Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 614
Total: 617

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My mom got AYDS when I was a kid  (Read 4988 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
My mom got AYDS when I was a kid
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »

Does anyone remember these? I remember as a kid them being on the kitchen counter in the foil wrapper and I thought it was a candy bar and I ate half of it (tasted horrible)...had diarrhea the rest of the day. Mom liked it though.

The company went out of business in the 80's due to the AIDS crisis. They used slogans like "I lost weight with AYDS and you can too!" or "AYDS, helps you take weight off and keep it off" . They tried to salvage the company by changing the name to "Diet AYDS" but the damage was done.

Here are some other disasterous product names... anyone want some SHITTO?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/21622/8-disastrous-product-names
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: My mom got AYDS when I was a kid
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »
I remember them , my aunt used them and I used to sneak one or two of them when I thought I could get away with it .

I thought they were tasty but then again I kinda liked my dog Gingers Jim Dandy Dog Food too , not all of it , just the gold chunks .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:53:01 pm »
I liked the second commercial for Gaytime Bar. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:13 pm »
Does anyone remember these? I remember as a kid them being on the kitchen counter in the foil wrapper and I thought it was a candy bar and I ate half of it (tasted horrible)...had diarrhea the rest of the day. Mom liked it though.

I had a similar experience as a child. One bite and I spit is out.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:01:58 pm »
I remember them , my aunt used them and I used to sneak one or two of them when I thought I could get away with it .

I thought they were tasty but then again I kinda liked my dog Gingers Jim Dandy Dog Food too , not all of it , just the gold chunks .

Hmmmm... this explains much, grasshopper..............

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:06:04 pm »
Hmmmm... this explains much, grasshopper..............

LOL ... its a true story . My mom complained to my pediatrician about me sneaking and eating odd stuff . He put me on vitamin's and I stopped almost right away . I still chase cats though . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »
I remember seeing a box of it in the dresser drawer during my childhood but never saw Mom eating any of it.  She was really short and really thin.  Now, her daughter!  Little Doll was 360 lbs of pork sausage stuffed into a tube top with a Bible in one hand and a bad attitude in the other!  With both parents dead, I became an only child but every once in awhile...  I like to make fun of Little Doll and Butch (plain Butch).   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:35:50 pm »
".....thank goodness for AYDS ! "

Too funny.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Calison

• Struggling for 30 + years Ready for Next Big Leap!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:17:19 pm »
I remember the box in the fridge for my sister in the 1970's. I snuck one and it nearly made me throw up. :o .

My sister never kept up the AYDS Diet. I suppose she thought they tasted awful too. I remember My Mother asking sister dear "Did You eat Your Ayds", before suppertime. ;D 

Thanks for the memories!

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline ds4146

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »

I remember as a kid them being on the kitchen counter in the foil wrapper and I thought it was a candy bar and I ate half of it (tasted horrible)...had diarrhea the rest of the day. Mom liked it though.
Dearest Willy, bless your heart for starting yet another Nutritional thread!  ;D It is so clear why you have a eating disorder, but we love you just the same. Are you having another weight issue which caused this memory to upchuck itself again? Be well :P, love and hugs!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »
Willy doesn't have an eating problem . I saw him eat and eat and eat and never once did he mention eating was a problem . Of course he would have had to pause eating for a second to lodge a complaint .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline ds4146

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:57:09 pm »
Willy doesn't have an eating problem . I saw him eat and eat and eat and never once did he mention eating was a problem . Of course he would have had to pause eating for a second to lodge a complaint .
As a moderator; and we might need to call in Ann here, but when you can't drag your mouse to the appropriate site, the one you started, you might need to be corrected by a moderator to a memory lapse. So dearest Jeff, get the fork out of your mouth and help a cause and save members from another endless chatter about Miss W's eating issues :P!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 05:35:44 am »
As a moderator; and we might need to call in Ann here, but when you can't drag your mouse to the appropriate site, the one you started, you might need to be corrected by a moderator to a memory lapse. So dearest Jeff, get the fork out of your mouth and help a cause and save members from another endless chatter about Miss W's eating issues :P!

I'm staying the hell out of it!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 01:06:30 am »
Dearest Willy, bless your heart for starting yet another Nutritional thread!  ;D It is so clear why you have a eating disorder, but we love you just the same. Are you having another weight issue which caused this memory to upchuck itself again? Be well :P, love and hugs!

There is nothing wrong with a good puke after a family dinner  8)  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.