HIV Prevention and Testing > How Can I Prevent HIV?

Test for Truvada levels? (Tested poz)

(1/5) > >>

testedpoz12156:
Hey guys -

So I tested poz twice in rapid blood tests at a clinic and am waiting for confirmation, but I've been taking prep every day for several months. I'm interested in verifying my Truvada levels for the sake of being useful down the road in case my case is unusual (I know people will say "oh you weren't adherent.") I asked my doc about a Truvada levels test and he said they can't do that through his office / the regular lab. Do you know where I might go to get that done? 

testedpoz12156:
This may be in the wrong forum (I can't figure out quite where to post) so feel free to lock or move to the appropriate place.

I tested poz twice in rapid blood tests at a clinic and am waiting for confirmation, but I've been taking prep every day for several months. I'm interested in verifying my Truvada levels for the sake of being useful down the road in case my case is unusual (I know people will say "oh, you weren't adherent.") I asked my doc about a Truvada levels test and he said they can't do that through his office / the regular lab. Does anyone know where I might go to get that done? Has anyone had it done here?

AusShep:
I'm not sure what you hope to gain, you'll be testing your levels now, not when you were (likely) infected.  Also, has your Dr instructed you to stop taking the Truvada right now due to resistance likelihood and for genome testing?

I'm curios though, is this your first checkup/monitoring since starting PrEP?  Was a viral load test done immediately before starting medication?  Any risky sex from two before starting to two weeks after starting?

tednlou2:
I have never heard of a test, which measures the amount of Truvada or any HIV med in your body.  I suppose since there are tests for controlled substances, it may be possible.  However, those are existing tests, looking for illegal substances and pain clinics use it to make sure you're taking your prescribed pain med.

If there is such a test, I would imagine it could only measure the amount in your bloodstream for that day.  It would not indicate whether you've been adherent for weeks or months.  It wouldn't be able to say someone had taken their PrEP, when someone was infected.  As with the tests pain clinics use to see if you have the pain med in your system, it can't tell whether you took the med weeks ago. 

bocker3:
It is possible that you could have a Therapeutic Drug Monitoring test done -- not sure if they have it for the components of Truvada (which is 2 drugs), but I bet if you contact a national lab, like LabCorp or Quest and ask they might be able to help find a location.  What this could do is tell if you are absorbing the meds as expected by checking to see if you reach the therapeutically effective amount in your blood.
Of course, it will be costly and your insurance is not likely to cover it.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version