Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:05:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 320
Total: 321

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My story!  (Read 4321 times)

Offline JustAGirl

My story!
« on: July 05, 2006, 01:23:17 pm »
I just wanted to share my story with everyone!

A little back ground on me...
I was born in 1978 in Caldwell Idaho I had one older sister Dawn.  Our mother passed away when I was 4 from a heart condition.  We were passed from different families nobody wanted us at 8 the man on my birth certificate informed me he isn't my father! (I don't believe him) At 16 I was pregnant and sent from the home I was at to Boise Idaho to a home and school for pregnant teens. Yes I graduated!!!!!  I was on my own from 16 on looking for love in all the wrong places!!

How I got the news...
In 1998 I met a wonderful man we were married in 2000 we tried getting pregnant for 2 years finally did, miscarried we were going to go in for fertility testing but the day before we were to go in I found out I was pregnant. We were so excited we went in for the first appointment had all the routine work done went home on cloud nine!  Then the call came in my doctor needed to see me ASAP.  So we rushed right in and that is when my life changed forever I was told I was HIV+ my first though is my baby what was I suppose to do.  My doc was awesome she did another test on me and did one on my husband.  We talked and cried for a while and went home. I was in absolute shock this doesn't happen to "normal" people like me this just couldn't be right.  Well the 2nd test came back positive to and the hubby's came back negative. I was asked if I wanted to carry the baby to term and of course I said yes abortion was never an option for me!!! What was suppose to be one of the happiest times of our lives had just turned to one of the scariest. That same week I went to the Ryan White Clinic and got set up with a doctor I had to start taking meds when I was 3 months pregnant that was a nightmare they made me SO sick I was throwing up all the time!

My job...
I was working in a toy store when I found out.  I confided in one girl and come to find out she told everyone in the store. I maybe worked for a month then I quit im not sure the people were being different I just felt like they all looked at me differently so I quit plus with the meds I could of never continued to work!

The baby...
Because of the HIV I had to be induced so I could have my AZT IV so on February 14 2002 I got induced wow what an awful time.  The AZT made me throw up during labor at one point they lost the babies heart beat and I almost had to have a C section but they found it again and I was able to deliver vaginally.  I had Aubrianna Louise about 16 hours later.  I think I though it would be easy after that but the next day we were taught how to administer her meds to her all I could think is I could give this to her how will I live with myself.  The meds were bad but the blood draws were even worse it was so sad and knowing it was being done because of me made it worse she would cry and I would cry. She is 4 now and negative.  When she was 2 months old we ended up pregnant again this time it wasn't so bad we had been through it all he is 3 now and also negative!!!!

How I got HIV...
It didn't take long to figure out who I got HIV from. I went to the Health Department reported everyone I had been with and when I told them they knew the guy and knew he was positive and in trouble for knowingly giving it to women.  Its crazy because I had been with a lot of men and never would I have though he would have been the one.  My husband wanted me to join in on the charges against him but I didn't want to I felt he had taken so much from me already I wasn't about to waste any of my time on him he will get or has already gotten whats coming to him!

Where I am today...
I am in pretty good health I was on meds because I had to have a hysterectomy a couple months ago I am no longer taking them.  The surgery went perfect. I try not to dwell on my condition it use to be that if it even got mentioned I was in tears or a really mean mood but im OK with it I have HIV im still a wonderful person it doesn't define me.  My husband is still negative and I pray he stays that way. I got lucky he has stayed by my side through this all I know he worries about me but I feel like we can get through anything after going through this.
I do take Prozac but I had depression before HIV so its not necessarily for it. I have went to counseling but I feel like im in a good place and I don't really need it they are always amazed at my attitude about HIV I say I have two choices I let it destroy me or I live my life to the fullest I chose to live life to the fullest!!

Im sure I could go on but thats all for now I just wanted everyone to have a little insight to what I have been through sorry its so long I thank you if you took the time to read it!

Tiffany

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: My story!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 02:14:54 pm »
Thanks and welcome, Tiffany. That's quite a story you've told there.

I'm very happy to read that you were able to have the baby you and your husband wanted and that he's remained sero-negative. There are many, many couples in the same situation and they're having great lives in every way, so you're in good company.

You've had your share of ups and downs which is pretty much par for the course, but it doesn't feel that way when it's happening to you.

You're always welcome here to ask questions as well as to just talk about anything that's on your mind.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 06:13:36 pm »
Hi Tiffany,
Good to hear your babies are both doing well. My husband is negative also, no kids, but 4 dogs. Welcome to the forums!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:15:15 am »
Howdy Tiffany,
Welcome to the forum and our eclectic family here. You have certainly had your ups and downs.
The fact that you are survivor speaks for itself. I am delighted about your children and think your hubby sounds like a real keeper.

Well, just wanted to say hi. I look forward to hearing more from you. Feel free to come in and rant, rave or share the fun things as well.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:27:51 pm »
hi Tiffany,

thank you for sharing some of your story and journey with us!

and Aubrianna Louise - what a beautiful name!

take care,
Kate

Offline catwoman

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:29:23 am »
Thank you so much for your story.  It gives me hope on the pregnancy front.  The name Aubrianna is beautiful. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.