Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:56:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 622
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: St. Andrew's Cross Spider  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Bucklandbury

St. Andrew's Cross Spider
« on: September 16, 2021, 02:37:32 pm »
So I took off this week. My partner is off this week and next. We stayed put here in central Kentucky.

The highlight of today has been a St. Andrew's Cross Spider (Argiope kiyserlingi) - photo below - outside my bedroom window I just found. At least I believe that's what it is. I am not an arachnophile, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I left her alone. She's harmless. Maybe she will eat some mites or flies, which I despise.

https://i.postimg.cc/9mrYsXRB/Image-1.jpg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:41:19 pm by Bucklandbury »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: St. Andrew's Cross Spider
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:15:29 pm »
Here in the Carolinas we have the Argiope Aurantia aka the "writing spider" - this kind of spider spins a zigzag piece in the center of it's web instead of the cross like the kiyserlingi. They are territorial of each other, so right now we have one right outside the screened-in back porch, and one out on the deck canopy by the pool.

I have flicked the porch screen a few times knocking bugs into the web. Ostensibly, I claim to do that to help feed my spider; but really because it's totally gnarly to watch the spider rush the trapped bug, bite it, wrap it up it silk, and drag it back to the center of the web to be eaten.

I hate the spider out on the pool deck though. Not only does she not eat enough bugs, she keeps moving around to different sides of the canopy every other day or so, and I keep walking into webs. ugh, ugh, ugh!

Speaking of the pool, I'm draining my above-ground pool down right now (summer is over sadly) because after I tilled up and leveled the area 2 seasons ago, one side is starting to erode and sink. I killed a big ol' black widow hiding out on the side of the pool. yuck!

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »

This summer I got invaded by about a dozen cicada killer wasps. Setting up their homes by one of my flower beds, they dug holes about 2 inches wide and 8 inches deep, leaving piles of dirt all over. While I'm fine with them killing those damn noisy cicadas, between their buzzing and loud wing flapping, it's really terrifying to have them (almost the same size as cicadas) flying passed your head carrying cicadas that are still making their loud buzzing as they head towards becoming dinner for the killer wasp's larvae down at the bottom of those holes.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 08:34:50 pm »
Argiope Aurantia

Well, now... I think maybe "my" spider may be the same species as your Carolina cousin, leatherman? I've got the genus right for sure, but that species leaves me guessing. If you look closely at the photo I posted, I see more of a zig-zag behind her - not a cross. So maybe mine is an aurantia as well?

Like I say, I am no expert.

This is why I gave up many times on ID'ing mushrooms... They are just to hard to differentiate. Taxonomy can be difficult.

I am better with trees. LOL. Plus they don't bite.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:37:41 pm by Bucklandbury »

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 08:39:52 am »
Well, all, I am saddened to report my spider has died. I saw her carcass on my bedroom sill just now. She had a good run, but the cold weather has set in here for real now, and I guess she couldn't hold on any longer.

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 10:52:26 am »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 01:39:29 pm »
the one by my back porch moved out about a month and a half ago :(

the one on the canopy at the deck was still there; but today was the day to take down the canopy cover and mesh screens for the winter, so it was moving day for her. The poor thing was nearly immovable after a night dipping to 32. She was guarding 2 huge egg sacs. I carefully scooped the sacs and the spider with some twigs (which got her to stir and be sorta antsy, but she did stay on stick) and moved them all to a sheltered place out in the wood pile. Don't let Mother Nature say I never did anything for her ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.