Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:12:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: wtf?! cats get it too??  (Read 8743 times)

Offline zach

wtf?! cats get it too??
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:35:26 am »
Normally I don't really like cats. They think they're better than me. But something happened over the weekend that really struck me. Sitting in a coffee shop across from OutWrite books in ATL, I noticed a flyer for "free to good home" Big ass maine coon cat, described as loving and gentle. She has FIV but could still live a full and happy life.

Just about cried. Been kind of moody lately anyway, and was going to the book store to pick up "And the Band Played On" It seemed surreal, like a sign or something.

I didn't know cats get it too. Felt a strong desire to adopt that cat, but thought better of it. And have worried about her since. I may head that way again, and see if she is still available. Obviously me and the cat have something in common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_immunodeficiency_virus

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: wtf?! cats get it too??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:53 am »
They are  better than you.  They're better than all of us.

You don't train a cat...they train you.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:35 am »
Yes, they get the AIDS also.

My siamese TinkTink had it back in the mid 90's and I had to put her down when she got real sick, after 13 great years with her. Interesting that it manifests itself in some of the same ways, diarreha, lesions, vomitting and weight loss. Sad. Back then there was no treatment available :(

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »
She has FIV but could still live a full and happy life.

Poor cat, it's just another way of saying the disease in manageable.

I've always wanted a Maine Coon.  I love their size and gentle disposition.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:02:17 pm »
Visions of breaking off a piece of my atripla and feeding it to a housecat spring into my head.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 02:46:05 pm »
Like Jacks said on Ab Fab: "I want to create a the first 5-star resort for my darling kitties."
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »
Cats with FIV can live a normal life and they don't spread the disease to other cats unless they were to have a major cat fight that involved deep puncture wounds.

On a separate note: people should not offer pets "free to a good home." There are demented people out there looking for free dogs and cats who they then turn around and sell for medical research. I know of a group that went around looking for free dogs and cats for just this reason. It was a "family" with two kids and even a grandmother, they painted the perfect picture of a "loving family."

This is why those who know better charge a "re-homing" fee, it dissuades this kind of activity.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:27:04 am »
Cats with FIV can live a normal life and they don't spread the disease to other cats unless they were to have a major cat fight that involved deep puncture wounds.

On a separate note: people should not offer pets "free to a good home." There are demented people out there looking for free dogs and cats who they then turn around and sell for medical research. I know of a group that went around looking for free dogs and cats for just this reason. It was a "family" with two kids and even a grandmother, they painted the perfect picture of a "loving family."

This is why those who know better charge a "re-homing" fee, it dissuades this kind of activity.

So using animals in medical research is bad?

MtD

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:01:28 pm »
So using animals in medical research is bad?

MtD

The point I was making is that people shouldn't be duped into giving away their family pet to a "good home" when in fact the animal may end up living a dreadful life in a lab.

Most research involving animals is unnecessary and doesn't involve finding the cure to cancer or AIDS or any other serious affliction.  We're talking blinding thousands of beagles, for example, so that someone can wear eye shadow. Or purposely cutting a hole on the sides of live dogs and cats in order to observe in real time how long it takes for a particular dog or cat food to be digested (I'm talking about you, Iams). There's a lot of deliberate cruelty that goes on in the guise of "research."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:28:16 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 04:23:56 pm »
The point I was making is that people shouldn't be duped into giving away their family pet to a "good home" when in fact the animal may end up living a dreadful life in a lab.

Most research involving animals is unnecessary and doesn't involve finding the cure to cancer or AIDS or any other serious affliction.  We're talking blinding thousand of beagles, for example, so that someone can wear eye shadow. Or purposely cutting a hole on the sides of live dogs and cats in order to observe in real time how long it takes for a particular dog or cat food to be digested (I'm talking about you, Iams). There's a lot of deliberate cruelty that goes on in the guise of "research."

A fair point Inchie. I misread your earlier post. Apologies.

MtD

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 06:14:48 pm »
A fair point Inchie. I misread your earlier post. Apologies.

