Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:35:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 461
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ' Raccoon Hunting'  (Read 8812 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
' Raccoon Hunting'
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:01:03 am »
In case you didn't get the news, 3 years ago, Katie rolled into the living room and she was sitting kind of lopsided in her wheelchair. Her legs were red and swollen and she was 'confused'

The long and short of it is she had cellulitis and septima? (blood infection) and went to the hospital for a month whereupon Medicaid announced that they would no longer pay for the hospital stay so she wound up in a Nursing Home for rehabilitation.

Thanks to my 3 year ordeal obtaining SSDI/Medicare, I was able to get her on Medicare and Medicaid as she is a disabled widow.....another story.

Mom and I visit her every night @ dinnertime to make sure she sits up on the edge of the bed to eat and brushes her teeth. ...the rehabilitation touted in the advert for said Nursing Home was 'sketchy'....to say the least....another story.

3 weeks ago, I was pulling in the driveway and I saw a critter, crawling up the fence on my neighbors porch. Ms E has about 8 bowls of cat food and water and bird feeders in all the trees and these little 'stands' for the squirrels and now has attracted raccoons.

I was getting ready to leave the house to visit Katie and I heard a scratching in the ceiling in the hall. The other side of the wall is in Katie's closet where a pipe runs from the basement venting the the ac/heating to the roof. I hit the smoke alarm test button to scare it off and thought I had succeeded.

The next day it sounded like a heavy trash bag was being dragged across the attic floor. I hit the smoke alarm again. I looked in Katie's closet and I could see daylight where the coon had scratched the insulation from around the pipe and the sun from the gable was shining through. ..just great.

I called critter control to get an estimate and was dismayed to hear that they had a flat fee of $500 big ones and if it had babies, could go to $650.

I called mom who thought that the price was a little steep. I called animal control and they would furnish a cage and when caught I could call and they would come pick it up.

I don't hunt, or fish, and though I am a native Texan, do not own a gun. The only critter I have ever killed was mice, and that was with the poison trays. They eat it and go find water and then.....die.

The bad news was that there must have been an explosion of coons as they had no available cages, but would put me on a list.

Mom went to her 'magic' shed and after scrounging around came up with a cage they used to use out on the ranch.

I sat in my living room for 4 days, with mom asking me every night..."catch any raccoons?"

"No"

I couldn't bring myself to set the trap. ...until....1130pm and I was watching Hallmark channel Christmas movies and on my second box of tissues and....

BAMM..came from the garage. I cautiously approached the door, turned on the light and opened the door slowly and there was a bookcase beside the door from Katie's room from the remodel..another very long story..

The bookcase was toppled over. the attic open into the garage like a loft. The coon had discovered the garage and apparently had climbed down on top of the bookcase, which made it top heavy thus toppling it over.

Now I was motivated to set the trap. I half opened a can of tuna and set the trap in the garage against the wheelchair ramp with a cinder block on top of it.

I also read up on coons and one site stated that they do not like human voices and to put a radio on a talk show on loud and it might drive them away.

So I have a radio on a sports talk show, real loud, and I have not heard any sounds coming from the attic.

It has now been two weeks and..no coon.

"Did you catch any coons yet?"

"No"..and what a waste of tuna."

Of course, I still have to check the trap every 24 hours, cause it's some kind of hunting law.

...and dang if I wasn't going out to check the mail 3 days ago and a guy was walking down the street. He appeared to have very bushy grayish hair, and I couldn't help but stare when as he got closer, I realized he had on a coon skin hat...

I ran to the garage to check the trap wondering if he had caught my coon and was now wearing it.

I guess I am going to have to climb up into the attic one day and check if there are any critters there or if they left.

I haven't done so because I am on two water pills, Lasix and Hydrochlorizide, and blood pressure Atenolol  and am afraid I just might come back down the hard way or misstep and come through the ceiling...more of the 'other story' mentioned above...

As of today...still no coon.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:07:24 pm by Jeff G »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: ' Raccoon Hunting'
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:17:36 am »
Those critters can do extensive damage really quickly . My neighborhood in San Diego became over run by skunks , most likely drawn there by a neighbor who fed stray cats .

