Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is a good Doctor?  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Javicho

What is a good Doctor?
« on: November 13, 2006, 04:31:01 pm »
I have been reading a lot of your comments about good Doctors, can anyone tell me what a good Doctor is?. I think I don't have a good one, my doctor only tells me what my numbers are and that's all.
 Anyone can help me? and also if anybody knows a good one in VA, thank you guys!!!

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
Re: What is a good Doctor?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 04:41:49 pm »
Well, a good doctor is one that will work with you and listen...as far as finding one, I would suggest you contact your local ASO...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 04:59:41 pm »
Hi Javicho,

Jeromy said it. A good Doctor is someone who will listen to you as well as answer you. Explore through your choices of Doctors through your local ASO (Aids Service Organization). You will know which one is right for you.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 06:48:41 pm »
Hello Javicho,

I believe,( as has already been stated) a good doctor is one that listens to you, and listens with patience.

A good doctor is one that is compassionate and understanding of your needs. And, a good doctor, is one that has other HIV/Aids Patients, and who keeps up with all the latest medical advances, and treatments.

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 08:01:05 pm »
I absolutely concur with what all have said thus far:

A good doctor is one that:

Will listen to you.
Answer your questions.
Ask if you have any questions.
Explain himself (herself) thoroughly.
Has good bedside manners.

If it takes a couple of tries, I hope you find yourself one that you are comfortable with.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 08:20:44 pm »

My doctor takes my fears and concerns into consideration.  If I have a question she takes her time to answer and gives me her full attention.   She is thourough...  she is part of the Infectious Disease Society of America and also a member of the American College of Physicians...  She also serves as a sub investigator in clinical trials.   She has my confidence and her bed side manners are impeccable..  All in all confidence in my doctor is very important.  Now if I could just drop my stubbornness she could do her work accordingly...   

She also has one of the best asses I have ever seen.   I can't wait til the day she asks me to drop my pants just so I can display my best part... you know just to return the favor. ::)

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:38:05 am »
I can't thank Thomas for his last comment which, as I am trying to rush through the forums today, brought me to a complete, smiling, halt. :) 

I would turn this around slightly.  A good doctor/patient relationship is what we should actually be looking at, a relationship which is a partnership in which the patient takes the initiative to do some (however basic) research on his or her own about the issue(s) which he or she has concerns, brings up the issue(s) when appropriate (i.e. allowing the doctor to do his/her work with the patient until the questions period comes up), during appointments, allows the doctor to answer his or her questions and issues, hears what the patient has to say, agrees to work with the patient by coming back with more information, making referrals where needed, allowing the patient to make his or her own decision even if he or she as doctor agrees to disagree with the decision which the patient makes. 

Cases in point?  In NYC, in the dark ages, I had to drop any number of aids experts of that time because they insisted that I start AZT and I couldn't see the logic of staring a medication until (looking at CD4 numbers) I absolutely needed to do so.  A nurse practitioner last Summer read something which indicated that he should bump up the Norvir from 2 to 3 a day.  This was two months into my taking 2.  I was to see him and get labwork done in a month.  I, not he, decided to see what would happen if I continued on the 2 so as to take as few medications as necessary.  My 'study' proved that the bump up was unnecessary.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 07:01:37 am »
A good doctor is:

1) A PERSON...Not just a professional
2) Someone WHO LISTENS!
3) Someone who kicks your ass, when you are being a stubborn.
4) Someone you are not attracted to... (Yes, THAT is kinda messy)
5) Part of your "inner circle" of people who gets to know you

Have I told you I REALLY like my doc? :)

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:13:21 am »
 4) Someone you are not attracted to... (Yes, THAT is kinda messy)

To some I guess...  I guess she should have been born ugly.   How could a great doctor ever be attactive?   Thanks I knew something had to be wrong.

Since we are talking literally here... why does your doctor kick your ass?   Does he do it with a baseball bat or his fists?

Thomas

Edited to add :  Just being humorous...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:21:30 am by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 08:43:14 am »
For starters, a good doctor is your partner in keeping you well.  That means you want someone who knows about HIV/AIDS. And you are PARTNERS. Two people working together for the same goal: to keep you as well as possible.

It's someone whom you can talk openly with and who is actually listening when you speak or ask questions.

A good doctor doesn't have to be "perfect," whatever that non-existent ideal might be like, but who does have the ability to get back into the present moment with you when he/she may have been going on automatic in a conversation or examination with you.

It doesn't matter how great a reputation a doctor has. He/she has to be a good doctor for you. To some extent it's the right patient with the right doctor.

Like any relationship, it may ebb and flow, but overall you have to feel this is someone I can rely upon who is treating me respectfully.

Andy Velez

Offline Javicho

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 10:58:30 am »
Thank you all for your responds. I think I need to change my doctor I' m not feeling that she is been helping me at all, yeah my numbers are good and I'm not been sick at all but that's because I do take good care of me.

Everytime I ask my Doctor for any thing that I'm concern she never has time, I wait for her every appointment for about 45 minutes and she expend 10 minutes w/me, just she let me know what my numbers are.

I have a lot of question before I start reading (questions and answers) in this forum and I found a lot of information and answer that were in my head for a long time, thank you guys is time for me to change doctors and be more active in this Forum.

Javicho....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.