Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:10:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 425
Total: 426

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dental  (Read 5360 times)

Offline ThatsAll

Dental
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:21:12 am »
Hello to everyone. Looking for help from the much more experienced people on this board. First of all, I'd like to thank this site and the members for the vast info shared, and provided here.
I have been suffering from bad tooth pain recently. I have a tooth on my top jaw that broke really bad a while back. I think i was the ridiculous amount of coke I used to drink. Half of it is still inside my gumline. I started getting a gum boil recently. It goes and comes away. The size of a small pimple. With me having HIV, does it mean I will die from this? I am going to the dentists on Monday. Tomorrow if I can find one open Sunday. Do I have to disclose to the dentist? I know they take universal precautions, and I still have not told anyone about this,  I really don't want a dentist to be the first person I tell.
I have no Dental insurance, so I will have to pay out of my pocket. Unless they offer a payment plan, I might be screwed. Doubt my measly savings are enough to pay for a procedure like this. 
Hope to hear from someone.
My name is Javier btw. I am new here. I hope I can become as popular as some of the posters here. Read this site daily.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Dental
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:34:02 am »
With me having HIV, does it mean I will die from this?

No.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:25:55 am »
T/A-

I don't think you will need to disclose to your dentist. Like all healthcare workers, they must take universal precautions, and assume everyone that comes through their doors has some kind of infectious disease. The real thing to worry about is that your dentist isn't like Steve Martin's character in
Little Shop of Horrors Now that would be something to worry about ;)

As for the gum infection, I would think your denist should be able to advise you about how to make it go away. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:04 am »
Hello to everyone. Looking for help from the much more experienced people on this board. First of all, I'd like to thank this site and the members for the vast info shared, and provided here.
I have been suffering from bad tooth pain recently. I have a tooth on my top jaw that broke really bad a while back. I think i was the ridiculous amount of coke I used to drink. Half of it is still inside my gumline. I started getting a gum boil recently. It goes and comes away. The size of a small pimple. With me having HIV, does it mean I will die from this? I am going to the dentists on Monday. Tomorrow if I can find one open Sunday. Do I have to disclose to the dentist? I know they take universal precautions, and I still have not told anyone about this,  I really don't want a dentist to be the first person I tell.
I have no Dental insurance, so I will have to pay out of my pocket. Unless they offer a payment plan, I might be screwed. Doubt my measly savings are enough to pay for a procedure like this. 
Hope to hear from someone.
My name is Javier btw. I am new here. I hope I can become as popular as some of the posters here. Read this site daily.

Hi Javier, welcome to the forums.  Any time I seek medical attention I always advise them of my status.  They do take universal precautions to ensure their own safety, so that's not the issue.    I think it's important for them to have full knowledge of my health so they can properly treat and advise me for any problems that exist.  If it were anything to do with my oral hygiene I would disclose, especially if it was a small pimple sized bump.  Your dentist having full knowledge of your health may lead him to look down other avenues regarding this issue he wouldn't have without knowing.  I think it's in your best interest to disclose, just my opinion.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »
I found a new dentist this year here in SC.  The paperwork that they gave me to fill out at my initial appointment included a section that asked if I had certain ailments/conditions.  HIV and AIDS were listed on it and I had no problem circling that one as a big YES.  Personally, I would want my doctor or dentist to know.  If it were a job application or something like that, I may hesitate to disclose.

Offline Trace67

• Live, Love, Laugh!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:18:14 pm »
I would also disclose your status. I think that this is just part of professional mutual respect and integrity.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:13:46 pm »
same as all ppl above.
btw, last time I have disclose to the dentist, she gave me a warm "thank you".

also, I reminded the assistant to wear her protection integral glass
"oops, thanks, I thought I was wearing them"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:25:20 pm »
Welcome Javier,

I agree with all the rest, its important for health workers to know, like john2038 I have received nothing but thanks and that's included ambulance medics. I am  sure it will be the same for you.
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:11:00 pm »
Hey Javier and welcome to the forums. I have to agree with telling your dentist your status, because there are know issues that pozzies can have regarding our teeth. Think of your dentist like a mechanic. If your car was belching smoke, would you take it to a mechanic and not mention the smoke? Same thing with your dentist. The more they know about you, the better treatment you will receive and if they balk, then you don't want them as your dentist.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:17:44 am »
Do you live in a smaller town and are you currently keeping your status private?  If so, I can understand someone not wanting to tell their dentist.   

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 01:01:52 am »
Best thing might just be to ask if anyone can recommend an HIV friendly dentist in your area.  That way, you can disclose with no problems.  You should be careful about not disclosing because some state laws may require you to do so.
My dentist was recommended by another member that used to post here.  When I visited the office for the first visit, I filled out a form that had about 100 different health conditions on it.  HIV was just one of many.  I filled in that dot and nothing was ever mentioned about it after that.  Nobody has ever even mentioned in after multiple visits.
I hate to scare you, but it sounds like you've got an abscess under the tooth.  The longer you wait, the more expensive it will be to treat.  If it is an abscess, it's only a matter of time until it spreads to the adjacent teeth.

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:13:31 am »
Best thing might just be to ask if anyone can recommend an HIV friendly dentist in your area. 

Aside from "HIV friendly" and more to the point is: Does it help to have a dentist that has experience with HIV+ patients? Is there specific training that dentist could have for those with HIV?
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline TakingAChance

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:23:57 am »
Good answers to your questions. What could I chime in with. I had an abscess and waited too long. It can cause many complications for you. Ask your Dr. to recommend a Dentist. I think it's mutual respect for the medical field to disclose to people who are trying to assist or help you in health matters. I had three different Dr. 's to go to recently where I live and had to write in HIV+ as any other condition. It wasn't mentioned on any of the medical forms I filled out. I live in SO. CA. Not sure if that matters?Good Luck with that dental problem.
Fasten Your Seat Belts...It's going to be a Bumpy Ride!

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
Brought back memories when i told my dentist and He was fine with it.  His helper forgot to breath while He was drilling and over She came. I still see Him but She is not there anymore.
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline Gio

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26:24 pm »
How and were can i search for a Dentist that is HIV friendly...  Personally i would prefer that then hoping for the best. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »
How and were can i search for a Dentist that is HIV friendly...  Personally i would prefer that then hoping for the best. 

Either ask your HIV doctor for a referral or ask your ASO/case manager.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ThatsAll

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:47:59 am »
Went to the dentist. Got the badly decayed, broken tooth out. Not much pain. Cost me a cool #350. They prescribed augmentin.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.