The skunks dug up every dang plant in my yard so we had them removed , I think it was about 60 + of them that were disposed of in the end .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:07:56 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline rondrond

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:39 am »
Those critters can do extensive damage really quickly ....... most likely drawn there by a neighbor who fed stray cats . ...

The crux of my problem.

Ms E's husband died of cancer and I do her yardwork. If I didn't, it would over grow and it comes my way. (especially the vines)

She has two chinese pugs and you would think that would be enough, but no, she has to feed every stray in the neighborhood.

Of course, after they eat their fill, they have to poop it out somewhere, and guess whose yard, hedges and flower beds they just seem to love?

Give up? I'll tell you, it's mine. I have spent all summer trying to keep 8 cats from tearing up my yard and filling it with poop.

I used to have a cat. It used a litter box. I have nothing against them, but their use of my yard as a litter box. I have placed twigs and sticks in the ground, I have used cat repellent, and I run out clapping my hands and hissing.....all to no avail.

Animal control will not deal with them, except to say that I can come get a cage and trap them and when caught, call them and then they will come get them....yada yada yada

And now they are yowling their love songs and soon, there will be more. It's a nightmare.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:08:22 pm by Jeff G »

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:46:46 am »
I did have a really cool Atripla induced dream when I was dealing with all the skunks . I had a dream that I had to make things out of skunk hides . I dreamed that I made skunk wigs for drag queens and the most awesome skunk fur bedspread you ever saw . 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:08:46 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:18 pm »
I was always taught that one should not employ the word "coon". Is it possible to employ the full word in the thread title as this should be as offensive as using the n-word regardless of intent.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:09:17 pm by Jeff G »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:13:23 pm »
ditto  coon
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:09:43 pm by Jeff G »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline rondrond

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:39:02 pm »
I was always taught that one should not employ the word "coon". Is it possible to employ the full word in the thread title as this should be as offensive as using the n-word regardless of intent.

Thanks.

After consulting Google I now understand what you mean. I was always taught that it was short for raccoon, or the hat made from their skins.

I defer to the mods as the window for modifying seems to have expired.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:10:15 pm by Jeff G »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 03:40:58 pm »
I did have a really cool Atripla induced dream when I was dealing with all the skunks . I had a dream that I had to make things out of skunk hides . I dreamed that I made skunk wigs for drag queens and the most awesome skunk fur bedspread you ever saw .

I never knew you were related to Cruella DeVil....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:10:40 pm by Jeff G »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: 'Raccoon Hunting'
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:06:27 pm »

I never knew you were related to Cruella DeVil....

It was a Cruella dream , didn't realize that until now ... I will edit the titile of the thread but all of your post will show an edit . Its the only way I know how to change it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »
Mom thought she had a racoon up in her attic once, so i brought over the trap and baited it with catfood. Next morning sure enough I had a HUGE rcoon, took him to the creek about 15 miles away and set him loose. Anyways, couple days later she heard another one up in the attic..trapped him too and released him in same spot as first one. I want you to know I trapped 8 racoons in total that week..all from moms attic. LOL.

I feel sorry for the homeowners about a hundred yards from where I let them all loose. :P

-edited to change to "racoon"

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:20:42 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:21:36 pm »
The best Racoon hunting stories ever told was by Jerry Clower :)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline rondrond

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 09:11:56 pm »
The best Racoon hunting stories ever told was by Jerry Clower :)

That was good, thanks for the laugh.

Catfood? You mean they don't like tuna? I've been sitting here in a Fool's Paradise.  Canned or dry?

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:28:16 am »

Catfood? You mean they don't like tuna? I've been sitting here in a Fool's Paradise.  Canned or dry?

I used a combo of wet with dry in it.

ps- fools paradise is a great place to be  ;)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 09:34:04 am »
Dry cat food, and turn the radio off so they go to the kitty food. 

You can borrow my dog, he does a good killing on groundhogs so a raccoon is no problem.  ;D

Next you will have squirrels :D

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline rondrond

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:30 am »
I used a combo of wet with dry in it.

ps- fools paradise is a great place to be  ;)

hmmm. ..I wonder if I should go 'borrow' some cat food from Ms E.

Instead of a cup of sugar I could ask for a cup of cat food.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 11:32:21 am »
Dry cat food, and turn the radio off so they go to the kitty food. 

