Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:05:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 650
Total: 651

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: UK - Public attitudes on HIV stuck in 1980s  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
UK - Public attitudes on HIV stuck in 1980s
« on: August 28, 2023, 10:39:05 am »
Terrence Higgins Trust - July 2023
https://www.tht.org.uk/news/public-attitudes-hiv-stuck-1980s

Forty years since Terrence Higgins became the UK’s first named person to die of an AIDS-related illness on 4 July 1982, the Government’s AIDS awareness advert from 1987 – with actor John Hurt’s haunting delivery of 'it’s a deadly disease with no known cure' to a backdrop of falling tombstones – continues to cast a damaging shadow over the public’s perception of HIV.

The data from YouGov polling of over 2,000 Brits shows that almost half of people (48%) remember the tombstones campaign, with that rising to three quarters (76%) in 45-54 year olds and 70% in those aged 55 and over.

The advert from 1987 was accurate at the time and undoubtedly saved countless lives. It says of HIV: 'It is a deadly disease and there’s no known cure. The virus can be passed during sexual intercourse with an infected person. If you ignore AIDS, it could be the death of you'.

The research also found high levels of HIV related stigma 40 years since Terrence Higgins’ death, with just 30% of people saying they are comfortable dating someone living with HIV. While fewer than two in five (37%) would be comfortable kissing someone living with HIV. This comes despite it being clear since the start of the epidemic that HIV can’t be passed on through kissing or any other day-to-day contact including sharing cutlery or holding hands.

Similarly, only 21% of people say they would be comfortable having sex with someone living with HIV and on effective treatment – despite it being impossible for HIV to be passed on as medication suppresses the amount of virus to such low levels it can’t be detected or passed to anyone else. These numbers show a worrying disconnect between knowledge about HIV transmission and its impact on how people living with HIV are perceived and treated.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Re: UK - Public attitudes on HIV stuck in 1980s
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 10:42:26 am »
the Government’s AIDS awareness advert from 1987 – with actor John Hurt’s haunting delivery of 'it’s a deadly disease with no known cure' to a backdrop of falling tombstones

Yup, I remember the adds.

https://youtu.be/BHmWoHb6IGw
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 04:38:34 pm »
you know, I'm always saying that people only know about the diseases that affect them or their families. So as AIDS deaths declined and transmissions reduced fewer and fewer, thankfully, people were affected and learned about HIV. As soon as the peak of the deaths from the epidemic receded, so did people's concern... leaving them with only the messages that they had heard during the worst times.

today we see this same lack of knowledge in the forums all the time. AII? members ask questions about so many actions that are not risks for transmission. While their fears may be based on guilt (guilt over sex, sadly), their fears seem to be based on the tag line "it could be the death of you". Newly diagnosed, thrust into having to become knowledgeable about this disease now that they are affected, don't understand enough about the changes in treatment over the last 40+ yrs. to yet realize that HIV does not equal death either. Sometimes this lack of knowledge can be maddening to us "in the know"; yet for each of those worriers and newbies, there are literally millions of people just as ignorant about HIV.

Of course, in the long run this has a lot to do with sex. Sure there are plenty of people who get infected through substance abuse/injection needle; but the drug abuse clearly means many of those people are not making sound health decisions at the time of risk. But with sex, nearly everybody does it. The rate of STIs isn't high because of just at-risk groups; the rate is high because most people still don't take the appropriate precautions for sex. We're not trained to do that; instead we're often trained to not take precautions.

whose parents don't pass on their wish to be grandparents? How infrequent are condom ads or sexual health care public service announcements? For that matter, how often to ARVs or PrEP commercials mention condom usage? Quite frankly when does anyone get told to use condoms to prevent HIV or pregnancy? Going by the current rate of population growth, since every pregnancy or pregnancy scare was also a risk for HIV, it's amazing we're not drowning in HIV by our own ignorance.

I know. I know. It's a rant of mine. The three things main goals for all my advocacy work have been for more and better meds and access to those meds; mental health and peer support; and prevention.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 04:54:46 pm »
it's amazing we're not drowning in HIV by our own ignorance.

👏
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.