel like it.  There is no physical craving at this point, pure habit.  I had 7 cigarettes one day last week, and a day earlier this week, I had 3.  All depends on what I'm doing during that day, and whether I forgot to take the evening dose :-[.  I know I'll be done soon enough.

Good luck!!

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline joemutt

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 11:52:40 pm »
Hi Mark, I knew about your big smile but now you got me confused with your big mouth !
Oh, stopping smoking, blimey! Good Luck, I kicked it 4 years ago after a lot of trying, so it's possible
although v. difficult. But I feel ,well ,fresher and more oxygenised.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 01:22:27 am »
Mark, You can do this if you want it really bad. If you do not have the will to quit, all the scripts in the world will do you little good.

I quit smoking last May. Because I was ready to, pure and simple. I had an AM smoke outside in my patio, got dizzy and barley made it to the couch in the living room. That was it for me. I thought how stupid it would look if I died of Lung cancer after having survived HIV for 23 years!

The will to quit, along with a few bottles of Commit Lo-zingers did the trick.   I know you Can do it. The only question is....ARE YOU READY?

Good luck my dear friend.

I'm pulling for you in a big way.

Love,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline aztecan

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 07:26:59 am »
Thanks all of you for the encouragement. I have been wanting to quit for some time and have thought about it a great deal.

My doc said he has four or five people on it and all are doing pretty well with the Chantix.

I also spoke with my pharmacist about it. He said he was simply amazed at the results people have had with it.

Boy am I glad I switched from mail order to my local pharmacy. It is hard to have a discussion like this with an automated telephone system.

Today I pick up the starter box of Chantix. It isn't cheap and, naturally, my insurance doesn't cover it, but if it works, it will be worth it.

If it can keep me from becoming manic when I finally stop and avoid doing things like drop-kicking small children and running over soccer moms who get in the way, I will be happy.

And, I think I can lick it.

Again, thank you all for the support.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Nadine

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 07:32:08 am »
Good luck to you Mark!

I know a couple of people who had great success with Chantix

Keep us posted

(((hugs)))

Offline fearless

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2007, 08:12:46 am »
Mark,

I have a question, is Chantix teh same as Zyban?
I've used it twice, and it does eliminate the desire to smoke. It just kicks in one day. The habit, and my lack of self respect, though got me both times. Constantly remind yourself, you are not giving anything up, you are starting a life free of the dirty weed. You never needed them before you smoked, and you will not need them again. Use as much positive reinforcement and support as you need to make you truly believe that this is a gain, not a loss. Gain back control of your life, your health and your money. Try to make it a positive life event.

Am proud of you for giving it a try. Freedom awaits.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 08:14:18 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Robert

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 12:42:05 pm »
This will be the 3rd time I've tried to post in this topic, Mark.  Let's see if it takes.

I agree with Steve.  You have to be in control.  All of those chemically enhanced pacifers won't do much if you don't really want to do it yourself.

I quit last June.  I got through the summer.  I got through Montreal.  I got through the holidays.  Now I'll get through the winter. 

You can do it.  Just take it one day at a time.

robert

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 07:14:05 pm »

I have a question, is Chantix teh same as Zyban?

New drug!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 09:18:38 pm »
I'm wishing you all the luck in the world, Mark. I want to quit smoking but when I try not to smoke, I go raid the fridge. I don't want to quit but then gain like 30 pounds. I'm going to have to talk to my doc about this Chantix but am not sure if my insurance will cover it. But then I'm switching insurance next week too. Keep us posted on how it's working for you.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 10:54:04 pm »
Most health insurance doesn't cover Chantix - surprisingly, Chantix costs about $125.00 per month.  About the same price as a daily pack of cigarettes.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2007, 11:00:12 pm »
Thanks again all of you. You're great!

Steve, I don't know the chemical make-up of Zyban, but from what I understand, this is a bit different.

It blocks or incapacitates the nicotine receptors in the brain. The way it is supposed to work, it reduces or removes the cravings caused by the nicotine addiction.

Is that how Zyban works?

I start tomorrow. You start with on 1/2 mlligram tablet in the morning for three days, then, on the fourth day, you take a half-milligram in the morning and another in the evening. You do this for a week, while still smoking.
At the end of a week, you are supposed to start on a full milligram in the morning and another in the evening, oh, and give up the ciggies.