You can borrow my dog, he does a good killing on groundhogs so a raccoon is no problem.  ;D

Next you will have squirrels :D

Michelle 8)

What kind of dog do you have? I used to have a Golden Retriever/Irish Setter who kept everything and everybody out of her territory.

We don't have many squirrels anymore as Oncor came through 2 years ago and cut all the trees within 10 feet of the power lines. Talk about going from paradise to a barren desert. The trees are starting to grow back, but the squirrels had no place to live for the interim and disappeared.

The pecan trees have not produced very well this year either. Mom noticed it first, as she has this gi-normous pecan tree and  will collect and shell and put in decorative tins or jars and give away carloads to family and for her activities at church.

I still have two pecan trees in the back, but this summer the pecan tree in the front yard withered and died. I was not happy with the pecan tree situation as I water and fertilize while Ms E has a young pecan tree growing out of broken concrete at the end of her driveway which is fertile, lush and green, though she never waters.

It behooves me. It also is growing under the power lines that come from the street to my house, so I am continually hacking cutting artfully trimming it, but it will not die.

I considered cutting my dead tree down myself, but one day while mowing the back, I came up front to get the gas can and a man was leaning on the fence. He volunteered to cut it down to the ground so that the stump would be below ground level for a very reasonable price, so I let him,much to moms relief...

"What? I can handle a saw"

"right"

He even picked up every twig and stick and stacked it very neatly at the curb.

It did not stay long as a neighbor stopped, looked, and "is that pecan?"

"yup"

"can I have it?"

""yup"

He took a good portion of it which was good for my grass as every time you stack at the curb it kills the grass under it as bulk pickup is only once a month.

As for moms tree, I picked her up to go to my sister Terry's for Thanksgiving and she had a very good stack of containers full of pecans.

"I thought you didn't have any pecans?"

"Well, I usually have twice that amount. I might not have enough for stollen and pumpkin rolls this year."

Oo..."errr, I vote on you baking and I'll suffer from not having any shelled pecans."

"We'll see"

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 03:58:05 pm »
Dry cat food or dog food will do the trick just make sure you have no other food for them to get into. I want to know what you are going to do with it once in the trap? I know what we do with them. You haven't seen anything till you have one in a trap. If there are cubs, just put on leather gloves and grab them by the tail, take your other gloved hand and grab them by the scruff of the nick. They'll hiss and scream but will settle down as soon as you have them by the neck. They can give nasty bites and scratch the hell out of you so be careful.

PS. "The right term is Coon and it's not derogatory." The dogs used to hunt coons are Coonhounds or Coon Dogs, not Raccoon Hounds.  I let a friend of mine that is black that hunts with me read this thread and he got a kick out reading it. He laughed and said only a city slicker would say that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:16:22 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:40:06 pm »

PS. "The right term is Coon and it's not derogatory." The dogs used to hunt coons are Coonhounds or Coon Dogs, not Raccoon Hounds.  I let a friend of mine that is black that hunts with me read this thread and he got a kick out reading it. He laughed and said only a city slicker would say that.

http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/caricature/

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:53:55 pm »
http://www.akc.org/breeds/black_tan_coonhound/index.cfm
AKC Meet the Breeds®
One of the few All-American breeds, the Black and Tan Coonhound is a persistent, determined, honest hunter who will stay on track no matter the terrain or conditions. His name developed from his color and purpose - his coat is coal black with tan markings, and he is used to trail and tree raccoon.

https://www.akc.org/breeds/redbone_coonhound/index.cfm
AKC Meet the Breeds®
Known for its flashy red coat, the Redbone Coonhound is a versatile worker and possesses the ability to hunt and swim over a variety of terrain while still maintaining its speed and agility. Redbones possess a natural treeing instinct and will track game ranging from raccoons to cougars. An adaptable hunter with a good, cold nose, the breed is an excellent choice for the hunter who wants an honest, versatile and capable trailer.

https://www.akc.org/breeds/bluetick_coonhound/index.cfm
AKC Meet the Breeds®
Like many coonhounds, the Bluetick Coonhound gets its name from a coat pattern, which is dark blue in color and covered in a ticking or mottled pattern. Working ability is very important to owners who prize the sturdy and athletic Bluetick for its skill in trailing and treeing raccoons and other small animals. Blueticks are known for having the typical coonhound "bawling" bark. This steady and determined breed can stay on the most intricate of tracks, making it a prized companion for active sporting families.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 05:02:37 pm »
So then use the word "coonhound" in the thread title. This really doesn't need to be so complicated, Rod.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 05:07:51 pm »
So then use the word "coonhound" in the thread title. This really doesn't need to be so complicated, Rod.
Then I would suggest you not make something out of it, when the word coon was not used derogatory manner. It's really that simple.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 05:08:02 pm »
The words he

Really ? must we have this conversation . The op used a word that is used everyday and race has nothing to do with . People go coon hunting so get over it .

