Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 334
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CARE Act letter to Congress- Every State  (Read 6381 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

CARE Act letter to Congress- Every State
« on: June 01, 2006, 09:53:07 pm »
The Honorable (name of Congressperson)
(Address)

Dear (Name of Congressperson)

I am a constituant urging you to reauthorize a Ryan White CARE Act that will fully fund a comprehensive array of care services.

On May 17, 2006 the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions approved legislation to reauthorize the Ryan White CARE Act (RWCA).  THe RWCA is the dedicated federal source of support for HIV/AIDS care in the United States.

The bill is about to be voted on in the Senate and the House, but funding levels proposed in the legislation are inadequate to address the growing needs of people living with HIV/AIDS in (insert your community and state).  Restrictions placed on spending in the proposed legislation are unnecessary and could deeply harm systems of care which have been proven effective.

The proposed legislation defines eligibility for Title I funding by AIDS cases identified in the last five years.  This standard penalizes our state which has been successful at helping HIV positive people to stay healthy.  A more accurate measure would be counting all living AIDS cases.

The RWCA includes a new tiered funding structure that is considerably more complex than the current system and places our community in position to receive less funding than in the current year.  In (name of your community and state), we have been forced to balance a steadily increasing number of HIV/AIDS cases with diminishing federal support.  Such a drastic cut would be devastating to the care and treatment infrastructure of (your community and state).

Congress is mandating that 75% of CARE Act funding go to "core medical services."  While medical service is critical, so are supportive services like case management, food programs, and housing support.  Especially troubling is a guideline limiting such care to so-called "medical case management", a term with no clear meaning, but which could drastically limit funding to local support agencies.  Hard won experience has proven that supportive services save lives by helping people access and stay in care.

I urge you to support the recommended changes to the legislation proposed by the CAEAR Coalition, a respected national advocacy organization.  The document can be found at www.caear.org/coalition/pdf/CAEARCoalitionRecommendations_5_24.pdf.  Thank you for your continued support.
Sincerely

END OF LETTER

This vote can take place in as little as two weeks.  The names, Washington DC addresses and phone numbers of the members of the Senate Committee on Budget,  the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, the House Ways and Means Committee and the House Subcommittee on Health can be found in the SUPPORT tab of www.Commission-on-AIDS.org Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:10:34 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Eldon

Re: Suggested letter to Congress
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:01:29 pm »
I'm all for the reauthorization. This is one of the reasons WHY we need to develop other resources, to make them available to HIV/AIDS cases.

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: CARE Act letter to Congress- Every State
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:05:39 pm »
May 29, 2006 L.A. Times reports...
Millions of dollars for HIV/AIDS treatment for California could be at risk because of a proposal in Congress that would direct more federal funding to rural and Southern states.

The Senate Committee on Health by a 19-1 vote approved the proposal, which would renew and revise the Ryan White CARE Act.

The measure would appropriate about $2 billion annually to HIV and AIDS programs nationwide, is expected to have bi-partisan support as it goes to the full Senate and House.

California lawmakers and activists are particularily worried that the proposed geographic shift in money could come without a substantial increase in overall funding.

California counties that have recorded declining new AIDS cases are most at risk at losing funding:  The new proposed federal guidelines are only AIDS cases, reported within the past 5 years are used in the formula.

Orange County stands to lose so much of its current annual $4.8 million in direct federal funding could drop below $1 million within 5 years.

San Francisco could lose one-forth of its $28 million, it now receives each year.  Which has declined every year since 1996.

Sacramento could lose all of its direct federal funding at $3 million annually.

Sonoma and Santa Clara Counties are also at risk for losing direct funding.  over 90% of all persons living with HIV/AIDS in Orange County, San Francisco County, Marin County, Sonoma County, Santa Clara County, Sacramento County, and Los Angeles County, who are on anti-retrovirals are recieving non-detectable viral loads.

Isn't this a great way to reward a state and its counties for success in treatment and care for it's people living with HIV/AIDS?  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:06:47 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:12:08 pm »
Michael,

Is your site working ?? I don't remember a log-in

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:37:03 pm »
Hi Ray,

My site is working with almost 2000 log-ins this past week.  Unfortunately, the issue is about to come to an end without good results.  The proposed legislation is not on the House floor yet but could be in as little as 2 weeks and full Senate and House within 2 months.

The point that is being missed by the House of Representatives and the Senate is the need for increased funding levels so all persons living with HIV/AIDS have access to quality care and services.  It does not make good sense to take monies from successful programs, where people are living longer and redistribute those funds to other areas.

I opened this thread with a letter to Congress and asked members of the Forums to fill in the blanks for their states, address and mail the letters to Washington DC.  Time is of the essense here, if the letters do not get out, we lose in California, then which state is next, New York, Florida? We all lose this war.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:08:26 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:51:37 pm »
Michael,
i'm clicking on your link to the website, and it states  "Cannot find server; page cannot be displayed" yadda, yadda, yadda....

John

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:54:04 pm »
Michael, i think i figured out the problem.  On your hyperlink, the web address starts with FTP and not HTTP

John

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:12:00 pm »
I fixed it here and have to go back and make 31 repairs.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:41:38 pm »
Done deal Michael...I e-mailed and printed letters/envelopes for my "good friends" George Miller, DiFi and Barb Boxer, lol.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.