Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:51:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 130
Total: 130

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Beware the Food You Eat!!  (Read 11287 times)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
Beware the Food You Eat!!
« on: January 19, 2007, 10:29:35 am »
So, Tuesday I ended up in the Hospital (Emergency Room) with severe diarreah and dehydration. I was in there all day, hooked up to IV fluids, antibiotics and other concoctions to make me feel better!

Well, after three stool samples, one streneous urine sample, and a CT scan...it turns out I picked a food born parasite! This is the SECOND time in a year that this has happened! And what appears to the culprit, again...CHICKEN!!!!

Some dumbass didn't wash his/her hands before preparing my meal! I was absolutely miserable...and today I finally have the strength to drive to work and and be productive! The meer thought of solid food makes me want to hurl!

So, it's clear liquids and broths...no dairy (of any kind), no citrus, no tomato soup or sauces, no NOTHING!! I have lost 10 pounds in 6 days...mind you I kind of like the way it makes me look, but puhlease! This is not the way I wanted to do it!

So the moral of this story...if you are HIV +ve, you are more suseptible to food born illness...be very careful as to what you order in a restaurant...don't end up in the hospital and end up on Flagyl and Cipro for a week later...

Just needed to share...and VENT! GOD I HATE BEING HIV +VE!! >:( >:(

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:38:58 am by pozguy75 »
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Beware the Food You Eat!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:35:05 am »
Jeromy,

I just posted a warning about food-borne nasties in another thread.

I know how you feel. I went a week with the hersheys. I also received a stern scolding from Ann for not seeking medical attention sooner.

Bottom line (no pun intended) is we hi-fivers must be ever vigilant and cautious.

To wit:

These are some things I do to help preserve my health.

Chief among those would be to be very cautious about what I eat. People with advanced HIV disease are between 20 and 200 times more likely to develop serious food-borne illnesses.

Some things to do:

All animal products (meats, poultry, fish, eggs) must be thoroughly cooked. No medium rare steaks or roasts, no raw sushi or sashimi, no over-easy eggs or eggs with runny yolks.

No unpasteurized dairy products, including cheese (read the labels, some are made with unpasteurized milk).
(Edited to add: Also avoid soft-ripened cheeses such as camembert, brie, roquefort, bleu, etc., because of the risk of campylobacter sp?)

All fruits and vegetables must be washed thoroughly. Many people use a weak bleach solution (one cap per gallon of water) to do this. There also are produce washes availiable.

Proper kitchen hygiene is crucial. Never cut meat and produce on the same cutting board or with the same utencils. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw meat, poultry or fish, especially before preparing other foods.

Never eat any leftovers that may have been in the refrigerator for too long. (This is a lesson recently reinforced for me. I was retaught a harsh lesson thanks to my complacency.)

My motto is: When in doubt, throw it out. Three days and its history.

Drink bottled or filtered water if possible.

Never eat foods from street vendors. It also is best to avoid buffets because the foods often are not maintained at temperature levels that prevent the growth of bacteria. Also, if it is one of those "serve yourself" types, contamination is probable, especially if children are present.

Don't go grocery shopping and let the groceries sit in the car while you do other errands. Take them home and put the things needing refrigeration away immediately.

You must be the guardian of your own health and these are some simple yet very effective steps that can be taken to help you avoid becoming ill.

OK, I copied and pasted most of this, so it doesn't flow too well. But, I think it gets the message across.

I know there are those who swear they eat raw meat, sashimi, etc., while having single-digit CD4s and say they've never had a problem. Good for them. But I wouldn't want to place a bet on that being the norm. The odds are against me.

Jeromy, hope you're on the mend and feeling back in the pink soon.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 12:14:56 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:42:26 am »
...mind you I kind of like the way it makes me look, but puhlease!

Was waiting for that little line to appear somewhere.   ;)

Yes, I also hate being HIV positive...but I hate food preparers who don't wash their hands, too!   >:(

Ick!  I'm sorry, baby!

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:07:38 am »
Jeromy,
So sorry you had to go through this...I am queasy just thinking about it.

I second what you and Mark have said about being careful with food. I 'enjoyed' a small vacation in the hospital last year with campylobacter, hooked up to IV's. It was horrible. I think it was from a turkey sub.

To add to what Mark listed: I avoid lunchmeats, and prepared salads that are mayonnaise based (unless I made them, then I know how old the salad is).

