Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 136
Total: 136

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: tranplant/HIV infection  (Read 2612 times)

Offline pacerintl

tranplant/HIV infection
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/219656.php

Wouldn't HIV prophylaxis by a good idea for the recipient when donors have a questionabe medical history?  This was a poor doner choice from the start.

Offline littleprince

Re: tranplant/HIV infection
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:11:56 am »
Athough, to go down a different path, what is the additional risk from having HIV after transplant? I don't have a huge amount of knowlege of transplant but it's my understanding that life expectanyc is reduced because of the antirejection drugs. Would HIV not be a lesser risk than the original disease causing organ failure or treatment after transplant?

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:52 pm »
This is your Captain speaking:

I can tell you from first ahnd experience about this very subject. A little over 2 years ago I had a liver transplant at UCSF in San Francisco. The results of the study they did there, of which I was a part, show that on average, HIVers who have been transplanted actually have a slightly higher survival rate than non-HIV transplantees. Anecdotal evidence suggests it is because that people who have HIV tend to be more able to stick to their medication regimes, than others, who may never have had to take meds before. They make it very clear from the outset, that if you go into organ failure due to not taking you r meds regularly, you will not be transplanted. IIRC, UCSF data shows that the five year survival rate for us Pozzies to be around 88-89%, whereas the Negs are around 84-85%.
   Trust me, they do everything to make as perfect a donor match for their patients as possible. Generally, they don't use organs from someone with an unknown/poor history of health.
   Hope this clears things up a bit. Just wondering, pacerintl, are you a candidate for transplantation?

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:56:39 pm »
I'm very surprised they didn't do more frequent HIV and Hep testing prior to the transplant.  I would have thought they'd do at least 2 with the last one being within a week of the transplant.  Actually, I'm surprised the donor was even allowed to donate, since he admitted to having sex with men in the past.  I thought organ donation had basically the same ban as blood donation.  Unfortunately, this will be used as another example as why gay men should not be allowed to donate blood or organs.  

I'm wondering whether the donor knew the patient.  You usually see live donors donating to someone they know.  How awful to give HIV to anyone, but someone you know very well would be extra hard.  I suppose this guy could have just wanted to donate to anyone in need.  I guess there are really caring people like that.

Modified:

The more I think about this, the more I think this guy was not only very giving, but also selfish at the same time.  It is obvious he had unprotected sex after beginning the process of donation.  He should have refrained from unprotected sex, but we all make mistakes.  He should have definitely told doctors about the unprotected sex, so more testing could have been done.  They should have been doing the testing anyway.  This reminds me of the blood donation situation.  They ask people questions.  If you say you haven't been with a man or been a prostitute, then you're basically good to go.  They are relying on people being honest (which being gay doesn't mean you have HIV) instead of science and good testing.   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:11:59 am by tednlou2 »

Offline Stanley5739

• Trying to make my way and help
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:10:04 am »
 ???
I admit ignorance on this subject.  I had always been an organ volunteer prior to seroconversion.  Now I wonder whether it is feasible for fully identified HIV+ organ donors to donate their organs to HIV+ positive people in need of a transplant.  Again, my lack of knowledge here is great.  But if specific types of HIV can be identified, could there be a match that would help the recipient without increasing their risk?  Of course resistance to drugs between donor and recipient might also be an issue.  I would be interested in learning from others who have expertise or have done research on this.  Similar questions I ask myself include whether donated blood from someone who has clearly identified themselves as HIV+ be useful for research or for already HIV+ patients.  And, just to round things out, I haven't talked to my doctor about this yet but would be interested if anyone knows how valuable it would be to medical studies if I donated my corpse after I go.  This is a painful topic for people who have lost loved ones so I apologize in advance if this last question is stupid or inadvertently cruel.  I am just asking myself variations on the question what more can be done.   I also am torn between stockpiling my atripla for the day when I lose my job and those who need it now.  To the extent others have thought about this, I would be interested in that.  Sorry if this is a little off topic.
07/15/10 VL Undetectable, CD4 count 634, CD4 21%
06/02/10 VL Undetectable, CD4 count 544, CD4 30%,  BP 133/88
04/23/2010 VL 184, CD4 count 744, CD4 26%,
03/01/2010 VL 106, CD4 count 744, CD4 26%,    
01/21/2010 VL 85, CD4 count 531, CD4 23%
12/14/2009 VL 50, CD4 count 470   
11/04/2009 VL 18,199, CD4 count 686, CD4 23% - Began Atripla
10/05/2009 VL 60,565, CD4 count 758, CD4 27%   
09/09/2009 VL 323,000, CD4 count 545, CD4 18% - Tested positive

Offline littleprince

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:26:23 am »
I wonder if HIV+ organs will one day be offered to HIV- people? There are many instances where a person will die without transplant so you would think that getting a HIV+ organ , living and then having to take meds for the rest of your life is still better than the alternative... death. And considering that life expectancy after some transplants is quite low is it really worth worrying about the much lower chance of dieing from HIV?

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »
I had thought they already were offered to HIV - patients.   ???  The waiting list for organs is so long, people who are waiting often have to accept organs from people who don't have the best medical histories.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.