Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:21:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 613
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cd4= 134 means i have AIDS...  (Read 8204 times)

Offline prettyfighting1

cd4= 134 means i have AIDS...
« on: August 08, 2009, 04:13:16 am »
i just got my bloodwork last week, and im so disappointed, my cd4 is only 134 and it means i have aids? but i feel healthy... Im very young at the age of 22 for aids, and im not ready for meds :( my family still dont know about my situation, anyone please some advice and moral support...

Offline komnaes

Re: cd4= 134 means i have AIDS...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:59:03 am »
To answer your question, a CD4 below 200 or percentage lower than 14% is considered to have AIDS according to the US Centers for Disease Control. It's a sign that your immune system is under a lot of stress and the virus has done some damages to it.

It doesn't matter whether you're ready for it or not, or whether to let your family know or not. It's important that you get the medical attention that you need. Have you contacted any local supports, like the UNAIDS:

http://unaids.blogspot.com/2009/08/hiv-phone-counseling-h-o-t-l-i-n-e-s.html

There are also resources listed in the Youth AIDS Filipinas Alliance:

http://www.youthaidsfilipinasalliance.org/
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:36:52 am »
prettyfighting1, I'm sorry to hear the news.  However, I'm glad to hear that you found out about your count before developing an opportunistic infection. I only found out my CD4 was 165 when I came down with PCP pneumonia.   As komnaes said, you should definitely get the needed medical attention before you get an O.I.  You can worry about telling your family later.  You will pull through this.  Take care of yourself and good luck.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:04:24 am »
You are in a small village in the Phillippines, and you don't want anyone to know.  OK so working with that situation, what access do you have to medical care, doctors and medicine?? 
Try not to focus on defining yourself as having AIDS or not.  Your country may have a different definition than the US definition.  What is most important is that you need to KNOW that highly effective treatment exists for HIV.  What is your access to that treatment, when you need it. You also need to get expert health advice.  Who is going to help you understand your own health?  You can't understand it yourself.
If you feel healthy, that is a GREAT encouraging sign that you are strong. So you really need to get attention to see if you need treatment now, or if you are a recent converter and your CD4s may be going up, soon. 

So if you want, share with us a bit what the options are for you - for finding some health experts...

Good wishes.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline webontheweb

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:02:48 am »
Hey prettyfighting- while having a cd4 below 300 is ONE of the factors in determing AIDS or NO AIDS you have to have an OI also.  You do NOT HAVE AIDS.  just a low cd4 count.  I also found out that i was positive and had a count of 134.  I am fine, have never been sick.  
I hope you find a good treatment center and can get on medication right away.  You should be just fine.  Lots of people started out right where you are or had even lower numbers.  My partner was cd4 of 10 now is about 457 so keep going!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:34:30 pm by webontheweb »

Offline prettyfighting1

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:38:23 am »
thanks everyone!!! I really feel healthy nowadays with a recent 134 cd4 counts, never had a serious sick for the past years.. This week im going to my doctor and im going to bring my elder sister with me and that will be the time i will tell her the truth about my real condition, I know it will help me a lot telling the truth to my family coz im going to start my meds i hope and pray that everything will be fine, no side effects and my meds will do great work to fight my HIV...

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:49:28 am »
Hey prettyfighting- while having a cd4 below 300 is ONE of the factors in determing AIDS or NO AIDS you have to have an OI also.  You do NOT HAVE AIDS.  just a low cd4 count.

As far as the US CDC is concerned, a low CD4 count or CD4 percentage alone is sufficient to be counted as AIDS for surveillance purpose, even without an opportunistic infection.

See
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00018871.htm

In particular, under "EXPANSION OF THE CDC SURVEILLANCE CASE DEFINITION FOR AIDS" :

"Based on information presented and reviewed during the public comment period and at the open meeting, CDC, in collaboration with CSTE, has expanded the AIDS surveillance case definition to include all HIV-infected persons with CD4+ T- lymphocyte counts of less than 200 cells/uL or a CD4+ percentage of less than 14"

Now, it is good that the original poster has not had an O.I., but with these lab numbers he is at greater risk for contracting them, if he does not get treatment.

Offline prettyfighting1

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 10:44:17 am »
im going to start my treatment, i hope nextweek, worried, afraid, and nervous of side effects ( im praying to God that no bad side effects).. Im just thinking that meds are working great now, and atleast i will be doing something to fight this virus.. guys please pray for me and some good thought about taking my meds.. im praying too that theres no OI coming anymore...healthy body! beautiful face and good career for me!!! no more alcohol, no more smoking, and no more late nights fun! takecare for all..

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:08:57 pm »
thanks everyone!!! I really feel healthy nowadays with a recent 134 cd4 counts, never had a serious sick for the past years.. This week im going to my doctor and im going to bring my elder sister with me and that will be the time i will tell her the truth about my real condition, I know it will help me a lot telling the truth to my family coz im going to start my meds i hope and pray that everything will be fine, no side effects and my meds will do great work to fight my HIV...

BE STRONG! That's a great plan!

You'll be able to handle the side effects of your new ARVs. Just allow some time.

You have "clinical AIDS" according to the US CDC definition. This definition is critical in the US because it is used to determine who gets what kind of financial/medical assistance. Lots of people with your numbers (or far worse) do improve greatly; they're right here, posting, years and years later! You also report GREAT health, no illnesses (OI's). You ARE young, but that's an asset more than a problem.

Be sure, if anyone disappoints you---doesn't love and support you---YOU WILL FOLLOW through and get the medicine, tests, eat well, exercise, everything to live A LONG, healthy, and rewarding life. You would be better off with meds (ARV) now, of course. We care about you.

Wishing you good blessings,
 8)  -megasept

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:59:44 pm by megasept »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:49:14 pm »
Hi Pretty~

I'm glad to hear that you're going to be getting treatment.  I know you must be so worried right now, but mecch said it well -- try not to focus on defining yourself as having AIDS.  Remember that you have a chance to fight this thing, like we all have.  It would be different if you didn't have access to meds, but you DO.  Don't pass up that opportunity.

I had just tuned 24 when I tested pos.  That was in December 1993.  Many of us here are LTSs, Long-Term Survivors.  I know you are nervous and scared right now but please make sure you take care of yourself and adhere to your meds.  There are so many options available today.  Be open with your doc about any side effects that may bother you and communicate everything to your doc. 

I didn't tell my family for 5 years that I was pos -- by then I had already married the man who passed the virus to me knowingly.  He didn't take his meds, he didn't even TRY.  It breaks my heart what my late husband did, on many levels, but I am still HERE.  We are all HERE and we have a chance every day to fight this thing.  August 21st marks 13 years since my husband died, because he didn't DO anything to help himself.

You have already taken a step in the right direction.  Please keep us posted as to how you're doing.  :)

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.