Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:20:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 714
Total: 715

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Universe of Keith Haring  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
The Universe of Keith Haring
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:37:15 pm »
LOGO channel is showing the new Haring documentary tonight at 6 PM (EST) and I thought some of you might be interested.  He's one of my favorite artists, and he passed away from AIDS exactly 2 months after I moved to NYC, so I recall it clearly.  Oddly right after that I became acquainted with a couple of his ex-boyfriends, and I know one is still around.  There's also an old Haring mural about 6 blocks from where I live and if I get up the mood I'll walk over and take a picture of it... though over that direction the hood gets a bit dicey.

Oh, Rizzoli just published a GREAT coffee table book on Haring, following the large retrospective that Deitch Gallery did in January.  I missed the show but snagged the book -- it's also great in being a diary of sorts for the 80's in NYC with all sorts of great personal photos, etc.

http://www.haring.com/universe_of_haring/
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline komnaes

Re: The Universe of Keith Haring
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:15:21 am »
Haring definitely died too young.. he would only be 51 this year if he was still alive.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:28:49 am »
For a couple of years (90-92) I lived about 3 blocks from Pop Shop.  It closed just 4 years ago.  Oddly I never bought anything from it.  I had a friend who was obsessed.

Oh, and his ex-bf Juan (well, Juan #2 as there was a #1) was in the film and looked so young.  Did I mention he's REALLY REALLY HUNG?

And for some extra credit name dropping I used to party around that same time with Robert Mapplethorpe's younger brother, Eddie.  He was straight and chasing after my Chinese hag.  You know, she lives in Hong Kong now -- she's very, very fierce.  You'd love her.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:31:30 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:38:19 am »
Oh, and speaking of excellent documentaries on AIDS folks, have you seen The Nomi Song about Klaus Nomi?  Really great one.  He was basically the first "famous" person I remember the death of, as it was 1983.

There's also a new one about Arthur Russell, though he's less well known except in certain circles -- but he was absolutely seminal as a musician and completely ahead of his time.  If you don't know his work I highly recommend obtaining a copy of The World of Arthur Russell 2004 Soul Jazz Records or this one.  Here's the link to his documentary, which I've not seen yet:

http://www.arthurrussellmovie.com
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:42:19 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:03:29 pm »
I still feel blessed that I got to know Keith Haring, if only tangentially, the year before he died.  He started attending ACT UP meetings.  I was head of the fundraising committee at the time, and helped us out big time.  Whenever the bank account ran a little low, he would ask me to stop by his studio (an amazing place, as I remember it), and he'd hand me a thick white envelope filled with hundred dollar bills.  Some of his clients would buy his art in cash, so he'd just give us some of it to help out.

He was always the sweetest guy.

Then, on that sad day he died, ACT UP had a previously scheduled fundraiser at The Lesbian & Gay Community Center on 13th Street.  It was a talent show followed by a slumber party.  Yup -- a bunch of us spent the night sleeping at The Center in our sleeping bags.  Needless to say, all sorts of shenanigans happened that night.

I hooked up with another ACT UPer I'd been flirting with since day one, and we both decided to honor Keith's memory by giving each other blow jobs in the bathroom surrounded by Keith's recently painted sex mural.  We thought it a very fitting tribute indeed.

Ahh..  those were the days.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 02:21:54 pm »
I always suspected there was an ulterior motive to the fervor of the hardcore ACT UP'ers.

Here is a picture of the Haring model near my apartment:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:43:48 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:53:45 pm »
Here's a nice pic of just one corner of Haring's work in The Center's men's bathroom.  The entire bathroom was painted like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominiquejames/2673634480/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:59:42 pm by Peter Staley »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:07:14 pm »
Yeah, I remember when I first moved there and someone took me to see that.  It's definitely the most amazing one.  Sad to read it's usually locked now.

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:05:18 pm »
Thom and I are the very fortunate owners of Keith Haring's lithograph entitled "FIGHT AIDS WORLDWIDE", numbered 941/1000 and issued on 16 March 1990 by the World Federation of United Nations Associations.

This addition to our art collection is a gift from a long time friend of mine.  Thanks, Dave.

PS  Dave may be joining us at AMG this year.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:10:19 pm by Ric Wilke »

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:24:24 pm »
The first piece of art I ever bought was a Keith Haring.  It's hanging in my entrance hall right now.  Funny, it's just always been there.  When I was a freshly out young boy, I was so excited to get it.  It meant so much because he was THE symbol of being out in the 80s.  Everyone and everything gay had a Keith Haring logo of some kind.   There are times that I've thought about taking it down.   That maybe it has run its course in my life and maybe it should go.  I'm no longer young.  Being gay seems blase to me.  My taste in art has changed.

Yet, I don't.   

Annie Liebowitz did a portrait of Keith that I have always found oddly attractive and expressive of Keith at the same time.   Everything about Keith's art was odd.  Yet, it seems to be accessible, whimsical, fun.  It takes over your space.  It is clean and dirty at the same time.  In many ways I think his art reflects my life.  It's odd.  It does things its own way.   There won't ever be anyone you can confuse with Keith Haring.  So, the print stays. 

Thanks for posting this Miss P.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.