Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 348
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What Do You Take For Anxiety?  (Read 11141 times)

Offline RobbyR

What Do You Take For Anxiety?
« on: July 31, 2013, 06:33:35 pm »
I have been on Paxil (good and bad) and beta blockers, still get panic attacks though. My doc referred me to psychiatrist so maybe he can give me more expert advice for treatment ideas. I was given some benzos (Klonopin) years ago which helped a lot, more than anything else, but I also have a history of substance abuse (cocaine) but have been clean for 4 years & not remotely tempted to ever use again. So I feel like that's why they don't want to give me benzos cause they're scared I'll abuse them.

But just wondering what some of you guys & gals take for anxiety/panic issues? I suspect I have more going on than just the anxiety but will let the psych sort that out I guess. Paxil works pretty well day to day, but still getting these sudden panic attacks sometimes. I also just started taking Hydroxyzine which helps a bit for my anxiety.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline tednlou2

Re: What Do You Take For Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:16 am »
I'm sorry to hear you're still having anxiety and panic attacks.  While mine have gotten much better, I still have daily anxiety.  The all out panic attacks have just gotten better.  I've had some really bad panic attacks, though.

I am on Prozac, Xanax, and the beta-blocker, Atenolol.  While these have helped, I've not been cured.  I honestly don't know what I would do without the Xanax.  I've been in situations where I was having a bad panic attack, and gasping for air.  Popped a Xanax, talked myself down, breathing exercises, and I'm usually better.  I will still usually feel crappy, because of the flood of adrenaline and other chemicals. 

Of course, benzos can be habit forming and cause all sorts of problems.  I think it is like pain meds.  People should try other things first.  But, if your quality of life is not good, then you have to weigh the pros and cons.  For me, I've not had addiction issues some 5 years later--knock wood.  I let refills expire.  But, many are different and will need more and more, which will lead to running out. 

I wish you all the best dealing with this, because I know how awful it is.  I avoid so many things, because I just fear I will have a panic attack in front of friends.  That's where the therapist comes in.  I see him, to try and deal with that. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 06:01:54 am »
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) can do wonders for anxiety and panic attacks and many studies have shown that it's much more effective than meds alone. CBT teaches you how to keep the anxiety at bay and stop panic attacks from happening in the first place.

CBT techniques can be applied to a wide variety of situations and practicing the techniques can lead to not needing any anxiety meds.

Rather than getting a referral to a psychiatrist, I would suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a psychologist who is trained in teaching people CBT. Psychiatrists really only dole out drugs these days.

There are also a lot of books out there on CBT - while reading them can be a place to start and/or a way to keep it fresh in your mind, learning it first-hand in a face-to-face setting is best because a therapist can give you feedback on your progress that you cannot get from a book.

I can highly recommend CBT, so at least think about giving it a try. Good luck!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cojo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »
To add to Ann's comment, I'd also include something called Mindfulness Body Stress Reduction (MBSR) . It has worked well for me to deal with both generalized and acute anxiety. Here's the catch - it really is a discipline that needs to be developed and practiced to fully work; unlike a benzo that is fast acting, works but cannot be sustained over a long period of time. I took a CBT based MBSR course and found it works when applied...Google it and check it out
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:04:12 am »
I asked my therapist about CBT.  He said that's what we are doing.  Well, while we have discussed what things raise my anxiety, what I'm thinking, and what I tell myself, I am not sure it is working well.

But, maybe it is.  I guess I have learned to tell myself I've had these before, I'm not dying, and it will go away.  But, I mean, it doesn't feel like intense therapy, like I would imagine.  And, when you only see the therapist once a month, it gets hard to get into a rhythm.  I suppose if I told him I need more frequent visits, he may find a way to work me in. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:13 am »
Ted, until you feel comfortable regarding your level of expertise with CBT, you may want to see your therapist more than once a month.   It could take once a week until you're more adept.

Sometimes it can be as simple as carrying the bottle of your Xanax with you, and the thought of knowing there's a pill at the ready, can stave off an attack. 

