Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:58:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 385
Total: 387

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

What do you think is the most important "message" to send to college students about HIV/AIDS?

Get Tested/Know your status
16 (37.2%)
Safe Sex, everytime.
17 (39.5%)
HIV- Its not just a "Gay" disease
1 (2.3%)
HIV Facts, statistics,
3 (7%)
Other (Please post below)
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: What message should be sent to youth?  (Read 24503 times)

Offline chadly

What message should be sent to youth?
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:01:45 am »
Hello Everyone!

Thanks in advance for all your votes and replies.

Since my dx, I've felt the need to become active in preventing HIV.
My opportunity is here, and I'd like your help!

I'm a college student currently enrolled in a Film/Television Production class.  A requirement of the class is to create a 60 second commercial of our choice.
I've decided my commercial will be about HIV/AIDS.

I need your help in deciding what message to send to my audience--college students, 18-23.

I'm sure I'll post more polls over the next couple weeks, until then your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

THANKS!

Offline emeraldize

Re: What message should be sent to youth?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:06:43 am »
how about these?

You won't want a degree
in HIV.
Get tested and use protection
against infection.

or

Don't major in HIV.
against infection.

or

HIV is a worldwide sorority/fraternity
with no membership requirements.
Anyone can join, but no one should.
against infection.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 12:20:16 pm »
Chad,

Forget stats and factoids - you'll put people to sleep.

I think using phrases like "hiv is not just a gay disease" actually reinforces the stereotype. The take away message would once again tie the words hiv and gay together in the viewer's mind.

Concentrate on the main risk factor - unprotected intercourse - and don't even mention any so-called "risk groups". The only true "risk group" is the group of people who have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse and yes, that's a mighty big risk group. EVERYONE is at risk and it depends on the use or non-use of condoms, not social status or identity.

Put it in the language of your target audience. It sounds as though your audience is your peers, so you would know best in this regard.

Keep the actual text or voice-over short and to the point. There are three main points you need to get into people's minds - three is an optimum number of ideas a person can retain easily. Keep it simple: Hiv; use condoms, get tested.

Remember your target audience and maybe think music videos - flashy, quick moving, attention grabbing. You can make quite an impact with a simple message and the simpler, the better. Run it though your head like a mantra - hiv, condoms, testing... and see what comes up for you.

Hope you find something in my suggestions useful.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:54:14 pm »
HIV complicates everything!

For an easy life, get tested, use condoms.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 06:48:37 pm »
I honestly think that college people would get a harsh attitude about the facts....and I'm starting to think that we need to step on a lot of toes to get people to wake up...

Think of the following as a sort of filmed ala the Final Desitnation movies technique:

Some guy hitting on a girl/guy to fuck without a condom and before he/she answers we see a sort of montage of fast shots of her/him seeing himself/ herself at the doctor's office, being told he/she is poz, crying to his/her friends, drinking or drugging to deal, maybe dropping out of school saying it's all over...yadda yadda yadda.

Then the screen flashes back to present day where she/he realizes she saw a possible dark future for himself/herself and tells the guy to use a condom or forget it followed by the tag line:  "Don't play the helpless victim - demand a condom,"  or "Stop the drama - use a condom"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 06:54:39 pm by Iggy »

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 07:48:02 pm »
Some guy hitting on a girl/guy to fuck without a condom and before he/she answers we see a sort of montage of fast shots of her/him seeing himself/ herself at the doctor's office, being told he/she is poz, crying to his/her friends, drinking or drugging to deal, maybe dropping out of school saying it's all over...yadda yadda yadda.

Then the screen flashes back to present day where she/he realizes she saw a possible dark future for himself/herself and tells the guy to use a condom or forget it followed by the tag line:  "Don't play the helpless victim - demand a condom,"  or "Stop the drama - use a condom"

Nice I like it.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 07:57:35 pm »
Safe Sex Everytime!
You can't just trust someone telling you they don't have an STD (not just HIV, all STD's).  They might not even know that they have one.  The guy I started seeing and sleeping with just a few weeks ago thought he was negative based on an HIV test that was 8 months old.
Safe Sex Everytime!
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline chadly

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:17:56 am »
Thanks for all the ideas-

Great Idea Iggy.   Your post is exactly what I was thinking,  almost word for word...     have you been speaking with my telephone physic?  ;)

I really do agree that fact/stats are boring,  and I do tend to be more on the controversial side-    so yeah,  I'll prob step on toes even break a few... but broken bones pale in comparison.