Hope you start to feel normal soon!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:25 am »
Urrgghh, I can totally sympathise Jeromy! :-\

A great post-puking/pooping remedy I picked up in Greece is rice soup with lemon. Just cook white or brown rice in a bit more water than you normally would, then squeeze fresh lemon over it. There are electrolytes in the rice water that replace essential ones you lose through dire-rear and the lemon helps to ease your stomach. Try that for 2-3 days. Simple and boring but it works. Oh and drink loads of water of course.

Feel better soon hon!

Healing hugs
Melia :-*

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:26:45 am »
This thread makes me even more glad that I prefer to be a homebody, and prepare my own food. I never eat fast food, and only rarely go out to restaurants.

See? being poor as a churchmouse does have its rewards. :-X
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:45:23 am »
Truer words...

Ironically it was a 4 day case of the runs that led to my diagnosis.  Went to the doc to set up a stool sample test, and figured I might as well get him to check off all the other STD stuff while I was there.  I know its stupid, but sometimes I wish I hadn't.  Is ignorance indeed bliss?

BTW, it was poutine bought at the mall that set off the runs, non-Canadians will have to look it up ;)
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Bartro

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:54:07 am »
Just a note about chicken.  I read in consumer reports that eighty some percent of chickens in the grocery store are already contaminated with campylobacter or salmonella.  Careful handling and thorough cooking are the keys to safety.  When I buy raw chicken I immedietly open the packages dump it into the kitchen sink and wash it  before cooking.  Afterwards I fill the sink with hot water and a little bleach and wipe up the area with a rag soaked in the bleach water.  You should never use sponges for cleaning up.  Use a cloth or disposable wipe and launder or dispose of it right afterwards.  It's also a good idea to refrigerate leftovers immediately after eating.  In two hours at room temperature cooked foods can start growing nasty bugs.  

I also picked up a parasite called Giardia from poorly handled foods.  It was hell.  I was sick for weeks.
Rusty

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 11:57:57 am »
Hey Jeromy - glad you are better and sorry you had to deal with all that.  At least when you are ready you can pig out to regain that weight.

I also eat mostly at home these days since I'm so picky about food - which is probably why I don't think I have ever been sick from bad food...although sometimes some of the stuff I find pushed in the back of my refrig would make a good biological weapon.

Hey Northernguy - thanks for teaching me about another food I don't think I'd ever try - and for the rest of you here is what poutine is:

Poutine (pronounced, roughly, poo-teen, or poo-tin; exact Québécois pronunciation in IPA [pʊʦɪn] — listen to it in .wav format) is a dish consisting of french fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with hot gravy (usually brown gravy) and sometimes other additional ingredients. The curds' freshness is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. Poutine is a fast food staple in Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 12:15:42 pm »
Well this just sucks...

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »
I think I've had food poisoning once in my life.  Except for eating sushi (which I don't)  I do all the wrong things with food and never get ill.  Just Saturday I ate lunch with my niece and on my way inside the house left my doggie bag (chicken fajitas) in the back yard.  About 8 hours later I found it and gobbled it all up for dinner.   My last CD4 count was 220 so one would think I'd play it a little safer.

Except for steak I cook the crap out of all meat, though, so know I have no worries there.  I rarely wash salad and other veggies unless there's dirt on them and then it's a cursory rinse.  Except for salad most other veggies are steamed or microwaved so the germs must die in the process. 

Of course I'm a person who drops a chicken breast on the floor and rinses all the cat and dog hair and dirt off pretty thoroughly and eats it.  Mother ingrained in us never to waste food.

Hope you're doing better, Jeromy!

Boo

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 12:31:43 pm by Boo Radley »
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 01:44:06 pm »
I'm sure I've gotten the runs from bad food but never where I had to go the hospital.  Sounds traumatizing.  I guess it's never been more than a 2-day inconvenience and I don't know if it even qualifies as it's probably more PI-type poop.  I take immodium with every HIV doseage anyway and have done so for eons, along with Pancrecarb.

I'll second (some of) what aztecan posted, though for me it's a bit overkill.  I guess it depends where your cd4's are.  I eat steaks medium rare, though not rare.  And I adore unpasteurized cheese... it's legal in France and I know we discussed this in another thread somewhere, I don't see folks dropping dead over there.  US regulations on this are over the top IMO.

The refridge leftovers issue is KEY.

Also, right now I don't particularly eat out a lot so that helps, plus the more "dive-y" the place the more risk you take, or at least it seems that way.  Though when I lived in NYC my cd4's were much lower and I ate out all the time and still somehow managed not to ever end up in the hospital.