MtD

I love your new avatar. And that line reminds me of something my ex used to say: "People will think I beat you in private." I think he got it from a noir film.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:22:43 pm »
My avvie depicts the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's famous Interpretive Dance Bandicoot in one of his most expressive poses. :)

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:04 am »
(I'm talking about you, Iams)

I hate Iams. I feel physically sick every time one of their adverts is shown on the telly. The things they do in the name of "research" are despicable. A mate of mine owns a pet shop and I talked her out of stocking any Iams products. When she went to some of the internet sites I directed her to, she was as appalled as me. The head honchos at Iams should be subjected to the same treatment they dole out to defenceless animals. I'm not normally a violent person, but I'd love to kick the shit out of the Iams assholes. Grrrrrrrrrrr..............
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline coolstone25

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:40 am »
hi Ann!

> When she went to some of the internet sites I directed her to, she was as appalled as me.

Can you post those websites or forward them to me like in a PM or something? I am interested.

Offline carousel

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 10:30:53 am »
Gays, Druggies, Black people and now Cats.

If this is God's work, that's one sick motherfucker.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 10:33:53 am »
I hate Iams. I feel physically sick every time one of their adverts is shown on the telly. The things they do in the name of "research" are despicable. A mate of mine owns a pet shop and I talked her out of stocking any Iams products. When she went to some of the internet sites I directed her to, she was as appalled as me. The head honchos at Iams should be subjected to the same treatment they dole out to defenceless animals. I'm not normally a violent person, but I'd love to kick the shit out of the Iams assholes. Grrrrrrrrrrr..............

Yeah...please post or PM.  I'd be highly interested.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:50 am »
Here are just two sites - there are many more.

Iams Cruelty.com

Uncaged.co.uk

The second website has info on other companies that are unnecessarily cruel to animals as well.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 10:46:52 am »
Here are just two sites - there are many more.

Iams Cruelty.com

Uncaged.co.uk

The second website has info on other companies that are unnecessarily cruel to animals as well.

OK...here goes.  I am dreading seeing this, but kinda feel like I have to.  Especially the one that lists other companies.  Hell...I've come close to buying IAMS food for Lola Bear many times - and always felt good about it because they seem to bill themselves as such caring pet people. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 11:10:56 am »
they seem to bill themselves as such caring pet people. 

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:05:18 pm »
Last year Iams, Eukanuba dog food was recalled because of Salmonella. my vet is always trying to talk me into buying their products, they also charge an arm and a leg for their foods...NO THANK YOU.

Cruel bastards!!!.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »
Ann, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one on here who hates Iams. I guess other companies are also bad. It's so hard in this day and age to find a big corporation that isn't tainted in some way but the Iams thing is over the top. The tests they do are completely unnecessary. 

I hope anyone who reads this and has pets doesn't buy Iams/Eukanuba or other Procter & Gamble products.

Offline sorryass

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:00 pm »
How totaly sad.  Shouldn't these people have been up on animal abuse charges?  Sorry, this is the first I've heard of this.  My cat will be haveing a change in diet. 

Bertram
Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »
Disturbing to read but good to know.  Thanks for the heads up on this.  The General will never get any thats for sure.   

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 08:43:42 pm »
Disturbing to read but good to know.  Thanks for the heads up on this.  The General will never get any thats for sure.   

I have a friend who's cat's name is The Colonel.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 03:46:05 am »
Wow, never knew that about Iams. I will make sure I spread the news...And am wondering why no one has taken this public against Iams.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline mpositive

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 07:26:26 am »
Folks, before you jump the gun.  There is more on this subject...

http://is-it-true-that.askavetquestion.com/is-it-true-that-iams-charged-cruelty-animals/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100707075628AAyBUXx

There seems to be more to this.  Truthfully, anytime I see PETA involved in something, I question the motives.  I am a huge dog lover, but I do not approve of the way PETA has handled many things.  However, they have also brought to light many truly bad and evil practices, so therefore, their existence is essential.

The reason I am posting this is because all too often information gets spread that is misleading, exaggerated or an outright lie.  Then a company, person or persons are permanently damaged because of it.  So, I urge all to do their own real research before condemning and passing along information that may not be all it seems to be.
That being said......much love to all!!
M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.