Controversial as i may be,  I'd never use the phrase "hiv its not just a gay disease".     Its just something that I have experienced myself..  and I think that maybe sometimes hetro worry less about HIV transmission..  I feel it has been coined a gay thing.   Its a sex thing,  not based on sexual orientation.   

Ann, thanks for making my day :)    I guess they are my "peers"..    just ~15 years younger..  (I'm the old man on campus)

Thought I had last night..

Pan across a lecture hall..  kids slouched, sleeping, bored..  Instructor talking.. (inaudible)
Instructor slams a text book on the desk/table/floor  all the students are startled/wake up
then cut to instructor saying something like..    People, its time we wake up and pay attention to HIV/AID..
voice over with something insightful

cheesy?  lol

Offline chadly

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:21:42 am »
how about these?

You won't want a degree
in HIV.
against infection.

I like this one

Or hey, how about this idea..   voice over says.. "we all make stupid decisions"   and then cut to Britney's performance at the VMA..    "dont make stupid decisions..  use a condom every time!"    :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:25:53 am by chadly »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 10:38:19 am »
Thanks Chadly!

Using Britney as an example of stupid decisions could certainly backfire as she does have supporters and could dilute the strength of your message if it sidetracks a viewer.

Equally important, it "dates" your video and you want to have a longer shelf-life than anchoring to a current event that will soon fade. Ideally, you'll make something that's good enough that you'll actually get some air time for it.

What's your timeline for your project? When is the final video due?

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 02:06:25 pm »
You go, Chadly!

If you want a real challenge, I can put you in touch with a young friend who attends a Catholic high school in Baltimore and is mounting a big outreach at his school.... without mention of condoms or any sex other than man-woman within the confines of marriage.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline chadly

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 08:20:53 pm »
em, maybe my sarcasm didn't come thru in text..   the britney idea was a (apparently bad) joke..
 ::)

kind of like her performance..   lol

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:51 pm »
oooooooops. ya got me!

I'm gonna go find my black sequin bikini and maybe I'll run into my sense of sarcasm on the way. If it was thunter writing, I would have gotten it. But, now that I know your bent, I'll be on the lookout. 8)

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 06:00:56 pm »
Chad, here's something that I've come up with  ;D...

A keg party.  Everyone is, well, partying.  A room for the drinkers, a room for the orgy, a room for the drug users (that way they could be also identified as potential HIV victims).  And one or two from the orgy room could be wearing an HIV tee-shirt and same for the druggies to identify them.  I dunno, might be kinda hokey, but I'm a dork like that.

I really like
You won't want a degree
in HIV.
against infection.

or

Don't major in HIV.
against infection.
as a tag-line, but that's just my opinion.  Good luck with your project!  I hope you get an "A+".

Offline Iggy

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 03:47:35 pm »
Chad, here's something that I've come up with  ;D...

A keg party.  Everyone is, well, partying.  A room for the drinkers, a room for the orgy, a room for the drug users (that way they could be also identified as potential HIV victims).  And one or two from the orgy room could be wearing an HIV tee-shirt and same for the druggies to identify them.  I dunno, might be kinda hokey, but I'm a dork like that.

I do hope you are being facetious here.

Offline 404error

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 06:35:51 pm »
I'd want to speak to young hetero men to tell them this. 

Boys, wrap it up, everytime.  Sure, alot easier said than done and no ones perfect so I can't expect you to never fuck up.  What you need to realize is that living with HIV as a hetero male is tough, really tough.  There are no support services for you.  Misandric gender feminists have painted a grim picture of who you are and what you're all about.  Unfortunately for you, many of them are in charge of female only services and they do not like you.  Some of them flat out hate you, even moreso if you're white.  Sure you've never met them nor done them any harm but that doesn't matter, you're a heterosexual male and that's all it takes.  So do your best and try to use condoms everytime.  Even if you're in what is supposed to be a commited relationship use a condom.  I know it doesn't feel as good but is it really worth it to have one wild romp only to end up spending the rest of your life as a social pariah?  People make mistakes.  People cheat and people lie.  Often times these are good people who just found themselves in a comprimising situation and made the wrong decision.  Guys do it, girls do it too.  No one is perfect and no one is asking you to be but what you really need to do is protect yourself as well as your partner and until something better comes along, condoms are the best way to go.

