Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:06:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 643
Total: 644

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has anyone been in this clinical trial?  (Read 5148 times)

Offline bbfan2001

Has anyone been in this clinical trial?
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:20:41 pm »
hi-this is my first post. I usually keep these things to myself and my partner but I have a big decision and I would like to talk to others that have been in clinical trials. I'm 32 and I've been on Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada for about 3 years, VL < 50 and CD4 436. It's been Ok but I have struggled with  side effects that have affected work and now my cholesterol level is out of whack. My doctor wants to put me in  a clinical trial that he is in where they inject me monthly with my immune cells (after they do something to them-not sure what) so that my immune system can control the HIV. He said (but he doesn't have that many patients yet) that there haven't been any side effects but that a couple patients viral loads went from undect. to < 5000 but not higher. I would be on the trial for 2 years and then I would have to go back to ARV. What would you do?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Has anyone been in this clinical trial?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »
Is this the VRX496 study that U-Penn is doing?  If so there are several threads on this if you do a search.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bbfan2001

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:26 pm »
Thanks-but no it isn't. However,  when I was reading some of the old  posts on that study I think I found the kind of immune therapy it is-dentritic cell therapy. It is an old post but he said the studies were being done in China. I'm not in China. So I'm wondering if studies are being started here in the US.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:27:11 am »
I've never been in a clinical trial but I would certainly not be against one if I felt, after doing my own research, that it was something truly promising.

I think the most important thing for you to do is find out exactly which trial this is because then it would be easier to do a little research that could help you make a decision. Some of the clinical trials are more promising than others. 

If you would be going off HAART then it couldn't possibly be a "placebo-controlled" trial since that sounds unethical.

Maybe you can ask your doctor the "clinical trials identifier" number so you can look it up on www.clinicaltrials.gov for starters?

Offline veritas

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:48:50 am »

bbfan2001,

Could this be the trial?:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00833781

The location is Mass.General Hospital in Boston.

v

Offline bbfan2001

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:22:50 am »
Thanks-I've got a call in to see if I can get a number. Should I be worried if I do go on the trial and my VL goes up to 5000 but my CD4 stays good like he mentioned happened to some others?

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:37:55 am »
You should bear in mind that this a placebo controlled trial.

There is a 50% chance you will get no active treatment. This effectively means you will be on a treatment break, your viral load will go up, and CD4 down.

If your CD4 count was ever below 200 I would consider not doing this study.

This said, viral load of 5,000 is probably not too harmful over 2 years if your CD4 count stays up.

There are many other combos besides yours, and in my book a responsible doc's first response to intolerable side effects is to try other approved agents, not recommend a study.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:45:39 am »

There are many other combos besides yours, and in my book a responsible doc's first response to intolerable side effects is to try other approved agents, not recommend a study.

- matt[/font]

This can't be emphasized enough.  Also, I'd be interested to know exactly what intolerable side effects the OP got from his Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada combo as from all I see it's not high on the list for side effects, save for the possible 10-day yellowing phenomena.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 12:11:05 pm »

There is a 50% chance you will get no active treatment. This effectively means you will be on a treatment break, your viral load will go up, and CD4 down.

- matt

I know that there are many placebo-controlled trials but I thought the ones that involve going off HAART can't be placebo-controlled for ethical reasons? I could be wrong, though.

At any rate he should find out exactly what trial this would be.

Offline bbfan2001

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:24:07 pm »
Thanks for the input, but I found out from the nurse that it is not placebo controlled-but I would be randomized to a differnet dose. My cholesterol is dangerously high even on Crestor and my doctor/I am afraid I will have a heart attack. I am young, exercise and don't eat that bad so it may be genetics but since  my liver enzymes are also now elevated I don't have as many options.
I see the doctor tomorrow and will figure it out.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 01:45:24 pm »
I'd be very curious to know which trial this is. If you could let us know once you have the information that would be great.

Hang in there, sounds like you have a pretty good doctor.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 04:10:16 pm »
My apologies, I was commenting on the study in the link given above in this thread.

bbfan2001 - good luck, sorry you find yourself between a rock and a hard place.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline dadx4

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »
Your doctor may be referring to the trial at UPenn being done by Sangamo.  What they do is withdraw your dna and they "slice" the ccr5 gene out of it.   Then the inject it back in you and you will not have that gene anymore.   In theory they believe that if you don't have the gene your immune system will fight off HIV from spreading.      

This is the trial

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00842634/

Going by this they are still recruiting for this trial and if any of you qualify you should consider it. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:16:46 pm by dadx4 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.