Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:59:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 676
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 661
Total: 662

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Help in assesing my situation in Mexico  (Read 2106 times)

Offline ScaredtodeathinMexico

• Standard
Help in assesing my situation in Mexico
« on: August 17, 2013, 02:49:00 pm »
Hi I am a 21 year old male from male from Mexico.

About six weeks ago I engaged in sex with a CSW here in Mexico City. She was a ver fit marathon runner woman, about 40 years old. My erection was not very hard and the condom didn't protect my whole penis. Oral was unprotected but I understand this is no risk. I am afraid hat he condom may have fallen or something without me noticing it. I don't know if she saw me worried or something, but she told me tha she wasn't infected of anything. I intend to call her today to ask further without being obnoxious. On the third week I had a sore throat but I suffer from acid rephlux, so the throat problem can be attributed to that. I forgot about everything, but this last weekend I started worrying again and I don't remember why. The thing is this monday I felt two swollen lymph nodes on my neck and over the week I started feeling some in the groin area. Obviously I was going crazy so I went this Thursday (39 days from event) to an specialized HIV clinic here in Mexico and the counselor told me I had no risk but i had rapid test which came negative, and I think th will also take a 4th gen test on my blood that I have have to pick in two weeks (too long to be bearable)

I think this is too much coincidence so I am fairly sure that I am HIV+

Today I felt a new very large lymph node on my neck. Lymph nodes can not be caused by stress, i know that much. I want to know how likely is my 39 days test to change at the 12 week interval?

I am going crazy as I am just thinking how will I tell my friends and the rest of my family when i test poz. I dont know how I will go through six more weeks.

I think here in Mexico City the treatment is free, but I would like to know if there is anyone here from Mexico that I can speak to?

Another problem is that people do discriminate a lot so I donīt know how will I ever get a job.

I am thinking of suicide but I dont want my family to suffer si I wont do it,b ut then I should not tell them that I am positive.

I think I will spea with my parents about all this this same day.

I hope I can get some of your guidance.

Thanks

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Help in assesing my situation in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »
Wow, calm down!

Your sex was protected, even if the condom slipped. The head, or glans of your penis and your urethra are the only vulnerable areas of the male genitalia. As long as the head of your penis was covered, you were totally protected.

You must also realize that HIV is significantly harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around. Significantly.

swollen lymph nodes can mean anything - or nothing. And feeling them up makes them swell also. Swell and hurt. Knock that off.

You had a test at roughly 40 days. A six week rapid test is all but conclusive even if you had a risk. And you did not.

If you absolutely must, then test at the three month period, collect what will be an inevitable negative result and move on.

I suspect this is more about shame at having visited a prostitute than anything remotely grounded in HIV science or reality. As the counselor who administered your fist HIV test told you, you had no risk.

Until you can bring yourself to believe that, how many experts need to try to convince you?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ScaredtodeathinMexico

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »
JK thank you very much for answering me.

When you say that a 6 weeks result is all but conclusive, do you mean that my 39 days test means nothing?

Tomorrow morning I am going to have a 4th gen test and I will have the results on Monday. I wanted to know if I can come back and post my result here and also post my 12 weeks result. I am asking this because I don't want to abuse the forum.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:16 pm »
You 39 day HIV test is a very good indication that your 3 month test will be negative , especially in light of the fact you never had a risk to begin with .

Accept the advice JK offered you and stop worrying about a non existent risk . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.