Akasha, I'll let you know how it goes. I am cautiously hopeful. It is costly though. A month's supply cost me $118 today.

But, like I said, if it works, it will be worth it.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 01:53:12 am »
Mark,

GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!

I'm still struggling with this.  Sigh...I've come so close.

Brian (who's going to step out for a smoke, with shame)

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 03:43:04 am »
My doctor brow beats me too....and YES I smoke.
so throw the damn things and get it over with... :P

Good luck Mark.....You're a better man than I :o
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline carousel

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2007, 07:19:51 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:41:24 am by carousel »

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 09:20:27 am »
You could simply move here to Arizona. They're really starting to tax the hell out of cigs and if cost isn't a strong incentive, I dunno what is?  ???

Seriously though, I can empathize with you. I knew it was coming for me as well and so as I am writing this I am actually staying here at a friends house for the next week as she has asked me to watch over her house and her diabetic cat for her while she is back East visiting her sister. I chose to stop the cigs slowly (tapered off the last couple of weeks anyway), and completely quit two days ago. So far, the urge has been mild enough and I seem to be doing ok!

Good riddance to them and good luck to us all I say! We can do it. If not this time, try another time as I find it insulting to believe that the tobacco industry could get the best of me with their lies.

Btw, here's a sobering thought..., Be glad when you opened your big mouth, your doctor didn't say it was full of cancer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 09:26:13 am by marc11864 »
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2007, 09:39:21 am »
Mark, best of luck buddy.

Just wanted to add... I was shocked as hell when I went to pick up my Chantix, and found that my insurance covered it with a $30 co-pay!!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2007, 07:49:48 pm »
Hello Mark,

Now if you had "brain damage" it may be easier to quit...Got to read this :

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/01/25/smoking.braindamage.ap/index.html

Maybe that is why it was relatively easy for me to quit... I've got "brain damage"    :P

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline marc11864

Checkpoint
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 09:19:39 am »
How is everyone doing with their quit from smoking?

So far so good here. I only had minor pangs for one the whole weekend. It's been four days and now I am off to my next milestone which is the "two-week" checkpoint.

Marc

Offline aztecan

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 10:01:17 am »
I started the Chantix Saturday, so I haven't officially packed off yet.

But I will. I feel strongly about this.

Besides, I want to be smoke-free for my 50th birthday. It isn't for a while yet, but I'm planning ahead.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline marc11864

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 10:41:39 am »
 Good for you on that Mark. For financial reasons I am doing the "white-knuckle/cold turkey" thing yet again. For some people I know this has worked and for others they have done better with chemical support in the form of the patch or gum. I just reached the conclusion that I am going to be here for 50 (that's also a while yet) so I decided I was over hacking up loogies every morning and having crappy breath that no amount of mouthwash/toothbrusing would mask. Not to mention the cost here in AZ now!

On a side note, does anyone else see the humor in AIDSMeds spell checker in the attached image? How could  does Vietcong be cross-referenced as "white-knuckle"?  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline racingmind

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 12:13:02 pm »
Doing good here....no slip ups!   I'm approaching the 2 week marker.  I have to say that I'm kinda proud of myself.    Good luck to everyone out there who as recently rose to the challenge...

Go buy yourself something frivolous with the money you normally would have spent on cigarettes!

;D
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline aztecan

Re: Me and my big mouth! Update
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2007, 10:23:05 am »
Well, its been 10 days since I started taking Chantix.

I've done pretty well. The cravings are not nearly so pronounced as they have been in earlier attempts.

The way Chantix works is quite subtle. You just don't get the cravings as often or as forcefully. So far, its working.

Interestingly, I think it also blocks the satisfaction of smoking. Even before graduating up to the full dose, I noticed I didn't get the feeling of relief or satisfaction when I had a ciggie.

It was like, "So why bother smoking with I don't feel any different from it?"

I have been eating a bit more, but nothing like the last time.

Anyway, just an update.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Me and my big mouth! Update
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2007, 11:18:34 am »

I was looking forward to the update Mark...  Thanks!

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.