A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 07:55:32 pm »
Misandric gender feminists have painted a grim picture of who you are and what you're all about.  Unfortunately for you, many of them are in charge of female only services and they do not like you.  Some of them flat out hate you, even more so if you're white.  Sure you've never met them nor done them any harm but that doesn't matter, you're a heterosexual male and that's all it takes. 

UpAllNight -- you've just come very close to being BannedforAllTime.  I won't tolerate hate-filled misogynistic speech on our forums. 

You've been warned.  The only response to this warning you should even consider posting publicly is an apology.  If you have a problem with my warning, feel free to send me a private message about it.  If you attempt to defend your words above, in any way, you'll be given an immediate 7 day time-out.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline Paulette

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 11:46:53 am »
you can always try this one.

Take a deck of cards/ take out the
10= your safe(you used protection)
jack=your pregnant
queen=you get herpes
king= another type of std
ace= you get hiv

shuffle the five cards and have the kids draw a card and let them see how much of a gamble it is for them have unprotected sex.

you'll find this is a fun way for kids/young adults to learn about the risk of unprotected sex. that's what my 9th grader's health teacher did.(my daughter said that the results were amazing of how many people who became poz(so to speak during the game) and that the kids really learned something in a fun way.
because the fact is no matter how much you preach about waiting til marriage, that doesn't seem to be working, teach them about safe sex because eventually they are gong to have it. i hope this helps.

Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline 404error

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 07:04:23 pm »
I would hereby like to apologize to all persons offended by this statement

Misandric gender feminists have painted a grim picture of who you are and what you're all about.  Unfortunately for you, many of them are in charge of female only services and they do not like you.  Some of them flat out hate you, even moreso if you're white.  Sure you've never met them nor done them any harm but that doesn't matter, you're a heterosexual male and that's all it takes.

I did not mean to offend anyone with this and it has come to my attention that it most assuredly did.  I don't want to paint all people with the same brush as I was in a foul mood at the time I posted this and really only have two experiences that lead me to feel this was an apt comment to make.  I know now that it wasn't at all appropriate and promise to do a better job of censoring my thoughts in the future.  Once again, I am sorry for any hurt feelings I may have caused.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Gaguy2know

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 02:53:14 am »
how about these?

You won't want a degree
in HIV.
against infection.

or

Don't major in HIV.
against infection.

or

HIV is a worldwide sorority/fraternity
with no membership requirements.
Anyone can join, but no one should.
against infection.

i like the top two the most and the third next best
Veni Vidi Vici
Carpe Diem

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 10:11:09 am »
Not certain  about the message, but avoid anything that carries "just say 'NO'" overtones.  Humans, particulary youth and young adults, want to rebel against being told to not do anything, so focusing on what not to do can be conter-productive.  Focus on the reinforcing the best behaviors to reduce risk.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline chadly

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 08:48:57 am »
Just to let everyone know,  I'm now 13 weeks out on this project.
I'll prob start story boarding it out in the next week or so.

Thanks to everyone!   I'll be sure to post my final project..

In the mid,  here's a bit of comic relief..   my latest insanity

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iNylsZTiyFw

Offline AWPIE51

How can the Community Support Our Youth
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 11:20:41 pm »
Hello I am a OutReach Worker/Peer Educator from Paterson New Jersey  where My God-Daughter and myself and 2 others just started a group called AWPIE  (((meaning))) A Working Process in Entertainment where we have 50 Youth that are involed with us also  in order to get involed the first step is to Get Tested  and the second step is  to open up if you are going threw anything but if you dont want to Share in Group you DON'T HAVE TOO  But I want you to know that 17 Youth have been Tested and we have reach out to the Parnets and it is really working all we have to do is just Stop Look and Listen and  Let Go and Let God and remember Each One, Reach One, Teach One  and my motto...Life is Worth Living  and as we say in AWPIE... let me let you no,,,No Let Us Let You Know ...That I'm Aware and you should no ....AWPIE

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jblove

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 12:50:06 pm »
I am an HIV/AIDS educator/activist who has seen a number of slogans.

