Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2021, 05:05:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 762067
  • Total Topics: 64705
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 92
Total: 93

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Living With HIV / Dexascan Results
« Last post by MitchMiller on Today at 03:01:16 am »
I had my first dexascan.  I'm 65, caucasian male, thin build.  I read through some old posts and my results seem to be better than those posted, but still lower than average for my demographic.  Just wondering if anyone else near my age has had a scan recently.

TScores:
Left hip:  -1.2  Right hip:  -1.1
L1 - L4 of the spine:  -1.5

Mineral density:
Left hip (left femoral neck): 0.866 gm/cm2
Right hip (right femoral neck):  0.885
L1 - L4:  1.009

Based on the chart in this article (about 3/4 from the top), the average TScore for a 65 year old male is about -.65; for an 80 year old male is about -1.1.  However, they don't seem to break it out by race or body type so it's probably a bit lower when restricted to thin caucasians. 

https://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opbmdtz.html

Hellooo I'm here for giving and taking support... At this early stage after my diagnosis I need more talk and confirmation from all you and medical maybe persons here...
That we will succeed to have some good quality of life until 60-70.
Now I have these kidney pains hoping to soon have this artificial kidney.

But nobody knows or answers me this...
We , plhiv , will we be candidates for taking one when it comes?

You need to see an urologist for your pain. They will probably go for an ecographic scan and see if you have any calculi or "sand". You can get treatment for this afterwards such as ultrasound to break the calculi.
You need to organise yourself first, though.
Continuing with HAART and ID doctor's advises is top priority.
But you also need to get help with your health and generalized anxiety issues. We all understand these are hard times for you, you are also facing some personal / relationship issues as well, so going for psychotherapy and/or psychiatric appointments would really help you out. We really mean this well, please take it into account.
Take care
Good morning there.

Even with a better (seem to..) immune now, I have this oral thrush for a week already today... Should I worry for some precancerous condition or is it something that will be resolve itself???

It's only 1-2 sq cms between cheek and gums ..
Should I go to dentist, stomatologist?
Or to my hiv clinic?

Maybe it's from ART?

Here in Argentina, oral thrush (candidiasis) is generally treated with a Nystatin 100.000 IU solution that you gave to keep it in your mouth and make gargles with it for about 5 minutes and then spit it. This is meant to be done every 6 hours for at least 5-7 days.
Did your MD give you treatment for it?https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-8893-8206/nystatin-oral/nystatin-suspension-oral/details
Living With HIV / Re: Changed med from Atripla to Dovato
« Last post by CircularNatural on Today at 12:59:28 am »
I'm on "generic Dovato" from another lab here in Argentina called Zevuvir L Pack ( essentially, they grab a Dolutegravir pill and pack it side by side to a Lamivudine pill - coming in blister packs. So far, it's been 45 days on it, and feel no side effects.
Havent had my first blood check up still.
The key here is adherence. I write dates on en pill pack with a permanent marker on the blister pack so I don't skip doses.
Hope everything goes well in your treatment.
Best regards!
Off Topic Forum / Re: YouTube Links for the Day
« Last post by J.R.E. on Yesterday at 04:19:55 pm »
Key and Pelee - Clear Cookies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu73ng-W60o

;D :P

Do I Have HIV? / Re: What is the level of exposure here?
« Last post by Jim Allen on Yesterday at 02:19:09 pm »
Hiya,

My answer and that of your healthcare provider already presume all these what if's and then some. Nothing you add is going to be something not already taken into account.

So if you had gaping open holes in your head and they had untreated HIV with a high viral load the risk would be minute and I would be telling you to move on with your life.

Jim.
Living With HIV / Re: COVID-19 Vaccine
« Last post by Bucklandbury on Yesterday at 02:02:05 pm »
нет!

https://bhekisisa.org/health-news-south-africa/2021-10-20-the-verdict-is-in-and-sputnik-v-is-out/

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)32156-5/fulltext

The conclusion of this consensus conference warned that non-HIV vaccine trials that used similar vectors in areas of high HIV prevalence could lead to an increased risk of HIV-1 acquisition in the vaccinated population. The increased risk of HIV-1 acquisition appeared to be limited to men; a similar increase in risk was not seen in women in the Phambili trial.
« Last post by scrlbloo on Yesterday at 01:25:11 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Jim! I have one last question mainly to just ease my worries.

In a hypothetical scenario, lets say  there was a high viral load, and bleeding gums involved, does  that shoot the chance from "low to negligible risk" to "high-risk", or would oral still be considered  little to no risk in that sense? Or would the "mouth wounds" required for this type of transmission to occur generally have to be major, bloody, noticeable wounds?
« Last post by Jim Allen on Yesterday at 01:20:11 pm »
Hiya,

Mutual handjobs isn't an HIV risk and what you posted isn't HIV specific, and issues starting a few days later has nothing at all to do with HIV from this encounter.

Regarding the blowjob, I agree with your healthcare provider that testing over this would be excessive. Getting into the merry-go-round of testing over nothing isn't healthy.

Gum recession makes no difference, the mouth generally lacks a route for HIV to infect, and saliva also acts to neutralize HIV by damaging the receptors needed to infect human cells. It's such a minute risk that we don't recommend specifically testing over it.

Move on with your life and just test as you are sexually active yearly out of routine for STI's & HIV.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about taking PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get tested regularly and at least yearly for STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and, the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" The forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
Look I think at the start of this thread you mentioned pre-existing kidney issues and pains, we did mention you need to talk to your healthcare provider about this discomfort.

As for the device, I don't see why you need it and by the time you might, it could be obsolete already, however, the doctors currently providing you with care for your renal issues might know the answer to your question. I know in the thread we already covered that transplants are also possible nowadays between people living with HIV.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.