I will not let this thread become something its not so fair warning .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline rondrond

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 04:24:47 am »
Dry cat food or dog food will do the trick just make sure you have no other food for them to get into. I want to know what you are going to do with it once in the trap? I know what we do with them. You haven't seen anything till you have one in a trap. If there are cubs, just put on leather gloves and grab them by the tail, take your other gloved hand and grab them by the scruff of the nick. They'll hiss and scream but will settle down as soon as you have them by the neck. They can give nasty bites and scratch the hell out of you so be careful. .....

Mom states that after capture we call Animal Control and they will come out and pick it up.

I have several nephews who have other ideas involving a rain barrel or the river.

Mom and JW have captured several at the ranch and tells me that they are smart and viscious and can reach through the cage and grab things.

This particular critter was getting in the grain for the horses and peeing in it rendering it useless for feed.

It took both her and JW with a pole slid through the top to carry it to the truck. He drove at least 15 miles away and they released it, though he stated that if it had babies it would definitely find it's way back.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 05:03:22 am »
Mom states that after capture we call Animal Control and they will come out and pick it up.

I have several nephews who have other ideas involving a rain barrel or the river.

Mom and JW have captured several at the ranch and tells me that they are smart and viscious and can reach through the cage and grab things.

This particular critter was getting in the grain for the horses and peeing in it rendering it useless for feed.

It took both her and JW with a pole slid through the top to carry it to the truck. He drove at least 15 miles away and they released it, though he stated that if it had babies it would definitely find it's way back.
  That would be best. LOL

Offline rondrond

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 05:11:24 am »
  That would be best. LOL

It was why the trap sat in the living room for 4 days as I kept going over and over in my mind....what if I actually capture the thing?

It's why I called Critter Control.....but 500 was just a little too much money.

Thanks for the cautionary tips. I read that they can carry rabies and some type of ringworm. 

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 05:26:47 am »
I don't know how the laws are in your state but a captured coon cannot be released within another county due to the diseases. Ron you may think 500 wouldn't have been so bad, if you would see how much destruction they can do.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »
I don't know how the laws are in your state but a captured coon cannot be released within another county due to the diseases. Ron you may think 500 wouldn't have been so bad, if you would see how much destruction they can do.

To paraphrase Mr Scott..." Captain, there be whales a raccoon here."

I got up, looked outside marveling that we are still 'snowed in' after 2 days. Called mom ..

"Unusual weather we're having for Texas, It looks just like it did 2 days ago. There has not been a single drip from the eaves, my truck still has a snowbank on the hood and roof, the streets are still covered in ice and I know it's bad... cause....

..Domino's is not delivering. "

I remember when I used to deliver pizza they sent us out no matter what the weather.

"Do you need to go out?"

"No, there is still some semblance of food in the kitchen. I haven't been to the store yet as I would have never believed that I would be snowed in."

Thursday it was in the 80's,  then it was freezing on Friday and it has remained. Usually it will sleet and the next day will be gone.

While discussing that I wouldn't be going to the Nursing Home tonight, again, I was walking as I talked, and was nonchalantly opening the door to the garage to check the trap and...

" uhh, mom, call me Trapper Ron. I got the raccoon."

"Really?"

I called Animal Control and got an answering service as they are closed due to the inclimate weather. The lady was nice and I tried to be nice as now I had succeeded in catching it, I wanted it gone.

They will be open on Monday. I have a Coumadin Clinic Appt on Monday afternoon. They will give you a time frame and you don't have to be home if you have given permission for them to come on your property.

So, if they are going to come while I'm getting my INR checked, before I leave, I will take the shovel and push the cage out of the garage onto the driveway.

