Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:59:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 488
Total: 488

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: N.C. Politician: No Financial Aid for PWA's with "Perverted Lifestyle"  (Read 7023 times)

Offline edfu

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: N.C. Politician: No Financial Aid for PWA's with "Perverted Lifestyle"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:59:15 am »
Yes, I noticed that article in my local paper this morning. I'm going to suggest they also cut cancer treatment for people who use tobacco, emergency room care people people who intentionally hurt themselves in suicide attempts, diabetes care for people who are obese, cardiac care for people who don't exercise, dental care for people who don't brush their teeth regularly...

Let's not treat any conditions that have anything to do with behavior. Unless it is purely genetic we shouldn't treat it. We will save so much money.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:58:50 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:27 am »
That's truly unbelievable!

"I'm not opposed to helping a child born with HIV or something, but I don't condone spending taxpayers' money to help people living in perverted lifestyles"

What if said child then grows up to lead a "perverted lifestyle"?

Offline Gio

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 06:54:19 pm »
I read that article..  I was sooo sooo angered and outraged by his statement...  Regardless of how we contracted the virus we should always have compassion......  If he is a religious man maybe he would need to read the part about the Lepers perhaps then he will find some compassion...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »
If he is a religious man maybe he would need to read the part about the Lepers perhaps then he will find some compassion...
oh no, no, no.  :D  :D You see here in the "Bible Belt" of the States, it's religion that gives this guy his crazy notion that gays are sinful (ie perverted) people in the first place. For goodness sake don't let him read any more of the Bible.  :D LOL

but all this is just par for the course of living in certain parts of the South. Brown got boxes of Fruit Loops in protest over other comments of his just back in Oct; but he's still in a position that he's been re-relected too. Then there's a commissioner on the Charlotte/Mecklenburg Cty council who regularly spouts out anti-gay biogtry. He also gets re-elected over and over by the people in his district. After speaking derogatorily about another commissioner's gay son who died from AIDS just a few months ago, James started out this year with a controversy over calling all homosexuals "sexual predators")
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline JustDoIt84

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:53:22 pm »
Shocker...
05/04/10 - tested negative
06/24/10 - received indeterminate test
08/13/10 - confirmed positive - cd4 360 VL 127,000
08/21/10 - No Mutations - VL 113,000
09/01/10 - Started Atripla
10/01/10 - VL 1,427
12/02/10 - CD4 611 VL 424
01/06/11 - VL 86 (D’oh, this is taking forever!... 47 more copies to go until UD)
03/09/11 - CD4 587 VL Undetectable!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:56:10 pm »
Shocker...

No shit.  That's generally the religious bunch all over.  There are all about compelling birth - even if under the most deplorable conditions - as a "right to life"; however, once you're born, the concern over that right because notably diminished.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:18:32 pm »
Shit like this is why HIV remains a Big Deal.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:05:59 am »
I just read this thread after reading this from Nebraska about a proposed law to criminalize someone with HIV or Hep C spitting on a police officer.  Sad.  This adds to all the stigma.  Someone with HIV or Hep C should be treated the same as anyone else if they spit on a police officer.       

http://www.thebody.com/content/art60161.html

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 05:24:30 am »
No retirement money for people too old to be this stupid and hateful.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 12:21:35 am »
Crazy and disturbing. Never ceases to amaze me what goes on in some places.
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Jody

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:10:17 am »
*** More on so called religious folks in politics.......

AP – Gov. Robert Bentley delivers a speech after being sworn in during the inauguration ceremony at the Capitol … By JAY REEVES, Associated Press Jay Reeves, Associated Press – Tue Jan 18, 11:39 pm ET

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

"His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.

Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn't a Christian doesn't have that same relationship to him.

"If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.

Responding to questions about it, Bentley's office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes "he is the governor of all of Alabama."

"The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians — Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone's lives better," the statement said.

Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told The Birmingham News he wasn't sure how Bentley's remarks were intended.

"Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved?" Taufique said. "Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down. That's not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don't want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life."

The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.

"If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion," Nigut said.

___

Associated Press Writer Bob Johnson in Montgomery contributed to this report.

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:44 am »
He's probably GAY , the most wonderful gift in the world, you can give yourself, is to HATE yourself, yeah, another one of those crazy religious hateful fuckers, living in that bat-shit-ass  State N.C. ::)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:48:21 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:58 am »
People still actually register shock and awe about what some redneck hick politician from North Carolina utters about teh AIDS?  Please.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:20 pm »
Gov Bentley is a clown; the debates between he and the democrat (R Sparks) were, in my opinion, a total "no contest".  Sparks was more intelligent, answered all questions seriously, etc....this Bentley guy kept re-directing all questions to revolve around the ONE thing he had done.....

He is better (believe it or not) than his Republican opponent in the primary, Bradley Byrne (whose commmercials were on Bill Maher show).  We can thank the AL Teacher's Union, led in part by my brother, for soundly defeating him.   All members were urged to vote in the Republican primary, even if they were democrats (it is stupidly allowed in this state).   They defeated Byrne quite soundly.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline elf

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:43:52 am »
I hate when say that ''You were so bad for your lifestyle and God punished you.''
That's typical of ignorant people.

At least doctors shouldn't try to change what cannot be changed (medical history)
but  should focus on present (treatment) and future (prevention).

:D

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:47:06 am by elf »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.