HIV Prevention and Testing > How Can I Prevent HIV?

The Truvada Revolution

(1/2) > >>

zach:
Good documentary

The End of HIV? - The Truvada Revolution
 (Part 1/3) http://www.vice.com/video/stopping-hiv-with-the-truvada-revolution-part-1-111

Richie_R2:
Wow, that's amazing. Thanks Zach! My fiancee and I are looking into PrEP right now because we want to try to have another kid (if I can, after testicular cancer surgery and radiation), and this is very important to us. No other method allows for the possibility... even the foams and such they had pushed before were also spermicidal.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Richie_R2 on June 03, 2015, 03:26:44 pm ---No other method allows for the possibility

--- End quote ---
except for the method of you having a sustained undetectable viral load ;)
of course, you could throw a little PrEP in there for insurance.

http://www.aidsmap.com/No-one-with-an-undetectable-viral-load-gay-or-heterosexual-transmits-HIV-in-first-two-years-of-PARTNER-study/page/2832748/

--- Quote ---No-one with an undetectable viral load, gay or heterosexual, transmits HIV in first two years of PARTNER study
When asked what the study tells us about the chance of someone with an undetectable viral load  transmitting HIV, presenter Alison Rodger said: "Our best estimate is it's zero."
--- End quote ---

Richie_R2:
Good point, Leatherman. And she's also a biologist, and her aunt is an ID doctor, so she knows the details of that. But PrEP is an added layer of protection we are looking into. I guess I omitted that "sustained undetectable" because of the trials and being told for nearly a decade by those in power over me that I was insane (literally, told I was insane, as in criminally unstable, and thus unfit for release back into the world) for holding that opinion. Geezus it's depressing to think of why I'd leave out such an obvious and well-known element of our already-existing strategy, which we are already practicing. *sigh*

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Richie_R2 on June 03, 2015, 08:20:40 pm ---But PrEP is an added layer of protection we are looking into.

--- End quote ---
depending where you live it can be very tricky getting PrEP. First is the problem of finding a doc who will even write the script. then there's the problem of payment. Many insurances won't cover it yet, while ADAP and other plans will only pay for Truvada if the patient is poz.

I think there are only 2 docs in the whole state of SC who will prescribe PrEP (one in Columbia and one in Rock Hill) However, in a good move, the SC HIV Planning Council and SC DHEC [state health dpt] are looking into ways the State (through ADAP or funding sources) might be able to assist with the purchase of PrEP (which is a pretty damned progressive view from the health dpt. in such a red, red state)

Hopefully you'll be able to make everything to work out. Good luck and have fun making that kid  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version