Bienvenido(a), Visitante. Por favor, ingresa o regístrate.
Marzo 18, 2024, 10:04:24 pm

Ingresar con nombre de usuario, contraseña y duración de la sesión

Usuarios
Stats
  • Total de Mensajes: 772781
  • Total de Temas: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (Junio 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Usuarios en Línea
Users: 0
Guests: 221
Total: 221

Bienvenido

Bienvenido a los Foros Comunitarios de POZ, un área de discusión contínua para personas con VIH/SIDA, sus amigos/familiares/personas que los cuidan, y otros a quienes les interese el tema del VIH/SIDA. Haz clic en los enlaces que siguen para visitar nuestros foros, o participa de la conversación al inscribirte en el sector izquierdo de esta página.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here(Members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí(Sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Advertencia sobre la privacidad: Ten en cuenta que estos foros están abiertos para todos y que se los puede encontrar haciendo búsquedas en Google u otros buscadores. Si eres VIH positivo y lo revelas en nuestros foros, es lo mismo que decírselo al mundo entero (o al menos al mundo entero en Internet). Si esto te preocupa, no uses un nombre de usuario o una imagen gráfica que pueda identificarte de alguna manera. No autorizamos borrar nada de los que escribas en los foros, por lo tanto piensa antes de hacerlo.

• La información que los moderadores y miembros comparten en estos foros, está diseñada para complementar, y no para reemplazar la relación entre un individuo y su médico de cabecera.

• Todos los miembros de estos foros, en consecuencia, no son considerados proveedores médicos con licencia. De lo contrario, los usuarios deben identificarse a sí mismos como tales.

• Los miembros de los foros siempre deben comportarse con respeto y honestidad. La publicación de guías, incluyendo políticas de suspensiones y prohibiciones han sido establecidas por los moderadores de estos foros. Haga clic aquí para las guías de publicación de “¿Estoy infectado?” Haga clic aquí para leer las guías de publicación relacionadas con todos los otros foros comunitarios de POZ.

• Solicitamos a todos los miembros de los foros que proporcionen referencias sobre la información relacionada con la salud/médica/científica que brinden, cuando no se trate de una experiencia personal que estén compartiendo. Por favor proporcionen enlaces con direcciones de Internet completas o citas completas de trabajos publicados que no estén disponibles en Internet. Además, todos los miembros de los foros deben publicar información que sea verdadera y correcta de acuerdo con su conocimiento.

• Los anuncios de productos – incluyendo enlaces, banderas, contenido editorial y estudios clínicos, estudios o participación en encuestas – está estrictamente prohibido por los miembros de los foros a menos que POZ haya asegurado el permiso.

¿Has terminado de leer esta parte? Puedes cerrar esta o cualquier otra ventana en esta página haciendo click en el símbolo de cada ventana.

Autor Tema: Will it get better?  (Leído 3742 veces)

Desconectado c69

Will it get better?
« en: Octubre 19, 2006, 01:41:16 pm »
To start with:
Diagnosed Dec 2005, started meds in May (sustiva, truvada) at 279tcells.
Now undetectable and 400 tcells.
Now for my question:
I still feel like xxxx, tired, weak, neuropathy etc. Started working again but it's so hard to keep going.
How are your experiences over time? Did you get more energy, did it take months, years?
Did it ever get back to (somewhat) normal?
I know everyone is different, I just want to hear about your experiences, good or bad.

THX

C69
Meds since May 2006, Abacavir, Tenofovir, Reyataz & Norvir.

Desconectado wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
Re: Will it get better?
« Respuesta #1 en: Octubre 19, 2006, 02:39:51 pm »
Diagnosed Feb 2006. First labs (March) showed CD4 at around 50 and VL was in the hundreds of thousands. At that time, I'd been suffering from a cough of unknown origin and had been taking antibiotics which seemed to help - somewhat. Upon receving those March labs, docs advised I should start some prophylaxis so on came a daily dose of Dapsone, as well as HAART. The coughing continued to get worse and at the point when I could barely walk, I entered hospital for a weeklong stay in ICU. After a bronchoscopy, the confirmation of PCP arrived. All sorts of whacky intravenous meds at that point (May 2006) and I have been recovering since.

I'd lost about 40 pounds by the time I entered hospital. I looked like death warmed over. Spent the summer convalescing and packing in the food. I was eating so much that I spoke little.

It's now October. I've packed on all the weight I lost +10 more pounds, have been working out, but still have moments of tiredness here and there. I just sleep when that happens, where I can. I'm lucky enough to have gone back to school to my schedule is quite flexible - non 9 to 5 deal. I'd say that at this stage, I'm pretty much on top of most health issues, aside from the emotional roller coaster. All in all, things have definitely improved, and in a very short time - just a few months. I feel and look better than I did a year ago at this time.

Desconectado newt

• the one and original newt
« Respuesta #2 en: Octubre 19, 2006, 04:06:16 pm »
Hey hello

tough time eh?

