Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:09:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 464
Total: 467

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Current experiences with Egrifta  (Read 10913 times)

Offline DrEvel1

Current experiences with Egrifta
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:15:23 am »
I just found this forum, and it's been quite helpful already. But there didn't seem to be a currently active Egrifta thread, and I thought it might be helpful to share come new experiences.

I've been on Egrifta now for about 2 months, and I've recently begun to notice some of the things noted in earlier posts - most specifically, the softening of the stomach fat from its previously hard state. In fact, as I heaved myself up from my chair today, I noticed that I've actually begun to jiggle some. I haven't really lost any weight yet (though I am aware that some old clothes now fit again), but I have hopes. Without the info from this forum, I don't know if I'd really have noticed the softening, which is really quite encouraging. Give thanks for the age of the internet that allows such peer-to-peer sharing!

Oddly enough, I put on the 40 or so extra pounds that I'm carting around in less than three months. My doctor had changed one of my blood pressure meds, and discounted my reports that I seemed to be gaining alarming weight as just another complaint from and old fat man (NB: I was NOT fat until this!) When I finally convinced her that there was a problem and she changed the BP med, the gain stopped, but the damage had been done - up to almost 200 pounds, when I had never weighed moire than 160 before. I've had no luck at all trying to get rid of it. I have back problems that complicate getting any exercise; imagine trying to exercise with an extra 30 pound sack of cement tied around your middle.

For the first time, I feel that there might be hope. My current body is so at odds with my self-image that it's been a real struggle, and it really doesn't do any good for people to tell me that the weight is not a problem, because it really is. If I could get to the point where I could see over my stomach to see my penis again, that would be a big step forward.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any update on Egrifta experiences that anyone cares to share. It would help! Thanks!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Current experiences with Egrifta
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:10 am »
Welcome to the forums DrEvil1 , Im glad you found us .

Im a diabetic and have a lot of internal fat that has aggravated the problem but I cant take Engrifta because of the diabetes . Your right , there have only been a few short threads here about Engrifta and I don't know anybody personally who has tried it .
Wish I could be more help .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline DrEvel1

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
Yes, I've read through LTS's description of his year with Egrifta.  Basically, it didn't do much of anything for him. I'm hoping for a better outcome myself. I have a lot invested in this working; if I can't get my body, or something analogous to it, back again, the consequences could be serious. You'd think that when you reach my age (70), you'd be beyond mundane issues such as body image. WRONG! It's also tied up with things like the ability to exercise. Well we'll see. I do have some hopeful signs; the change in firmness, the ability to get into at least a couple of pairs of pants. I'll keep you all posted, and invite your comments as well!

Thanks!

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:20 pm »
Dr   evil1   ,  got  some  personal info /experience  for you  after you make a  few more post I can send you a  PM

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline DrEvel1

Re: Current experiences with Egrifta- update
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
Well, I'm at about 2.75 months. Apart from the continuing softening of the fat layer, when I went to my Doctor a week or so ago I was able to wear a pair of trousers that a month and a half ago I couldn't get to within two inches of getting them on. I regard that as a triumph of sorts. Since I haven't been keeping systematic measurements, I'm kind of forced to fall back on waist measurements as a surrogate. I also appear to have lost some six pounds as a real thing, which is also encouraging.

also, I have had no real side-effects thus far.

All told, I am encouraged. I hope that this may be some encouragement to others as well!

Till the next update, peace be unto you all!

JD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 07:33:06 am »
Congratulations on fitting in smaller pants -- that must make you feel very good!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Bbnb

• say Hi! I love to chat !
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 06:09:45 pm »
My doctor is considering putting me on egrifta.  I have belly fat that is hard and  I cannot get rid of despite being an avid gym goer, serious about diet.   my doctors re concerned about my amylase and blood sugar numbers.  I am curious to see what other people's experiences are and I have read some of the other threads.
Just looking to socialized with like minded people.

Offline LiveHope

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 12:13:16 pm »
Hi, How did you obtain Egrifta?  In past used androgel but now insurance will not pay & my doc thinks I can't get egrifta because insurance will not cover.   Can anyone  tell me how to obtain these meds to help with  increase belly fat and fat folds on sides from prior melds or are there alternate melds that can help with this?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21:17 pm »
Hi Livehope . Welcome to the forums . It may help us help you if you do an introduction thread of your own and tell us how long you have been poz so we can get to know you .

This is only a suggestion , you are free to post where you want since you are living with HIV . Welcome and glad you found us .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline LiveHope

Re: Hi Jeff
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:07:48 pm »
Hi Jeff,
I wanted to Post just to you directly..but not sure if this is just to you or All?  I am with Partner and he has been Poz since 1993..needless to say...as many on this site..we have experienced much & are still learning how to manage living POZ.

I had been on this site when it first started years ago and I/we have been in the earlier days with the "pi-treat@pozlink forums"...(for those that might remember this)... Back in those days..the news came from a few key sources..AIDA Treatment News out of SF and now in Philadelphia, BETA , Project Inform, etc.   I am now trying to navigate around this site as it seems if I want to venture from AIDSMEDS to say POZ or other areas..I need to re-register and login again on those sites?  I will catch up. 

Thanks for your note. I greatly appreciate it. Can you confirm that for this Forum - it is OK to be posting as a Partner of someone POZ and in support of our needs. Thanks.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 01:26:55 pm »
Hi again Live , you can post in the Someone I care About forum and off topic since you are not HIV positive yourself .

Best of luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.