I had horrible anxiety for years, and still do.  But I've learned to talk myself through the attacks.  You can too, just give yourself time.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 07:17:04 am »
Ted, your therapist may also be able to suggest a book on CBT that will help you in between appointments. There are many on the market and like any other genre of books, there are ones that are excellent and ones that are crappy, so your therapist may be able to point you in the direction of an excellent one. Or you could browse through the books available on Amazon and read the reviews to find a good one.

A CBT book should be viewed as a supplement to therapy, not a replacement. Many of them have exercises that you can work through in between appointments.

And yes, also find out if you can see him more often. I've known therapists who wanted to see the client as often as twice a week in the early stages of CBT training. Once a month is more maintenance therapy.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hoyw1975

• Late 30s gay man, diagnosed 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 08:44:41 am »
I've been on citalopram for most of a decade (I only got my HIV diagnosis six weeks ago). I've found it's been quite helpful for my anxiety attacks.

Coping mechanisms are really important too. I find that focussing on my breathing (counting 7 beats in, 11 beats out is quite calming) and things like carrying Rescue Remedy with me can be really helpful.

(Rescue Remedy is obviously a placebo, but the placebo effect is pretty powerful, so I'm ok with that ;) )

But learning how to talk yourself down is the important thing. Good luck  :)

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:20:48 pm »

I've been on  citalopram   for 9 years now , seems to help with
 the happy feeling issues .

I take Clonazapram   <sp>  for anxiety  . As Ann says often just having
 one in my pocket is enought for me to make it through the rough spots .

I was born high strung so it is not something that will be going away
 anytime soon  :-X

I have tried going off both pills at times and end up a nervous wreck and
feel like death warming over , I spose that taking pills and feeling well is
 good enough for me .

Weasel

P.S.  Time for my Trazadone ....
" Live and let Live "

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »
My anxiety has been a life long battle. I also have a strong element of avoidant personality disorder, which at times causes me to self-isolate. On the bright side I am going to see a psychiatrist soon at the recommendation of my pc doc, so maybe he'll give me a bit more clarity since he's trained in the area. I have tried ssri's and they don't do shit but give me lousy side effects. I will not take ssri's again. Not opposed to other classes of meds which I have yet to try.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Bowie-esq

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 04:46:39 pm »
I had both EMDR and CBT for anxiety/panic attacks and post-traumatic stress. Have helped ease the symptoms. I also use positive affirmations (Louise L. Hay) and am currently working through a self-help book recommended by my physiatrist - Reinventing Your Life. It's hard work and a constant battle between pushing through the depression or collapsing in a heap. Today was collapsing in a heap....
Infected: +\-01/2010

Tested positive 08/2010
28/07/11 CD4 420 9% v.l. 20500
16/10/11 CD4 320 10% v.l. 185000
10/11/11 begin Truvada/Viramune
29/12/11 CD4 410 13% v.l. 115
14/4/12 v.l. undetectable
05/7/12 CD4 520 19% v.l. UD
21/08/13 CD4 470 20% v.l. UD
19/12/13 CD4 430 23% v.l. UD
8/12/14 CD4 600 21% v.l. UD
4/2/15 CD4 600 v.l. UD. Cholesterol 6.2 ....

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »
I think I made a good move, I decided (on my doctor's advice) to see an actual psychiatrist, which is good because unlike regular doctors they are trained in the area & know what to do. He diagnosed me as having panic disorder & social anxiety disorder. He put me on paxil & gave me a few Xanax (yippee) lol tho no refills so I'll have to be real careful with the xanax because it's addictive. I guess he only means for me to take it when I am feeling a panic attack coming on. I see him again in 3 months so hopefully I won't have anymore panic attacks they truly are scary & paralyzing. Anyone who has had one knows what I mean. So paxil & xanax here I come!

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline hoyw1975

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
That does sound good, RobbyR. Fingers crossed for you, dude.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
Great to hear.  I hope this helps to control it, or at least make the panic attacks not as bad and less frequent.  Besides a cure for HIV, I keep hoping medical science will discover how to just fix it.  I know the causes are so complex and the brain is still very much a mystery.