One I like a lot is, "The More You Score, The Greater Your Risk."

Let us know when you chose and when we can expect to see it.

Thanks for doing this,

Blessed Be

Jim

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 02:42:23 pm »
I am an HIV/AIDS educator/activist who has seen a number of slogans.

One I like a lot is, "The More You Score, The Greater Your Risk."

Let us know when you chose and when we can expect to see it.

Thanks for doing this,

Blessed Be

Jim

That has got to be the worst f'ing slogan I ever heard in my life.

While don't we just put a sign on some guy coming out of a bathhouse and say "He must have the AIDS"

Sorry for the slight rant but I thought we were educating and not moralizing.  It;'s not the number of partners that increase the risk, it's the unsafe sex practices that one engages in that does.

Offline nolapozguy68

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:42 pm »
i think we all need to not only look at college students but kids 12,13,14 are having unprotected sex I'm a AIDS/HIV housing case worker in new Orleans we need to get into middle schools to get the safe sex word out colledge students REALLY SHOULD ALLREADY KNOW ABOUT SAFE SEX
AIDS/HIV housing case manager for non profit in new Orleans 40 years old poz for4 years healthy guy who cant find a normal gay man to love me.......

Offline Paolo Tucson

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 08:03:42 pm »
I wish a catchy slogan would do it.  I wish a cool poster would do it.  I wish an event would do it. What will do it is if we talk with not too youth.  They will respect our wisdom if we respect their youth.  I have a son, adopted, who is also gay.  I recently addressed this issue in my blog you can find it here at this address, please read and please don't rely on slogans alone to reach our youth.

http://paolo055.vox.com/

Thanks,
Paolo Presta
Proud Gay Dad
Some die that we may have hope, some because they have none.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 12:05:28 am »
I said "Other" because they should be told the TRUTH!!!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 12:51:52 pm »
Chadly,

It has been my recent experience in my neck of the woods, (Southeast corner of Arizona, very Mormon, and indigenous Mexican) that a presentation not even mentioning condoms has been the most successful.

One has to adapt to a message that "Empowers" each individual to guard themselves against being tempted to engage in any kind of unprotected sex.  This has been acomplished by emphasizing their intrinsic self worth, and the fact that they have the power to say no.  I have always been more successful in teaching the power of selfworth, over the negative warnigngs against the dangers of unprotected  sex.  Most of all, kids are impervious to anything bad happening to them, at least in their own eyes, so they tend to shun negative messages of any kind.  I always help girls and women to connect with their feminine power and to protect themselves at all costs.  I also direct messages to gay boys, by accepting the fact that some who are listening to you are gay, and the message seems to sink in for some reason.  I have had high school kids come up to me at health fairs and thank me for reminding them of their worth, sometimes two years later.  Self respect messages really do impact kids.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline atlq

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 01:12:27 pm »
...."Get off my lawn!...."

(just a little levity there...the ideas are great...good luck!...)
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 07:38:08 pm »
This topic is superb, and I will be keeping an eye on it as more ideas pop up:p

Me being in the same position and whatnot, well, somewhat. In addition to youth prevention,  I'm really looking for a way to get more information out to youth, especially new poz youth, in my community. don't get me wrong, there are some awesome support groups and whatnot in the area, but there needs to be more out there in the way of informing people in our age group that there are people and places to go to, and that there are people  out there that they can relate to, as the support groups are rather hard to find, if you don't already know that they're there (or do some expansive research). NOTE: This is just speciic to my area, not in general, as I don't know about other communities:p

So, in addition to prevention awareness, what kinds of way do you guys recommend / see out and about/ that can help with getting hiv+ youth the message about their options for services and support?

A prime example, the city of Chicago has just recently opened an enourmous gay and lesbian center, that has a very expansive HIV/AIDS sector, especially in the way of youth advocacy. It not only gives gay/lesbian youth a sort of safe haven of sorts, it also allows positive youth to have access to services and support that they would probably never know about. Ohhh how I miss thee, Chicago :/

I'm just getting started in the way of [pro]activism with HIVV/AIDS, so I'm an open book  ;D

-Gian-Luca
[.Fodão.]

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.