Feel better!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 02:06:50 pm »
I ate at a TGI Friday's at Regan Int'l Airport!

I have already stopped eating sushi...I cook my meat medium well to well...and I strictly obey the 3 day rule when it comes to my fridge left overs...but this is the second time I ate a reputable chain that this has happened!

I had a PB&J today with water...oh and swallowed down a Limotil!

Thank you all for your words of support and experiences...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 02:23:01 pm »
TGI Friday's!  *nuf said*

What exactly from the menu?  Whatever it was you'll probably never be able to order it again from ANY restaurant, or even eat it at home.  I hope you called the manager up and read them for filth, and then wrote a letter to the company's HQ.  I'd be horribly livid.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 04:29:24 pm »
There is nothing like freshly prepared home cooked meals. Jeromy, I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you. best wishes!

"What Can I do today to make a better Tomorrow?"

Offline Grinch

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 04:49:03 pm »
I'm going to be spending a fair amount of time in Japan in the next couple of years. Two or three weeks at a time.
I've read no sushi, but, when the ceo of your company takes you for dinner at a sushi bar.....
Did I mention I LOVE sushi?
Are some fish better than others?  Lesser of two evils if you will.

I've given up every vice I enjoyed Drinking, smoking, most forms of sex,  I can't give up food too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 05:29:36 pm »
I received sushi warnings when my cd4's were low.  I don't see why it would be an issue if your immune system is comparatively strong.  Of course, it's still a risk just more minimal.

Then again, I'm not a major sushi lover so I don't care.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 05:42:34 pm »
Jeromy,

Did they test you for Norovirus?  That is a nasty that has been plaguing the Alexandria, VA area for the last few weeks.  Several restaurants closed because of it, and today they closed the Dulles Hilton for cleaning after 125 folks got sick from it.  It causes intense vomiting and diarrhea, the worst of it lasting about 4 hrs, then slowly improving over the next 24 hrs.

It is, apparently, highly contagious, though not necessarily food borne.

-Whizzer

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 05:53:25 pm »
Hey Jeromy.  Sorry to hear about your hospital stay!  I guess, since no one has asked it yet, none of the staff was of interest? :)  Ok, something to cover since I just ate dinner here.  When you said: no dairy (of any kind), no citrus, no tomato soup or sauces, no NOTHING!!  I am assuming that these are the special instructions on meds, right?  The diary part I can remember from Flagyl.  Anyone who eats chicken regularly might want to read the extensive article from Consumer Reports and its recommendations, even though they seem to have been off on child car seats.  I would finally add, while we are on the general topic, to be VERY careful when having anal sex.  A speck of you know what from someone with something evil if it comes into contact with a means of entry to you accidentally (a speck on a finger and then you later eat a piece of fruit) will result in the same thing.  I feel very lucky that by washing and rewashing my ungloved hands after prostate work, I never picked anything up.  I would not recommend, however, taking chances.  Feel much better soon, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline koi1

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 06:46:12 pm »
Funny you should get sick. On Monday, I ate out and I have had the Hersheys ever since. I don't know if it is a bug or not but, my doctor ordered poop analysis. I delivered the goods this morning. Hope they find something so they can help me. I hate diarrhea and having to be so cautious with this virus, but what to do, life is definitely different with HIV.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 06:49:53 pm »
I received sushi warnings when my cd4's were low.  I don't see why it would be an issue if your immune system is comparatively strong.  Of course, it's still a risk just more minimal.

Then again, I'm not a major sushi lover so I don't care.

I eat sushi like it's going out of style... of course I only do so at restos where they seem to exhibit a certain level of competence in its preparation. 

No "Grab n' Go" sashimi for me.

But that's more because I'm a huge snob when it comes to delicious raw fish.   ;)

Of course, my numbers are still really good, so perhaps that's why I can be so flippant about it... if they were lower, I might think twice before sticking raw seafood into my body. 

As of right now, I've had absolutely no problems...

I hope you feel better Jeromy!  There's nothing that can make you feel quite so miserable as digestive woes... I'm sorry dude!

I had food poisoning once or twice... I've always said that it's the one problem that could make me literally commit suicide if handed a gun...

I've also said that the fact that we can vomit and have diarrhea at the exact same moment is proof that there is no God. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 12:55:34 am »
You're not old enough to indulge in "chicken" ;) Get back on yer feet, erm, well, you know, soon, Jeromy!

