Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:54:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 655
Total: 656

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This time America has gone too far...  (Read 3001 times)

Offline fearless

This time America has gone too far...
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:03:50 pm »
US Vegemite crackdown fears roil antipodean expats
Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:00pm ET

By Michelle Nichols Reuters

NEW YORK, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Reports that U.S. customs agents are searching people from Australia and New Zealand for Vegemite, a popular yeast extract spread, has created consternation among antipodean expatriates living in America.

The Australian Embassy in Washington said on Monday it was looking into Australian media reports that customs officials were checking people for the salty brown spread.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has long prohibited imports of Vegemite because it contains folate, a B vitamin approved as an additive for just a few foods, including breakfast cereals.

But until recently there was no difficulty bringing in a few jars for personal use. Nearly 100,000 Australians and New Zealanders live in the United States.

Like a similar British favorite called Marmite, it is usually spread on toast with butter or cheese.

"Vegemite made me the man I am today," said Brad Blanks, a reporter with a New York breakfast radio show. "In Australia the slogan is that Vegemite puts a rose in every cheek; but today America has slapped the cheek of every Australian."  ;D

Weekend reports from Australian and New Zealand media said some people had been searched or asked by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents if they were carrying Vegemite.

Agency officials were not immediately available for comment.

"From our perspective there is no food safety issue with Vegemite and we had been advised recently by US authorities that Vegemite was not of concern to them," an Australian embassy spokeswoman told Reuters.

Vegemite is made in Australia by U.S.-based Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT.N: Quote, Profile, Research)

:'( >:(

This could lead to a declaration of war, if you're not careful
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Razorbill

Re: This time America has gone too far...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:06:14 pm »
Tell me again why you eat this stuff?

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:29:59 pm »
Because:

We're happy little Vegemites
As bright as bright can be.
We all enjoy our Vegemite
For breakfast, lunch, and tea.

Our mother says we're growing
stronger every single week.
Because we love our Vegemite.
We all adore our Vegemite.
It puts a rose in every cheek!

All that vitamin B is the reason us Aussies are so laid back

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:38:58 pm »
God Bless America, for keeping that shit off US soil.

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:50:56 pm »
Yeah, but an American company is glad to make it and reap the rewards of our bizarre tastes.  ;D
Y'all should be forced to eat it - watch the crime rates fall as you all chilled a little :D ;D

Offline Jody

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 09:43:17 pm »

Land Down Under Lyrics
by Men At Work

Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said,

"Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said,

"I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder

Lying in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, "Are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?"
And he said,

"Oh! Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?

;D

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 10:24:00 pm »
I could swear I saw Vegemite being sold here at one time or another.  ???

Figures, we are nearly strip searched to board a plane, forced to endure hours in smoke-free environs called "sterile areas" and now they are searching people for illicit vegemite.

What's next, our beloved peanut butter?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 12:41:59 am »
The only question I have is what the hell is it?  ??? I do remember it mentioned in the Men At Work song and what is the problem with eating it? Personally, I might need some cause my doc says my thyroid was a lil swollen a few months ago and told me to eat a lil salt. Can someone smuggle me some..j/k
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 05:25:24 am »
It taste like (and looks like), liquid human feces that has been salted to death.  So if you got thyroid issues, have at it...but trust me, unless you grew up eating it, you probably won't like it.  I think it's like yeast (left over from beer productions) with a pound of salt added to it.

Hey Lil Steve, apparently that story was wrong.  The government said that there is no ban on the importation of Vegemite and the FDA is not pulling them off the shelves.

Offline fearless

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 07:54:51 pm »
Not quite like liquid human faeces, Cliff. It's more like black, incredibly salty margarine.

Thankfully the reported 'ban' is off. I can travel safely again.  ;D

"Australians living in the United States are spooked because of rumors of a ban on Vegemite. Recent media reports from Down Under have claimed that U.S. customs officials have started searching for the spread. The U.S. government denies that the Aussie delicacy will be banned. What's in Vegemite, anyway?

A lot of yeast. Vegemite is a brown, salty paste made of leftover brewers' yeast mixed with vegetables and spices. Australians and New Zealanders often spread it on toast with butter. The taste is strong and bitter, so the spread, which has a consistency similar to margarine, is used very lightly.

The rumors about a possible Vegemite ban stem from the spread's high concentration of folate, a water-soluble B vitamin. Folate is a vital nutrient that, among other things, helps form red blood cells and prevents neural tube defects in fetuses. Artificial folate, also known as folic acid, is highly regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, though, and only approved for use in a few foods (such as breakfast cereals). But since Vegemite's folate is naturally occurring—brewers' yeast contains several B vitamins—it is not banned in America. "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.