Before I comment I would like to know, if you care to share, if you felt tired, tired, weak and/or had neuropathy before/after starting meds... (and er, how much you weight, as it happens, would be helpful)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Desconectado c69

« Respuesta #3 en: Octubre 19, 2006, 05:37:13 pm »
To newt:

I get up being tired but am able to work a full week, but the weekend is spent in bed recovering.
So I guess that is better than premed, when the entire week was spent in bed.
Neuropathy issues date from premed but the meds seemed to worsen it. Actually a med switch brought some relief. I dropped the emtriva for abacavir three weeks ago which gave me relief from the day i switched. Maybe I have to be more patient.
I am 72 kg.
I guess it is also about not being able to accept that all of a sudden I feel like 73 instead of 37.
« última modificación: Octubre 22, 2006, 03:38:06 pm por c69 »

Desconectado SoSadTooBad

« Respuesta #4 en: Octubre 19, 2006, 09:47:42 pm »
It WILL get better - I spent 2005 exhausted, sick all the time and I lost about 30 lbs.  The diagnosis, with a T-cell count of 78, really knocked me on my ass.  That said - 4 months on HAART, and I have gained 10 lbs, my color has come back and I have not had this much energy in 3 years.

There are rough days - not every day is great - don't fight it - listen to your body and rest when you need to.  As the days pass, you will get stronger, look better, and feel a lot fucking better.  Never going to be the old 'normal' again, but the new normal does not suck.

Hang in there!! 

Desconectado Eldon

« Respuesta #5 en: Octubre 19, 2006, 11:20:24 pm »
Hello C69,

It will get better, it takes time. There could be a number of reasons why you are feeling so tired. It could be either physical or psycological or both. You may want to consider starting a multi-vitamin with your meds as this can be of good help to your system.

As far as your rest is concerned, make it your business to get at least (8) eight hours of sleep each evening. If you are drinking alcohol, caffeine, excessive sugars, you may want to cut back on the consumption as well. It effects your sleep.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Desconectado newt

• the one and original newt
« Respuesta #6 en: Octubre 20, 2006, 04:54:15 am »
Hey hello

I second what others have said.  It will get better. 

HIV is a big viral infection. It takes time for the body to heal and for the immune system, now it's working again, to deal with the virus & it's after effects properly.  Sleep is good (like after flu). Your response to treatment is very good.

PN wise, you might try some L-acetyl carnitine (Alcar), an amino acid, 1,500 mg 2 x day, which a few studies have shown helps repair the nerve damage caused by some anti-HIV drugs, it may help (gotta be the more costly L-acetyl carnitine, not just the cheaper other types though). Repair can take several months. Now you've changed drugs this may happen on its own.

Another supplement, Alpha-Lipoic Acid – 600 to 900 mg daily – may help protect nerves/connective tissue from inflammation/further damage.

Personally I would be bold about bombing some ibuprofen or aspirin for a bit if you ache.  Joint/muscle pain is an inflammation, from the virus or possibly Sustiva, and will hopefully pass.  It's just like flu for the virus, and your body will adjust to the Sustiva.

Good luck.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Desconectado c69

« Respuesta #7 en: Octubre 22, 2006, 03:59:03 pm »
I would like to thank everyone for the encouragement and advice, I really needed that. My doc is no help in these matters (as long as the numbers are good he doesn't see a problem). I am already taking multivitamins, and have started both L-carnitine and Lipoic acid some time ago, although not in the dosages Newt recommends so I will up these and see what happens.
Anyway thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted.

C69

Desconectado J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Respuesta #8 en: Octubre 22, 2006, 07:06:20 pm »
Hello C,

2003 was a difficult year for me. By October of that year, I had lost almost 30 pounds of weight. I was down to 130 pounds. My current weight is 172 pounds. This weight came on quite fast after starting on medication in October of 03. I still continued to work full time. But I certainly knew what my limitations were.

Somewhere around June of 2004, neuropathy started, and it was a struggle to do the job I was hired for. I also realised, that I wouldn't be able to hang on to that job, and do it efficiently.

By October of 2004, Another opening came up at work, and I immediately grabbed it. It was in a totally different department,completely different work. I was lucky that position had opened up, because, if it hadn't, I most likely would not have been able to continue my employment.

So, for now things are going OK, I am still full time, but I have got to really relax on my two days off, so I can get through another week of work. I do get quite tired. Even though my blood test results show that things are ok.

It is very important to know what your limitations are, when working full time. There is no way possible I can do the things I used to do, and still remain upright, later in the day. I know these are things, that you may not like to hear, but you need to be aware of it.

Meantime, your numbers are good, try to feel good about that,Things will take time, you are still in the early stages here. hopefully things will get bettter soon, and hopefully some of the fatigue will lesson some, but part of HIV is unfortunately having  fatigue, and all of us suffer from it in sime degree, some more than others. Try the recommendations, as far as the supplements. Know your limits, and rest when you need to.

Take care-----Ray
« última modificación: Octubre 22, 2006, 07:09:07 pm por J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.