Offline virgo71

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 01:05:10 am »
[i]People with advanced HIV disease are between 20 and 200 times more likely to develop serious food-borne illnesses.[/i]

What would "advanced HIV" be defined as??

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 01:47:14 am »
This thread makes me even more glad that I prefer to be a homebody, and prepare my own food. I never eat fast food, and only rarely go out to restaurants.

See? being poor as a churchmouse does have its rewards. :-X

I couldn't agree with you more. When I tell people I don't eat out, they look at me as if I'm crazy. And I do watch to see which resturants get fined for poor eating conditions. It pays to stay home and cook. You save money and you don't get sick.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 12:16:03 pm »
Hey Virgo - there are probably more than one definition of advanced HIV.  One of them according to the CDC is

The term AIDS applies to the most advanced stages of HIV infection.

the AIDS definition developed by the CDC includes the following conditions:

* a person must be HIV positive, AND
    * have a CD4 (T-cell) count below 200 OR one or more opportunistic infections.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 12:23:21 pm »
Jeromy, you poor guy!  I feel for you honey.   Just finished 10 days of flagyl myself.

In 1999, I ate some chicken at a TGI Fridays; later that night, I was at the emergency room.  A couple of days later, I was in intensive care for 14 days, almost died, and it took me MONTHS to recover from the whole episode.

I hope you are able to eat normally again very soon, and gain your strength. 

Love & hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 12:45:06 pm »

At least when you are ready you can pig out to regain that weight.

THAT TERM "PIG OUT" CAN HAVE MULTIPLE INTERPRETATIONS WOODY...

AND I'M SURE WHEN JEROMY IS FULLY HEALED HE WILL MAKE USE OF SAID DEFINITIONS!!  WOOF!

AND I'LL BE....UM.....RIGHT BEHIND HIM!  :P  WOOF!  WOOF!

HOPE THINGS ARE SOLID AGAIN JEROMY!...AGAIN ALL DEFINITIONS INCLUDED!! :)

BE WELL....

CRAIG
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 01:26:13 pm by mrtallguy »
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 01:08:44 pm »
Hey Jeromy,

Glad to hear you were able to keep something down, so to speak.  :-*

[i]People with advanced HIV disease are between 20 and 200 times more likely to develop serious food-borne illnesses.[/i]

What would "advanced HIV" be defined as??

Hey Virgo,
As Tucsonwoody the most recent definition regarding advanced HIV disease, I would only add that people needn't have an AIDS diagnosis (which is a term I still hate, but that's another topic) to have trouble with food-borne illnesses.

The rule of thumb my first doc gave me was: CD4s below 500, be careful; below 300 be very careful; below 200, be compulsively careful.

The reason for her advice is food-borne pathogens are actually introduced into our systems when we eat them. This gives them an edge and makes it easier for them to do their dirty work.

By the way, the quote about how much more likely Hi-fivers are to get food poisoning came from a video put out by the CDC long ago.

All of this advice, and the video, were pre-cocktail. These were also the days when people were told to start meds (me included) when CD4s dropped below 500.

That said, I believe the advice is still valid. I agree with many of the others. There is nothing better than a home-cooked meal.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 01:29:20 pm »
geez... sorry to hear this.
I am really paranoid about food borne illness and am fortunate that whenever even the slightest thing seems wrong about the food or the place where I am eating, I stop.  People have told me I'm strange that way, but I have had some miserable bouts of food poisoning and I am not doing it again. 

So, be careful. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 05:40:35 pm »
I know what you mean--I aquired Salmonella in 2005--I'm not 100% sure what the source was.  Never assume that food handlers wash their hands--yeah they are supposed to, they even post signs everywhere reminding workers, heck they may even put signs saying "Our employees wash their hands", but that doesn't mean it is enforced.  My very first job as a teen was in food service and lets just say there was several times I was waiting outside the restroom for my turn and I noticed a coworker coming out with dry hands--and I didn't hear the sink be turned on or the air blower thing go on either.....  Just makes me sick to think about it.  I also think those that do wash their hands don't always do it properly--I saw one food service employee basically get her hands wet, dry them and walk out.

I'm actually surprised I haven't had more food borne illnesses in my life--I had to break myself of habits--I'd get grapes in the store, pop one in my mouth, eating raw cookie dough, etc.  Okay, I still love raw cookie dough and I still get medium rare steak because I don't like it more done than that, but I do at least wash my fruit and such before eating it.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 01:28:22 am »
mmmm.... cookie dough!