All the best! 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 04:22:36 pm »
The only thing I find odd, and I say this as someone who has had at least six prescribing psychiatrists in the past 13 years, never once has anyone of them put me on a new medication and not wanted to see me for 3 months. It's always in a month to check how I am reacting to the new medication, and then possibly come back again the next month before going for longer prescribing periods.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 06:56:37 pm »
I would love to find an alternative to xanax that doesn't knock me out.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:37 pm »
I was really worried about seeing the psych, because one of my main triggers for anxiety or a panic attack is unfamilar people & situations. At times if I get a panic attack I literally hyperventilate & have to carry a brown paper bag to breathe into because I feel like I can't breathe. Lordy lordy, I know! I hope I can ditch that damn bag soon! Come to find out my psych was gay, he didn't actually come out and tell me but a guy always knows & he was cool. he shared with me that he sees many HIV patients so that eased my mind a bit more. He had this weird "psychiatrist" vibe that I guess some just have, but he treated me good & with respect. It was more like a give and take than I thought, he conversed with me and didn't analyze me which I had feared. So it went ok. I'm reserving judgment until after future visits though, because this is a constant battle you never truly overcome anxiety/panic disorder.

Miss P, I didn't think much about the time in between visits. Since it's now September, and I will be seeing him in mid-October, actually it is closer to a month.  So I misspoke on the three month thing.

He wants me to see a therapist but I'm not going to do that until after I start the meds because I just don't like the idea of talking about my issues with someone I don't know, and if the meds work, then no need for a therapist in my opinion.

I wish they could find a go-to one-pill fits all med for anxiety, as it is now there's tons of different ones and many work and many don't. If I had my way I'd take Ativan and nothing else because it worked amazing but I got tolerance for it so had to stop. And I hope I can use the Xanax he gave me and not get hooked on it. But I'm just going to try & trust the process & see what he says in October.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline hoyw1975

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 07:50:05 am »
I completely sympathise with the unfamiliar people and places stuff; it's one of my triggers too and is why I've not visited either of my parents' houses in over 10 years. Parts of that definitely can get easier, though.

Obviously it's your decision and no-one should tell you what to do, but I'd strongly recommend giving more thought to counselling. It can be weird at first, telling your problems to a stranger, but I've found counselling really helpful in the past.

Whatever happens, though, good luck, dude :-)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »
The only thing I find odd, and I say this as someone who has had at least six prescribing psychiatrists in the past 13 years, never once has anyone of them put me on a new medication and not wanted to see me for 3 months. It's always in a month to check how I am reacting to the new medication, and then possibly come back again the next month before going for longer prescribing periods.

My psychiatrist, God bless her, still sees me about twice / month.

RobbyR, good luck with the new medications and the psychiatrist in general.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Azrael2012

• Say Hello! :D
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:39 pm »
CBT as Im not brave enough to go down the route of meds until I exhaust this route, Im not sure its working after nearly a year....so it might be time to try another avenue.
Id rather not just take the meds as Im already rattling with the amount of daily meds in me, and I think either my Liver and Kidneys need a break from another pill.

If anyone has any alternatives Id be glad to hear them tho.

Robby

Offline Bowie-esq

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:38 am »
@Robby, have a look at EMDR therapy. For my anxiety and panic disorder it worked very fast.
Infected: +\-01/2010

Tested positive 08/2010
28/07/11 CD4 420 9% v.l. 20500
16/10/11 CD4 320 10% v.l. 185000
10/11/11 begin Truvada/Viramune
29/12/11 CD4 410 13% v.l. 115
14/4/12 v.l. undetectable
05/7/12 CD4 520 19% v.l. UD
21/08/13 CD4 470 20% v.l. UD
19/12/13 CD4 430 23% v.l. UD
8/12/14 CD4 600 21% v.l. UD
4/2/15 CD4 600 v.l. UD. Cholesterol 6.2 ....

Offline hoyw1975

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 04:15:54 am »
If it helps, the pill burden of the meds I take for anxiety is 1 or 2 a day and the side effects are near-nil, but I can completely understand your reluctance to add another drug to your treatment regime.

Offline Azrael2012

• Say Hello! :D
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 12:37:00 am »
Thanks guys il certainly seek an alternative  :) :) :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.