"Can I give you my name and address now and you can put me on the list?"

"Weelll, I could but once I do it puts a time stamp on a 24 hour call back and since they won't be open until Monday, your case would have been closed by the time they open." ...of course...

I bowed my head and bit my lip...."so bottomline is I have to call on Monday?"

"Yes"

I took a picture of the winter wonderland, and one of the caged critter and....

I can't find the USB cord for the camera to download to the computer. I also can't find the can of Flex seal to spray the opening in Katie's closet.

I basically can't find anything anymore as the house was turned upside down when the roof had to be raised in every room of the house from a tree falling on the roof and breaking the main horizontal beam causing the roof to sag.

For three months last year I lived in different rooms of the house. As they finished one room, we moved everything from one room to another and by the time it was over, everything had been everywhere, and due to my lack of energy, has been that way all year.

I sometimes feel like a ghost wandering the house sometimes.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 05:56:11 pm »
I got up at 5am to shower and dress for what was to be a 'big day'

Called Animal Control at 7am and got a recording that they were still closed due to the weather. We had an insignificant thaw when it reached 34 yesterday. There are now two lines down the middle of the road.....ice still has its hold on everything else.

I have never used 4x4 on my truck, so I decided to see if I could back out of the driveway. Tried in 2wd at first and only spun my tires. Turned the switch to 4H and I was moving.

I was warned not to drive on dry roads in 2H or 4H as it would wear out parts faster and ruin the tires...I don't get it.

Called the Coumadin Clinic and got a recording they were closed.

So...all dressed up and no where to go was I.

Checked on the raccoon and it's still there and stinking up the garage. My eyes water and burn and my chest starts to close up. But the answering service at Animal Control said to try again on Tuesday.

After all the Christmas specials I've been watching on Hallmark channel, I had a horrible dream about the "Christmas Raccoon" ......and I'm not even on Atripla.

My sister Terry called wanting to know how we're going to do Christmas this year. With new members being added to the family, they also have different ideas on how they celebrate Christmas and we are constantly in flux as to just how it is going to work out...

...but it always seems to work itself out. I'm certain there are certain members of the family making sure it works out.

I just sit back and let it happen. If I make it too obvious that I am not actively involved, no one is too bashful to ...

"OH good, you're not doing anything....come here please and help me."

"So are we going to give presents to everyone, only for the children and draw names for the adults, or have a Christmas gift exchange?"

" I got a raccoon...caged and wanting a good home"

"Don't you dare"

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 06:03:41 pm »

I was warned not to drive on dry roads in 2H or 4H as it would wear out parts faster and ruin the tires...I don't get it.

What gear do you drive in normally?  You should never use 4L at highway speeds, but have never heard of not using 2H on dry roads.  That's the normal gear to use on most 4 x 4's.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 06:34:43 pm »
What gear do you drive in normally?  You should never use 4L at highway speeds, but have never heard of not using 2H on dry roads.  That's the normal gear to use on most 4 x 4's.

Wolfie

My brain farted. I drive in 2H warned about 4H and 4L...it was the 4L that got me over the hump of ice and moving ....Then changed to 4H...

Also warned to not get overconfident as just because I may be feeling like the King of the Road, that 4x4 does not help in stopping.....

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 07:44:29 pm »
You might need to refer to the owner's manual as some 4 x 4's are ok to run in 4H under any conditions.  The only reason not to is decreased MPG. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »
My brain farted. I drive in 2H warned about 4H and 4L...it was the 4L that got me over the hump of ice and moving ....Then changed to 4H...

Also warned to not get overconfident as just because I may be feeling like the King of the Road, that 4x4 does not help in stopping.....
rondrond, I never use 4 wheel on ice. If you get into a slide and then the front grabs solid payment it shoots you the directions your tires are headed and that is usually the ditch. Been there done that on my first 4 wheel drive.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 08:12:45 pm »
rondrond, I never use 4 wheel on ice. If you get into a slide and then the front grabs solid payment it shoots you the directions your tires are headed and that is usually the ditch. Been there done that on my first 4 wheel drive.

Me neither.  I only use it when needed.

I recently watched a young female reporter showing how to react when driving on ice.  She said it is best to gently tap the brakes to avoid sliding.  I sent an email and they haven't responded yet. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.