I eat chocolate cookie dough made with LOVE by my mother every time I go home to visit, and have done so for 14 years of HIV.  Never got sick... I know I should not encourage the eating of raw eggs, but I digress.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 01:42:29 am »
Philly: Pillsbury Dough Boy he makes the best cookie dough and he will satisfy your cravings! LOL!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 02:15:50 am »
When I had my two bouts with losing weight in '00 and '02 I put back a lot of it by making chocolate cookie dough and eating about 1/2 of it unbaked.  I'd dole it out lovingly for a good 3 days until I thought I was entering the danger zone and then I'd bake the rest and eat it.  Each time I gained my weight back within the year.

Mind you, all the other food I was eating was very nutritious and not junk so please don't think I was eating bad.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 02:21:05 am »
Philly: You were not eating bad, you were eating what made you feel glad and it was some of the best that you ever had. Cookie dough IS awesome!

Now, that you have your weight back, you may want to consider backing off a little.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 02:49:25 am »
Oh... that was ages ago.  I rarely eat cookie dough now.  Maybe a small serving twice per year at my mom's house.  Like I said, I was in salvage mode at that time.  I was also working out a lot at the gym so it was all mitigated anyway.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 02:51:24 am »
Philly: What matters the most IS that you are satisfied with your results.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 03:25:50 am »
Thanks for letting me know.  I was sitting on the edge of my seat.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 03:53:49 am »
Philly: That IS what happens when the movie gets to be intense. Now pass me the popcorn.

What Can I do today in order to make a better tomorow?"

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:48 am »
Hope you're recovering okay, Jeromy.

Some dumbass didn't wash his/her hands before preparing my meal!

One of my pet peeves is anyone with lousy personal hygiene habits. If I so much as find a hair on my plate, the meal is over. *gag* You would think some people never heard of soap and water.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2007, 08:32:53 am »
mmmm.... cookie dough!

I eat chocolate cookie dough made with LOVE by my mother every time I go home to visit, and have done so for 14 years of HIV.  Never got sick... I know I should not encourage the eating of raw eggs, but I digress.
When I was diagnosed, my mom tried to be helpful by actually baking the cookies.  I was amazed at how good some of them are baked, but some--like icebox cookies I feel it is a sin to bake--they are so good in the refrigerator.  Sometimes I make cookie dough, but I refuse to allow anyone to bake it.  mmmmmmm  I think this is a good picture why I gained weight pretty quickly after I felt better after going on meds....
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline bear60

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2007, 01:20:36 pm »
My dear partner Kurt....who is IN CHARGE of the food in our house, because he has to have it HIS way or no way......wanted to get me something for dinner the weekend that the Eagles were in the playoffs so he went to SuperFresh and bought a pre cooked take out platter.....it was meat loaf, green beans, spanish rice with gavy on the meatloaf. I ate it and nearly died from gas....the most ungodly farts....we had to fumigate.  Even eating it was a chore....the green beans were over seasoned with garlic. ...the spanish rice was hard and had too much chili powder in it.....the meat loaf looked a lot like particle board and the gravy was like elmers glue. but i ate it.  Never again.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2007, 01:42:09 pm »
Spanish rice with meat loaf?  Say it ain't so... I can't imagine it without proper mashed potatoes.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 09:33:54 am »
Well everyone, I am feeling much better! Thank GOD!!! I am holding at 163 pounds...and I am looking good!! Anyway, I still am having some loose...okay...it's still the hershey's but not as severe and much more tolerable!

I am still on the Cipro and Flagyl, and not eating the stuff they told me not to, but I am feeling much better!!!

Thank you all for your support in my time in need of a diaper!!  ;D

Love you all!
J
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2007, 09:40:07 am »

Jeromy,

Glad to hear you are doing better.  I hope you continue to improve.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2007, 09:51:27 am »
Well everyone, I am feeling much better! Thank GOD!!! I am holding at 163 pounds...and I am looking good!!

Ahh, so now the truth come out. You're like that personal assistant on Devil Wears Prada: I'm just one stomach flu away from my ideal body weight!  :D

Glad you are feeling better.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2007, 10:03:39 am »
Ahh, so now the truth come out. You're like that personal assistant on Devil Wears Prada: I'm just one stomach flu away from my ideal body weight!  :D

Glad you are feeling better.

And if I feel faint, I have a cube of cheese!  ;D
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.