Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:14:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 324
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: what time to take meds?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline bill1322

• this summer after I cut off the pony tail
what time to take meds?
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:38:16 pm »
hello, this is my first post.

I started taking Emtriva instead of Videx (DDI) about a month ago because I started having peripheral neuropathy in my feet. I also take Viramune and Viread, my Tcells are 750 and VL is undetectable. I'm having stomach unpleasantness and spending a lot of time in the bathroom. I always took my meds in the morning with breakfast and a second Viramune at bedtime.

I wondered if reversing that might help my stomach feel better. Does anyone know about taking the 3 meds at bedtime? What kind of side effects might that have? I take a calcium +vit D at bedtime also.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks,

Bill

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: what time to take meds?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:52:43 am »
Bill -- I haven't heard of folks being able to reduce stomach issues by changing the dosing time of their meds.  But maybe others might chime in with suggestions.

Welcome to our forums!

Peter

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:36:38 pm »
Hello ,

I take one Viramune and the Epzicom at 8:00 AM, and the other Viramune and Viread at 8:00 PM.

For me, I prefer to take the Epzicom ( since it's two drugs), in the morning. I work the night shift, (11:00 to 7:00) and it seems easier for me to get through the start of the night after taking Viramune and Viread at night. I tried it the other way around ( Viramune and Epzicom at night) and didn't like it.

Bill you need to bring these stomach issues up with your doctor, and see if some other tests may be in order. Being on two of the meds that you are on, I always try to have something in my gut a half hour before taking them. I haven't really had any serious issues with the gut, no matter which ones I take first or last.

Hope you get these issues resolved. Make sure to talk to your doc. Let us know how you do.

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bill1322

• this summer after I cut off the pony tail
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:13:10 am »
I have now checked with the doctor who says I should take the meds anytime that works for me. My stomach issues are most likely acid reflux caused by the meds.

So now I take one Viramune, the Viread and the Emtriva when I go to bed. I also take a large fish oil and a calcium supplement then. (Someone told me it's like drinking a glass of warm milk - helps you sleep - and it does.)

I take the other Viramune with a little food and coffee in the morning, along with another fish oil and a Cymbalta (for depression and PN pain - 2 in 1)

Then around lunchtime I take the multi vitamin, Vit. E, B12, etc, and another fish oil.

This all seems to be working out well and my stomach issues are easing. I have cut down the amount of coffee I drink and that seems to help also.

The doc prescribed Protonix for the acid reflux, but the insurance does not want to pay for that and insists I have Nexium instead. I'm supposed to take that on an empty stomach - I haven't figured out when that is yet - but the pills haven't come from the mail-order pharmacy yet either.

I go back to the ID doc next month for blood work to see if the change from Videx to Emtriva is effective. The PN seems to be easing a bit and I expect my triglycerides to be down some from all the fish oil.

Things are looking up!  :)

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:32:02 am »
Hi Bill

I take Protonix in the morning with my Epzicom - the indigestion has now stopped- i take them both on an empty stomach
Buzz ♥

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:23:23 pm »
Hey Bill,

I take Protonix in the morning too. It is basically the same thing as Nexium. Both work well for me.

I usually take my Protonix and Claritin first thing in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

I take the rest of my meds (Lexiva, Combivir, Norvir and Naproxen Sodium, also known as generic Aleve), after I eat my breakfast.

It seems to work fine for me unless I fail to eat enough and the Norvir gives me a sour stomach.

Try it and see how it works for you.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:25:08 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.