Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:23:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 479
Total: 480

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ten Years  (Read 5858 times)

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
Ten Years
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:24:35 am »
I just realized that I found out my serostatus ten years ago today.  I was probably already poz for a couple years prior to that, but as we all know, there's no real way to tell.

At the time I was convinced I would never live to see this day.  And then I went through several years of depression self destruction.  Then I re-discovered my bicycle.  Seriously...  when I was in college I raced bicycles.  I started riding again... then training... then racing.    I found the key for me.   Anyway, I won't bore everyone with the delerious tedium of yet another self actualized homo... but... geez it's been ten years.  I think I'll get another tattoo.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Ten Years
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 10:31:46 am »
Hey!  Happy...er,  happy anniversary ?  What should one say to mark such an occassion?

I know!  Congrats on surviving and thriving, finding the bike and peddling your way into being another self-actuallized homo!

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 10:33:49 am »

Congratulations!  It's great to hear testimony like yours.  It gives me strength.  I'll be coming up on my 1 year anniversary in 1 month  :)
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline terpie82

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 10:35:23 am »
Ahh, the reminiscing brings me back. Look at how far you've come in the last 10 years. Still look good, healthy, and living life the way we're supposed to live them, poz/neg. And 10 years from now, you'll be looking at your formerly "new" tattoo that commemorated your 10 year anniversary, and would post on here again telling us that you're gonna get another one to commemorate the new 10 years. And before you know it, when you've reached 90+ years, you'll have all these tattoos that tell a story of what you did at that time and remind you of how far you have come along.
Cheers,
Terpie
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 10:54:48 am »
Jordan, Thanks so much.   

By the time I hit my one-year... I was a wreck.  I didn't exactly decide to deal with things in the most constructive way.   It took me at least three years before I dug myself out of my hole of self pity.   But, I am glad you are looking for places to find strength.  Keep it up.  :)

Tim.... thanks... now if I can just figure out what self-actualization really means.....

Terpie...   there's a space under my right arm still for a new tattoo  heh    Thanks for your kind words. 

It's going to be a weird day.  I think I will find something interesting to do.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:58:25 am by dtwpuck »
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 11:12:57 am »
Happy anniversary.  I think for 10 years service you join the ranks of the VIP section.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:17:18 am »
Way to go Dtwpuck!

Your Superman!
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Blixer

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 04:23:51 pm »
Happy Anniversary Dtwpuck!  I smiled at your discussion of finding your bicycle again.  I found mine about 4 years ago (prior to my diagnosis) but it was one of the best things to happen to me.  Maybe it is going back to something earlier in life or maybe it is just finding a renewed interest in something you enjoyed.  But thanks for sharing your testimony with us.  It helped make my day just reading it.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Javicho

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 04:31:16 pm »
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! I'm sure you will find someting to do today keep it up :-*

P.S. I dont know how to ride a bicycle :-[

J.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 04:36:27 pm »
Happy Anniversary Dtwpuck!  I smiled at your discussion of finding your bicycle again.  I found mine about 4 years ago (prior to my diagnosis) but it was one of the best things to happen to me.  Maybe it is going back to something earlier in life or maybe it is just finding a renewed interest in something you enjoyed.  But thanks for sharing your testimony with us.  It helped make my day just reading it.

Cool... thanks blixer.  You know, I am totally obsessed with bicycles.  I have seven. 

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 04:40:19 pm »
Self-actualization is something that people who write self-help books try to convince us exists.

But congratulations on doing so well!  That's awesome!
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 04:44:02 pm »
Glad you got through all of it to be here with us ten years later and great that you have brought up a reality which is also a metaphor: what is 'your' bicycle?'  What is it that either takes you back to a safe place so you can rejoin the world, or allows you to (ok, pun) mount your obstacles and (second pun) ride away?  It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it works for you.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline koi1

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 04:46:45 pm »
Ten years is a milestone. Congratulations. I view  the day of my positive test as new birthday. I love biking as well. Did a month of biking through the south of France, it is a great sport.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 04:46:53 pm »
Congrats and happy self actualization - and I share the bike love - I need a new road bike this year - the shopping has to start soon - if you have any suggestions...
I love long rides in the country  no particular rush or direction, just a big loop from home and back - relaxes my mind and body

Offline Blixer

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 08:08:44 pm »
dtwpuck--Seven bicycles!!  Wow...  I'm assuming they all have some speciality or is it that you just like to collect bicycles.  I had an older one that I bought at Sears several years ago.  When I got a good bike I could not believe the difference.  It makes the experience so much more enjoyable to ride on a good bike.  We have something called the "Moonlight Ramble" here in St. Louis.  It is a fundraiser for Youth Hosteling here.  10,000 riders in late August of each year.  A 10 mile and a 20 mile route thought the streets of St. Louis starting at midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning. A very nice ride.  I did it this year, after my diagnosis and starting meds, just to prove to myself I could do it.  And I made it and I stayed near the front of the pack.  Although going up that last big hill in Forest Park near near the end of 20 miles was pretty much a challenge.  I decided that I was going to make it to the top under my own power or pass out or die in the process.  And I did... riding past many younger folks pushing their bikes up that hill.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline marco23

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »
Here's to another ten more years babe!...Cheers!
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 04:31:12 am »
I'm assuming they all have some speciality or is it that you just like to collect bicycles. 

Kind of both... I have three racing bikes... and four mountain bikes.  All of them different.  :-)  and shiny. 

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 05:42:06 am »
It is always a rejuvenating feeling that I get upon reading stories like yours, Dtwpuck!  Congratulations for the 10th year anniversary!
And since I am living in the country where ""le vélo est roi"",  or  the country where we call bicycles ""la petite reine"",  I couldn't help replying accordingly! 

You see, I've been biking for so many years now that I can't call to mind when it was  that I bought the bike I have right now.  It is a "tricolour" type of boneshaker with the colours of France.  And whenever I travel around the country, I always pack my ten-speed first!  And I say that there is no way to explain to someone who doesn't bike,  the feeling you get when  travelling kilometers and kilometers of narrowing roads in the French countryside, of beautifully manicured villages, monasteries, châteaux and the like...! 

There are two things that I really appreciate on my everyday routine:  "Swimming and biking."
After swimming, and when I really feel good at the pool and can go for three kilometers of crawl laps, I swear I wouldn't refuse this:

The Bicycle Lift!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1PgmMbug8&eurl=

You can call the Norwegian "lazy bumbs", but sometimes we all know that lift would be more than welcome...! ;D

Val
___
___
P.S. By the way, we do have those in France as well!  Lazy frogs? ::)

Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 06:36:51 am »
Javicho, just come here and I'll teach you to ride a bike. Then we can ride around town and get a ticket for peddling pussy.  ;)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 08:16:04 am »

LOL@Rodney...

Puck,

Congrats on making the changes in your life that have given you the frame of mind you now posses on your ten year milestone. 

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 12:32:27 pm »
Val... there's a bicycle lift like that in Luxembourg... I stood there wondering how the heck it worked until I saw someone use it.  Heh  I had forgotten about that.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.